Chapter 7

LACRIMOSA

 

"This world is truly fascinating," Seohyun commented, observing all the people around her move about.

 

"Uh huh," Yoona absent mindedly responded, her gaze fixated over the tall buildings around them.

 

While on their quest, the two mages often found themselves distracted by the various sights around them. The people, the buildings and other constructions; everything was so new and fascinating to them. Especially to Seohyun who was always so eager to learn and discover new things.

 

"It's so different and so wonderful, isn't it Yoona?" Seohyun asked turning back to her friend, who still had her head raised up high.

 

"These buildings have a lot of windows," Yoona said, pointing to the tall buildings around her. Seohyun grinned a toothy smile and looked up to the buildings as well. What else caught her notice were the various banners and boards on the buildings. The all featured different kinds of imagary, some seemingly advertising certain products and some showcasing beautiful people. They did not have such things in Essinia.

 

While holding the compass in her hands, Seohyun let her eyes wander over the hoard of people before her, taking keen interest in their looks and attires. She spotted a woman standing nearby her, dressed in a long black coat, a shoulder bag slung over her shoulder, her brown hair consisting of light highlights. Seohyun couldn't help but to admire her clean cut look and walked up to the young lady.

 

"Excuse me," Seohyun tapped the woman on her shoulder to obtain her attention, "you look very refined and stylish," Seohyun complimented with a sincere the smile. Thrown by the stranger's random comment, the young lady began inching away from Seohyun.

 

Seohyun watched with confused eyes as the lady turned the other direction and walked away.

 

"Don't do that," Yoona giggled.

 

"I only offered her a compliment," Seohyun said with innocent eyes.

 

"Let's just focus on what we have to do for now," Yoona said as she took Seohyun's hand and continued walking. They walked through the city crowd, diligently following the compass' direction. A group of people had gathered by the edge of the sidewalk but the two mages paid them no mind and pushed through them. The two girls began to make their way across the road, unaware of the oncoming traffic of cars.

 

"Seohyun look out!" Yoona yelled, quickly pulling back the younger girl as a car swerved around them, blaring its horn at the two girls. "Watch it!" Yoona shouted at the car as it drove away.  Holding onto Seohyun's arm, the two girls quickly scurried across the road, avoiding the other cars.

 

"That was very close," Seohyun said as they reached the other side of the road, "we need to be more care-"

 

"Hey! You two!" a voice called out to the two girls. Seohyun and Yoona turned around to see a man in a blue outfit approach them.

 

"You can't cross the road like that!" the man reprimanded the two girls as he stood before them.

 

Yoona spared a glance at the road behind them addressing the man with blameless eyes. "We can't?"

 

"Of course not! Not when there's oncoming traffic!"

 

The two girls looked back at the road behind them and then became aware of the group of people halted at the other side. They now realized they had perhaps stopped for the cars on the road to pass by first. Seohyun turned back to the man and noticed a silver badge over his shirt, it gave her the impression that this man must be someone of law authority.

 

"We're terribly sorry sir," Seohyun apologized, bowing her head, "we were not familiar with this law. You see we are not from this…" Seohyun trailed off for a moment, cautious of her next words. She saw Yoona side eyeing her but cleared and spoke once again. "This country," she answered.

 

"Not crossing the road with oncoming traffic is a pretty common law in almost every country," the police man said, laying his hands on his waist.

 

"Well you see, we are from a… different sort of place," Seohyun hesitantly spoke.

 

"Oh? From where?" the police man asked.

 

Seohyun spared a cautious glance to Yoona. She would have to answer very cautiously but she possessed very limited knowledge of Earth and its geography. She would have to answer with whatever she knew.

 

Seohyun put on a smile before speaking up again. "Antarctica!"

 

The police man was silent for a moment. “What?"

 

"From the southern region," Seohyun said, showing confidence in her words to seem more convincing.

 

"Antarctica?" the police man said.

 

"Yeah, Antarctica!" Yoona responded, trusting Seohyun with her response to the officer.

 

The police man could only bemusedly look back and forth between the two girls who beamed brightly at him.

 

-

 

Sunny cautiously peeked her head around the corner and watched three girls walk down into the corridor. She could not believe she had found the Key so quickly. She was wary of the compass being mistaken but if the Key really was right before her, it would prove to be immaculately convenient. The sooner they could return home with the Key, the better.

