Chapter 10

LACRIMOSA

 

Hyomin took cautious steps forwards, unaware of her surroundings as her eyes were still shut tight. She had walked into the portal, feeling a tingling sensation over her skin as she passed through it. She stopped in her pace but kept her head lowered and her eyes shut. She was not sure what she was expecting but after witnessing the previous menacing spectacle, she felt frightened.

 

"Hyomin, it's okay," Yuri chuckled from beside Hyomin, "you can open your eyes."

 

Assured by Yuri's seemingly composed voice, Hyomin peaked open an eye to look up at Yuri but immediately opened her other as well when she took note of their surroundings. Or lack thereof.

 

Hyomin's mouth dropped open as she turned in a circle, her eyes darting across the dimension they stood in where everything was an endless stretch of white. The only thing within this dimension was herself and Yuri.

 

Hyomin gasped when she felt a presence behind her and turned around to see Sunny walk through the portal. She stepped back as the others entered as well.

 

"Neat huh?" Tiffany asked Hyomin, noticing her shocked and pale face.

 

"Wh-what, what is this place?" Hyomin asked shakily, her eyes scanning over the empty abyss around her.

 

"This," Yoona outstretched her hands, "is a sort of transition from your world to ours."

 

"Wait I don't understand," Hyomin turned to face the others, "are we still in Shinyoung's house?"

 

"We're not," Sunny answered, "we're in fact not even on Earth anymore."

 

Hyomin was still unable to understand and though her fright did not subside, she found herself fascinated as well. It was unbelievable. It didn't look as if they were standing in a room; she could not spot any corners or any shadows either. It was all a complete void. Hyomin looked down to the floor, the clear whiteness made it seem like she was floating in the air. She stomped her foot and felt it connect with the ground; she was definitely standing on some form of floor.

 

"Come on, let's go," Yuri said.

 

"Go? Where?" Hyomin asked looking up to Yuri. Was there anywhere to go in this chasm?

 

"You'll see," Yuri said as she reached for Hyomin's hand. The group began to progress forward and though their legs were moving, to Hyomin it seemed as if they were in the exact same spot. There was no way to tell if they were even moving or going in any direction at all but she followed along with the others who were likely more familiar with this odd place.

 

After a short moment of walking, a thought then occurred to Hyomin and she looked back at the rest. "I never really got to know all your names. I only know Sunny," Hyomin said, glancing towards the shortest of the group.

 

"I'm Yuri," the one who held her hand said.

 

"My name is Tiffany," Tiffany brightly introduced herself, followed by the remaining six others.

 

"And you're all from this place called Kaia right?" Hyomin asked.

 

"That's right," Taeyeon answered.

 

"Tiffany and I were originally born on Earth though," Jessica said.

 

"Really?" Hyomin asked the two girls.

 

"Yep! So don't worry, we know exactly how you must be feeling right now," Tiffany assured. "When we were younger, we also came through here."

 

"Where exactly are we going though?" Hyomin asked.

 

"You see that up there?" Sooyoung said, pointing a finger ahead. Hyomin followed the direction of the tall girl's finger and saw two tiny objects in the distance. "That's another portal we need to go through."

 

With their destination now in sight, it finally looked as if they were headed somewhere as the two small objects became clearer as they closed in on them. Hyomin soon realized the two objects floating in mid-air were identical to the two gems Shinyoung had used to open the portal they had earlier walked through. Upon reaching the two gems, she noticed the ripple in the air between them.

 

"Are we going through that?" Hyomin asked.

 

"That's right. On the other side is our world, Kaia," Sooyoung answered.

 

"Kaia is through there?" Hyomin asked.

 

"That's right" Hyoyeon nodded her head.

 

"And Earth was back there?" Hyomin asked pointing back from where they had walked.

 

"Yep," Hyoyeon said, nodding her head again.

 

Hyomin formed a bemused expression on her face, dropping her arm back down to her side. According to what these girls were telling her, she was about to walk into a different planet in outer space after having walked not even a mile away from Earth. It all sounded incredibly ridiculous but Hyomin had seen enough to raise her curiosity. "Oh… okay then."

 

"Go on through," Tiffany urged her.

