Chapter 12

LACRIMOSA

A\N: Goodness. Please excuse me for the close to a month delay. In hopes to make up for it, got an extra long chapter this time. Almost 9000 words! If I could kindly have your thoughts on this chapter as I'm very excited for it to finally be out (first real update for my original SSF readers) but feel it is lacking in some way. Thank you everyone!

 

 

“Wow,” Hyomin whispered as she was escorted by the nine mages through the bustling, vibrant marketplace. Numerous stalls lined both sides of the street, all of various goods, foods, trinkets and just about anything that could cross one’s mind. They decorated the town of many colors. The people walked about their business and young children ran across the streets in laughter. They were all draped in different kinds of garments, allowing Hyomin to not stick out too conspicuously in her jeans and shirt.

 

“How’d you like our town?” Tiffany smiled walking up beside Hyomin.

 

“It’s beautiful,” Hyomin distantly spoke as her eyes trailed among the many shops and structures. The town was of antique features but still of remarkable architecture giving it a modern look as well. “So, do you shop with money too?”

 

“Oh of course. We have our own currency just like on Earth,” Tiffany answered.

 

“Here,” Yoona walked up to Hyomin and brought out a small pouch from under her sash, “take a look,” she said as she offered her the pouch.

 

Hyomin untied the knot of the pouch and opened it to find it filled with polished gold coins. “Whoa,” Hyomin said as she reached into the pouch to pull out one coin. “You have gold coins? Is this what you use?”

 

“That’s right,” Tiffany smirked.

 

“Are you all rich?” Hyomin asked. “Since you serve the King, right?”

 

Taeyeon chuckled, “we earn well for ourselves.”

 

“How much?” Hyomin innocently asked.

 

Jessica chuckled and walked up to Hyomin, placing an arm around her shoulder, “you see this coin, Hyomin?” she asked her as she fished out a single, but darker from Yoona’s gold, coin and brought it up to their view. “With this coin alone, I can practically buy this whole marketplace.”

 

“Are you serious?” Hyomin asked with wide amazed eyes.

 

“Yep, and it’s practically spare change for me.”

 

“Wow,” Hyomin gazed at the coin with vast fascination.

 

“That’s a copper.” Sunny interjected, her arms crossed, glaring at Jessica disapprovingly but with slight amusement at fooling the Earth girl.

 

“A copper?” Hyomin asked.

 

“She can buy a grape with that,” Hyoyeon added, snatching the copper coin from Jessica’s hand.

 

“Hey! Come back with my grape money!” Jessica exclaimed as she chased behind Hyoyeon. Hyomin pouted in Jessica’s direction before turning to address Sunny.

 

“You’re rich though right?” she asked the short girl.

 

“Me?” Sunny pointed to herself.

 

“I mean you’re a princess after all.”

 

“I am not-“

 

“Oh yeah!” Taeyeon interjected, “we get Sunny to buy us lunch, drinks and whatever we want all the time.”

 

“She looks after us peasants,” Sooyoung said, ruffling the top of Sunny’s head.

 

“So are you going to be queen one day?” Hyomin asked.

 

Sunny laughed and swatted away Sooyoung’s hand. “Hyomin, I’m a part of the royal family but I am not a princess and I will not be queen one day.”

 

“Oh,” Hyomin spoke, “thought it’d be fun if I could say the future queen is my bodyguard.”

 

All the mages laughed together while Sunny stuck her tongue into her cheek, expressing her dismay at being teased. “Shut up!” she exclaimed, albeit repressing her own laughter. “Come on! Let’s keep going!” she said she shoved Hyomin to move.

 

Hyomin giggled but ceased when she noticed a figure, standing further behind them amongst the crowd, draped in a long black cloak. She could not properly distinguish his face but his eyes shone through the darkness under his cloak.

 

“Come on Hyomin!”

 

At Yuri’s call, Hyomin directed her attention back at the mages and jogged up to catch up with them. She spared a glance behind her to observe the clocked figure once more but found he was gone.

 

-

 

“Is she the one?”

 

“Yep,” a young man answered, crossing his arms and leaning back against the wall of the alleyway in which he and the clocked man stood, “that’s her.”

 

The mysterious man intently watched from around the corner of the alley as the Earth girl walked through the marketplace with the King’s mages.

 

“Thank you for your assistance Kris,” the man spoke.

 

“No problem,” Kris answered as the other man continued to observe the girls. “So what exactly do you plan to do with her?”

 

“You need not be concerned,” the man spoke. When he offered no further answer, Kris shrugged his shoulders.

 

“Alright,” Kris said nonchalantly.

 

“You should return to the Palace, before they begin to wonder of your whereabouts.”

 

“I’m not worried about that,” Kris said as he stared off into the marketplace, his mind wandering. “I’ll be leaving soon. Heading back to Zhang.”

 

“You are taking leave from your duties?” the cloaked man looked over his shoulder to Kris.

 

“I’m completely leaving. This just isn’t for me.”

 

“I see,” before returning his gaze back to the marketplace.

 

“Haven’t exactly told the guys. Then again, I’m wondering if I should even say anything.”

 

“You would find leaving without saying a word easy?”

 

“Was it for you?”

 

The cloaked man did not respond to Kris. When his silence persisted, Kris sighed, pushing off from the wall and walked towards the entrance of the alleyway.

 

“I guess I should get going now,” he said as she walked up to the elder man’s side. “Good luck with whatever you plan to do,” he said before he walked out into the marketplace.

 

“Kris,” the cloaked man called out. Kris turned his attention back to him. “Say goodbye to your friends. You may not get the chance to ever again.”

 

Kris lowered his gaze, considering his words. He nodded his head and turned to walk away.

 

The clocked figure returned his vision to the Earth girl who had now furthered away. He memorized her face well, smiling, unbeknownst of the suffering that would soon dawn upon her.

 

He stepped back into the alleyway and disappeared into the shadows. From above him, perched on the edge of a building, a raven took flight into the air.

