Chapter 3

LACRIMOSA

"Then the minister walks in and sees Taeng with her hands all over Yuri!" a tall brunette, Sooyoung, shared with the group of eight girls around her who burst into a fit of laughter.

 

"So what happened then?" Hyoyeon asked turning to the shorter brunette, Taeyeon.

 

"Well," Taeyeon started, "I still took part in the ceremony. He just made me stand in back," she said and the girls fell into a hearty laughter once again.

 

"Of all the times you chose to be a ert, Taeyeon!" Tiffany exclaimed as she swatted Taeyeon's arm.

 

"I was thinking of you the whole time!" Taeyeon jested.

 

"What!" Tiffany exclaimed as she swatted her hands at Taeyeon again, the other girls taking amusement at their antics.

 

The laughter of these nine girls rang like music throughout the Palace gardens. They sat by the grand fountain, sharing their stories and simply taking enjoyment in each other's company. Amongst them were Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun. These nine girls, mages of notable caliber, were regarded as treasures of Essinia. Their charm and vibrant beauty would bring joy to anyone's heart.

 

Each of them were with their unique characteristics. From Taeyeon, the eldest, who was playful by nature but possessed fine leadership qualities to Yoona, of eloquent beauty but mischievous traits. All nine however shared the commonality of kindness and love, along with an immaculate friendship with each other. Having studied magic together during their younger years at the imperial academy, these nine girls formed a bond and eventually found they were inseparable. They regarded each other more than friends, but sisters.

 

While presently mages who served underneath the King, they were all once common girls. All except one.

 

Sunny, a short brunette with deep chocolate eyes, was in fact of the Royal family. She was the niece the King Lee Soo Man. As the King was without any children, Sunny was very close to her uncle and was often treated as a princess. Though she would reject such treatment and chose to live more modestly, as much as one of royalty could.

 

Instead of living the luxurious life of her heritage, Sunny opted to become a mage and was now amongst the most skillful.

 

"So are we still going to the marketplace?" Yoona, who was seated by the fountain ledge with her legs perched up, asked.

 

"Oh no!" Taeyeon exclaimed, "I'm never going shopping with any of you guys again after you ditched me last time!"

 

"We didn't ditch you, you got lost in the crowd, you shorty," Hyoyeon said causing all the girls, sans Taeyeon, to laugh.

 

"We'll just give you a buddy to stick by and you'll be fine," Yuri giggled.

 

"It can't be Sunny though," Jessica said from behind Sunny, who was seated on one of the benches, "then they'll both get lost," Jessica jested.

 

"Hey!" Sunny exclaimed, turning back to the blonde girl, "who was the one who ended up in a bar that one time and got drunk?"

 

Jessica sharply glared at Sunny while the other girls laughed, recalling that one humorous occasion.

 

"I'll never forget that day," Sooyoung grinned.

 

"Yoona, make that face Jessica had when we found her," Sunny said to Yoona who beamed mischievously in response. As requested, Yoona distorted her jaw in a comical fashion, causing the girls around her to explode into laughter once again. Jessica gave Yoona a deathly stare but her expression suddenly eased and she fell into a sardonic laughter.

 

"Oh Yoona, you're so funny," Jessica said. She then seized her laughter and casually swung her hand up. Yoona yelped when a wave of water suddenly shot out from the fountain and drenched her.

 

"Jessica!" Yoona wailed as Jessica snickered and scurried away from her knowing she would retaliate. "Get back here!" Yoona stood up, facing her palm to the fountain and flung her arm towards Jessica. Her motion was followed by a stream of water that flowed into the air and in the runaway girl's direction.

 

Jessica turned around and quickly ducked before the enchanted water would collide with her.

 

"HEY!"

 

The girls gasped when the wave did not hit Jessica but a different target they only now noticed.

 

"Oops," Yoona said, biting onto her finger.

 

The new arrival, Captain Sungmin, wiped his face with his hand. He was at the advantage of having his armor donned; otherwise his clothing would've been soaked.

 

"Sorry Sungmin," Yoona apologized to the young Captain. Jessica turned to mockingly stick her tongue at Yoona, who returned the same action.

 

"Don't worry about it," he chucked, "I should've known better than to approach you girls without a shield."

 

"We're not that lethal Sungmin," Sooyoung giggled.

 

"Most of the time you girls are," Sungmin chuckled.