 

"Um, no, you guys first," Hyomin insisted, hesitation still brewing in her.

 

"Let's go then," Hyoyeon said to Yoona beside her and walked up to the portal.

 

"Everyone's going to be so happy to see us back so quick," Yoona gleamed, clapping her hands together.

 

Hyomin watched intently as Yoona and Hyoyeon disintegrated through the portal, still greatly fascinated witnessing the display for the second time today. Sooyoung and Yuri then followed behind the two.

 

"Come on, don't be scared!" Tiffany said as she took Hyomin's hand and ushered her towards the portal. Hyomin let Tiffany guide her to the magical gateway and once Tiffany had disappeared through it, she instinctively closed her eyes as she followed behind her through the portal. After taking a few steps, Hyomin stopped in place and peaked one eye open. She opened the other to be greeted with another amazing sight.

 

She now stood in massive room; glistening floor tiles, pearl white walls with golden framings and large pillars along the walls. Hyomin twirled around as she inspected the luxurious room, which was completely empty except for a small archway, which she presumed to be the portal she had just walked through. Hyomin lifted her eyes upward to the ceiling that was at an astonishing height and dropped open at the beautiful mosaic art.

 

"Wow," Hyomin whispered, marveling at the colorful ceiling. She looked back down at the large room, looking over its beauty once again. "How exactly did Shinyoung fit this place into her back yard?"

 

"We're no longer on Earth, Hyomin," Seohyun said, having come through the gateway with the remaining others. Though they were repeating what they have already explained before, Seohyun showed patience as she knew this would be overwhelming for the girl from Earth.

 

"This is Kaia then?" Hyomin asked.

 

"To be more specific," Jessica said walking up to Hyomin. She took her by the shoulders and twirled her around to an open doorway that led to the balcony, "that out there is Kaia."

 

Hyomin squinted her eyes at the sunlight that came through the open doors. She walked towards the doorway to get a better look of the view. Her pace instinctively slowed as she walked onto the balcony and her eyes widened at the foreign but another astounding sight. She took slow steps out on to the balcony, a slight shiver going down her spine when a light breeze hit her skin. Her breath hitched and fell open as she reached the ledge and beheld a whole city below her, stretching into the horizon. A city like no other that seemed to glow of a golden hue under the sunlight. The many buildings, big and small, of such different architecture from what she has seen but still beautiful. Hyomin was at loss for words at the marvelous sight.

 

'Where am I…' Hyomin thought as her eyes darted across the city.

 

"Welcome to Kaia," Sunny said walking up behind Hyomin with the others. Hyomin did not pay the others any attention as her eyes still wandered the intricate city. As she looked further into the distance, she then noticed a large object in the air. She loudly gasped.

 

"What the heck is that?!" Hyomin exclaimed pointing to the massive machine flying in the sky.

 

"That is an airship," Taeyeon answered.

 

"An airship?"

 

"Think of it like an airplane," Tiffany answered for her, finding comparison from Earth to help her comprehend their world, "only much bigger and sometimes even used in wars."

 

Hyomin watched the airship, almost like a ship but with wings, as it moved in the air. She then saw another amazing sight in the sky.

 

"Is… is that Earth?" Hyomin asked, pointing to the sky where in the distance a faded blue planet could be seen.

 

"Oh no, that's our neighboring planet Sera. Earth is much farther away from us," Seohyun answered.

 

Hyomin turned around to face the younger girl. "How far?"

 

"Light years," Seohyun said.

 

"How far is light years?" Hyomin asked again frantically.

 

"Well," Seohyun averted her eyes as she thought for a moment, "imagine this here is Kaia," Seohyun said as she held out her palm. "Earth would be…" she held out her other hand but then retracted it to ponder for a moment. She then pointed back into the room from which they came, "all the way till the end of the room."

 

Hyomin stepped forward to peak back inside the room, which she again noted to be remarkably massive as it was. She looked back to Seohyun's hand then considered the distance between it and the very far end of the room. Relating it's distance to Earth and Kaia in her head, it seemed unbelievable.

 

"So basically… far?" Hyomin asked.

 

"Very, very far," Seohyun answered, "my example is to only provide an idea as it does not even come close to representing a proper accuracy."

