Out of Reach

Out of Reach
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Out of Reach

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany struggled with three bags of materials she purchased for her new designs. She stopped in front of her building and sighed heavily.

 

 

Sixth Floor and the building’s elevator is under maintenance again.

 

 

It was half past six in the evening, the sky is grey and the wind is cold. Like the busy city of New York, she’s had a very busy day. She had to go straight to her day job in the coffee shop near Parsons, then go straight to school and purchase her materials. She pulled her shoulder bag that almost fell off and then took another deep breath before walking inside.

 

 

“Good evening Tiffany.” The building’s security guard greeted.

 

 

“Hello Tim. How’s your day been?” Tiffany smiled, stopping in front of the guard to catch her breath.

 

 

“Certainly not as exhausting as it has been for you. A package came for you today. It was too big to be placed in the mail box. It’s with Jane.” Tim chuckled and nodded over to the receptionist. He looked at Tiffany’s small frame.

 

 

“Do you want me to help you with those?” He offered. Tiffany shook her head.

 

 

“I can manage. I may not be as big as you but my arms can hold up. Besides, I don’t want you to be in trouble for leaving your post.” Tiffany laughed softly and bade Tim goodbye.

 

 

After what seemed like eternity, Tiffany was able to reach her apartment. She kicked off her shoes and placed her things on the coffee table. She sat on the couch, put her feet up and wiggled her toes. She sighed and closed her eyes.

 

 

The last few months of her life had been very busy. But she liked being busy. Up to this very moment, it still hadn’t synced in that she’s actually in New York, studying in Parsons with Taeyeon as her housemate and with a day job to shoulder her daily expenses. Her life turned 180 degrees and she’s been too busy to take it all in.

 

 

Her phone buzzed. Taeyeon messaged her that she’s going to be late. Tiffany quickly replied and put the phone on the table. The package she just got finally caught her attention. She leaned forward to reach it and placed it on her lap. She dusted the box and saw that it was a packaged from her parents. Her brows furrowed, wondering what it might be. She wasn’t expecting anything from them.

 

 

She slowly tore the package and opened the box. She gasped as soon as she saw their high school yearbook. She lifted the heavy hardbound yearbook. Her fingers ghosted over the red and white cover. Their school’s color. And just like that, all of her high school’s best memories came rushing back. And it all centered in one person. Choi Seung Hyun.

 

 

She lifted each page with much eagerness and as if she was jolted by an invisible shock, she stopped at Seung Hyun’s page. Her heart lurched and she felt this tiny grip in her heart. He could still make her feel that way. Even with just a picture.

 

 

Her moments with him were never forgotten. Those memories are what put her to sleep each night in the busy but lonely New York City. Like a hum of lullaby, she remembers his laughter and her heart flutters effortlessly.

 

 

As she went by the pages, she came across their graduation pictures.

 

 

Graduation day…that fateful day of their graduation…

 

 

Right after Tiffany and Seung Hyun shared that sweet lingering kiss, they were interrupted by the sudden switching of light from the restaurant. Tiffany’s father had been waiting for her inside. So they agreed to meet up right after the Graduation Ceremony.

 

 

Tiffany remembered being so anxious that graduation day. She couldn’t really think of anything else but meeting up with Seung Hyun. So right after the ceremony was over, she looked around the hall and didn’t see Seung Hyun. They agreed to meet up outside the hall.

 

 

“Girl!!! OMG!!! Let’s go meet up mom and dad and your parents! I’ve been dying to tell you something!!! I can’t wait any longer!” Taeyeon interrupted her reverie. Taeyeon's face was full of excitement. She looked like a giddy little girl dying to spill a big secret.

 

 

“Taeyeon. You go ahead. I just need to do something. I’ll be back in a minute.” Tiffany said absentmindedly. She started walking, leaving no opportunity for Taeyeon to stop her.

 

 

She went towards the front entrance of their school’s auditorium hall. Her eyes scanned the stairs until her eyes landed on the other end of the front entrance. There she saw Seung Hyun. Her heart fell into a bottomless pit.

 

 

Seung Hyun was there. But so was a beautiful girl. She was cupping Seung Hyun’s face and he was smiling down at her, his eyes glittering. They both looked like they were wrap in their own bubble and the rest of the world didn’t exist.

 

 

The girl gave him a big warm hug and he just smiled and hugged her back. Seung Hyun looked at his watch and it was right then that their eyes met. He slowly entangled himself from the girl and his eyes fixated on Tiffany.

 

 

Tiffany’s feet felt heavy but she managed to take slow steps to meet him half way. All the while, her mind was racing. She didn’t know what to say. She didn’t know what to do. How could she be so foolish? Why didn’t she think that someone like Seung Hyun would be single? She bit her lip and swallowed the lump on . She can’t back away and she had to face Seung Hyun. At least she had this moment to say her goodbye to her high school love. They were holding each other’s gaze and the world felt like it was moving in slow motion.

 

 

“Tiffany!!! There you are! You said you’re only going to be gone a minute! We’ve been looking all over for you!” Taeyeon’s voice interrupted them. Tiffany looked to her side and saw Taeyeon, with both their parents not far behind. The oblivious Taeyeon ran towards her and squealed.

 

 

“I CAN’T WAIT!!! OMG I REALLY HAVE TO TELL YOU NOW OR I’M GOING TO BURST! WE BOTH GOT IN!!! WE’RE BOTH GOING TO PARSONS!!! FORGET SEOUL UNI!!! FORGET DCC!!! WE’RE GOING TO NEW FREAKIN YORK!!!” Taeyeon squealed and jumped like a hyper baby.

 

 

“I got the letter a few days ago. I had to keep it a secret because knowing you, you’re not gonna do anything and brush this aside. So I spoke to dad. You know how he is. He doesn’t want me to go living in New York on my own. So I gave him a business proposal.” Taeyeon spoke so fast, not waiting for Tiffany’s reaction until she was finished.

 

 

“Then I talked to your parents. Then my dad and your parents met up. So basically this is how it’s going to be…my dad will pay for your school fees…” Tiffany gasped in shock and was about to interrupt her but Taeyeon raised her index finger to stop her.

 

 

“Now hold up. I’m not finished yet. I know you won’t accept it without anything in retur

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter