Chapter 11

LACRIMOSA

 

"Taeyeon, wait!"

 

Taeyeon stopped in her track to look back and find Tiffany jogging her way up to her.

 

"Where you going?" Tiffany asked her. She had caught Taeyeon at the Palace gates, just as she was about to leave.

 

"I wanted to go see my family for a while," Taeyeon told her. Though she was unable to see her family often, during this ongoing crisis she felt the need to visit them, to be assured of their safety.

 

"Can I tag along?" Tiffany asked.

 

"Sure," Taeyeon smiled, extending her hand out for Tiffany to take. Tiffany returned her smile and hand in hand they made their way out of the Palace.

 

"You're worried for them?" Tiffany asked Taeyeon.

 

"I am," she responded. "I know they're worried for me too. Need to let them know I'm alright."

 

"Don't worry," Tiffany said as she tugged on Taeyeon’s hand, “everything will be fine now.”

 

“You think so?” Taeyeon asked as she took a glance back at the Palace where a certain Earthling now resided. “Whatever it is Hyomin’s suppose to do, I hope it works because things have seemed really hopeless thus far.”

 

“It’ll work,” Tiffany assured her, “we’re on the right track now.”

 

“I hope. I don’t want anyone else to get hurt,” Taeyeon said, squeezing on Tiffany’s hand wanting to pull it closer though became bashful and resorted to just swinging their arms as they walked.

 

-

 

Hyomin peeked her head up from below the window, watching Tiffany and Taeyeon in the distance as they left the Palace. She had quickly taken cover when Taeyeon looked back, though there was little chance for her to be spotted considering the height and distance she was at. As the two mages carried on further, Hyomin stood back up from her hiding spot and jogged across the large window.

 

After the inexplicable experience with the elder earlier, she was escorted back to her room where she was allowed to rest. Rest was the last thing on Hyomin's mind though. Her curiosity had gotten then best of her and she wanted to explore. After the nine mages left her in her room, she sneaked her way out and it only took minutes before she realized she was lost. She couldn't even find the way back to her room, but she had wandered off too far anyhow, why not press forward. Hyomin imagined she wouldn't necessarily get in trouble for leaving her room, but she almost felt like a mischievous child right now.

 

With wide, fascinated eyes, Hyomin continued her exploration of the Palace. Pearl white walls and marble floor, glimmering ceiling ornaments, it was like a castle from a fairy tale. Whereas she first felt fear when she stepped onto this world, for the moment, she felt marvel.

 

When Hyomin approached a turn in the corridor, she placed herself against the wall and slowly peeked her head around the corner to inspect the area of any persons. She found guard at the very end of corridor, though he was already walking away. Hyomin waited patiently for him to leave before she would continue on her way.

 

"What you up to?"

 

Hyomin gasped and abruptly spun around, losing her balance over her feet and tumbling onto her backside. She winced as she rubbed her sore back and looked to see the short brunette Sunny standing before her with her arms crossed and half grin on her face.

 

"Aren't you suppose to be in your room?" Sunny asked, tapping her finger on her arm.

 

"I, um… "Hyomin stuttered over her words, unable to come up with an explanation she felt she wouldn't get in trouble for, "I'm-I’m sorry, I-um, I just wanted to-"

 

Sunny giggled at the girl's stuttering, "it's okay," she said as she leant forward and offered her hands to Hyomin which she accepted and hoisted herself back up. "Getting a little look around the place?"

 

"Yeah," Hyomin shyly responded, giving her backside another rub. "Sorry I left my room."

 

"It's okay. I bet you would be pretty curious being in a completely new world."

 

Hyomin smiled meekly in response and lowered her gaze.

 

"Well, I suppose I could give you a tour around the Palace. You are our guest after all. Come on," Sunny said as she walked past Hyomin.

 

"Really?" Hyomin asked, surprised by Sunny's hospitality. She and Sunny had not had the best of starts. Her first impression of Sunny was that she was crazy and wanted to avoid her. After realizing she was not crazy at all, she felt somewhat intimidated by her.

 

"Yeah, come on," Sunny ushered her again with smile. Hyomin broke into a bright smile and jogged up to Sunny's side. The shorter girl guided her through the hallways, relaying various details and stories of the Palace. Over time, Hyomin felt more at ease with Sunny, eventually taking the lead in their little tour, excitedly running about to look through the various rooms and corridors.

 

"Would you wait up!" Sunny chuckled as she tried to catch up to Hyomin who had wandered off yet again like a young child in a playground.

 

"You're such a slow tour guide!" Hyomin joked.

 

"Do you want to be locked up in your room?" Sunny retorted.

 

"Just kidding!" Hyomin giggled as she skipped ahead. Though Sunny was quite strict with her, Hyomin found her to be otherwise very pleasant and likeable.

 

Hyomin took a turn into an open corridor, where to the left there were archway entrances that allowed a view of a luscious green garden which she found herself entranced by. She stepped up to one of the archway pillars, placing a hand over it as she marveled over the sight with glimmering eyes. Over the stretch of green were various colors of flowers, bushes, trees and a majestic fountain further ahead.

 

"Wow," Hyomin whispered.

 

"Nice, huh?"

 

"It's beautiful," Hyomin said. "I've never seen a garden like this before."

 

Sunny observed Hyomin's expression, amused by her immense fascination. Hyomin leaned her head against the pillar took a deep sigh.

 

"It's slowly starting to settle in that I'm really someplace else.”

 

"Oh it didn't the first time when we took you through a magical portal, gave you a view of the city, had magic manifest through your body and, oh, when you fainted as well?" Sunny giggled.

 

Hyomin laughed along with the mage. "It's just that everything happened so fast, it all felt so unreal! Now that we've slowed down a bit I'm slowly starting to… realize."

 

"Don't worry, you'll eventually adjust. I think you'll like our world."

 

"I really like your big castle so far," Hyomin grinned to which Sunny laughed. Silence fell upon the two as Hyomin returned to marveling over the exquisite garden. After a moment, she addressed Sunny again. "That thing that old man did to me."

 

"The monk?"

 

"Yes, that monk," Hyomin trailed off, searching for how she wished to relay her concerns. "Nothing bad is going to happen to me, right?"

 

"No," Sunny immediately assured her. Though their nation was currently in turmoil, she did not wish for the girl to be frightened. It would as well make it hard to have her cooperate with them. "Nothing's going to happen to you at all. We'll be looking after you at all times."

 

"Ok," Hyomin nodded her head. Though anxious, those were just the words she wanted to hear and believe in and allowed her to relax for at least the moment. She looked back up at Sunny with a smile, "can we go into the garden?"

 

Sunny opened to speak but before she could utter a word, Hyomin already sped off into the garden. Sunny chuckled at the other girl's exuberance and quickly jogged after her. They spent some time roaming the gardens before exploring the Palace further. Hyomin wasn't even sure what floor they were on but her enthusiasm remained. She trudged on ahead of Sunny who didn't feel the need to keep up with her pace anymore as Hyomin would consistently scamper in various directions. The Earthling finally came to a halt though in front of a large door.

 

"What's in here?" Hyomin asked Sunny.

 

"The vault for various treasures and artifacts. It's an enclosed area," Sunny explained when she saw Hyomin reach for the door handle.

 

"Oh come on, just one peek?" Hyomin asked.

 

"No," Sunny sternly responded.

 

"Please," Hyomin pleaded. She then pouted her lips in hopes of achieving a pitiful look to persuade Sunny, who instead was trying her best not to laugh.

 

Sunny sighed and took a look around, finding no guard or any other person around. "Just a peek, okay?"

 

Hyomin brightly smiled and bounced up on her feet. She turned to open the door but found it wouldn't budge. "It's locked?"

 

Sunny stepped forward and inspected the door herself, indeed finding it locked. Not having a key on her, she brought a finger up and pointed it straight at the keyhole of the door. She twirled her finger and  an audible click followed. Hyomin heard the faint sound and looked between the door and Sunny, wondering upon her actions. Sunny grabbed the door handled and pushed it. Hyomin gasped when she saw the shorter girl successfully push the door open.

 

"Wow," Hyomin looked up to Sunny with fascinated eyes. "Can you do that on every door?" she asked like an awestruck child.

 

"There are many things I can do," Sunny answered, amused to have captivated the girl with her simple trick. Hyomin gazed at Sunny with wistful admiration for a moment before pushing the doors further open and running inside.

 

"I said just…" Sunny yelled after the girl but she had already taken off into the room, "…a peek," Sunny groaned. Taking one last precautionary look around the halls, Sunny stepped inside as well and shut the door behind her.

 

She didn't find Hyomin far, just a few meters away in fact, as she marveled over the luminous treasures that adorned the entire room. Riches upon riches adorned the walls, shelves and every corner, the entire room glimmering in a magnificent gold sparkle.

 

Hyomin looked over at Sunny. "Can I have some of this stuff?"

 

"No!" Sunny rebuked. Hyomin flinched from her harsh tone but giggled and walked further into the room.

 

"Where is this all from?" Hyomin asked, turning in circles as she walked to examine every corner of the room.

 

"Various escapades, inheritance or gifts," Sunny explained.

 

"Since you're like a princess, is any of this yours?" Hyomin asked as she observed a golden vase, lightly tracing a finger over its intricate design.

 

Sunny chuckled, "A, I'm not a princess," she said as she walked over to Hyomin, "and B, don't touch anything," Sunny instructed as she slapped Hyomin's hand away from the vase. Hyomin pouted her lips at Sunny but then took on a more mischievous expression. She poked her finger on the vase.

 

"I said don't touch!" Sunny said. Hyomin poked the vase again though. "Stop it!" Sunny exclaimed again. Hyomin poked out her finger again but this time quickly retracting it to dodge Sunny's hand. She poked it out again and again though, all the while successfully dodging Sunny's attack.

 

"I said stop-ok you know what, let's go," Sunny reprimanded as she grabbed Hyomin's arm.

 

"Ok, ok, I'll be good!" Hyomin giggled as she pulled away from Sunny and raced away to another spot in the room.

 

Hyomin continued to explore the room, questioning all the different treasures and artifacts, fighting the temptation to touch and hold them in her hands.

 

"What's this?" Hyomin asked as she bent her knees to view the artifact at eye level. It was a golden short stand, similar to a scepter, hoisted on a small platform. Two extensions curved its way around the top, encaging a small light blue gem.

 

"This is called the Soul Bearer," Sunny said as she joined Hyomin by her side.

 

"Does it do something?" Hyomin asked.

 

"Well it was meant to resurrect any person it was casted upon," Sunny explained.

 

"Really? Bring them back to life? Does it work?"

 

"No, unfortunately. The elder mage who concocted this worked on it for many, many years. He was a man originally of Earth actually."

 

"Really?" Hyomin asked with wide eyes.

 

"Yep. He had always desired to bring magic to Earth, as another source of energy to everyday living and technology. Of course it wasn’t a mere simple thing to do being as your world has a completely different lifestyle than ours.”

 

“Magic does seem cool, but thinking about it’d be kind of scary to think what people could do with it,” Hyomin mused.

 

“Exactly, that was amongst his concerns. Anyhow though, as for this Soul Bearer, what this was meant to do was to encase any person's soul into this gem here," Sunny pointed at the blue gem perched on the top, "and preserve it. If the being's body was to ever die, it can be revived by returning its soul to it from this gem."

 

"Wow," Hyomin whispered in amazement. "So why doesn't it work?"

 

Sunny shrugged. "Apparently the elder mage worked very secretively on this, barely sharing much about it with others. He had passed away due to illness, leaving us with nothing but it itself and its inscriptions."

 

"Have you tried using it?"

 

"We tried, even I assisted in the trial, but we just couldn't get it to do anything. Perhaps we're missing something, we don't know what though but for the time being, it remains in this vault."

 

Hyomin nodded her head in understanding, looking back to the interesting device. She then reached her hand out towards the gem.

 

"I said no touching!" Sunny yelled.

 

"Sorry!" Hyomin sheepishly smile, retracting her hand. Sunny open to speak again but became distracted by a faint voice. She looked towards the entrance of the room, realizing the voice to be coming from outside in the hall. She walked to the doorway to inspect outside but before she could, the doors burst open, revealing a panting Hyoyeon.

 

"Oh Sunny! Oh thank God, Sunny!" Hyoyeon heaved as she approached the girl.

 

"Hyoyeon, what's wrong?" Sunny asked, alarmed by the girl's heavy breathing.

 

"Ok Sunny, don't freak out, because this is totally not my fault," Hyoyeon breathed, raising her hands up as if to shield herself. "I lost Hyomin."

 

Sunny quirked an eyebrow. "You lost Hyomin?"

 

"She was meant to be in her room!" Hyoyeon exclaimed. "We left her there and, and, and I said I would be back in moment but then I came back and she was gone!" Hyoyeon explained breathlessly.

 

Sunny pursed her lips to stop herself from giggling at Hyoyeon's cluelessness.

 

"Hey don't laugh!" Hyoyeon distressfully cried. "I've never dealt with an Earthling!"

 

"Hyoyeon…"

 

"And I'm telling you, this one's gonna give us trouble. I can smell it on hear!" Hyoyeon exaggeratedly spoke.

 

"What?" Sunny chuckled.

 

"She seemed all innocent and sweet at first and then she runs off and is probably doing who knows what around the Palace. She is a mischievous one!”

 

Sunny smirked and crossed her arms, amused by Hyoyeon’s frustration over the supposedly lost girl. "You must've ran around the whole Palace looking for her."

 

"And I can't find her anywhere!" Hyoyeon cried, heaving another deep breath.

 

"Hi!"

 

Hyoyeon spun around to find Hyomin standing before her, adorned with various jewelries around her neck, wrist, fingers, a crown upon her head and perhaps the silliest smile ever. Hyoyeon, with wide eyes, stared at the goofy display for a moment before she started seething.

 

"See?" Hyoyeon said turning back to Sunny, pointing a hand out to Hyomin, "she's already trying to steal the Palace treasure."

 

"I'm just taking a look!" Hyomin defended herself as she walked up to Hyoyeon.

 

"Do you have any idea how long I've been looking for you?!" Hyoyeon yelled. Hyomin frowned slightly, seeing she had agitated the mage.

 

"Sorry," Hyomin meekly responded.

 

"She just wanted to take a look around," Sunny spoke up.

 

"And give me a heart attack?!" Hyoyeon yelled. Hyomin couldn't help but to slightly grin this time.

 

"Thank you for caring," she sweetly said. Hyoyeon stuttered, taken aback by Hyomin's response before mock threateningly raising her fist at the Earth girl who quickly scurried away from the mage's wrath.

 

Sunny chuckled. "She's not so bad." Hyoyeon only sneered in response.

 

"Hyoyeon!" a voice called from the hallway.

 

"In the vault!" Hyoyeon shouted back. Moments later, Yoona and Sooyoung appeared through the doors.

 

"Did you find her?" Yoona asked stepping into the room.

 

"Don't worry, she's with me," Sunny assured them, looking back to find where the girl had disappeared behind all the mounds of treasure. "Hyomin?"

 

At the mention of her name, her head popped up from behind a shelf and she smiled at the new occupants in the room. "Hello!"

 

"Hyomin put the vase down!" Sunny yelled as she jogged after the girl.

 

"I’m just looking! GOD!" Hyomin cried darting away from the shorter girl.

 

"She wanted to look around apparently," Hyoyeon explained to the other two girls.

 

"Could've given us a heads up!" Sooyoung yelled out to Hyomin.