 

"Oh. Okay." Hyomin nodded her head, showing she understood. After having witnessed unbelievable sights, one after another, Hyomin suddenly began to feel light headed. Her eyes then rolled back and her knees gave away.

 

"Hyomin!"

 

Taeyeon quickly grabbed her from behind before she would've fallen to the floor. The others crowded around the fainted girl to see if she was alright.

 

"Hyomin?" Tiffany lightly patted the girl's cheek but she did not respond.

 

Sooyoung looked up to Seohyun. "You killed her."

 

-

 

"Any happenings overnight?"

 

"No sir," Major Donghae reported to his King seated before him. "Furthers troops have been deployed but no new reports of any latest occurrences."

 

The King sighed and nodded his head, "good." It was indeed good, that there weren't any more deaths for the time being, but for how long? For how long would they have to wait before more blood is shed and they are yet again left helpless to defend themselves? "Has the elder monk of Nagudis arrived yet?"

 

"No your Majesty but we are expecting him by this afternoon."

 

"Let me know if anything else happens. You may leave," the King instructed the Major.

 

"Yes your Magesty," Donghae said. He bowed his head down before turning to leave the King's study.

 

The King anxiously rubbed his hands together, "I suppose we can only wait now."

 

"Wait for the next drop of blood to be shed," the King's advisor, Kan, spoke from his side.

 

"For the girls to return from Earth," the King responded.

 

"Which may take longer than for the Tyrant to burn down even more villages or cities," Kan spoke. "Our efforts would be better placed upon preparing an offense against the Tyrant."

 

The King sighed and folded his hands together. "Perhaps I may have burdened the girls with an impossible task."

 

-

 

"Why do I have to carry her again?!" Jessica grunted as she struggled to carefully walk down the stairs with the fainted Hyomin hoisted over her back.

 

"I have bad knees," Sunny said.

 

"I'm not strong enough," Yoona said.

 

"I'm already carrying her bag," Hyoyeon said gesturing to the bag hung over her shoulder.

 

"Seohyun might kill her again," Sooyoung said pointing at the youngest.

 

"I didn't mean to!" Seohyun cried. Having been unable to awaken Hyomin after she fainted, the girls proceeded down the stair case into the Palace anyhow, with Jessica carrying Hyomin over her back. Yuri assisted her as Jessica took cautious steps down the stairs, making sure she wouldn't collapse under Hyomin's weight.

 

"You think she'll be alright?" Tiffany asked looking back to Jessica and Hyomin.

 

"She'll be okay, just got overwhelmed," Tayeon said. "Once we get downstairs, we'll place her in a bed and let her rest for a while."

 

"Actually, looks like she's waking up," Yuri said when she saw Hyomin face stir over Jessica's shoulder.

 

"Oh thank God," Jessica exclaimed as she kneeled down and dropped Hyomin behind her, the force of her landing fully awakening her.

 

"Jessica!" Sunny reprimanded the girl.

 

"Hey, she may look like a stick, but she definitely doesn't weigh like one," Jessica retorted as she stood herself up.

 

"Wh-what happened?" Hyomin blinked her eyes several times as she frantically looked around her.

 

"You fainted," Yuri said kneeling down beside Hyomin.

 

"I fainted?" Hyomin asked, taking heavy breaths. "Where am I?"

 

"Still on Kaia," Sooyoung said offering her a sympathetic smile.

 

"You okay?" Sunny asked, kneeling down as well. Hyomin breathed deeply, taking a moment to recollect herself and recall what had transpired so far.

 

"Um, yeah, I'm fine I… it just seemed like a dream for a moment there," Hyomin said as she looked at the girls who surrounded her.

 

"I know this is overwhelming for you, but just hang in there and you'll eventually get used it," Sunny assured her, comfortingly placing a hand over Hyomin's knee.

 

"Okay," Hyomin nodded her head, her breathing gradually slowing down.

 

"Here, come on," Yuri grabbed Hyomin's hand and lifted her back to her feet. "You can rest for a while once we get downstairs."

 

Hyomin simply nodded her, feeling a bit unsettled after having fainted but allowed Yuri to guide her as they continued down the steps. "Where are we going now?" she softly asked.

