Doodles and Light Post

Out of Reach
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Doodles and Light Post

 

 

  

 

“Alright class, I have a final project for you to do for the school year.” The entire class started groaning in protest. Their professor in Social Studies is known for giving out very hard projects. And while everyone was complaining about the project, Tiffany was oblivious to the world. She was living in her own world, just doodling at the back of her pink notebook. She was drawing the lady embracing the knock off Hermes Bag that she saw in the bus with Seung Hyun.

 

 

“Calm down everyone. I know you are going to be busy with final projects and all. I’m not going to make it hard for you. This will be a project in groups of two.” The class made a sigh of relief. The professor then raised a book from the desk.

 

 

“You’re going to do a book report of ‘The Catcher in the Rye’ by J.D. Salinger.” The class started talking to each other, and most of the students were already talking to their respective close friends in class so they could be partners.

 

 

“Great! Tiffany, we’re going to my place later so we can plan on this book report after we watch re-runs of TVD Season 1.” Taeyeon said to the absent minded Tiffany out loud. They were seated on the third row of the class so the professor easily heard Taeyeon.

 

 

“Sorry to burst all your bubbles class, but as part of this project, you’ll have to choose a partner that’s outside of your circle of friends…a classmate that you’ve either never bothered talking to or ignored since time immemorial. And you’re also going to make a report about your partner and what you learned from him or her.”

 

 

“WHAT!!! NO!” The whole class ranted. They were all talking at the same time, complaining to the unmoved professor.

 

 

Tiffany was almost finished with her drawing and was immersed with it that she was oblivious when the class became quiet.

 

 

Everyone went quiet when Seung Hyun stood up. He slowly walked in the aisle towards the front of the classroom. All eyes were on him and they were waiting for his next move. He stopped just right behind Taeyeon and gently tapped her shoulder.

 

 

Taeyeon looked at Seung Hyun and then silently stood up to give way. Seung Hyun took her seat and just looked at the oblivious Tiffany silently. 

 

 

Taeyeon got her bag and then searched the empty seat left by Seung Hyun. She then looked at Jiyong who was listening to some music, hiding his earphones with his hair. She was glaring at Jiyong. She couldn’t believe she’d be force to partner with one of the weirdest guy in class. She was already imagining how difficult it’s going to be. She took a deep breath and took the empty seat, and sat beside Jiyong.

 

 

“I can’t believe this. This is going to be a nightmare.” Taeyeon said under her breath while closing her eyes in despair.

 

 

“You can always choose Shin Dong as your partner. He’s looking at you right now.” Jiyong said while tapping his desk, making some beats. Taeyeon looked at him in surprise, she didn’t know he could hear her because of his earphones. She then looked towards Shin Dong’s seat and indeed he was looking at her, waving eagerly.

 

 

“Oh god. No.” Taeyeon groaned. She doesn’t want to be partnered with Shin Dong, he has the smelliest breath in the entire senior batch.

 

 

“Looks like you’re stuck with me.” Jiyong smirked, annoying Taeyeon all the more.

 

 

Seung Hyun took his time and silently observed Tiffany draw.

 

 

“Wow. That’s really on point.” Seung Hyun finally said in his usual low voice. Tiffany gasped and jerked her head towards Seung Hyun. Her face reddened in a matter of seconds. She thank the odds because it was sheer luck that she didn’t lift the page at the back because it was full of doodles of Seung Hyun and her name, with all the heart shapes, swirls, and stars around them.

 

 

“What…How…” Tiffany stuttered.

 

 

"You're really good." Seung Hyun murmured while leaning towards her, looking at the drawing in amazement. Her drawing was sort of an animé version of the lady with the Hermes bag but she captured the scene perfectly.

 

 

"Uhm...that's nothing really...I was just bored..." Tiffany mumbled while trying to cover the drawing with her hands but she suddenly got conscious for Seung Hyun might look at her hands. 

 

 

“We’re doing a book report about The Catcher in the Rye. I’m going to be your partner.” Seung Hyun announced in a matter of fact tone of voice, suavely telling her that she’s going to be his partner without bothering for an invitation.

 

 

"Oh." That was all Tiffany could muster to say. She was caught in excitement and shock with what's happening. She didn't even have the time to complain on the additional load of work because of the book report. All she could think about is that Seung Hyun is going to be her partner. After years and years of being his classmate...he's going to be her partner.

 

 

“You told me not to be a stranger in school and here you are still being the oblivious girl…” Seung Hyun said, smiling casually while stretching his arms forward.  Tiffany held her breath. The universe must be indeed working in her favor these past few weeks. But she couldn’t help but question the universe on why this is only happening now…now that the school year is almost over.

 

 

*****

 

 

“So what did you and your Seung Hyun talk about?” Taeyeon asked as they both sat down on their usual table during lunch. Tiffany took a deep breath and then bit on her apple, not hearing a word Taeyeon said. She was trying to re-live in her head, the moments with Seung Hyun earlier that day. 

 

 

Taeyeon threw a French fry on Tiffany’s tray, startling her. Taeyeon shook her head at her best friend.

 

 

“I don’t get why you’re getting more and more oblivious these days. It’s probably because of that guy again.” Taeyeon chuckled. Tiffany just smiled at her sheepishly. She didn't tell Taeyeon about her recent encounters with Seung Hyun. She felt like she didn’t want to share those moments with anyone else yet. She wanted to keep it to herself because it felt like if someone else knew, then it would not feel like it really happened and it was just a figment of her imagination.

 

 

“He and I will be meeting up for the book report this Saturday…” Tiffany mumbled with her head down, smiling to herself.

 

 

“He has work on Saturdays so I’ll meet him up there after lunch…” Tiffany continued.

 

 

Taeyeon just loo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter