Chapter 2

LACRIMOSA

 

1 Week Later

 

Yesung treaded cautiously through the dark corridors dimly lit by the torch in his hand. He was guided by a monk, clad in a long white robe, who walked ahead of him, seemingly needing no guidance from his torch light as if he knew the brick walls by heart. They were several levels beneath the ground. Yesung had climbed down so many stair cases; he was no longer sure how deep below the temple they had gone.

 

Yesung had been sent to the Temple of Nagudis to retrieve something that would serve as aid to the recent crisis. It had taken 2 days to reach the temple by steed whereas it could've taken a much shorter amount of time had they travelled by air. They deemed it too risky after what had happened to the air fleet that was on its way from Roz’aan Village. However, that did not keep them out of harm's way. Accompanied by several soldiers, when they had reached the plains, they had been attacked by an unknown source. Powerful beams of magic had suddenly been shot at them, injuring a few of the men and sending their horses into a fright. Yesung had saved himself with his own magic abilities, deflecting the fiery blasts but they still took their toll on him. With some effort, they were able to calm the horses and quickly make their escape. The monks were currently seeing to healing the soldiers that had been injured. Yesung could not help but feel they were attacked by the very same being that currently has the Empire in turmoil.

 

Yesung met with the elder monk and told him of his intent of visit. The monk ushered Yesung to follow him through the temple, taking him down several flights of staircases. Yesung had no idea the temple descended to such depths and he imagine not many did considering they had to pass through a couple of trap doors.

 

Yesung picked up his pace, walking up beside the monk. He looked at the older man; his white cloak draped over his head, shadowing his eyes, allowing others to only see past his nose to his long white beard.

 

"Excuse me elder, I don't wish to seem impatient but… are we there yet?"

 

"We are," the monk responded in hush tone.

 

Surprised by his answer, Yesung looked up and saw they were approaching a large double door. Upon reaching the door, Yesung inspected its vintage design coated in cobwebs. He imagined the door to have once been of a bright tone but had dulled over age.

 

The monk brought out a key and placed it in the keyhole, sounding a loud click as he turned it. He grabbed the doors handles and pushed them inwards, the door creaking loudly as he spread the double doors open. The room inside was completely dark and though Yesung could not see a single thing, he still followed the monk inside. After taking a few steps into the dark room, the monk gestured for Yesung to hand him the torch. Yesung obliged and watched him walk further into the room. From within the aura of light of the torch, Yesung saw the monk approach a pillar and raised the torch to ignite the lantern hanging from the pillar. He then proceeded to other pillars and a dim light gradually spread throughout the room.

 

Yesung observed his surroundings; there were stacks of boxes lying about, a few shelves lined against the wall and a number of small and large objects over which cloths were draped. Yesung would best describe this room as a sort of vault. He imagined the contents of this room, having been buried to such depths underground, were most likely of secret.

 

Once sufficient light shone through the room, the monk hung the torch on a hook over a pillar and walked over to one of the shelves. He picked up a large book and dusted off its cover, which bore no title or writing.

 

"The original accounts were scattered, why a meager handful outside the descendants of the Elders knew of the true story," the monk spoke as he walked back to Yesung with the book in his hand. "This is all of what was preserved," the monk said and he handed the book into Yesung's hand.

 

Placing the book down on a nearby table, opened it and started flipping through the rusty pages. There were endless paragraphs of writing and a few diagrams as well.  He noticed several pages seemed to have been ripped out but he paid them no mind for the moment. Yesung stopped when he came across some loose pages. They were drawings of maps. He looked through the loose pages until one in specific caught his interest. It was a world map with a marking over a certain region. The map did not strike as familiar at first; it was definitely not of their world Kaia.

 

"You will find the key here," the monk spoke.

 

Yesung looked up at the monk with confused eyes, "they say the key was thrown into space. How is it a map was made to find it?"

 

"Of the first three Elders of Magic, cautious of the key falling into wrong hands, followed its trail," the monk explained as he turned away from Yesung and walked over to some objects that were covered by a cloth. He kneeled down and lifted the cloth from the bottom, pulling out a small chest. He stood and returned to Yesung with the chest in his hands. "These will lead you to the key."

 

Yesung closed the book and accepted the small box into his hands. He reached to open the chest but stopped and looked back up to the monk.