 

"We're heading downstairs to meet with the others. You'll be meeting with our King soon," Taeyeon said.

 

"You have a King?"

 

"That's right!"

 

"The King is actually Sunny's uncle," Tiffany told her.

 

"Really?" Hyomin looked at Sunny, "so are you sort of a princess?"

 

Sunny chuckled and shook her head, "no, not exactly. I consider myself a mage like the others before anything else."

 

"Yeah, Sunny's a peasant just like us," Jessica said, causing the girls to laugh.

 

As they continued down the steps, they passed by a window causing Hyomin to stop and take a look outside again. She saw the same remarkable city as before but noted how very far below it seemed.

 

"We're really far up, aren't we? What floor are we on?" she asked. Seohyun was about to answer but Hyoyeon silenced her with a finger to her lips.

 

"Don't say anything. She might faint again."

 

-

 

"Onew had to leave again?" Jonghyun asked Key beside him as he, Taemin and Minho walked down the corridor together.

 

"Yeah," Key answered sullenly, worried for his friend who was obligated to his duties.

 

"I wish we could do something. I want to go out there and help too," Taemin said.

 

"Leeteuk said we might have to after all," Minho said. "In the meantime, we need to look out for the rookies."

 

"I bet you Kai and the others will end up being dispatched as well," Jonghyun said.

 

"They only just finished their training, but we need all the help we can get," Key said.

 

"I wonder if Taeyeon and the others are okay on Earth," Taemin mulled.

 

"I'm just as much worried for them as I am for us!" Jonghyun exclaimed.

 

"They should've taken BoA with them at least," Minho said. "They could easily get lost on Earth."

 

"We're home!" a voice shouted. The four boys spun around to see their nine mages at the other end of the hall.

 

"You’re right,” Key said, confusedly gazing back at the nine mages, “they got lost and ended back home.”

 

"What are you girls doing back?!" Jonghyun shouted back as he and the other jogged up to the nine girls.

 

"Hey! You guys miss us?" Tiffany gleefully greeted them.

 

"Why did you come back so soon? Did something happen?" Key asked worriedly.

 

"Oh no! We're back because we found the Key!" Tiffany squealed.

 

"You-you found it?" Minho stuttered, exchanging stunned glances with the others.

 

"We did!" Tiffany said as she and the other girls stepped back for the boys to see for themselves. They were greeted by a pretty dark haired girl who had hung open as she stared around the beautiful interior of the corridor.

 

"This is such a nice place," Hyomin uttered.

 

"Uh,” Jonghyun leaned towards Tiffany, "who's that?"

 

"This is Hyomin. She's from Earth," Tiffany answered with a smile.

 

"You brought someone from Earth with you?!" Key asked.

 

"Earthlings are prohibited on Kaia!" Taemin exclaimed.

 

"She has the Key!"

 

Taemin stuttered and looked back at Hyomin, "she does?"

 

"You couldn't have just taken the Key from her instead of bringing her along?" Key asked.

 

"Oh no," Taeyeon stepped forward, "she has the Key inside her."

 

"Inside her?" The four boys looked up to the foreign girl, who only innocently stared back and shyly waved her hand.

 

"Are you sure?" Key asked, dumbfounded.

 

"How did you find her so quickly anyways?" Jonghyun asked.

 

"Huge coincidence really," Jessica said, "and we also had some help from Soyeon!"

 

"Soyeon?" Taemin smiled up at the mention of the familiar name, "you met Soyeon?"

 

"Where is my uncle?" Sunny asked stepping forward, "let everyone know we're back, we'll all talk then."

 

"Oh, right. Come on then," Jonghyun said as he turned, ushering everyone with him.

 

-

 

"Could the Tyrant have some other goal in mind?" The King pondered as he walked down the corridor with his advisor Kan, whose personal guard trailed behind the two.

 

"What could such a scorned demon want? Exiled by his own countrymen, the very he defended in battle numerous times. He lusts for revenge," Kan spoke.

 

"And to rule our world," the King said.

 

"The Tyrant bears powers like no other. He would see fit to rule than be ruled."

 

"Why attack small villages? Why does he not take over our country immediately, as he surely is able to do so?"