 

Sunny slipped into the corridor as well and silently followed behind the three girls, amongst whom the tall brunette carried the Key. They had left the University building a while ago and walked a short distance to the student's dormitory complex. Sunny kept her distance from the three, careful not to be spotted. She would spare glances at the compass in her hand and it continued to show she was indeed on the trail of the Key.

 

After ascending a few flight of stairs, the three girls walked into another corridor. Sunny took cover from behind the corner of the wall as she watched the girls walked further down the corridor. They eventually came to a stop at a door and proceeded through it.

 

-

 

"So glad we have one more final left," Hyomin said as she plopped down onto the bed, "I'm just about ready to drop dead."

 

"My brain stopped functioning half way through," Hyomin's friend Sunhwa commented as she laid down beside Hyomin.

 

"Was your brain working to begin with?" the third girl, Hara, teased as she sat by her desk. Hyomin giggled at her quirk while Sunhwa stuck her tongue out at her. "Anyways, guess what?" Hara said.

 

"What?" Hyomin asked lifting her head up.

 

“I finally broke up with Junghyun,"

 

“Really?" Hyomin sprung up into a sitting position. “Didn’t you say you were going to do that ages ago?”

 

“I just couldn’t find the right moment!” Hara said.

 

“And you chose after he introduced you to his parents?” Sunhwa spoke sitting up as well.

 

“You met his parents?!” Hyomin exclaimed.

 

"I know, I know but I couldn’t take it! He was getting too clingy!" Hara explained.

 

"He was gonna pop the question," Hyomin stated.

 

"What?" Hara asked.

 

"He wanted his parent's approval before he popped the question," Sunhwa answered.

 

“You broke up with the man just as he had his heart set on marrying you,” Hyomin mockingly shook her head disapprovingly.

 

“How heartbroken he must be now,” Sunhwa added, imitating Hyomin’s action.

 

"Oh please, he wasn’t going to ask me to marry him!" Hara said.

 

"It’s good you broke up with him before he did it though. Otherwise before you know it, you were gonna drop out of college to become a house wife with five kids and another on the way," Hyomin nonchalantly spoke.

 

"You are terrible," Hara said to the imaginative girl.

 

"But wise," Hyomin responded with a smirk.

 

"Yet both of you are still single," Hara said.

 

"We choose to be single," Hyomin classily stated.

 

"What?" Sunhwa looked at Hyomin, "no you loser, why would I choose to be single!" Sunhwa whined, smacking Hyomin on her shoulder.

 

Hara laughed at the two girls but her attention was drawn away by the sudden knocking at the door.

 

-

 

"What am I even suppose to say?" Sunny spoke to herself as she stood before the door through which her target had walked. She had stood back for a while, silently watching the door until she finally decided to step forward and knock. She realized now she did not truly know how she would approach this situation. She knew once they would find the Key, they would need to confiscate it and immediately return home. Sunny had not thought of what they would do if a person possessed the Key.

 

She was not allowed much time to think before the door before her opened and revealed a petite girl with long brown hair.

 

"Hello," Hara greeted the girl before her.

 

"Um, hello," Sunny spoke hesitantly but tried to maintain her exposure. "C-could I speak to the other girl?"

 

Hara's brows furrowed in confusion, "other girl?"

 

"Yes, um, the tall one," Sunny described lifting her hand above her head, "with dark hair."

 

"Do you mean Hyomin?" Hara asked.

 

"Yes!" Sunny exclaimed, suddenly recalling the name they had called the girl before. "Hyomin, that's right.

 

Hara turned her head back into the room to the girl in question lying on the bed. "Hey Hyomin, it's for you."

 

"Me?" Hyomin asked lifting her head up. Who would be looking for her in her friend's dorm?

 

Hyomin lifted herself off the bed and walked over to the door while Hara returned back into the room. She stood before the open doorway to be greeted by her short but cute brunette who seemed awfully nervous.

 

"Hello," Hyomin greeted the unfamiliar girl.

 

"Um," Sunny stared slightly wide eyed at the girl before, "hi… Hyomin, was it?"

 

"That's me," Hyomin smiled and nodded her head.