 

"I'm sorry," Hyomin sincerely apologized, stepping forward towards the others while Sunny snatched all the jewelry off her. "I didn't mean to worry anyone. I was just curious."

 

"At least you didn't leave the Palace," Hyoyeon said.

 

"Should we take her around then?" Yoona suggested.

 

"I’ve already shown her around quite a bit," Sunny said, placing away all the jewelry.

 

"What about outside?" Yoona asked.

 

"The Palace?" Sooyoung asked.

 

"Can we?" Hyomin's interest immediately piqued.

 

"No! It would be best to stay in the Palace," Sunny firmly spoke.

 

"Oh what's gonna happen? Please let me go see outside!" Hyomin pleaded.

 

"We could take her to the marketplace," Sooyoung proposed.

 

"That might be fun actually," Hyoyeon agreed.

 

"Yes please!" Hyomin grinned.

 

"No you guys!" Sunny exclaimed.

 

"Oh please, please, please!" Hyomin begged Sunny, putting her hands together. "Just for a short while."

 

"For your safety, you need to stay in the Palace!" Sunny sternly told Hyomin.

 

"Oh come on it won't be so bad," Yoona insisted.

 

"We could use a break, plus it'll help Hyomin get more comfortable," Hyoyeon said.

 

"Please Sunny," Hyomin piteously begged. Sunny looked up to the pouting girl who seemed to be attempting to make the most pitiful face ever to persuade Sunny. Granted, the Imperial City has thus far been safe from danger but Sunny would rather choose to avoid unnecessary outside ventures. Although, there truly was no harm so as long as they kept her under their protection.

 

Sunny sighed. She supposed she owed this little much to the Earth girl who has been taken from her home and already frightened by the earlier revelation of what lay in her.

 

"For a short while then," Sunny finally agreed.

 

"Thank you, thank you!" Hyomin chirped, clapping her hands.

 

"Come on, let's go get the others!" Yoona said as she and Sooyoung began to make their way out of the room, Hyomin excitedly skipping behind. Sunny groaned and walked up beside Hyoyeon.

 

"She might be trouble after all."

 

"Oh I don't know Sunny," Hyoyeon said, "she's not so bad," she grinned, mocking Sunny's earlier words. Sunny laughed and lightly smacked Hyoyeon on the shoulder before the two walked out to join the rest. Merely a few feet away though, the others had been stopped by a guard. Sunny walked up to join them and address the guard.

 

"Is there a problem?"

 

"Your Highness," the guard bowed to greet his King's niece. "His Majesty wishes to see all of you and the Earth girl as soon as possible," the guard informed them.

 

"Very well," Sunny nodded her head before the guard turned to the mages and Hyomin to where the King awaited.

 

"Aren't we going to the marketplace?" Hyomin whined.

 

"We'll go afterward. My uncle needs to see us," Sunny said, speaking more somberly now.

 

"I thought you weren't a princess."

 

"I'm not."

 

"Why did he call you 'your Highness'?"

 

"Formalities."

 

"Do you have people to feed you grapes and fan you with large feathers?”

 

"I can feed myself."

 

-

 

The mages and dignitaries had once again assembled into the conference room, shortly joined by Taeyeon and Tiffany who had been fetched after by a messenger.

 

"I'm sorry we had left, I didn't think we would be needed back so soon," Taeyeon explained as she and Tiffany stepped forward before the others.

 

"No worries, the King has yet to join us but will be here soon," Donghae said.

 

"What is the issue now?" Sunny asked.

 

"It seems a course of action has already been decided upon," Sungmin answered.

 

"What is it?" Jessica asked.

 

"We'll know soon enough," Donghae responded.

 

Tiffany looked over the occupants of the room in search of a tall raven haired girl but could not spot her. "Where's Hyomin?" she asked her friends around her.

 

"Hyomin?" Sunny asked. "Uh," she took a look around her before eventually spotting her at the shelves by the wall, inspecting a golden eagle statue in her hand. Sunny sighed at the girls never ending curiosity. "Hyomin!" Sunny called in a reprimanding tone.