 

"Having been refined within the Realm of Reaper, perhaps he requires to recover his full strength. Or perhaps," Kan looked at the King, "he seeks to torment us."

 

The King released a heavy sigh. "How will we be able to fight such power?"

 

"Though not of the same power, we are not unfit to fight back."

 

"He has killed many of my people and soldiers within seconds," the King said halting in his steps to face his advisor.

 

"We were caught off guard. We have the chance now to study and scheme an offense."

 

"Are we truly capable of an offense against the Tyrant, Kan?"

 

"Are you not a King of valor?" his advisor questioned him.

 

"I am a King who wishes to see no more of his people die. Why I place my hope in my niece to return soon with the Key," the King said as he resumed walking.

 

"Your hope is falsely placed, your Majesty," Kan said, continuing alongside the King. "It could take months for them to find the Key."

 

"I have faith in the girls."

 

"Faith may not save us from-"

 

"YOUR MAJESTY!"

 

The King and his advisor swiftly turned to the voice that cried for him and spotted Major Donghae running to catch up to them.

 

"Donghae? What is the matter?" The King asked, alarmed at Donghae's sudden appearance.

 

"Your Majesty," Donghae panted, taking a quick bow before the King, "Taeyeon and the others have returned!"

 

"What?!" the King exclaimed, stepping up to the Major. "Why? What has happened?"

 

"Your Majesty, they found the Key!" Donghae said, breaking out into a big smile.

 

"What?" The King breathed. "They have found… are you sure?"

 

"Yes your Majesty! They're waiting for us in the conference room!"

 

The King did not waste a single second and treaded in the direction of the conference room, Donghae immediately following behind. The King then stopped and turned to look back at his advisor, who stood in his place.

 

"Perhaps a little faith may just save us," The King said with a smile before turning away again.

 

Kan merely scoffed as he watched the two walk away, continuously counting the prayer beads in his hand.

 

-

 

Hyomin nervously looked back at all the people whom surrounded her, intently watching her. She was brought into a large room which was empty at first but gradually began to fill with new faces. All of whom very happily greeted the nine mages, so jubilantly as if they had been away for months. Hyomin did not completely understand but it seemed her arrival was a great relief to these people.

 

As Sunny and the others told the new arrivals of their time on Earth, Hyomin silently studied them. There were men in heavy armor and a few in long suits; there were a few girls as well, dressed in a similar fashion like the nine mages who brought her here.  Another man, whom they greeted as Ryeowook, was brought forth and now stood before her.

 

"This is Hyomin," Taeyeon introduced her to the man.

 

"And she has the Key? You're absolutely sure?" Ryeowook asked.

 

"Take a look," Taeyeon retrieved the pouch that carried her compass. She handed it over to Ryeowook who immediately loosened the knot and produced the compass from inside. It already carried a bright glow and as he took a step towards Hyomin, it displayed the same spectacle the girls had seen before.

 

"Yes," Ryeowook grinned, watching the manifestation of the compass, "this is it. The Key is here!" he said looking up to Hyomin.

 

All eyes turned to the doors of conference room as they were pushed open to reveal the King's arrival.

 

"Uncle!" Sunny smiled as she made her way to him, followed by the other girls behind her.

 

"Sunny," the King greeted his niece, enveloping her shoulders in his hand, "I am so happy to see you girls return home safe and sound," he said to nine girls, who all bowed their heads down to their King. "You have truly found the Key?" he asked.

 

"Yes," Sunny said and looked back to Hyomin, who stood very cautiously. The King made his way to very anxious looking girl and offered a soft smile. Hyomin remained silent, feeling apprehensive before this man who wore a crown over his head.

 

"Bow," she heard Hyoyeon voice whisper. Hyomin chided herself for forgetting her own etiquettes and immediately bowed her head down to elderly man. They waited for Hyomin to lift her head back up but she merely slightly tilted it up, as if wanting to know what she was to do next.

 

Jessica sighed and reached over to pull Hyomin's head back up by her collar.

 

"This is Hyomin," Sunny introduced the girl to her uncle, "the compass had led us to her."

 

"Hello Hyomin," the King softly spoke, hoping for the anxious seeming girl to be at more comfort. "Welcome to our world."

