Chapter 7

Polaris

 


 

“Christmas’ eve or New Year’s eve?”

 

Jongin blinked while Bomi stared at him expectantly. They were having a dinner together at Bomi’s place, Jongin’s hand about to reach the egg roll, when Bomi dropped the question out of nowhere.

 

“What?” he asked back unintelligently.

 

Bomi’s shoulder slumped down, lips pursing a little. “The boss asks us to choose, which day we want to take a day off, because those two days will be the busiest.”

 

Jongin remembered just now that Christmas and New Year was just around the corner. It would be the first he’d spent together with Bomi alone, since they decided not to come home – they would come home for Sehun’s graduation. He needed to buy a present. And sent something for his family. Sehun, and Soojung.

 

He quickly erased the brief thought about Junhee.

 

“You probably want to spend Christmas’ eve with Naeun, should I choose New Year’s eve then?”

 

Jongin lifted his gaze and met Bomi’s brown eyes, because she didn’t have a problem with looking at Jongin directly in the eyes. Her look was familiar, the same look she always gave Jongin through these years; it’s tender, full of encouraging, support… and something else.  

 

“I’ll ask her,” he said, finally picking up the egg roll and moved it to his plate.

 

“… Right,” Bomi confirmed. “Then we’ll spend New Year’s eve together.”

 

***

 

Naeun agreed to go out with him on Christmas’ eve, and that’s why now they strolled leisurely on the road, wrapped in thick coats, enjoying the Christmas’ lights and the noisy chatters of people around them. They just had a dinner at an Italian restaurant and Jongin’s stomach felt warm and fuzzy with the wine he drank after the meal.

 

They walked in a comfortable silence, still basked in personal and intimate moment they shared during dinner through childhood’s stories, dreams, and future plans. Their sides bumped to each other repeatedly, but no one moved to prevent it from happening again and again. Glancing down, Jongin realized Naeun let her hand awkwardly on the side, and Jongin itched to take the slender fingers, intertwining them with his.

 

“Oh, snow,” suddenly Naeun breathed out, looking up to the sky. It’s already snowing since a week ago, but only for short times, leaving dirty, short pile of melted snow on the side of the roads.

 

Maybe it’s the angle of how Naeun stretched her neck out to look up, or maybe it’s the glow of the Christmas’ light that fell onto her hair and face, playing tricks to Jongin’s eyes, or maybe it’s the way Naeun’s lips looked shiny and it parted just a little, but Jongin wanted to kiss her badly.

 

So he did, dipping down until their faces just a mere apart. At the last moment he could see Naeun’s startled look and Jongin paused a moment, giving her time to push him away.

 

She didn’t and Jongin kissed her, slow and tentative, again giving Naeun chance to reject him.

 

Naeun kissed him back.

 

***

 

“Thank you for your purchase, Merry Christmas!” Bomi bowed to the customer who just bought last minute Christmas cake. There were always people like that, and the bakery took the chance, providing as many cakes as they could by opening the bakery longer. While sacrificing young, innocent sheep to work at Christmas’ eve, Eunji, Bomi’s co-worker said. You mean young, innocent, single sheep, Sunggyu the boss would correct her with a sly smirk, knowing exactly he pushed the right button when Eunji scowled at him.

 

“I want to date too!” Eunji shouted, resting her forehead on the window and looking out longingly. There were a lot of couples on the street, holding hands and giggling to each other like there’s only the two of them in the whole world. She looked behind her shoulder when Bomi didn’t response, the girl was busy counting their income. “Yah Yoon Bomi, why are you choosing today to work?”

 

“Hm?” Bomi hummed distractedly. The workers that worked on Christmas’ eve were all single, including Eunji.

 

“Don’t you have a boyfriend?” Eunji asked again, planting her forehead back to the mirror. “The tanned, cool looking guy that sometimes picked you up after work.”

 

“… Jongin? No, he’s just a friend.”