 

-

 

After returning from their tour of the city, night had fallen and Hyomin was escorted back to her room while the mages assembled with the other dignitaries in order to discuss tomorrow’s extensive expedition.

 

“We will be sending out two regiments,” First Lieutenant Eunhyuk instructed as he moved small pieces over the map that lay upon the table. “One will take the route through the east of the Imperial City, the other through the west. Hyomin will be with the east regiment, led by Yunho,” Eunhyuk explained, pointing to the piece representing the respective squadrons.

 

“What is the second regiment for?” Seohyun asked.

 

“A distraction,” Siwon responded. “To hopefully lead the Tyrant astray.”

 

“Would it work?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“They will be disguised with heavy artillery to give the impression they are protecting something. We hope for it to work,” Siwon said. His attention was then directed to the doorway which was slightly pushed open as Hyomin peaked her head inside. “Oh, Hyomin’s here.”

 

At the mention of her name, Sunny turned to address Hyomin who made her way inside once she spotted the mages.

 

“Hyomin, is something wrong?” Sunny asked.

 

“Hey Princess!” Hyomin cheerily greeted the girl. When she showed a less than amused expression, Hyomin cleared , “um, Sunny!” she corrected herself. “Nothing’s wrong, I just got bored. Is it okay for me to be here?”

 

“Oh, sure, it’s no problem,” Sunny said.

 

“You didn’t get lost again on your way here?” Yoona smiled.

 

“Of course I did,” Hyomin said, “there are two guard looking for me somewhere,” she giggled as she walked around the grand table, observing the various maps and papers but not interfering in anyone’s work. She stopped in front of a stack of papers, intrigued by an interesting drawing of a fiendish character. “What’s this?” she asked pointing to the sketch.

 

“That is the mark of Tyrant,” BoA, who stood closest to Hyomin, answered.

 

Hyomin looked up to BoA, intrigued, “this is the thing? The thing that’s killing everyone? I mean is that what he looks like?”

 

“Well it’s debatable,” Ryeowook spoke up. “As Wu Jin, he looked like any other man but once corrupted by power, they say he took on deformities in his physique. In some versions, the insignia represents the demons from which he learned of his dark arts.”

 

“So, he’s not an ordinary man?” Hyomin asked.

 

“No,” Kyuhyun answered, shaking his head, “he is not any sort of ordinary.”

 

“How exactly do you plan to fight him?”

 

“Do not be worried,” BoA assured her, “we are not of any ordinary skills either.”

 

“Well, that’s good to know,” Hyomin said, putting her worries to ease for the time being. There was much she did not understand in this world and was left to simply place her trust in her guardians. “So, where are we going?” Hyomin asked taking note of the large map around which everyone was focused.

 

“This is the Imperial City of Essinia,” Siwon said as he pointed to the nation on the map. “We will be travelling all the way to the coast of Thak, here,” he explained as he trailed his finger across the map to the designated point. “From there we will take a ship into the Golden Sea.”

 

“Where the tower I have to go to is, right?” Hyomin asked, recalling their previous meeting.

 

“That’s right, the Tower of Edea” Siwon nodded his head. Hyomin took a step forward to closer inspect the map when she noted there was no indication of the tower they spoke of.

 

“It’s not on the map?” Hyomin asked.

 

“Being of legendary origins, it is not given in regular maps like this one,” Ryeowook explained.

 

“Are you sure it’s even there?”

 

“Don’t worry,” Ryeowook chuckled, “we know it’s there,” he assured her. Hyomin nodded her head, though not completely convinced, she was once again left to lay her trust in her caretakers. Surely they knew more than her who was a meager stranger to this world.

 

“So, since we’re walking,” Jessica spoke up, “how long is it gonna take to reach the coast of Thak?”

 

“About 2, perhaps within 3 weeks,” Yunho responded.

 

Jessica blinked, staring back at Yunho incredulously. “2 or 3 weeks?”

 

“Were you expecting a day or two road trip?” Yunho smirked.

 

Jessica was silent for a moment. “Yes actually.”

 

All occupants of the room turned their attention to the doors as they were pushed opened allowing entry of the King followed by his Prime Minister. Each person bowed their heads to the King, Hyomin making sure to do so as well.

 

“I remembered this time,” Hyomin giggled, whispering to Jessica who only rolled her eyes.

 

“Are we prepared for tomorrow?” the King asked him men.

 

“Yes, your Majesty,” Yunho answered.

 

“What is your course?” the King asked.

 

“Our plan is simple,” Yunho began as he pointed to the map, “we will move out from the east end and keep to isolated paths, keeping away from other cities and villages. Instead of going around the mountains ranges, we will go through them, in order to remain out of sight. Our second team, serving as our distraction, will take the more obvious path, in hopes to lure the Tyrant away from our team.”

 

“What if we’re not so lucky,” Sooyoung spoke, “and he doesn’t fall for the distraction and comes for us?”

 

“Regardless of anything, our priority will remain to keep Hyomin safe and to keep moving forward,” Yunho said.

 

“And once you reach the Tower?” the King asked.

 

“From there is where Hyomin takes over,” Ryeowook answered.

 

“What will I need to do?” Hyomin asked.

 

“We will know once there. It is your presence most of all,” Ryeowook said.

 

“Are our troops prepared to fight the Tyrant and escaped fiends from the Realm?” the King looked up to Yunho.

 

“At all costs,” Yunho answered resolutely. “Heavy infantry soldiers, elementalists, rangers and white mages.”

 

“And us,” Tiffany whispered to Yoona beside her with a smile.

 

“Perhaps not with ease,” Seohyun spoke up, “but I have confidence we can ultimately reach our destination.”

 

“As do I, Seohyun,” the King nodded. “I trust in you all,” he addressed the rest of his dignitaries, “to accomplish this operation, and end the suffering of the people of Kaia.”

 

“We will not fail, your Majesty,” Yunho said with a bow.