 

"Hello," Hyomin shyly responded in a very soft voice.

 

"You possess the Key we are in need of?"

 

"Inside her, by the way," Tiffany added.

 

"Inside her?" the King asked Tiffany.

 

"It seems Hyomin had made contact with the Key and absorbed it into her body," Seohyun answered.

 

"I don't really remember anything like that," Hyomin interjected, "but they seem sure that I have a Key inside me."

 

"The compass reacts accordingly when placed near her," Ryeowook said as he stepped up beside Hyomin to show the King the compass's reaction. "But to be completely sure, perhaps the elder monk of Nagudis could aid us. He's meant to be arriving in the afternoon isn't he?" Ryeowook turned to ask Donghae.

 

"After an hour or so, he should be in the Imperial City," Donghae answered.

 

"The compasses were produced with precision," Ryeowook said addressing the King again, "however the monk may be able provide us with a more solid conclusion."

 

"We shall await his arrival then. Hyomin," the King addressed the Earth girl, "have you been informed as to why we need you?"

 

"They said there is some evil person you want to lock away, and I have the Key in me to do that?" Hyomin stated questioningly.

 

"Yes. The Tyrant has laid siege upon our country and others as well."

 

"He's attacked other nations?" Taeyeon asked the King.

 

"My homeland," Victoria spoke up, "Zhang, had been recently attacked," she spoke desolately.

 

"He attacked Zhang?! Any other?" Yuri asked.

 

"No," General Yunho responded, "but would only be a matter of time before he does."

 

"As such Hyomin," the King resumed, "your arrival is most vital to stop this calamity upon us. We thank you for your cooperation. You have our most sincere gratitude," the King said and lightly bowed his head to Hyomin.

 

"Oh it's um," Hyomin stumbled, surprised by the King's action, "it's no problem."

 

"Until the arrival of the monk, see to settling in Hyomin in the Palace," he instructed the nine mages. "We are responsible for her care now," he said to the other occupants in the room. "See to it she is made comfortable in our world."

 

-

 

"You can stay in here for the time being," Sunny said as she opened the door to the guest room and stepped inside. Hyomin followed in after, the other mages behind her, and fell open for the umpteenth time that day.

 

"Wow," she said as she eyed the room. It was a lavish room, perhaps three times the size of her own, with a very large bed, a dresser and sitting area as well. "This whole room is mine?"

 

"Yeah, is there a problem?" Sunny asked.

 

"Oh, no!" Hyomin shook her head, "not at all," she said as she stepped further into the room. She walked up to the bed and placed her bag down. "So, what now?"

 

"We’re waiting for the monk from the Temple of Nagudis," Tiffany said. "He's going to help us determine if you really possess the Key inside you."

 

"And then?"

 

"If you do," Tiffany paused as she thought over her next response, "well I'm not sure but we'll come to that eventually."

 

"And if I don't have the Key, I can just go home?"

 

"I guess so."

 

"And I take it I'm not allowed to tell anyone about this place?"

 

"No, you can't," Taeyeon somberly answered. "Our world is completely isolated from Earth, and we wish to keep it that way."

 

"And if you do tell, we'll have to kill you," Hyoyeon nonchalantly spoke.

 

"What?!" Hyomin exclaimed. Sooyoung lightly smacked Hyoyeon's shoulder.

 

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding!" Hyoyeon chuckled. Hyomin breathed in relief, still cautious of this new world. She looked to the side of the room where there was a window and was instinctively drawn to it. She looked through to the rest of the Palace below and slightly beyond the wall.

 

"I'm really someplace else?" Hyomin hesitantly asked the others.

 

"You are," Tiffany nodded her head, walking up to Hyomin's side. "I know it seems pretty unreal and it's very different from Earth but," Tiffany offered Hyomin a bright smile, "I think you'll like our place."

 

-

 

After some time, the monk had arrived and was immediately brought to the King who waited for him in a private room. Taeyeon and the others were alerted and they escorted Hyomin to where the King, the monk and Ryeowook awaited for them.

 

"Ah, here she is," the King said as his mages and Hyomin entered to the room. The girls offered the King and the monk a bow, Hyomin making sure to follow their actions this time. "Hyomin, please come forward," the King requested her. Very timidly, Hyomin walked up to the King and he guided her to the monk.