 

"Relax, I'm not going to break anything," Hyomin assured her as she continued toying with the statue. Her fingers found their way to the claws over the pedestal where she felt the two ends were fitted loosely. Wondering if it could be detached, perhaps containing something inside, she pulled a bit on the eagle only to unintentionally put too much force than needed. Hyomin gasped when one of the claws became detached from its pedestal and immediately turned her back to the others in hopes they had not noticed.

 

“Hyomin,” she heard Sunny’s strict tone call. She hesitantly looked over her shoulder to address the upset shorter girl.

 

“Yes?” Hyomin timidly asked.

 

“What did you just do?”

 

Hyomin opened to speak but stopped herself and smiled fretfully. “Nothing.”

 

Jessica sighed, standing up from her seat and walked over to Hyomin. “You broke it didn’t you?”

 

“It was honestly already broken,” Hyomin whispered to Jessica, though the other occupants of the room were more than well aware she broke it.

 

“Oh just give me that!” Jessica snatched the statue from Hyomin’s grasp but once again the statue succumbed under force and became completely decapitated from its pedestal. Jessica stared bewilderedly at the two pieces in her hands. She glanced behind her to find all eyes now on her instead. “Uh, ok, just, put it back,” Jessica instructed Hyomin as she made to stand the eagle back on its pedestal. Hyomin attempted to help but was too afraid to even touch the statue in fear of it completely crumbling. Jessica stumbled with the pieces, the statue eventually falling over with a resounding thud that had everyone in the room groaning. Hyomin immediately stepped back and walked away.

 

“She broke it,” Hyomin pointed back at Jessica who decided to simply lay the objects down and hastily walk away as well.

 

It was shortly after the King, accompanied by Ryeowook, Yunho and Kangta, finally arrived. Ryeowook immediately walked over to the grand table and laid down a very large map.

 

“What’s this?” Taeyeon asked walking over to peer at the very detailed atlas. Ryeowook tapped his finger over a circled region on the middle of the map, located over an ocean.

 

“Our destination,” he said.

 

“Destination?” Tiffany asked.

 

“Where Hyomin’s presence will be needed in order to imprison the Tyrant once again,” Yunho answered.

 

“What is this place and what exactly is Hyomin suppose to do here?” Yuri asked as she and all other occupants of the room encircled the table to view the map.

 

“It is the only lasting Gate to the Realm of the Reaper. There use to be 3, each in different locations. Over the years, 2 were demolished due to natural disaster or some sort of ill-fated incident. This one right here, the Tower of Edea, located over the Golden Sea, remains,” Ryeowook revealed as he tapped his finger over the circled spot again. “This is where we must take Hyomin in order for her to seal the Gate and ultimately drag the Tyrant back into his imprisonment.”

 

“Well that sounds to be a simple plan,” Heechul commented.

 

“Simple,” Siwon said placing his finger of the continent of Essinia, “but quite far,” he said as he traced his finger all the way to the said Tower, crossing over a second continent, “and I doubt we’d be able to simply fly over there.”

 

“No,” the war veteran Kangta shook his head. “To travel by air would be dangerous as the Tyrant had easily incinerated our fleets to the ground. We will travel by foot and eventually take a ship once we reached the coast of Thak in Zhang,” Kangta explained, pointing out the respective locations on the map.

 

“So, is that the plan?” Sunny asked.

 

“The plan is to heavily guard Hyomin as we her to the Tower.” Yunho said. “I have already sent in orders to prepare a troop of our best soldiers for her protection.”

 

“You’re going to send a whole army with me?” Hyomin asked.

 

“Your safety is most imperative,” Yunho said.

 

“How dangerous is it outside? Am I specifically going to be in any danger?” Hyomin asked, slowly becoming fretful.

 

“You carry in you what would be the fall of the Tyrant,” BoA spoke up, addressing Hyomin in a soft voice, “as such he would not allow you to live.”

 

“You mean he’s going to try and kill me?!” Hyomin exclaimed.