 

“You absolutely must not,” the King asserted, taking on a more somber tone. “This is our only option. There is no other. Kaia’s faith has been placed into your hands. We are at the point for even if on the path to victory, many our own will lose their lives on this quest but we cannot let this thwart us.”

 

Hyomin tensed at the King’s mention of possible death. She exchanged glances between all the occupants of the room, noticing the sudden intensity in the air. Though she had yet to completely grasp the weight of the situation, the thought of death amongst those who were to be protecting her alarmed her. Though she could tell how steadfast these men and women were from the resolution in their eyes. Including those of her guardian mages.

 

“I implore you all to return home safely,” the King said.

 

“Yes, your Majesty,” Yunho said bowing his head.

 

“See to it you are well prepared then. You girls should retire for the night. You’ll need a good night’s sleep for tomorrow, all of you will,” the King advised the nine mages.

 

“Yes, your Majesty,” Taeyeon bowed her head as she and the other mages began to take their leave.

 

“Come on, Hyomin,” Yuri ushered the Earth girl with her, who silently obeyed. Once they had exited the room, Hyomin turned to address the mages.

 

“What did he mean by lives might be lost?” Hyomin asked, causing the others to halt.

 

“Huh?” Sunny asked.

 

“Is this going to be so dangerous that some of us might die?” Hyomin worrisomely question.

 

Sunny exchanged a hesitant look with Taeyeon who stepped in to respond. “The King only spoke of such as… precaution.”

 

“It is a dangerous journey, if we weren’t prepared only,” Hyoyeon added.

 

“You told me the Tyrant kill hundreds of people already? He could easily kill any of us then?” Hyomin asked.

 

“Those he killed were unsuspecting, common people,” Sunny answered. “They were not capable of fighting against dark magic.”

 

“We are however,” Sooyoung said.

 

“Very much,” Hyoyeon smiled.

 

Hyomin looked over the faces of her guardians, all of whom offered her a reassuring smile. Once again she was plagued by doubt but in this bizarre new world, there was hardly a thing she could do for herself.

 

Hyomin heaved a deep breath, calming her nerves. “Ok,” she merely said before walking on forward. The mages continued to Hyomin to her room; Seohyun trailed behind the group with Sunny.

 

“While I do believe in our abilities, I do not think we should mitigate situation,” Seohyun whispered to Sunny.

 

“I don’t wish to scare her, Seohyun,” Sunny whispered in return. “If she were to decide to return to her home, could we really force her to stay? She’s our only hope. I will do what I must to keep her with us.”

 

-

 

Much before dawn had even approached, the kingdom’s forces were busy in preparations for their voyage. Every servant of the kingdom left their usual duties to aid in the arrangements.

 

Yunho overlooked his men readying themselves in their militant headquarters. Hyomin would be guarded by one hundred and fifty of their finest. The second regiment, serving as their distraction, contained just as many and would need to be just as prepared would they encounter the Tyrant.

 

“Think we stand a chance?” Taeyeon asked from beside Yunho, watching the men prepare their artillery and steeds.

 

“Yes, I think so,” Yunho said. “The Tyrant may be powerful but we have a few tricks of our own.”

 

“They better be some good tricks,” Taeyeon said causing Yunho to chuckle. “Anything I can help with?”

 

“We’re good. Just see to it you are prepared as well,” Yunho sad looking down to the short mage.

 

“Will do,” Taeyeon nodded with a smile before turning to take her leave. Suddenly, an unknown object whizzed past face and she gasped, flinching back. She look towards where the object had gone to discover it was a raven, now perched on top of a horse.

 

“Stupid bird,” Taeyeon grumbled before continuing forward until a thought occurred to her. She looked back at the raven again and noticed its deep red eye. What was unusual was they did not seem like actual eyes, but a rock in their place. Like gems. Though their world housed various exotic creatures, Taeyeon had never seen a raven with such a quality before. She did spare it much thought as the raven lifted itself into the air and flew away into the horizon.

 

-

 

Hyomin rested her head over her arms, watching people below her window scurry about making arrangements for the day. Dawn had yet to come but she had been roused to get ready to depart soon. She had spent merely a day in this grand city and was already forced to leave just as she was getting used to being in the Palace. Who could not get use to the royal treatment she had been receiving? From a fulfilling meal to a luxurious room where she was able to sleep away her worries comfortably.

 

Being taken across the country, she could only hope for more wondrous things to experience and see.

 

A knock sounded at her door and she turned to see Hyoyeon enter her room.

 

“Hey, you all set?” Hyoyeon asked, walking into the room.

 

“Yep,” Hyomin said, pushing herself away from the window. “Do we have to go so soon? I was starting to like it here.”

 

“You mean you started liking us chasing you around?” Hyoyeon said, placing her hands on her hips.

 

“It’s not like I get lost on purpose!” Hyomin giggled, walking up to her bed to pick up her bag.

 

“Yeah, I’m starting to not believe that. Come on, let’s grab some breakfast before we leave.”

 

-

 

“Uncle, for the hundredth time, stop worrying,” Sunny assured her uncle as she walked with him down the Palace corridors.

 

“Perhaps it would be better if you stayed behind,” the King insisted.

 

“Uncle,” Sunny stopped in her tracks and stood in front of the King, “stop,” she chuckled. “I will be okay. You know I will.”

 

“Truth to be told, I don’t,” the King sadly spoke. “I have confidence in you Soonkyu but I do not wish to underestimate the Tyrant.”

 

“Don’t, but don’t underestimate me either,” Sunny smiled. “Relax, I won’t do anything stupid, I won’t try to be a hero, I will stay safe at all times,” Sunny asserted as she adjusted her uncle’s suit. “The only think you need to be worried about is your speech today.” The distraught city had been demanding for answers regarding the calamities throughout Kaia; today the King would finally address the people and pledge them their resolve to put an end to it.

 

“Please do,” the King said, placing a hand over his niece’s head. “Your father will wring me by the neck were I to let anything happen to you.”