 

"Uh, I'm Sunny," Sunny introduced herself. She fell silent after that, unsure of how to continue. Hyomin simply stared back at the small girl, waiting for her to continue speaking but she remained standing silently. Hyomin's eye instinctively looked right and left, as if waiting for something further to happen.

 

"Can I help you with something?" Hyomin spoke up. Sunny cleared , inwardly chiding herself for falling so tense.

 

"I, um," Sunny trailed off, quickly retrieving the compass from her pocket.  Keeping it covered in her hand from the girl's view, she lifted it up to see the compass’ arrow pointing straight ahead and the gem glowing brightly. Sunny took a peek at the girl from around her hand, who watched Sunny curiously.

 

Sunny still felt uncertain if she indeed had found the Key. She needed to be absolutely sure.

 

"Could you hold out your hand for me?" Sunny asked the girl.

 

"Why?" Hyomin asked cautiously.

 

"Just for a second. I need to see something," Sunny tried to explain. Ever so hesitantly, Hyomin extended out her right hand. Sunny then placed the compass into Hyomin's extended hand. As soon as the compass made contact with Hyomin, it burst into a magnificent glow, stronger than before, the needle spinning uncontrollably and an unfamiliar ancient script appearing over its surface.

 

"What is that?" Hyomin asked wide eyed, left surprised by the spectacle within her hand. Sunny looked up to the girl with astonished eyes. Could she truly have found the Key? Though was the Key inside this girl, or did she perhaps have it with her? She recalled being explained how the Key would dissolve into a human's being if they were to make contact with it. Perhaps this girl found the Key and became one with it.

 

"Do you by any chance possess a key?" Sunny awkwardly asked.

 

"A key?" Hyomin asked, cocking an eyebrow.

 

"I mean, not exactly a key but it looks like a crystal. Do you have anything of the sort?" Sunny asked again.

 

Hyomin averted her eyes while she fell into deep though. "No, don't think so."

 

"Are you sure? Never came across any sort of crystal?"

 

Hyomin shook her head in response again.

 

"Just think really hard. You must have come across it. Maybe a long time ago?"

 

"I really don't have or remember any crystal," Hyomin said.

 

Sunny sighed as she looked back down at the glowing compass. This would be more difficult than she thought. On one hand this girl could not recollect the Key but the compass clearly indicated she possessed it. Ryeowook would not hand them a faulty instrument. He would make sure they were in perfect working order and Sunny certainly never doubted Ryeowook's handiwork.

 

"What exactly do you want?" Hyomin asked the short girl. Sunny looked back up to the girl; if she could take this girl to the others, she could see if their compasses reacted in the same manner.

 

"I need you to come with me," Sunny said.

 

"Why?" Hyomin asked in return.

 

Sunny took a deep breath. She would have to choose her next words carefully.

 

"I'm from a different world, galaxies away from your planet Earth, called Kaia. Recently a scorned legendary war lord from hundreds of years ago who was banished for his evil ways has escaped his imprisonment and now is wreaking havoc in our country, Essinia, in an act of revenge and the only way to stop him is to find the Key that would lock him away again and that very Key is most likely inside you," Sunny exhaled, having spoken in a single breath. Considering the blank stare Hyomin was giving her, she possibly could have been more careful with her words.

 

Hyomin stared back at the short brunette, her mind trying to process the farfetched information she just received. She was not sure what she was to think or how she was to respond. Sunny tapped her fingers together, patiently waiting for the girl to come out of her trance.

 

Hyomin then squinted her eyes at Sunny before finally speaking. "You're not one of those guys from the occult club, are you?"

 

"Huh?" Sunny voiced.

 

"Oh I see what this is," Hyomin said, a relieved smile breaking onto her face, "you want to recruit me into your club, right?"

 

"Club? Wait, no-"

 

"I'm sorry but I'm not really interested," Hyomin said as she handed the compass back to Sunny before turning back into the room.

 

"Wait, listen to me!" Sunny said as she grabbed the girl by her arm and turned her back around, "I'm serious, I need your help!"

 

"I'm sorry I'm not-"

 

"People are dying," Sunny uttered, her eyes showing sincere woe, "you may just be our world's only hope."

 

"Your world's only hope?" Hyomin asked. Sunny nodded her head. "Yeah then you've likely got the wrong person," Hyomin chuckled.