 

“Tsk, what a pity. Make him more than a friend, then.”

 

Bomi didn’t reply, still checking the money on the cashier with their notes. Even the sound of the bell’s chime that indicated a new customer – along with Eunji’s loud “Welcome!” – didn’t make her look up. But then, while the customer looked around for the cakes in the display shelves, Eunji came to her and whispered, “Bomi! Your Yoo Minkyu! Look, his hair!”

 

Hearing ‘Yoo Minkyu’, Bomi looked up immediately. A figure with long limbs carrying a big guitar case on one shoulder was bending down in front of the display shelf, wearing black long coat and a red scarf around the neck, with brown, straight hair.

 

“Your hair!” Bomi shrieked without thinking. The customer turned his head and Eunji face-palmed, disappearing into the pantry the very next second to avoid the secondhand embarrassment.

 

“… Yes?” Yoo Minkyu look-alike stared at Bomi with wide eyes, blinking confusedly. Meanwhile, Bomi’s face heated up and she cursed herself inside for her blurt out. “Ah, my hair?” he stood straight, raking his silky hair, “I want to have a fresh image for New Year so I straightened it… But how do you know?”

 

Bomi was sure she’s red to the tip of her ears. After she told Jongin about Yoo Minkyu look-alike, he came to the bakery two more times and Bomi told Eunji about her discovery, that’s why Eunji knew about him. But telling the person about her noticing him would be super weird.

 

“It’s just… since you look like Yoo Minkyu…,” Bomi murmured, staring into her fingers as she played with them, “… The actor that played in Shut Up Flower Boy Band…” She ducked her head lower.

 

“Oh, I know him!” The boy said with an excited expression. “The tall guy with curly hair? My friend told me the same, they said I look exactly like him!” He grinned and Bomi couldn’t help but to look. He looked boyish and impossibly young. And handsome. “Ah, I want to buy this,” as if he just remembered the purpose of his visit to the bakery, Yoo Minkyu look-alike picked two small pizzas and a cheesecake and then he carried them to the cashier.

 

Bomi checked out the cakes, still feeling embarrassed that she actually told the guy he looked like Yoo Minkyu. She put them in a box and handed it to the guy, “Thank you for your purchase. I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude.”

 

“Naah, it’s fine,” he grinned, showing Bomi rows of pearly white teeth. “I think it’s a compliment.”

 

Bomi bowed, didn’t know what else to do, “I’m sorry again. Merry Christmas.”

 

Eunji peeked out after the guy already went out from the store. “He’s gone? Well that was awkward.”

 

“Eunji you traitor, you leave me alone with him!”

 

“I can’t help that your voice is loud—Oops he comes back!” and then Eunji ran to the pantry again, leaving the speechless Bomi. She turned her head and indeed, Yoo Minkyu look-alike was coming back to the bakery.    

 

“Did you leave something? Did I give the wrong change?” Bomi asked worriedly.

 

“No, no no,” Yoo Minkyu look-alike shook his head quickly. “Actually…,” he cleared his throat, fixing his scarf consciously, “… Can I have your number?”

 

Before Bomi could say anything, they heard Eunji’s wail from behind. “Nooo! Don’t un-single her!”

 

The guy chuckled and Bomi bit on her lower lips, planning to push Eunji to the freezing Han River later. “My name’s Park Chanyeol,” Yoo Minkyu look-alike said, offering his hand for Bomi to shake.

 

Bomi took the hand gingerly. “… Yoon Bomi.”

 

***

 

On February, Jongin and Bomi went home for Sehun’s and Soojung’s graduation.

 

Sehun dyed his hair blond for the graduation, much to his parents’ distaste, but Sehun seemed to like it. They had lunch together with Sehun’s family after the ceremony.

 

Jongin was busy texting Naeun when Sehun took his phone. “Eat first,” Sehun said sourly, unhappy about the amount of times Jongin spent with his phone. He’s aware that Jongin had been fixated on his phone since earlier. “Who are you texting anyway? Can’t the person wait? You’re here with me now.”