 

Sunny heartily laughed as she enveloped the King in a gentle hug. “Don’t worry. I won’t let that happen.”

 

-

 

“Stand in your positions!” the General Yunho bellowed orders to his troops as they lined together behind the Palace, from where they would take their leave. The hundred and fifty men were divided and lined into 30 rows, the soldiers at the front, followed by the rangers, the elementalists and the healers at the back.

 

Hyomin watched with stunned eyes as the numerous soldiers obeyed their General’s command. She and the other mages, sans Sunny, arrived moments ago along with others who would see them off. The mages had replaced their usual long dressed with attires for suited for their journey. Shorter dresses, small jackets and trousers with long boots.

 

“All these people are meant to guard me?” Hyomin asked the mages who stood around her.

 

“I wonder they’re even enough,” Yoona pondered.

 

“Even enough?!” Hyomin exclaimed. “There’s like… a thousand of them?!”

 

Changmin laughed as he walked up to the group of girls. “Only 150, but of our absolute best. The Tyrant won’t be allowed anywhere near you,” Changmin smiled proudly over the troops. Hyomin on the other hand wasn’t sure if she should feel privileged to have 150 guards or worried that she even needed 150 guards.

 

“I think we stand a pretty good chance,” Hyoyeon said, feeling a boost of confidence from their robust armada.

 

“Don’t get too confident though,” Yunho said as he and Siwon joined them, “you’ll never know what the Tyrant will throw at us. Changmin, is your team ready?”

 

“We’re all set to go,” Changmin said with a nod. “Though I very much rather you let me go with you,” he said, concern clearly showing in his face. Changmin was to lead the second regiment, which would deter the Tyrant from Yunho’s as they safely transfer Hyomin to their destination.

 

“I need you to keep the Tyrant off us. For that, there’s no one I trust better than you,” Yunho said.

 

“We should be more worried for you,” Yuri said. “If all goes according to plan, you’re more likely to face the Tyrant than us.”

 

“If we do, we’ll give him a good one,” Changmin smirked confidently.

 

“Be careful, alright?” Yunho said.

 

“I will be,” Changmin answered with a smile.

 

“Best get a move on then,” Siwon said. Changmin nodded and turned to Siwon to shake his hand.

 

“All the best to you,” Changmin said. “You girls take care as well,” he said to the nine mages, ruffling Taeyeon’s hair beside him, who laughed as she swatted his hand away. “And Hyomin,” he said as he turned to the Earth girl, who was surprised to be addressed, “thank you again, for being here for us.”

 

Hyomin awkwardly smiled in return. “Uh, of course. Stay safe.”

 

Changmin finally looked to Yunho who let out a deep sigh and stepped up to envelope Changmin in an embrace.

 

“Return safely Changmin,” Yunho whispered to him.

 

“I will,” Changmin smiled to the older man, who he saw as a brother to him, and pulled back from his hold. “Good luck to all of you,” were his final words before he turned to take his leave. As he was making his way back into the Palace, the King along with Sunny and the Prime Minister stepped out.

 

“Changmin, you are leaving?” the King asked the young man.

 

“Yes, your Majesty,” Changmin answered with a bow. “The regiment is ready. By your command.”

 

The King placed a hand over Changmin’s shoulder. “Return safely, Changmin.”

 

“I will your Majesty,” he bowed to the King. Wasting not another second, he left to where his troops awaited for him.

 

“Hyomin,” Yunho called for Hyomin’s attention, “come,” he said as he led her to his troops. Yunho guided her to the center of the aligned soldiers where there was an armored carriage. “You will sit in here,” he said as he opened the carriage’s door. “Throughout our travel, unless we say so, you cannot leave this carriage. If you hear anything alarming on the outside, do not leave. Stay inside until we come for you. Keep the door shut and the window closed at all times,” he explained to her softly. “Do you understand?”

 

“Yes,” Hyomin nodded her head responsively.

 

“Taeyeon and the others will circle around you at all times. They will protect you but so will all our men every step of the way.”

 

“Do not be worried, Hyomin,” the King said as he joined them. “No harm will be brought your way. My people will make sure of it.”

 

“I’m not worried,” Hyomin shook her head feverishly.

 

The King hummed a silent laugh. “Good. You have no reason to be.” The King gestured for Hyomin to take a seat within the carriage and she did as so. “We thank you for this burden you’ve taken for us. We will bring you back home safely, Hyomin,” he told her. Though incessantly troubled within his heart, he desperately wanted Hyomin to trust them and feel safe with them.

 

Hyomin smiled to the King before he gently shut the carriage door. Once it was closed, she was completely consumed in darkness. Left to her own now, she released a deep sigh, liberating the anxiety she could not display to the others. She was adjusting to this new world but she was still very much scared and homesick. Though they had showed her great kindness, she still felt uncomfortable. She had to constantly remind herself, how much this meant for Soyeon, one of the few people she would do anything for.

 

Hyomin looked down at her hands, recalling the incident with the monk who brought about a strange phenomenon from her body. She could not feel it, but something vital was inside her being, so much that a whole world depended on her life. It was a reality she had yet to completely register.

 

“Yunho,” the King turned to the General, “I wish to address the men before you leave.”

 

“Yes, your Majesty,” Yunho said, following the King’s trail as he made his way to the front end. Yunho stopped and spun around to nine mages, “you girls know what to do.”

 

“Yes sir,” Taeyeon said, saluting him, as her companions did the same. Yunho chuckled before rushing to join the King by his side.

 

“Your horses, girls,” Donghae said as he and others brought forth nine striking horses. As the girls settled themselves on their steeds, Krystal ran towards the group and up to Jessica.

 

“Jessica!”

 

“Oh hey squirt,” Jessica greeted her younger sister but before she could say more, she was wrapped into a tight hug.

 

“Be careful, ok?” Krystal spoke softly, tightly embracing her older sister.

 

“I’ll be fine,” Jessica laughed but sincerely returned her sister’s hug.