 

"But-"

 

"The compass effect was nice though," Hyomin commented before returning into the room.

 

"Wait!" Sunny couldn't speak any further before the door was shut in her face.

 

"Who was that?" Hara asked.

 

"Oh someone from that occult club," Hyomin casually answered as she walked back to the bed, "trying to recruit me by saying I was their world's only hope," she said, plopping back down onto the bed.

 

"Their world is doomed," Hara said. Hyomin retorted by throwing a pillow at the laughing, petite girl.

 

Outside the room, Sunny franticly pressed the buttons on her cell phone to call Shinyoung. She placed the phone to her ear and anxiously waited for Shingyoung to answer.

 

"Sunny?" Shinyoung's voice sounded from the other end.

 

"Shinyoung! Where are you?!"

 

"Where are you?! I've been looking all over for you!"

 

"I followed the girl into the dormitory building."

 

"Does she have the key?"

 

"I don't know, she says she doesn't but the compass reacts around her. I tried to get her to come with me but she wouldn't listen!"

 

"What did you say to her?"

 

"I told her I was from a different world, galaxies from Earth, and that a scorned legendary war lord-"

 

"Ok Sunny, stop right there," Shinyoung interrupted the girl, "on Earth, if you say you're from a different planet, that alone will have people thinking you're crazy."

 

"I am perfectly sane!" Sunny exclaimed.

 

"Alright just stay there and I'm on my way. Where in the building are you?"

 

"The 5th floor."

 

-

 

"I'm sorry but you can't enter without a badge or an appointment," a security guard spoke to the two girls before him.

 

"We just need to get in there for a moment," Jessica persisted, "we'll be out of your hair before you know it!"

 

"Sorry, can't do," the guard said.

 

"Jessica," Yuri said as she approached Jessica from behind and slightly pulled her back, "maybe we should just find a different route."

 

Jessica grunted. Having made their way into the city, their compass had led them towards this building. They were unsure of the nature of this company building but it seemed very exclusive as the security was not allowing any non-staff members to pass. Jessica bit her bottom lip, feeling very annoyed but decided to try one more time. She stepped towards the security guard again.

 

"Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough before," Jessica stated. The security guard rolled his eyes at the relentless girl but beared with her. "I am in fact a princess."

 

The security guard cocked an eyebrow at the girl, "a princess?"

 

"Oh gosh," Yuri groaned as she dropped her face into her palm.

 

"Yes," Jessica stated, lifting her chin up, "I am Princess Jessica. You may not recognize me without my crown or flock of armed guards but I demand you let me pass or I shall have my minion attack you."

 

The security guard look around Jessica to her 'minion' who only frantically waved her hands to retain her innocence.

 

"Look lady," the security guard sighed, "I don't really care who you are but the only way you're getting through is with an appointment or a badge," the security said as he held up his own staff badge. "Have a good day," he said before turning away.

 

"Hmph," Jessica huffed, "wretched peasant."

 

-

 

"Now aren't you being a little too sensitive over some silly words from a little lady like me?" Jessica remarked as she and Yuri were being escorted out of the building by the security guard along with another. Once they reached the entrance, the security guards shoved the girls outside.

 

"Stay out," the security guard warned before returning inside the building. Jessica marched behind, threateningly raising her hand.

 

"Oh no you don't!" Yuri quickly grabbed Jessica's hand and pulled her back. "No magic!" she reminded her. She let go of the temperamental girl and retrieved the compass from her pocket. It pointed west towards the building but as they could not go through, they would need to find some other way around. "Let's just find other way, alright?"

 

"Urgh," Jessica stomped her feet on the ground, "this is so frustrating."

 

"Come on Princess Sica," Yuri said as she held Jessica's hand and led her away.

 

"Hey look!" Jessica said as she pointed up ahead, "it's Sooyoung and Hyoyeon!" In the distance was indeed Sooyoung and Hyoyeon, walking in their direction but had not noticed Yuri and Jessica yet.

 

"Let's go," Yuri said as the two girls jogged up to their companions.

 

"Yuri! Jessica!" Sooyoung exclaimed once she noticed the two girls in the short distance. She and Hyoyeon picked up their pace to meet them half way. "You're here too."

 

"Looks like the compass eventually brought us all back onto the same path," Yuri said as she held up her compass.