 

"Oh Sungmin," Tiffany called, her expression falling into a somber one, "we heard another village was attacked. Is it true?" Her question caused the joyous mood amongst the girls fall into a solemn atmosphere.

 

"No," Sungmin shook his head, his attitude becoming more sober, "it was merely a sighting of another beast."

 

"I thought they were keeping to the forests. Are they approaching the villages?" Seohyun asked.

 

"It doesn't seem so but we're preparing ourselves for anything."

 

Sunny sighed, "I don't see why my uncle isn't allowing us to help," she said, a frown adorning her face. "We want to lend our hands but he insists on keeping us out the matter."

 

Just as everyone else, the girls were shattered by the desolation that had befallen their country. They had wished to help but the King urged the situation to be too peril for the girls to be involved. It only left them in further grief that they could not be of any aid to those who were suffering.

 

"Actually that's why I came to find you girls. The King wishes to see you all," Sungmin informed them.

 

"Really?" Taeyeon asked, sharing a glance with the others. "Has something happened?"

 

"No but you girls are about to be handed a very important task."

 

-

 

"Is it truly wise to be sending the girls?"

 

"Do you doubt them?" the King asked he paced down the long corridors of the palace.

 

"This is an imperative matter; it would be better handled by those of wider experience."

 

"They may not have experience in such matters, Kan, but they are most certainly ready to take on anything," the King said looking to the man beside him. Kan was an elderly man with a small white beard, drabbed in a white robe, his head covered underneath his hood. An eerie air surrounded this man, who was the King's most senior advisor. Behind the elderly man diligently followed his personal guard, a large, burly man in a heavy armor.

 

"I share your Majesty's conviction," Park Min Young, Essinia's Prime Minister, spoke from the King's other side, "I believe they are ready."

 

The King smiled at his Minister before turning to his advisor, "I would trust you to have more faith in the girls."

 

"They are merely children," Kan responded.

 

"Very capable children," the King confidently spoke. At the moment, the King stopped in his pace, as did the two men beside him, when the nine girls in question appeared from around the corner at the end of the corridor.

 

"It is as your Majesty wishes," Kan said to the King, bowing his head down. He continued walking forth, his guard following closely behind.

 

The girls stopped in the tracks to bow their heads to the senior man as he passed by them. He acknowledged their greeting by lightly bowing his own head before continuing on. Jessica watched as the King's advisor walked away and turn the corner of the corridor before turning to the others.

 

"That man will forever creep me out," she whispered. Beside her, Sooyoung giggled and lightly nudged Jessica in the side. The girls approached the King and bowed in greeting.

 

"Are you well today, girls?" the King asked, smiling as he stepped towards them.

 

"Yes your Majesty," Taeyeon brightly responded on the behalf of her group.

 

"You wanted to see us?" Sunny asked her esteemed uncle.

 

"Yes, I have something I need you girls to do for me."

 

"We'll help in any way," Tiffany responded eagerly. "Do you need us to provide aid to any of the villages? Or maybe the soldiers?"

 

"No Tiffany," the King said, "I need you girls to travel to Earth."

 

The King's statement was met with silence, as the girls looked back at their King with dazed eyes.

 

"Earth?" Yoona asked.

 

"Yes," the King answered.

 

"…why?" Jessica asked, cocking her eyebrow.

 

The King lightly chuckled at the girls' bewilderment. "Come, they are waiting for us in the conference room," the King said as he stepped forward, the girls moving aside to let him and the Prime Minister pass.

 

"Uncle, what does going to Earth have to do with anything?" Sunny questioned, catching up to her uncle's side.

 

"You will learn shortly, Soonkyu," the King responded to his young niece.

 

-

 

"Are we sure the girls will be able to handle this? Only two of them are familiar with Earth," Donghae asked his companions around him.

 

"They're feisty girls, Donghae," Heechul answered, while looking over his well-manicured nails, "they can handle themselves."

 

"Earth is rather very safe," the sorceress Boa spoke, "they won't be in any immediate danger."

 

"All they really need to do is find the key, for which the tools will be provided to them," Sungmin said. He looked over to his side to notice Heechul closely inspecting him. "What?"

 

"Did you take a shower in the few minutes you went out?" Heechul asked pointing to Sungmin's wet hair. Before Sungmin could respond, the doors to the room opened, allowing the entrance of the King followed by the Prime Minister and the girls. Those in the room bowed their heads in greeting as the girls did the same.