 

“And don’t do anything stupid. I know you’re gonna do something stupid.”

 

Jessica glared at her sister and lightly smacked her head. “You take care too,” Jessica said, lightly caressing the younger girl’s head.

 

“Good luck to you all,” Sungmin said to his friends and fellow soldiers.

 

“Don’t have too much fun without us,” Donghae said, mounting his steed.

 

“You guys are the ones having all the fun,” Jonghyun whined.

 

“Don’t worry,” Ryeowook said, “I have plenty of fun work for the rest of you.”

 

“Hey you know what,” Kyuhyun spoke up, “take him with you,” he said shoving Ryeowook forward.

 

“The King wishes to speak,” Leeteuk hushed the others, turning everyone’s attention to the front where the King stood with Yunho.

 

“My men,” the King said, looking over his soldiers, “you have been chosen for a great task. Evil has plagued our nation, our world, and you will face this very evil. In your hands lie our salvation, and you to deliver it the people. To protect from the evil that is the Tyrant. To stand against him may be thought to be ludicrous as for sure, some of you may meet your fate. I do not wish for any more death but it is a reality we must accept but not one to hinder us. He may break our bodies but we cannot allow him to break out spirit. Stand tall against him and he will never truly defeat you, even in death.” The King took a deep breath, giving one last look over his soldiers, who stood bravely, not faltering at the mention of death. They were ready to face the perils ahead for their people. “I wish to see all of you return home safely. Fight valiantly and protect one another. God be with you all.”

 

The troops bellowed a deep chant and bowed their heads to their King.

 

“Yunho, lead them well,” the King said, placing a hand over the General’s shoulder.

 

“Yes, your Majesty.” Yunho gave one final bow to the King before making his way to his steed. He mounted the horse and glanced back to his militants. “Onwards!” he roared, kicking his heel into the side of his horse and began to lead the troops forward.

 

The King stepped aside with the others, watching the large unit gradually begin to move behind Yunho. As the nine mages came up, circling the carriage that carried Hyomin, they waved a hand to their friends.

 

“Be back quick!” the young mage Luna exclaimed, waving her hands to her friends, Krystal beside her, worrisomely waving a single hand as well.

 

“Are you guys ready for this?” Sunny asked her companions.

 

“Heck no!” Yuri widely grinned sarcastically.

 

“Anyone else getting butterflies in their stomach?” Tiffany asked, clenching her teeth.

 

“I have hummingbirds in mine,” Hyoyeon said.

 

“Stomach… now I’m hungry,” Sooyoung commented.

 

“Be brave everyone!” Seohyun exclaimed. “Together we shall triumphant in our quest!”

 

“That’s nice Seohyun but I’m still hungry,” Sooyoung said.

 

From behind the King and the others who saw off their friends, 12 young boys watched as well as the squadron took their leave.

 

“I don’t see what’s to worry about,” one of the boys, Sehun, said, “that’s one tough army Yunho’s leading.”

 

“I wish we could go along,” Chanyeol frowned.

 

“It is better for us to remain here,” Luhan interjected, “our city and others still require protection as well.”

 

“Kris, what do you think?” Tao asked looking up to the taller boy, “do you think they’ll make it?”

 

Kris sighed as he watched the carriage carrying their liberator drive away, knowing well their path would see to many obstacles. “We’ll just have to wait and see.”

 

-

 

Yunho led his squadron quietly out of the Imperial City. Word had spread to the people of a battalion deploying today in order to face the Tyrant. As such many had awoken early and took to the streets to witness the departure of the army led by Changmin. This allowed Yunho to lead his team quietly through the back of the city. Soon, they had left the perimeters of the capital and had reached the country side. It was from there, every single one of them remained attentive of all their surroundings, ready to draw their swords or cast their magic on any aggressor. However, hours passed and many miles were crossed, they had yet to face any troubles since leaving the Imperial City. Their quest so far, was completely uneventful.

 

Seohyun took a deep breath of the fresh air, as their squadron walked through a clearing in a forest. “It’s a beautiful day.”

 

“And I am so bored.”

 

Seohyun laughed, looking back to Jessica behind here. She, Jessica and Yoona rode to one side of Hyomin’s carriage. Sunny, Tiffany and Taeyeon on the other. Yuri, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon trailed at the back.

 

“Honestly, I thought as soon as we stepped out of the city, we’d be neck in hideous creatures with magic a blazing,” Sooyoung said.

 

“They made it sound like we could be dead within a day,” Hyoyeon said.

 

“Instead, the only thing that’s gonna kill us is boredom,” Jessica groaned.

 

“Or Jessica,” Yoona laughed.

 

“Let’s hope it stays this way for the remainder of the journey, and that Jessica remains the most of our worries,” Tiffany said as the other laughed, whereas Jessica stuck her tongue out at them.

 

Sunny giggled with the rest, turning her attention to the carriage when she saw Hyomin’s head resting over the door through the open window.

 

“Hyomin!” Sunny called to her, bringing her horse closer, “keep the window closed.”

 

“Oh come on,” Hyomin whined lifting up her head, “you think you guys are bored? I’m the one trapped in this box with no one even to talk to.”

 

“It’s for your own good. Keep the window closed at all times.”

 

“But-“

 

“Hyomin,” Sunny spoke firmly, showing she would not accept any excuses. Hyomin stared back, hoping for her guardian’s expression to falter but it did not. With a sigh, she shut the window.

 

Hyomin slumped back in her seat. Her initial hopes of an exciting trip to see more of this world were dashed as soon as she was secluded to this carriage. To remain in here for the next 2 weeks, she was certain she would lose her mind.

 

Hyomin picked up her bag and rummaged through it in hopes to find something to keep her entertained. She came across her camera that she had she snuck with her, despite Soyeon’s warning. Hyomin listened to the voices outside, making sure her guardians’ attention were elsewhere before pulling the camera out. She turned it on, outstretched her arm, lifting up the camera and began to film herself.