 

"No luck for you guys so far?" Jessica asked, looking between the other two.

 

"Nope," Sooyoung said before turning to Hyoyeon, "just bad luck really," the tall girl grumbled. Hyoyeon simply nervously chuckled.

 

"Why?" Yuri asked, "what happened?"

 

"Oh nothing," Hyoyeon said, smiling bashfully, "just got chased by an angry mother, a mail man and baker."

 

Jessica's mouth dropped open. "Why?"

 

"You don't wanna know really," Sooyoung assured her.

 

"Well since we're all here, should we continue on together?" Yuri suggested.

 

"Sure, sounds good to me," Sooyoung said.

 

-

 

Sunny paced down the long corridor, anxiously waiting for Shinyoung to arrive. She walked over to the window at the end of the hall and took a look outside.

 

'Where are you Shinyoung?' Sunny thought to herself. Unable to help herself, she brought her phone back out again and dialed Shinyoung's number.

 

"Hello?" Shinyoung's voice sounded.

 

"Are you here yet?" Sunny eagerly asked.

 

"Yeah, yeah, I just reached the building. I got a little lost," Shinyoung said.

 

"Be quick! Who knows, they might leave any-uh oh…"

 

"What? What's wrong?"

 

Sunny had turned around in time to see Hyomin along with her friends making their way out of the hall way.

 

"They're leaving!" Sunny exclaimed into the phone as she quickly rushed to catch up to them as they turned the corner of the hallway.

 

"Follow them! I'll be with you soon!"

 

Sunny hung up the phone and raced after the three girls. Once she caught up with them, she once again kept her distance, hiding behind every corner as they turned into each staircase. When they finally reached the ground floor, Sunny remained over the last flight of stairs, slowly following behind the three girls. Her eyes then widened when Shinyoung came into view and walked into the three girls who simply made way for the short woman to pass.

 

"Shinyoung!" Sunny called to her in a hushed voice as she rushed up to her.

 

"Sunny! Where's-"

 

Sunny shushed her with her hand and spun her around. "That was her! The tall one!"

 

"That was her?!" Shinyoung exclaimed.

 

"Yes, now come on!" Sunny said as the two sped after their target who was starting to get further away. Once they had reached outside, they were greeted by a crowd of students that deterred their pace behind Hyomin. Sunny dodged the barrage of students and sped up, momentarily losing sight of Shinyoung beside her but she kept after the three girls.

 

Hyomin and her friends had walked out of the vicinity and approached a vehicle by the side of the road. Sunny quickened her pace even further, eventually breaking out into a run as the girls sat down into the car. She ran as fast as she could but car had already begun to move.

 

"Wait!" she yelled as she made it to the car but was too late as it sped past her. Sunny stepped onto the road and watched the car drive away into the distance.

 

"Sunny, get back!" Sunny heard Shinyoung's voice call to her and before she could react, she felt a hand tug at her arm and pull her off the road. At the same time, Sunny’s grip on her compass that she still carried in her hand, loosened.

 

Shinyoung had pulled Sunny back onto the sidewalk just before another car drove by, blaring its horn at them.

 

"Be careful when you're on the road!" Shinyoung reprimanded the short girl whom however was not paying attention to her.

 

"Shinyoung, I dropped the compass," Sunny said, her alarmed eyes fixated on the ground in search of her missing compass.

 

"What?" Shinyoung began searching the ground as well with Sunny. Eventually both spotted the compass on the road side, shattered.

 

"Oh no," Sunny moaned as she went to pick up the pieces of the compass. When she had dropped it as Shinyoung pulled her off the road, it was likely the car had run over it. It was complete dissembled and would not serve as any use to them anymore. "Now what do we do?" Sunny desolately asked the elder woman. "Do you think we can catch up with them?"

 

"My car's parked too far away. There's no way we'd be able to find them," Shinyoung frowned as she looked down the road, no trace of the car in sight. Sunny groaned and tossed her head back. They were so close, the Key was right there in arm's reach and they had let it get away. Shinyoung looked back to the university's dormitory building and a thought occurred to her. "Not all hope is lost. At least we now know she attends this university."

 

"So?"

 

"So that means she eventually be back. Likely tomorrow morning though," Shinyoung explained.