 

"Do you believe, that after all these years, it truly is Wu Jin the Tyrant?" Yesung asked. The monk was silent for a moment before lifting his head, allowing Yesung to have a clear view of his sharp eyes.

 

"I pray it isn't."

 

-

 

"We'll be travelling to Zhang next, might be there for a few weeks."

 

"Do travel safely Yonghwa. You know of the recent dangers."

 

Yonghwa chuckled lightly. "Worried about me Seohyun?"

 

Seohyun chuckled lightly. She stood in the Palace garden, bidding farewell to her friend Yongwha before he would set off for his travels once again. He had business elsewhere and had spent too much time in Essinia. Though he would not admit it, the reason for his prolonged stay was the fair mage that stood before him.

 

When Seohyun looked back up, from behind the man in front of her, she spotted two girls puckering their lips in an animated fashion at her. Seohyun's eyes widened at the two girls behavior but she immediately averted her eyes back to Yonghwa.

 

"I'll write to you then," Yongwha said.

 

"Please do," Seohyun smiled softly. From the corner of her eye, she peeked at the two girls in the background and was shocked to discover them with their arms around each other, acting as if they were kissing.

 

Noticing her expression, Yonghwa was about to turn around to see what had caught her attention but looked back when Seohyun grabbed his arm.

 

"Uh…" Seohyun stuttered, not expecting herself to reach out for him. She just couldn't allow him to see the unusual scene behind him. "Take care Yonghwa," Seohyun said, giving Yonghwa a pat on his arm before retracting her hand to her side. Yonghwa smiled at the bashful girl.

 

"You too, Seohyun," Yonghwa said. The two bowed their heads to each other before Yonghwa turned around to take his leave. He immediately noticed two girls standing a short distance from him and smiled at them. "Hyoyeon, Yoona, I'll be seeing you girls."

 

The two girls pursed their lips in an attempt to refrain their laughter. "Bye Yonghwa," Hyoyeon responded as she and Yoona waved to him. They stood unmoving, watching as he made his way out of the Palace garden before turning to the younger girl.

 

"What were you two doing?!" Seohyun whined as she marched up to the two older girls who had burst into a fit of laughter.

 

"Aw, did we embarrass you?" Yoona said as she pinched one of Seohyun's cheeks.

 

"You must be so concerned for your Yongie," Hyoyeon said, pinching Seohyun's other cheek.

 

"No I am not!" Seohyun whined.

 

"Oh you're not?"

 

"Well, of course I am but-"

 

"Awww…" Yoona and Hyoyeon looked at each other, pouting their lips.

 

Seohyun opened to speak but found no words to retaliate with. She groaned as she pulled off the two older girls hands from her cheek and marched away. Hyoyeon and Yoona laughed together before catching up to the timid girl and throwing their arms around her.

 

-

 

"So I'm heading out with some of the guys to grab a bite to eat. Come with us."

 

Hyomin shook her head, "I can't, Wooyoung. I have a lot to catch up on," she said, gesturing to the various books in her arms. Hyomin, along with her friend Wooyoung, walked through the crowded corridors of their college after finishing off with the last of their classes for the day.

 

Wooyoung lightly chuckled. "Oh Hyomin," he said as he placed an arm around the girls shoulder, "no one works as hard as you, which is why I think you need to see a psychiatrist about that."

 

Hyomin nudged Wooyoung. "I recommend you see one anyways," Hyomin jested at her male companion.

 

Wooyoung chuckled and ruffled the hair on top of Hyomin, "take it easy okay," he said as he turned to leave. "Call me later!"

 

"I will," Hyomin said towards her friends retreating back. Hyomin would have wanted to join her friends and usually she would have, but with finals just around the corner, she chose to suffer now instead of later.

 

Hyomin made her way out of the main doors of the college and began to make her way home. She did not live in the dormitories but instead with her two of her best friends, Eunjung and Soyeon. Hyomin and Eunjung were friends from high school and when Eunjung went off for college, she moved in with Soyeon, someone she had previously befriended. Their apartment had an extra room so Eunjung offered her to move in with them instead of living in the dorms. Soyeon was more than willing.