 

“Day 2 on Kaia,” she smiled up to the camera. “We left the city and have been travelling for some hours. I have no idea where we are right now because they won’t let me out of this carriage.” She sighed. “It was really pretty outside though. This world is not so bad really. I think now that I’m getting use to it, it’s like the kind of place in fairy tale, a place where every girl wants to live in,” she spoke up to the camera. “The people are really nice actually. I like my guardians too. Tiffany is really nice, so is Taeyeon, Yuri and the others. They’re really funny too,” she giggled. She then scrunched her face, showing a displeased expression. “Sunny’s nice too but sometimes she gets really bossy. I think sooner or later she’s going to want to punch me,” she laughed. She paused when she heard a voice singing outside her carriage.

 

“Doo doo roo, doo doo doo, kissing you baby,” Tiffany sang, the others erupting in laughter at her sudden desire to sings but she continued.

 

“Doo doo roo, doo doo doo, loving you baby,” Taeyeon sang along. Eventually, each one of the other girls naturally sang along in a beautiful harmony. The soldiers smiled at the sweet voices of the mages and took delight in their melody.

 

Leeteuk smiled back at girls, able to clearly hear their soft voiced despite being at the very front of the cavalry, separated by half of their many soldiers.

 

“Seems all is going well so far,” Leeteuk said, turning back forward.

 

“So far,” Yunho said, his eyes fixated on the path ahead, “our journey has only just-”

 

Yunho was interrupted when his and Leeteuk’s horse came to an abrupt halt and began whinnying frantically. They attempted to calm the horses but they would not cease their frenzy as they moved about anxiously.

 

“Whoa! Steady!” Yunho commanded his horse. “Something has alarmed them?”

 

Before Leeteuk could answer, his horse lifted itself up on his hind legs, pushing him off to the ground. The horse then sprinted off into the forest.

 

Yunho turned to face Leeteuk, “are you all…” but he trailed off once he saw all his horsemen struggle with their own steed.

 

“Whoa, take it easy!” Taeyeon exclaimed as she attempted to calm her horse, massaging its neck.

 

“What’s gotten into all the horses?” Yuri asked in apprehension, watching every horse became hysterical and restless, as if wanting to escape.

 

Yunho’s jaw tightened. Something was amiss and he feared for it to be what they had most hoped not to encounter.

 

“Yunho!”

 

Yunho looked down to Leeteuk who was staring straight at the ground.

 

“The ground… is trembling,” Leeteuk said, cautiously watching the ground.

 

Though Yunho could not feel it upon his steed, he looked down to see small rocks bounce over the earth. The tremor grabbed the attention of all the soldiers and they became fixated on the ground as well.

 

Leeteuk gulped as he looked up from the ground. “Perhaps I spoke too soon.”

 

What sounded next sent a deep chill down their spines; a blood curdling scream drew everyone’s attention to the back end of the troops, where the soldiers looked about wildly, searching for the source of the terrifying shriek.

 

Hyomin, from within her carriage, heard the scream and sat up straight, her body becoming tense.

 

“What was that?!” Yoona frightfully asked.

 

“Stay calm, stay calm,” Taeyeon assured her companions. A second terrifying scream sounded, every person turning about frantically, searching for the source. The soldiers began to arm themselves, preparing for whatever onslaught was upon them.

 

“What was that? Was is it one of our men?” Yunho desperately asked, looking over his soldiers but unable to spot any oddity.

 

Suddenly, right before his eyes, a soldier who stood before him let out a devastating scream as he was violently pulled down and into the ground, merely in seconds, leaving nothing but a puff of dust.

 

Yunho’s eyes grew in fear, his mouth agape, at what he just witnessed. His military mind thought fast, as the realization dawned upon him.

 

“It’s underground… THERE’S SOMETHING UNDER THE GROUND!” he yelled to his soldiers. Before any of them could react, more of them began to be pulled into ground before each other’s eyes.

 

Jessica screamed as a soldier nearby her disappeared before her eyes. “What the hell is going on?!” she shrieked, her horses stumbling backwards.

 

“Don’t leave the carriage! Stay close!” Taeyeon yelled over the screams of the soldiers. She ignited her hand in a blue flame, ready to strike at their invisible assailant.

 

Hyomin began to breathe heavily as she heard more screams but was literally left in the dark at what was occurring on the outside. “Tiffany!” she cried out for the mage but she received no response. She wanted to open the doors, to find out what was happening, but recalled the warning she had received. So she sat back, holding herself in her arms and waited.

 

Yunho watched helplessly as his men became scattered attempting to protect themselves from the unseen force below them. He turned his attention to Leeteuk who had drawn his sword but had failed to notice the gradual crumbling of the ground below his feet.

 

“Leeteuk! Move!” Yunho yelled as he reached his arm out to the man. At his cry, without a word, Leeteuk grabbed his hand and hoisted himself up behind Yunho on his horse, just as a long, bony arm plunged itself out of the ground, where Leeteuk had stood. They watched as the arm pushed itself out of the ground, reveal a ghastly creature. Its figure was similar to a man but it was no man. Its bones protruded its dead grey skin, long sharp talons and fangs and its jaw hung loosely on its horrid face that possessed no eyes, simply two hole in place of its nose.

 

More of the creatures began to appear through the ground, in between and around the soldiers.

 

Yoona gaped in terror as she watched one of the foul beings rise through the ground a nearby. Though it had no eyes, Yoona was sure its attention was upon her and as she predicted, the creature suddenly sprinted her way on all four and lunged into the air at her.

 

“KILL IT, KILL IT, KILL IT!” she heard Hyoyeon’s voice cry as she instinctively ignited a flame in her hand and flung it at the creature. As the flame made impact with the creature, it shrieked like a banshee as it was thrown far back. A cracking of bones and flesh sounded as it landed on the ground, its skin burnt crisp and scorching.

 

“Did I kill it?” Yoona asked with wide eyes, overwhelmed by the sudden incident.