 

"So we have to wait till tomorrow?" Sunny questioned.

 

"Or, since we've basically found the Key, we could bring everyone back together again. The other's have compasses as well."

 

"Yes," Sunny smiled, regaining hope, "let's do that!"

 

Shinyoung brought out her cell phone and began dialing away.

 

-

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany were standing by a sidewalk, waiting for the street signal to allow the people to cross the road. They had been walking for a long time now, following the compass' trail but despite their fatigue they kept moving forward.

 

Taeyeon curiously looked around her, still finding fascination in her surroundings. When she looked over to Tiffany's side, she noticed a young man admiringly observing Tiffany. Tiffany looked over to Taeyeon, noticing the odd expression on her face and looked in the opposite direction to find what had caught her friend's eyes. Upon meeting with Tiffany's gaze, the young man offered her a smile. Tiffany felt her lips turn upwards as she averted the young and attractive man's gaze. She took another glance at him to see he was still looking at her.

 

"You have a nice smile," he said to her. In response, Tiffany broke out into one of her toothy, bright smiles.

 

"Thanks," she shyly responded to the man. Taeyeon rolled her eyes as she witnessed the scene before her.

 

"What about me?" Taeyeon asked as she leaned forward and put on the widest grin she could muster. While Tiffany laughed at Taeyeon's action, the young man was left staggered by her rather eerie smirk.

 

"Um, you too," the young man stuttered. The moment was interrupted when Tiffany's phone began to ring. She retrieved the phone and saw Shinyoung's name over the screen. She answered the device and placed it to her ear.

 

"Hey Shinyoung," Tiffany greeted.

 

"Tiffany, got some good news," Shinyoung said from the other end.

 

"What's up?"

 

"We found the Key!"

 

"You found the Key?!"

 

"We don't have it right now with us, but we know where it is. We need to regroup. Where are you and Taeyeon right now?"

 

"Oh, we are…" Tiffany trailed off for a moment to look around her to distinguish the area and relay the information to Shingyoung.

 

"Alright, stay there. Sunny and I are coming for you," Shinyoung instructed before hanging up the phone. Tiffany placed the phone away and looked at Taeyeon who was watching her with anticipation.

 

"Did they find the Key?" Taeyeon asked, having listened to the words Tiffany spoke to Shinyoung.

 

"Yes!" Tiffany exclaimed, beaming brightly, "They found it!"

 

"So quickly?! How?!" Taeyeon questioned, suddenly filling up with excitement.

 

"I don't know! She said they don't have it with them right now but they did find it!"

 

Taeyeon broke out into a wide smile and joyously laughed. They had thought they would need days to search for the Key, maybe months and perhaps even needing to travel into different cities. It almost seemed to be an impossible task and yet, within a day alone they were miraculously able to find it. Unable to help themselves, the two giddy girls held hands as they broke into a hearty laugh, jumping on their toes before pulling each other in for a hug. Taeyeon tightly grasped Tiffany in her arms, slightly swaying her left and right. It was then she noticed the young man from earlier was watching them. Taeyeon took the chance and stuck her tongue out at the young man who recoiled his head back in surprise.

 

-

 

"Should we," Hyoyeon grunted, "really be doing this?" she said as she struggled with the heavy weight over her shoulders.

 

"Now how would you feel if the Key was right under our noses and we walked past it?" Jessica said as she looked down at Hyoyeon.

 

Sooyoung and Yuri simultaneously sighed as they watched the spectacle before them. Jessica had become a little too eager to get through the building from which they were earlier denied access. As such, Jessica had decided to find a different way in. They had walked into the nearby alley way and were now situated at the back end of the building. The back door was locked, however they did find a small window, but at an unfortunate height. Jessica was now standing over Hyoyeon shoulders, attempting to pry open the window.

 

"Why couldn't you use Sooyoung or Yuri?" Hyoyeon grunted as she struggled to keep her legs straights under Jessica's weight, "they're taller than me!"

 

"Hey, we could've just used magic from the beginning but nooo," Jessica chastised, "now hold still!" At that moment, Jessica's phone began to ring in her pant pocket. She brought out of her phone and answered it. "Hello?"

 

"Oh God Jessica, just open the window already!" Hyoyeon groaned, her shoulders beginning to swell with pain.