 

“We will not allow him to come near you though,” Yunho quickly spoke to ease the girl’s worries. “I will personally be amongst your guards as well.”

 

“As will I,” Changmin spoke from beside Yunho.

 

“I shall accompany them as well,” Siwon volunteered.

 

“I as well,” Donghae spoke up.

 

“It would be a most perilous venture,” the King warned his men.

 

“Your Majesty, I think I can confidently speak on everyone’s behalf that for Hyomin’s safety and for our King and nation, we would take on any odds,” Siwon valiantly spoke.

 

“Are you certain?” the King addressed his commander.

 

“We are,” Siwon nodded his head, as did his comrades beside him.

 

“Then together we shall set afoot immediately the following morning,” Yunho spoke. “Your Majesty?”

 

“Yes,” The King nodded, “the sooner we move, the better. See to it that you perfectly prepared.”

 

“Yes your Majesty,” Yunho bowed to the King.

 

“So I’m going alone?” Hyomin asked.

 

“Of course not, the battalion will be with you every step,” the King answered.

 

“I mean,” Hyomin looked at Sunny, “aren’t you guys coming with me?”

 

“Us?” Sunny questioned, looking to the other mages who looked just as unsure as she. “I’m not certain if-”

 

“I just thought you guys were gonna stick with me maybe,” Hyomin said addressing the other girls.

 

A hesitant Taeyeon addressed the King, stuttering over her words. “Would… would it be possible?”

 

“It would be too dangerous for you girls. You do not have as much experience for something like this,” the King said.

 

“I’m sure we could handle ourselves,” Tiffany said.

 

“Not if you were to confront the Tyrant,” Changmin said.

 

“Come on,” Jessica urged, “we’re more than able to defend ourselves.”

 

“And fight back to,” Sooyoung added.

 

“It’s simply out of the question,” Yunho firmly spoke, “you girls cannot accompany us.”

 

“But,” Tiffany spoke up.

 

“Tiffany,” Yunho sternly interrupted, “we cannot unnecessarily put you girls in danger.”

 

“But we made a promise.” All eyes turned to a previously quiet Seohyun at the back of the mages. “We promised Soyeon, that we would keep Hyomin safe.” Seohyun resolutely spoke.

 

“We did,” Sunny said looking back to Yunho, “and we’re the ones putting Hyomin in danger. She doesn’t even have to be here but she chose to be, to help us.”

 

“What is our safety to hers?” Taeyeon said. Hyomin repressed a small smile, touched by the girls resolve to protect her as they vowed.

 

“I’m sorry girls, but-“

 

“One moment Yunho,” the King interrupted. The nine mages turned to address the King, who remained silently deep in thoughts for a moment. “Are the nine of you readily willing to face the dangers of this escapade?”

 

“Yes,” Taeyeon answered without hesitance.

 

“Do not for a moment underestimate the Tyrant. I know you girls are capable, but I’m sure you know the extent of what he is capable of.”

 

Taeyeon did not answer so abruptly this time, taking the moment to consider the King’s word. The Tyrant was capable of incinerating an entire village. Would their skills be of any contest at all to his dark abilities?

 

“Think about it,” the King insisted.

 

Taeyeon turned to face her companions, all with the same worrisome expression as hers. “What do you all think?” Hyomin as well turned to the others, her eyes showing desperation of the mage’s reliance but the girls remained silent.

 

Yuri wouldn’t openly admit it, but she was frightened by the prospect of this mission. Though she did not want to have to think about it for even a moment but she knew well they risked facing death. All of them did. However, this was more than about her or any one of them, but the survival of their nation, their world. Above all, they owed it to Hyomin, who had come so far for them. They would do the same for her.

 

“What is there to think about?” Yuri was the first to speak. “I’m in,” she said, offering a smile to Hyomin.

 

“So am I!” Tiffany enthusiastically added. A smile grew on Hyomin’s face at the answer she received from two the mages.