 

"Have the compasses been prepared?" the King asked as he walked by Yunho.

 

"They should be shortly your Majesty," Yunho replied. The King approvingly nodded his head and walked around the grand table in the middle of the room to the chair at the far end.

 

"So, why is it we need to be sent to Earth?" Taeyeon asked as she and her eight companions gathered by the table.

 

"This is to do with the attacks in Essinia, right?" Sunny asked.

 

"Yes but first and foremost, you will need to be informed about the matter at hand," the King said as he sat down. "Are any of you familiar with the myth of The Tyrant?"

 

The girls showed a puzzled expression but Seohyun was quick to answer, "The story of the war General Wu Jin from Old Essinia. They dubbed him the Tyrant when he went mad with power."

 

"Very good Seohyun," the King smiled at the girl. Seohyun, though the youngest of them all, was very knowledgeable of old folklores.

 

"Kiss up…" Yuri whispered. Yoona lightly giggled while Seohyun looked back at Yuri with innocent eyes.

 

"Wu Jin was a war general from over thousands of years ago and he indeed went mad with power. He was originally a man of much valor. Any battle he walked into with his men, he would return victorious. He was a man the people greatly admired," the King told.

 

"Why did they call him the Tyrant then?" Sooyoung asked.

 

"Wu Jin was triumphant in every battle, over every man. His supremacy eventually got the best of him. He became corrupt," the King responded.

 

"Wu Jin had as well studied dark magic," BoA spoke up, "he in fact mastered the arts and had obtained astounding powers from his learning's. He grew greedy and went on to attain further power through various endeavors. He became more than just soldier but a powerful sorcerer."

 

"A powerful but vile sorcerer. A demon," the King continued, his tone darkening, "His lust for power only grew and he became ruthless on the battlefield, showing no mercy to even his own men whom would falter. The nation's hero had become the nation's most feared man."

 

"That is when the decided to banish him, yes?" Seohyun asked, recalling the account she had read for herself.

 

"When the people rebelled against him, he became their enemy. He would no longer follow the royal edict; he sought to even overthrow the Emperor. They attempted to arrest him, assassinate him, but not a single man could lay a finger on him," the King told. "The matter was left in the hands of the Elders of Magic as it was only with magic they had a remote chance of subduing him."

 

"What happened to him then?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"They say he had obtained some form of immortality. They could not so easily kill him, so the Emperor ordered for him to be banished for eternity. Once they were able to finally confine him, the Elders of Magic casted him away into the Realm of the Reaper," the King said.

 

"I know about The Realm," Taeyeon spoke. "During Old Essinia, it was a dimension fiends and beast were thrown into."

 

"A practical hell hole from what I read," Jessica commented.

 

"After some time they had discovered Wu Jin had found a way to strengthen his power from within the Realm," Yunho said. "The Realm of the Reaper housed numerous dark entities, Wu Jin had begun to feed off the dark energy around him."

 

"We continued to grow in power even from his own confinements. As such the Elders saw to permanently locking the gateway into the Realm, preventing any chance of Wu Jin escaping," the King said.

 

"That's how the use of the Realm had ceased," Yuri realized. "It's because they had permanently locked it. I always wondered about that."

 

"Ok, so he was banished for good and everyone lived happily ever after?" Jessica asked.

 

"Well except for the fact that he has now somehow escaped and is wreaking havoc and bloodshed in our nation," Heechul casually spoke. Taken aback, the girls turned their attention to the young man.

 

"Come again?" Yoona asked.

 

"Wu Jin has likely escaped his imprisonment and is seeking his revenge upon Essinia," Heechul said. "Afterwards he's likely intending to siege the other nations and eventually dominate our world."

 

The girls were left disorientated by Heechul's startling statement. "But…" Hyoyeon started, "he's just a myth, isn't he?"

 

"The tale of the Tyrant is no myth, Hyoyeon," the King said. "It is believed to be so, but it is certainly not."

 

"A meager few know of the Tyrant as truth and not fable," the Prime Minister said. "Those few included the remaining decedents of the Elders, who are now no longer with us."

 

"They were most likely killed as an act of revenge by the Tyrant," Yunho said.

 

"Wait, so you believe Wu Jin to be behind the attacks in Essinia?" Sunny asked looking back to her uncle.

 

"The symbols we found at every site that was attacked is that of the Tyrant's," Sungmin answered.