 

"Shinyoung, what's up?" Jessica spoke into her phone, oblivious to Hyoyeon's cries for the moment.

 

"I can't take it anymore!" Hyoyeon cried up to girl.

 

"You found the Key?!"

 

"I'm gone!" Hyoyeon exclaimed before her knees buckled and she tumbled to the ground, Jessica landing right over her body. Yuri and Sooyoung immediately rushed over to aide their fallen friends.  Jessica sat herself up with their help and looked up to them. "They found the Key!" she proclaimed.

 

"Praise the Lord, now get off me," Hyoyeon groaned from underneath Jessica.

 

-

 

"Alright then," Yoona spoke into the phone, "we'll be waiting right here for you," she said before hanging up her phone.

 

"This is unbelievable," Seohyun said, "I had not thought we'd find the Key so soon!"

 

"I know, it's amazing!" Yoona exclaimed.

 

"I suppose this means we may be leaving Earth soon," Seohyun said, a small frown appearing over her lips. She was admittedly eager to see more of Earth during their time here but it seems their return home would be much sooner than expected.

 

"We can still explore a bit. Shinyoung will be picking up the others first before us. Come on!" Yoona beckoned Seohyun as she walked off in the opposite direction, eager to take a further look around. Seohyun smiled and followed after Yoona, sparing a glance at the café beside her where through the corner of her eye she vaguely spotted a familiar face for perhaps just a millisecond. She immediately froze and looked back through the café window. Just as quick as she saw the face, it was immediately gone. Seohyun stepped closer to the large window and peered inside the café, she could not spot the face anymore.

 

'That's strange. I could've sworn I saw… no, it couldn't be her. Perhaps I'm seeing things.'

 

Seohyun decided to pay it no mind as it was quite likely her eyes had deceived her. She turned towards where Yoona had run off and ran after her.

 

-

 

Regrouping had proven to be a more difficult task than expected. Picking up Tiffany and Taeyeon proved to be easy as Tiffany's familiarity with Seoul allowed her to provide proper directions to Shinyoung. Picking up Jessica, Yuri, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon was a slight chore as Jessica's memory of Seoul was not the best but they eventually found them. Finding Seohyun and Yoona proved to be the most difficult as they had no knowledge of Seoul at all. It was already past nightfall by the time they had been found.

 

"So, this girl probably possesses the Key inside her?" Taeyeon pondered.

 

"Could be," Sunny responded, turning around in her seat to address Taeyeon, "she can't recall coming across it though."

 

"Well, it's possible she did without realizing. Just one touch causes the Key to immediately dissolve into you, right?" Taeyeon speculated.

 

"Plus, the Key has been here on Earth for hundreds of years," Shinyoung added. "She may have found it at any point in her life and not really remember."

 

"Sounds plausible," Sunny said, "I guess we just have to find her again and we'll see."

 

"You think maybe we should call it a night for now?" Shinyoung asked. Sunny looked over to Shinyoung who pointed to the back of the car where all the other girls were sprawled over each other fast asleep. Taeyeon sat in the middle seat, with Tiffany lying over her lap while Yuri rested over Tiffany. On Taeyeon's other side was Jessica slouched over her shoulder. On the back seat, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon and Yoona were slumped over each other in a similar manner; Seohyun being the only one resting in a delicate posture, her head slightly leant over the window. It was already late into the night and their trek had left them exhausted.

 

"Guess everyone's a little tired," Taeyeon chuckled in a hush tone, not wanting to disturb her snoozing friends.

 

"I think it'd be alright if we continue tomorrow morning," Shinyoung suggested.

 

"Are you sure?" Sunny asked.

 

"We would've needed some rest along the way anyhow," Taeyeon said.

 

Sunny sighed, having been somewhat anxious to retrieve the Key as soon as possible but Taeyeon was right, some rest would be necessary. "Alright then. Let's head on back to your place Shinyoung."

 

Shinyoung turned back around in her seat to start up the car and make their way to her home. Taeyeon, taking the chance to rest as well, closed her eyes and laid her head over Jessica's. Sunny looked outside her window, observing the night life of Seoul. Though they would have to continue in the morning, Sunny did feel a sense of accomplishment, having tracked the Key on their first day on Earth. The sooner they could retrieve the Key, the sooner they could return home and end their world's current despair.