 

The creature slowly picked itself back up on its disfigured limbs, snarling as it reverted its attention back to Yoona.

 

“Nope,” Sooyoung stared in disbelief at the vile monster.

 

“KILL IT AGAIN!” Hyoyeon cried again.

 

Yunho drew his sword as Leeteuk jumped down from the horse and slashed at the foul beast before them. The attack left a deep gash on the beast but did little to phase it as it sprung forward. Leeteuk continued to strike it mercilessly, its blood splattering over his sword and face. Yunho came up from behind the creature and impaled his sword into its body, the creature shrieking menacingly. With a great force, Yunho sliced his sword through its head, the creature falling to the ground, its upper body in half.

 

Without wasting a second, Yunho turned towards his men whom were already deep into battle against the foul creatures and ran in to their aid with Leeteuk by his side.

 

“I’ve never seen such things before!” Donghae exclaimed as he fought back the creatures from atop his horse.

 

“More than likely…” Siwon grunted as he swung his sword and beheaded one of the creatures, “the escaped fiends from the Realm of Reaper.”

 

Sunny shot her magic at the fiends but for every batch she brought down, more would appear. “How many are there?!” she exclaimed.

 

“Just keep them away from Hyomin!” Taeyeon said.

 

Hyomin from inside the carriage heard the voices of her guardians, but as well the horrifying shrieks and the sound of flesh being ripped apart. She could not see anything from within her confines but her heart clenched at the cries of the soldiers. She fought the urge to cry; there were over a hundred people out there fighting to protect her but their own wails left her frightened if they really could.

 

Hyomin brought a hand up to , to cease herself from sobbing, and prayed for the ghastly sounds to come to an end.

 

Soon enough, there were no more shrieks or the clatter of swords. There was now silence.

 

Yunho heaved deeply, blood splattered over his armor as he looked over the torn bodies scattered over the clearing. None remained standing.

 

“I think…” Leeteuk breathed heavily, “we got them all.”

 

Tiffany panted, unable to stop looking about anxiously, in search of more of the creatures that sprung at them from as if nowhere. “Are there any more?”

 

“They are dead,” Seohyun answered her, inspecting the many deformed bounds, “all of them.”

 

“Are you girls alright?” Siwon asked as he and Donghae rode up to them.

 

“We’re fine,” Taeyeon replied, panting like the rest.

 

“Hyomin?” Siwon asked.

 

Tiffany pulled her horse back closer to the carriage and called for the girl inside, “Hyomin! Hyomin, are you okay?”

 

“Tiffany!” Hyomin’s terrified voice sounded. “What’s happening?! Is it over?!” her voice cried.

 

“Don’t worry, it’s over! Everything’s okay!”

 

“Stand by,” Siwon instructed before he and Donghae rode up ahead to Yunho and Leeteuk.

 

“How many do you reckon we lost?” Yunho asked Leeteuk, sheathing his sword. Leeteuk looked over their men, many of whom sat on the ground, catching their breath or having fallen from injuries, the healers attending to their wounds.

 

“Perhaps 20 or so,” Leeteuk said. “I did not think we would encounters such troubles so soon into our journey.”

 

“Who is to say how many of us are left standing at the end of it,” Yunho brooded. Donghae and Siwon soon approached them, dismounting from their horses to join their side.

 

“Are you two alright?” Donghae asked, exhaling deeply.

 

“We’re fine,” Yunho replied, “Hyomin?”

 

“She’s safe,” Siwon said, with a nod of his head.

 

“Good,” Yunho said, bowing his head down as he caught his breath. As his eyes laid on the ground, he observed the disturbed soil from which the creatures rose from. He kneeled down, running his hand through the soil, and clenching it in his fist. His thoughts wandered to the men who had been snatched away from them so easily, without even the chance to fight back. Now they were lost forever. Sorrow and anger filled Yunho’s heart.

 

“There was nothing we could do,” Leeteuk said, understanding the pain in Yunho’s eyes. Before Yunho could speak, the ground began to tremble again. This time, much more violently.

 

“Oh not again!” Jessica whined as their horses began to panic once more.

 

“No,” Seohyun said, her mind at work as she watched the ground beneath her shake, “I feel this quake is something entirely different.”

 

Yunho gasped and jumped back when a crack formed upon the trembling ground. Further cracks opened, spreading over the clearing, forming long chains. A force then pushed up from below the ground, causing it to curve.

 

“Oh this can’t be good,” Sooyoung said as she and the others were slightly lifted over the arched terrain.

 

Without a moment to react, a massive force shot out from the surface, like an eruption of a volcano, aggressively tossing back the mages and every other person including the armored carriage that was flung away and rolled across the surface. Hyomin cried out as she was thrashed dangerously within the carriage.

 

Having fallen from their horses, Yuri lifted herself up and searched for Hyomin’s carriage, finding it thrown sideways further away from them. She turned back to the force that shook them and fell open at the alarming sight she beheld.

 

A massive worm like creature, lifting perhaps 50 feet into the air, thorns covering its entire body and long claws over its mouth, roared loudly into sky before menacingly looking down upon them.

 

“PULL BACK!” Yunho yelled out to his men. Upon his orders, his soldiers scurried to their feet and ran from the beast as it reached down to attack.

 

“Move! Move! Move!” Jessica yelled as she grabbed Seohyun beside her ran back from the beast’s impending attack. The mages retreated in time before the beast swiped its entire body across the surface. They stumbled from the tremor of its body’s impact against the ground but hurriedly composed themselves. Many evaded the beast whereas some other became crushed under its weight.

 

“Mages! Rangers! Fire!” Yunho yelled his commands. The soldiers would be unable to engage in close combat with the beast without being dangerously injured. The elemantalists and rangers would be able to attack it from a safe distance.

 

The rangersbrought up their bows and fired their piercing arrows at the beast. All those with magic abilities, including the nine mages, ignited their power and fired at the beast.