 

"I learned of the tale of the Tyrant from the monks when I was much younger," the King said. "It had always been feared that one day Wu Jin would escape from the Realm and seek his revenge on the world. It would appear that day has finally come."

 

"So, we're actually dealing with a powerful warlord from thousands of years ago?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"One who will stop at nothing to extract his supremacy," Siwon said.

 

"Well ain't that swell…" Jessica said sarcastically, crossing her arms.

 

"He has already wiped out two villages and murdered many innocents; if the Tyrant is indeed so powerful, what can we do to stop him?" Seohyun eagerly asked, her eyes showing resolute distress.

 

"You will need to travel to Earth," the King answered as he stood up from his seat.

 

"Why do we need to go to Earth?" Yuri asked.

 

"There were three keys to the gate of Realm of the Reaper. When it was agreed the Realm was to be eternally locked, the keys were destroyed. All except one," the King said as he walked around the table.

 

"Why is that?" Sunny asked.

 

"It was never truly known why. The remaining key had been casted away into space. One of the Elders, cautious of its whereabouts, tracked its trails and found where it had eventually landed."

 

"It landed on Earth?" Tiffany asked.

 

"That is right."

 

Siwon then unrolled a large map over the table in front of the girls, who all stepped closer to the table for a better view. It was a detailed atlas of the planet Earth. The King laid his finger over a spot on the map.

 

"Right here," the King said. The girls leaned forward to take a closer look at the region the King pointed out.

 

"Korea?" Tiffany and Jessica simultaneously asked looking up to the King.

 

"I believe you two are familiar with the province," the King said. Jessica and Tiffany were originally born on Earth, having lived there till they reached their teenage years before their families came to Kaia.

 

"Well that's convenient," Jessica said.

 

"Question," Hyoyeon said lifting up a finger, "how was he able to so easily track the key all the way to Earth?"

 

"Oh it wasn't easy," Siwon said, "took over 20 years."

 

 "Oh…" Hyoyeon said, retracting her finger.

 

"The keys had as well served as a bind to the souls of the Realm's prisoners. Were the gates ever to be opened allowing them leave, sealing the gate would instantaneously pull them back into the Realm," the King explained. "The only possible way for Wu Jin to have escaped is for the gates to have somehow reopened. We must retrieve the lost key immediately to send him back."

 

"If the gate could only be opened by the keys, wouldn't it mean someone had already found the third key?" Sunny asked.

 

"It is rather improbable. The only remaining ones who knew of the keys were the descendants of the Elders. They would never reveal the knowledge to any person. The Temple of Nagudis possessed the only existing records, which we now possess."

 

"How on Earth did Wu Jin escape then?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"Some other internal or external force perhaps. Truthfully, we're at loss at how he managed to escape but we are investigating the matter urgently."

 

At that moment, the doors to the conference room opened and Yesung, Ryewook and Kyuhyun walked in. Kyuhyun carried a small chest in his hands, the very same Yesung obtained from the Temple of Nagudis.

 

"Are they ready?" the King asked.

 

"Yes your Majesty," Kyuhyun said as he bowed his head and handed the chest over to the King.

 

The King placed the small chest on the table and opened its top, revealing five small pouches within. The King picked out one of the pouches and loosened its tie. He opened the pouch and pulled out what appeared to be a compass.

 

"The Elder who tracked the key made use of a special compass that Yesung was able to obtain from the Temple of Nagudis. There was only one but Ryewook was able to create replicas," the King explained as he extended the compass to Sunny.

 

Sunny accepted the small device into her hands and looked over its antique features. The compass rose featured ancient numerals and in the middle of the dial was a small green, gem stone.

 

"These compasses will aide you in tracking the key," the King said. "Prepare to leave the following morning."

 

"Wait," Sunny said lifting her head up, "you're really sending us to Earth?"

 

"This is happening a little too fast," Tiffany said.

 

"It is vital we move with as much haste as we can. The longer we wait, the more innocent lives will be lost," the King spoke firmly.

 

Sunny looked back down at the compass in her hand. In a short amount of time, a vast tragedy had befallen their country and the people were terror stricken. However, what had just been revealed to them; a rare known legend of a war lord, suddenly the source of their plight, it seemed unbelievable. If it were true, then they indeed had no time to waste. Truthfully, they had never been bestowed such a crucial task before. Nevertheless, they had no room for doubts as any further lives lost would be at their hands.