 

"This is Hyomin," the King introduced her to the monk. "She is the one we believe to carry the Key inside of her."

 

The monk, his face barely visible from beneath his hood, quietly studied Hyomin, taking a quick inspection from head to toe. Hyomin felt uncomfortable under his scrutiny but remained silent. He then held his palms out to her.

 

"Give me your hands, child," he softly spoke. Hyomin placed her hands over his wrinkled ones and he turned them over to study her palms. He traced his thumb over them, as if searching for something on the lines of her hands. "Come," he said as lead her to a lone seat further in the room. "Sit down," he instructed.

 

Hyomin took a cautious glance back at the other girls but did as she was told. She sat down and the monk placed his hands over her head. "Do not be frightened," he said. He then closed his eyes and began to quietly mumble an incoherent chant.

 

"What's he doing?" Hyomin asked. The other girls carefully walked around the two, observing the monk's action.

 

"Not sure, but don’t worry," Yuri said. "You can trust him."

 

"Is he doing some weird magic thing like you guys can?" Hyomin asked, unable to turn her head, thus peeping at the others through the corner of her eyes. Before the others could answer, Hyomin took a sharp intake of breath, clutching the side of her chair. She had felt a sudden sharp sting inside her head which left a hot remnant feeling within her skull. The monk's mumbling became more audible and Hyomin winced as he pressed his fingers into her head. The girls watched as Hyomin's expression changed to that of discomfort and upset as the burning inside her head reignited, this time more constant.

 

"Hyomin, are you okay?" Yoona asked. Hyomin did not respond, beginning to wheeze as her face became flushed.

 

"What is he doing?" Hyomin whimpered, "It hurts."

 

"He's trying to incite the Key inside you. It may hurt because it's the first time your body is experiencing a magical incantation," Ryeowook explained.

 

The mages could not do anything for Hyomin as they knew they could not disrupt the monk. Hyomin clenched her eyes shut as the burning sensation increased and began to spread into her body, slightly heating her skin. The monk's chanting became louder, though none of them could understand his words. A glow then began to form from underneath Hyomin's hand.

 

"What's that?" Sooyoung asked pointing to Hyomin's hand.

 

Feeling the heat resonating from her hand, Hyomin lifted it and loudly gasped when she saw the glowing lines and shapes forming on her palm.

 

"What's happening?" Hyomin asked, alarmed. The monk then seized his spell, loosening his grip on Hyomin's head and reached down to lift up Hyomin's palm. The others in the room stepped forward to observe the strange materialization in her hand. The lines began to form into words and symbols, spreading over her palm and progressively began to make their way down her wrist. Hyomin abruptly stood from her seat, pulling her hands away from the monk, panicked by the anomaly spreading onto her arm.

 

"Hyomin it's okay!" Yuri said as she and the others hurried to her side.

 

"What is it?! Make it stop!" she cried as she pulled back her sleeve to see the symbols continue to form up till her elbow.

 

"Stay calm child," the monk calmly told her and he took hold of hands again, observing the encryptions over them. He looked over his shoulder, gesturing for the King's attention.

 

The King stepped up beside the monk and looked down at Hyomin's hand and arm, riddled in ancient writing.

 

"Ancient inscriptions from the old age, spoken by the eldest pioneer of magic," the monk explained.

 

"What do they read?" the King asked.

 

The monk traced his fingers over the encryptions, decoding their meaning. "They speak of a carrier, an evil and a link," the monk explained as he let go of Hyomin's hand. "The Key indeed lies within this child."

 

Hyomin held up her hands to observe them just as the encryptions began to fade away into her skin. Once they had disintegrated, she rubbed her hand over her arm, finding no more traces of the writings.

 

"So, we have really found they Key?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"Take it out of me then!" Hyomin cried, still startled by the recent phenomenon.

 

"That will not be possible," the monk said.

 

"It cannot be done?" Sunny asked.

 

"When the Key is absorbed into an entity, it becomes one with it. It is not a matter of this child carrying the Key within her, but that she now is the Key."

 

Hyomin gulped, feeling dread from the monk's explanation. "Great…"