 

Having moved from Busan, Soyeon was always eager to make new friends with her new living in Seoul. Before Eunjung moved in with her, she had lived alone, her only friends being the two girls from across the hall, Boram and Qri. After arriving in Seoul, she had great trouble settling in at first, having no friends or family in the grand metropolis. Through good fortune she met Boram, who guided her and helped her acquire her current apartment. Soyeon would later cross paths with Eunjung and eventually become her good friend through frequent contact.

 

Hyomin was quick to become close with Soyeon after she moved in with them. Though she did not know much of her time in Busan, she knew Soyeon went through many struggles but still sought to look after them. She was much like a mother, though only be a couple of years older than Hyomin. These friends of hers, including the youngling Jiyeon, became much like her family and she loved them dearly.

 

Hyomin herself was what she would dub your everyday average girl. She was college student with an array of friends amongst whom she was adored; had a profound love for photography, art, music and enjoyed various other activities. Though often weak hearted, she was very bright and bubbly young lady.

 

Hyomin took a train on the way home and arrived at her street in a short five minutes. She walked the remaining blocks before reaching her apartment building. She took the elevator up before finally finding herself before her door. Entering, she lazily dropped her shoulder bag onto the ground, her books by a small table and hobbled into the living room.

 

"Hey Hyomin," Soyeon, who sat on the couch with a magazine in her hand, greeted the girl. Before she could greet her in return, Eunjung suddenly rushed into the room catching Hyomin by surprise.

 

"No, no, hang on. She just got here," Eunjung spoke into the phone in her hand. She quickly made her way over to Hyomin and held her hand over the receiver. "It's that photography agency," Eunjung whispered to Hyomin.

 

Hyomin gasped and quickly took the phone from Eunjung. Hyomin had been looking to find herself a job and had her eyes on a particular agency for quite some time. She had finally worked up the nerve to approach the agency and apply for a job. After two weeks of waiting, it seems she was to finally receive her judgment.

 

Hyomin took a deep breath and placed the phone to her ear. "Hello… yes… uh huh…"

 

Eunjung and Soyeon watched Hyomin with anticipation, carefully observing her facial expression.

 

"Uh huh… oh, thank you…" a small smile graced Hyomin's face. Soyeon and Eunjung shared an anxious glance, hoping for good news to be received. "Uh huh… mhm..." the smile on Hyomin's face gradually grew bigger and there was a sparkle in her eyes. Suddenly, her smile dropped into a frown and the sparkle in her eyes replaced by sadness. "Uh huh… no, I understand… mhm… thank you anyhow." With a sullen expression, Hyomin removed the phone from her ear and ended the call.

 

"Well?" Eunjung asked, worried over Hyomin's sunken expression.

 

"They said my work was unique, that I had great potential," Hyomin said. She then released a deep sigh. "Unfortunately…"

 

Both Soyeon and Eunjung groaned simultaneously. When the word 'unfortunately' is brought up, it was clear only bad news would follow.

 

"Sorry Hyomin," Soyeon consoled the younger girl. Hyomin sighed once again as she walked over to the couch and lied down, resting her head over Soyeon's lap.  "There'll be other chances," Soyeon assured her as she caressed her head.

 

"I know. Just… disappointed," Hyomin said. She lifted her eyes up and noticed something odd in the living room. "Soyeon…"

 

"Yeah, hun?"

 

"Where's our TV?"

 

"Oh that's right!" Soyeon immediately stood up, almost tossing Hyomin onto the floor. "This will cheer you up," she said as scurried across the room and that was when Hyomin noticed a large rectangular box. Soyeon pushed the box further into the living room, into Hyomin's view. The box had a large image of a TV on the front. "I bought us a new flat screen," Soyeon smirked, extending her hands over the box.

 

"Come on, let's put it together," Eunjung said stepping up beside Soyeon.

 

Hyomin shook her head. "You guys go ahead," she said as she stood up from the couch and began to make her way to her room.

 

"Oh don't be sad Hyomin-ah," Eunjung called out to her.

 

"I'm not. Don't worry," Hyomin assured them as she disappeared into her room. Truthfully, she was very saddened she did not receive the job. It was a long shot to begin with she had been very hopeful. Perhaps that was the mistake, getting her hopes up.

 

Hyomin sat down at her desk, slumping into her chair. Her eyes wondered over to the camera on her desk, one of the many she owned. She picked it up, toying with it her hands. For a long time, Hyomin has enjoyed capturing various moments of life and as much as she enjoyed being behind the camera, she enjoyed posing for the camera as well. She believed she was very skilled with a camera, but it would seem she was still lacking.