 

The King watched the girls exchange hesitant glances with each other and offered them a reassuring smile. "I know I must have overwhelmed you all, but know this that even I am frightened. Do not fret though; I would not be giving you girls this charge if I did not believe you were all able."

 

Feeling motivated by the King's word, Taeyeon straightened her back and a glint of determination shown in her eyes. "We will do our best."

 

-

 

Eunjung walked out of her room to find her roommate Soyeon seated on the floor and looking over a thin booklet. Soyeon groaned and threw the booklet aside before turning her attention to the objects laid out before her. Eunjung walked up to the older girl to see her struggling to assemble the parts for the new TV she bought.

 

"Do you need help?" Eunjung asked.

 

"No, no, I've got this," Soyeon said as pulled at the TV's pedestal from its base, "just attached the pedestal the wrong way," Soyeon grunted as she twisted and pulled at the two parts which would form the stand for the TV.

 

"Sure?"

 

"Positive!" Soyeon said through gritted teeth, twisting the joint of the two parts.

 

Eunjung giggled, walking past her friend and into the kitchen where she found Hyomin and Boram, their neighbor from across the hall, at the table. Hyomin was nonstop placing small bits of meat into Boram's mouth, which already seemed to be overstuffed.

 

"What are you doing?!" Eunjung exclaimed as she marched up beside the two. Boram attempted to speak but could only muster muffled sounds due to her swollen cheeks. Hyomin looked up to Eunjung with a sullen expression.

 

"I'm dealing with my depression by trying to make Boram explode," Hyomin said before picking up another piece of meat with her chopstick and bringing it up to Boram's mouth. "Say 'Ahh'."

 

"Oh come on now," Eunjung said as she pulled back Hyomin's hand. Hyomin's mood had not picked up since she had found out she was rejected the job she was yearning so eagerly for. "I know what will make you feel better. I'll take you shopping! What do you say?"

 

"Mm…" Hyomin crossed her arms over the table and shrugged her shoulder, "I don't know."

 

"Come on," Eunjung urged, wrapping her hands around the brooding girl's arm. Hyomin did enjoy shopping and she knew she did not want to continue feeling so gloomy. Perhaps spending some time out with Eunjung could put her distressed mind to ease.

 

Hyomin sighed and stood up from her seat, "alright then."

 

Eunjung gleamed and lightly bounced on her feet. "Boram, do you want come with us?" she asked the shorter girl.

 

"No thanks," Boram said swallowing the last bits of meat in , "you go ahead."

 

"Come on then!" Eunjung said as she dragged Hyomin away. After a few moments, the two girls had left the apartment, leaving only Boram and Soyeon. Boram stretched her neck to peer out of the kitchen and see Soyeon still struggling with her task.

 

"Do you want me to come help you?" Boram asked.

 

"No, no, it's fine! Really" Soyeon assured her as she continued her struggle.

 

Boram shrugged her shoulders and stood up to make her way to the fridge. "Do you have any of that chicken left?" she asked as she opened the fridge and poked her head inside.

 

Soyeon sighed as she dropped the mismatched parts on the floor. 'This is hopeless,' she thought to herself as she rubbed her sore hands together. In order to insure the TV would be assembled perfectly, she had joined the two parts as firmly as possible. As such, undoing this unforeseen mistake was proving to be most difficult. She was cautious of causing any damage thus avoiding using too much force or any tools. Soyeon realized she was left with one choice.

 

Soyeon looked over to the kitchen to find Boram rummaging through the fridge. Soyeon silently inspected her for a few moments before she turned around in her sitting position so that her back was facing the kitchen. She took a one more peak over her shoulder to see Boram was still occupied.  Soyeon then turned her attention back to the strongly fitted stand for the TV and held it in her hand. She hovered a hand above the base and lightly breathed as an exchange of a mute energy took place between her palm and the object. Soyeon moved her hand back and the base effortlessly pulled apart from the pedestal, floating in mid-air. Soyeon quickly retreated her hand and the base fell to the floor.

 

Soyeon lifted her head and immediately looked back to see if she had attracted Boram's attention. She sighed in relief when she saw the shorter girl was still preoccupied in the kitchen. She regained her composure and smiled, turning back around in her seat.

 

"Got it!" Soyeon said as she triumphantly picked up the two separated parts. "Told you I could do it."