 

Putting his phone aside, leaving the comment of how clingy and demanding Sehun sounded, Jongin smiled. “You’re right, I’m sorry.”

 

“Let him be, Sehun-ah,” Bomi chirped over a spoonful of beef stew from across the table. “He’s texting his girlfriend,” she informed the youngest with a playful grin directed at Jongin.

 

Jongin shook his head lightly, but then he stopped, noticing Sehun’s weird look at him. “What’s the matter?”

 

“… You have a girlfriend,” slowly, Sehun stated, dragging the words on his lips.

 

“Yes, she’s my friend at the academy,” Jongin realized he hadn’t told Sehun about Naeun. Maybe that’s why Sehun looked stiff, maybe he was mad. “I was about to tell you—”

 

“Forget it,” Sehun cut him, already returning his attention to his bowl. “It doesn’t matter. Let’s just eat.”

 

Sehun didn’t talk to Jongin again for the rest of the meal.

 

***

 

He did, however, came to Jongin’s room the night after with cans of beer in hands.

 

“Celebrate my graduation?” Sehun asked when Jongin opened the door.

 

Jongin stepped back to let him in. “Your birthday is not until April.”

 

Sehun only waved his hand, uncaring about the fact he would be drinking underage. “Two months early, so what. It’s not like I’m going to drink until passed out.”

 

They sat side by side on the floor after that, knees touching, watching a gag show on the TV. Sehun already downed half of his second can while Jongin still took small sips of his first, waiting for Sehun to start telling him the real reason he’s here.

 

If Jongin wasn’t mistaken, Sehun gave the same reaction when Jongin told him Junhee was his girlfriend. He looked shock and couldn’t believe it, almost in a way of How could you do that, like Jongin betrayed him. He wondered if there’s a bro-code he failed to notice, since as far as he knew, Sehun never had a girlfriend through high school – if he didn’t count Soojung as one.

 

“Congratulation for your girlfriend,” Sehun clinked their beer cans out of nowhere.

 

“… Thanks,” Jongin said, frowning slightly.

 

“Is she pretty?”

 

“Do you want to see her?”

 

Sehun shrugged, so Jongin took out his phone and showed him a picture of him and Naeun. Sehun stared at it for a while without giving any comment. “I know she’s not as pretty as Soojung, but—”

 

“What are you talking about?” Sehun side-eye him, “Your girl is pretty, you must be blind to think Soojung is prettier than her,” Sehun drank his beer and Jongin took his phone back.

 

“Thanks,” he said again. The audience in the show was laughing, but Sehun was not, even though he looked like he paid attention to the TV. “What about you? You don’t have any girlfriend? Any girl you like?”

 

“I got rejected,” Sehun told him casually. He tossed his can away and opened the third. “When I went to Seoul before.”

 

“… Oh.” Jongin felt the urge to chug his beer, and he did. There’s a strange yet familiar feeling gnawing at his stomach, and he couldn’t give a name to the feeling, but it’s the same feeling when Sehun told him he kissed Bomi. It’s the same feeling when Bomi talked to him about Kyungsoo. It’s the same feeling when he saw Kyungsoo looked at Bomi.

 

Jongin had been feeling that feeling for years.

 

“I said I’ll go to Seoul if we can be together, but she said no, she only thinks of me as a little brother,” Sehun said placidly as if he just read lines from a text book. “And she’s not thinking of starting a relationship now anyway.”

 

Jongin fixed his eyes to the TV, the female comedian just broke up with her boyfriend in a comical way. His brain connected the dots. “That’s why you’re going to Busan.”

 

“Yeah, cause I’m smart enough to confess before blindly following her around.” Sehun glanced at Jongin from the rim of his beer but Jongin didn’t acknowledge it. “Anyway,” he continued when it’s clear Jongin wouldn’t say anything, “I asked her, is it because of Do Kyungsoo, or is it because of you.”