 

Hyoyeon looked between her friends, some of whom’s expression showed they still remained torn but she knew her answer. “Count me in too,” Hyoyeon grinned.

 

The motivation of the three mages who had spoken thus far encouraged Yoona’s own resolve. “Me too!”

 

“You know I’m in,” a confident Sooyoung spoke.

 

“Well,” Jessica sighed, “I’d be bored here all on my own so, yeah, I’m in too,” Jessica said, offering a half grin at Hyomin who was now beaming at positive response.

 

“It will be beyond dangerous,” Seohyun spoke, her eyes showing doubt. “We are no match against the Tyrant.” The dread of her words were quick to cripple the determination of the others whom though had the will, were frightened as well. Seohyun looked up to Hyomin who gazed at her with forlorn eyes. Seohyun was scared just as they all were. They could not allow fear to hold them back though. “But,” she trailed off before a smile graced her face, “a promise is a promise. I shall go as well,” Seohyun decided.

 

“We’re all in then?” Sooyoung asked.

 

“You too, right?” Hyomin addressed Sunny.

 

“Of course,” Sunny smiled.

 

“We will go,” Taeyeon turned back to the King.

 

“Are you certain?” the King asked.

 

“Without a doubt,” Taeyeon answered, her companions behind her nodding their heads in affirmation.

 

The King could see the resolve in her eyes but remained uneasy. He turned his attention to his niece who stood with the same courage in her eyes.

 

“Soonkyu,” he softly spoke, taking a step closer to her. “This won’t be a-“

 

“You don’t have to worry about me, uncle,“ Sunny assured him with a smile.

 

“I cannot allow the risk of putting you girls in harm.”

 

“We have nothing but risks to take now. Trust me uncle. I promise that at the end of this, we will return, with Hyomin, in one piece.”

 

The King took a heavy breath. He wouldn’t be able to live with himself if he allowed any harm come to the girls, especially his dear nieces but she was right. At this time, there was no second thought to give. Their priority was not their own but Hyomin’s safety.

 

“Very well then, how about this,” the King stepped forward towards the girls, “I shall appoint the nine of you as the guardians of the Key. You will stay by Hyomin’s side at all times. Her life is now in your hands.”

 

“Yes your Majesty,” Taeyeon accepted boldly.

 

“I was just in it for the joy ride,” Jessica whispered to Sooyoung, who giggled and nudged her in return.

 

“Let us not waste any further time then,” the King addressed all occupants of the room, “Without delay, the fleet will be ready for tomorrow?”

 

“Yes your Majesty,” Yunho said. “We will be able to leave immediately before dawn.”

 

“Good,” the King said. “See to it all preparations are made.”

 

“Yes your Majesty,” Yunho bowed his head to his King. “Leeteuk, Siwon, with me,” he instructed the officers before they with others took their leave from the room in order to prepare for tomorrows journey.

 

“Cool,” Hyomin said, turning to her now guardians, “you guys are like my bodyguards now.”

 

“More like babysitters,” Hyoyeon said.

 

“I ain’t changing any diapers,” Jessica said.

 

“You wouldn’t be able to anyways,” Tiffany giggled.

 

“I’m not a baby!” Hyomin whined to which the others laughed. “Sunny, are we done? Can we go to the marketplace now?” she pleaded to the shorter girl.

 

“Um, I guess…”

 

“Come on then let’s go!” Hyomin said as she grabbed Sunny’s hand and dragged her along to leave.

 

“Wait, wait, wait!” Sunny dug her feet into the ground to stop the excited girl from pulling her any further.

 

“Your Majesty,” Taeyeon turned to the king who was conversing with the others over the map, “may we be excused?”

 

“Yes, you may,” the King permitted.

 

“Come on!” Hyomin immediately pulled at Sunny’s hands again who was left no choice but to comply, groaning all the over.

 

“Babysitting,” Hyoyeon reaffirmed as she and the others followed behind the two.

 

“Be here later tonight for when we further discusse our route!” Ryeowook called after the girls as they made their leave from the conference room.