 

Hyomin sullenly placed the camera back down. For now, her search for employment would have to be placed on hold as she wraps up her final days of college.

 

-

 

Siwon released a deep breath. Everything was happening so fast. In the previous week, two more villages had been attacked. Thankfully, they did not meet the same fate as Taewon and Roz’aan Village. The attacks were much more nominal as there were no casualties. However, this brought them no ease. A few days ago, there have been many sightings of malicious beasts. Ones believed to have been extinct and even some of mythical origins. They were initially spotted by travelers and hunters in forests in regions beyond the cities and villages. Unfortunately, there have already been accounts of casualties. What was strange was that these beasts appeared around the same time of the recent attacks.

 

"For what reason do you think these villages were attacked?"

 

Siwon looked up to the woman who spoke; BoA, a powerful sorceress. They stood, amongst other nobilities, around a grand table, overseeing maps and scrolls.

 

"We can't be certain," General Yunho, who stood beside BoA, answered. "The last two descendents of the Elders of Magic resided in the villages of Taewon and Kohra. However the other villages," Yunho trailed his finger over the map before them on the table, "not only are they not within proximity of Taewon or Kohra, or each other for that matter, they were not completely devastated."

 

"Could it be he was looking for something but didn't find it?" Colonel Leetuek pondered.

 

"Perhaps the villages were not of any relevance," the Lieutenant General Chagmin, from across the table, suggested.

 

"So he attacked them for no reason?" Colonel Leetuek questioned.

 

"Or for the reason of letting his presence be known," Heechul answered.

 

"That is a possibility," BoA said.

 

"Wouldn't that mean the attacks will continue?" Major Donghae asked.

 

"It does," Yunho answered as he looked back over the map, "and we have no idea where his next target could be."

 

King Lee Soo Man, who was seated at the very end of the table, released a deep sigh and rested his temple over his finger tips. Troops had been dispatched to aid the recently attacked villages and more were being placed on alert around other regions. Further attacks seemed imminent but their defenses would prove hopeless if they did not know from where the enemy would strike next. The King was growing anxious with the passage of each day and the loss of each life.

 

The doors to the room opened, diverting everyone's attention, and saw the entry of Yesung along with Henry of the Ministry of Magic.

 

"Have you recreated the maps?" Siwon immediately asked as the two men stepped into the room.

 

"There was no need as we in fact already had the same map in handy," Henry said as he lifted the scroll in his hands.

 

The maps Yesung had obtained from the Nagudis temple were very old and outdated. As soon Yesung returned to the Empire, they saw to recreating the maps and discovering its origins. Henry however was able to recognize the map immediately and would simply need to produce one from their own records.

 

Siwon took the map from Henry's hand and unrolled it. BoA stepped up beside Siwon to take a look at the map for herself. She was surprised to find she was most familiar with the atlas.

 

"This is Earth," BoA stated.

 

"Earth?" Changmin echoed.

 

"The Key is on Earth?" Siwon asked, turning to Henry.

 

"So it seems," Henry answered.

 

"Earth is…" Heechul trailed off for a moment to find the proper words, "…far, far, away. Are you absolutely sure?"

 

"Positive. When I first saw the map, I knew it was Earth. It was a very old map so much of the geography and the names of the various regions were outdated," Henry explained. He stepped forward to point out something on the map. "I've marked all the regions as according to the original map," he said as he pointed out the circles and points made on the map.

 

Siwon walked over to the end of the table and to the King's side. He handed the map over to the King for him to see for himself.

 

"If it is indeed Earth, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I can go myself to retrieve the Key," BoA said. Having travelled to Earth before, she would have a much easier time on the foreign terrain.

 

"It'll be better if we send a group. Finding the key will take some time, we can cover more ground with the more people we have," Yunho suggested.

 

"Stephanie and Lina currently reside on Earth. As do Eric and his men," the sorceress Dana spoke up, "perhaps they can as well aid us."

 

"Let us assemble a team then," Yunho said. "I will accompany BoA. Yesung and…"

 

"That won't be necessary, Yunho."

 

All occupants in the room turned their eyes to the King, thrown by his words. He placed down the map in his hands and looked up to Siwon.

 

"Where are the girls?"