 

The beast howled as it took their arrows and blazing energy to its skin. Agitated by their assaults, it let out a deep growl and the thorns from its body shot out at the soldiers. The thorns shot out so fast, it was through sheer luck some were able to evade or shield themselves in time, whereas others were pierced by the sharp thorns, crying in agony.

 

“Look out!” Taeyeon yelled as the mages put up magical shields or jumped out of the way of the attack. Yuri barely jumped away in time as a thorn whizzed past her leg and left a deep gash. She yelped as she fell to the ground, clutching the area around her wound.

 

“Yuri!” Tiffany cried out for her and she ran to her side.

 

“I’m okay! It just got my leg,” Yuri winced, inspecting the gash.

 

“It’s get ready to attack again! Defend yourselves!” they heard Yunho’s voice yell. The mages looked up to see the beast’s whole body judder. It opened its wide mouth, its fangs spreading widely as it let out a breath of fire down upon them.

 

Seohyun quickly reacted, stepping in front of her companions and lifted up a large magical barrier, shielding them all from the hot flames. The beast threw its breath across the terrain, the other mages putting up the same defense as Seohyun while the other soldiers shielded themselves.

 

Yunho ran as fast as he could to avoid the flames. He leaped at the ground, rolling away from the direction of fire as it passed over his head. He lifted his head up to observe his surroundings; many of the soldiers had not been as lucky as he as the scorching flames had melted through their armors. He snarled in anger, lifting himself up and picking up his sword, determined to bring the beast down, yet he froze when he spotted Hyomin’s carriage thrown off to the side. His care of the beast faded as he sprinted towards the carriage as fast as he could.

 

“HELP!” Hyomin yelled as she pushed up against the door of the carriage. “Tiffany! Jessica! Hyoyeon!” she cried out for all her guardians. Her carriage had been flung sideways, denting its body hazardously, causing the door, now above her head, to be jammed. The cries outside persisted, this time accustomed by a monstrous roar like she has never heard before. She could no longer her the voices of her guardians and dreaded of what had become of them.

 

Hyomin heard a clanging against her carriage and gasped, stepping back as much as she could, fearing for what could be outside. She held her breath as the unseen being sounded from behind the door, seemingly pulling at it. Hyomin froze, wanting to cry out but could not find her own voice.

 

When the door flung open, Hyomin released a deep breath of relief to see it was the General Yunho.

 

“Grab my hand!” Yunho exclaimed as he reached his arm down. Hyomin grabbed his hand and was lifted up. She climbed out from the door and crawled to the edge to jump down from atop the carriage until she realized the horrific sight before her.

 

Bodies strewn across the ground, of the soldiers and disfigured beings she could identify. Trees and the short grass had caught fire and at the center of the clearing she beheld a sight of a monster so shocking, it chilled her spine in terror and sent goosebumps over her skin. The voice that had been lost within her would’ve erupted had Yunho not quickly grabbed her and hid her behind the carriage from the beast’s view.

 

“Are you hurt?” Yunho asked her taking note of the cut on her lip and abrasion on her temple, but she could only stare up at him with wide shaken eyes, her breathing loud and rasp.

 

stuttered furiously as she tried to form her words. “W-what… what is that?!”

 

“Stay calm. Everything is going to be alright,” he told her, holding onto her shoulders but the trauma remained in her face.

 

“Yunho!” the General turned around to find Sunny running up to them.

 

“Sunny!” Yunho grabbed her arm and drew her close. “Take Hyomin and get out of here!”

 

“What?!”

 

“Take her into the forest! Just run and don’t stop!” Yunho ordered her as he pulled Sunny towards Hyomin.

 

“But what about-“

 

“Do I as I say!” he yelled. “GO!”

 

Sunny did not waste another minute as she grabbed Hyomin’s hand and sprinted into the forest with her.

 

“Girls!” Siwon shouted to the remaining mages who continually fought against the beast. “Stay with Hyomin! Leave this to us!” he bellowed to them. The girls turned to where Hyomin’s carriage was and saw Sunny guiding her away into the forest. “Go! Go now!”

 

“Let’s go!” Sooyoung shouted to the others, running in the direction Sunny had left, the others by her side. Taeyeon however quickly halted and turned back, running to where she first fell of her horse. There she found her bag of vital supplies and hastily picked it up before retreating again. She immediately froze when she spotted a pair of familiar eyes.

 

In front of her, sitting atop of a dead body of a soldier, was the dark raven she had encountered much earlier in the day. With its deep red malformed eyes, it gazed back at Taeyeon. How was this bird here, Taeyeon wondered, staring back into its soulless eyes. She looked back to the battlefield, where her country’s men cried as they were being slayed. Gradually, a realization dawned upon.

 

Taeyeon’s face went red with fury as she looked back at the raven. A white flame burst in her hand.

 

The raven cawed as it flapped its wings and lifted itself into the air but it would not escape Taeyeon’s blast of energy flung at it. She watched as the flame collided with the bird, incinerating it within seconds, its ashes crumbling to the ground.

 

Taeyeon heatedly gazed upon the burnt ashes before running to join her companions, her mind engaged in one thought alone.

 

The Tyrant had been watching them. 

 

 

 

 

 

-

KING: YA'LL THE BADDEST ES NOW GET OUT THERE
ARMY: YEAAAAAAAH *killed by giant worm*

I crack myself up lolll. *brick'd*

Do enjoy this new chapter everyone! Just wanted to leave a note; I have much to improve when it comes to descriptive writing so I wanted to provide better visualization for some things. For the city of Essinia and their whole world in general, imagine something Final Fantasy esque. Like Rabanastre but please let your imagination take over as well (to fuel your imagination: 1, 2, 3, 4.)

For the girls new attire, was not satisfied with how I describe those so were I to give examples, Final Fantasy or just your general Japanese RPG style outfits e.g http://bit.ly/1n6fI8O Without the sword, they don't get a nice sword.

For the monsters, I think I'm able to do a better job at that but just in case, imaging every fiendish monster you can from any sort of action or horror video games lol.