 

Jongin turned his head. “Me? But Bomi and I are just friends—”

 

“You’re a fool,” Sehun cut him, taking a big gulp of his beer until it’s finished. He grimaced after that, and Jongin still waiting for an explanation. “Funny isn’t it, that’s exactly what she said too. And I said the same thing to her,” Sehun paused, “You’re a fool, both of you.”

 

***

 

Spring came easily, on time and welcomed. Sehun was in Busan now, while Soojung went to the university in the town – the same one with Junhee.

 

Jongin was still seeing Naeun even after they’re no longer dance partners. Donngwoon already graduated, and the couple agreed to eat lunch separately with their own group of friends, only eating together from time to time. They also didn’t have a lot of class together this year, so they met up after school for dinner or Jongin simply walked her home. Sometimes they would hang out with Bomi, Bomi and Naeun cooked dinner while Jongin set the table, feeling glad that the two got along so well.

 

Bomi was getting busier, not only working but at the same time taking the cooking class at her bakery. Said the boss praised her and her bread made it to the display shelves. She’s busy experimenting for a nice cupcake for Cupcake Week, where every worker could put their cupcakes in the display shelves.

 

Based on Bomi’s stories, she and Yoo Minkyu look-alike, Chanyeol, met frequently and things looked good between them. Apparently he’s in a band, performing on clubs while trying to land a contract with a real company.

 

When Bomi told him she’s and Chanyeol was an item now, Jongin was not really surprised. But there’s that feeling again, pooling on the base of his stomach, and Jongin had to live with that feeling for two days.

 

One day after school, Jongin and Naeun went to Bomi’s bakery to pick her up. They’re going to have a dinner with Bomi and Chanyeol on a nearby restaurant; this would be the first time Jongin met him.

 

Bomi was right – Chanyeol was very tall. Jongin couldn’t really see the resemblance of the guy with Yoo Minkyu, though, but he had to admit the guy was handsome. He had a pair of big eyes and pointy ears that peeked out through his hair, along with a wide smile that he sported a lot.

 

He’s a chatty person with boisterous laugh, never let silence engulfed their table. He even talked to the quiet Naeun – always the shy one when meeting new people – asking her questions and showing genuine interest.   

 

All in all, Jongin thought Chanyeol was a good guy.

 

“What do you think of him?” Bomi asked him later that night.

 

“Well…,” Jongin tugged his shoes off, he just came after taking Naeun home. Bomi waited for him at his room, comfortable with sitting cross-leg on his bed. “He’s tall.” Even though Jongin was tall himself and he’s probably only a couple cm shorter than Chanyeol, Chanyeol had these long legs and lean profile that made him looked taller.

 

“Thank you, Captain Obvious,” Bomi snorted. “Seriously, though, what do you think?”

 

Jongin glanced and he could tell Bomi was nervous about his opinion. He turned his back when taking off his sweater, hanging it on the closet. “… He seems nice.”

 

“He is,” Bomi’s grin was obvious from her tone.

 

After Bomi went back to her own room, Jongin dialed Sehun’s number. He’s been calling Jongin since an hour prior – he knew Jongin went to meet Bomi’s new boyfriend.

 

“What took you so long?” was Sehun’s first question when he picked up.

 

“I had to take Naeun home, and then I talked to Bomi,” Jongin answered while lying down on his bed. Faintly he could smell Bomi’s shampoo on his pillow, had she been sleeping there when waiting for him?

 

“So? How does he like?”

 

The image of a smiling, hyperactive Chanyeol popped out in his mind. “… He’s cool, I guess.”

 

“And…?” Sehun asked impatiently.

 

“And… nothing’s bad.”

 

“Okay. But?”

 

“I didn’t say any but.”

 

“Hyung, I know you for more than five years now.” Sehun sounded insulted.  

 

Jongin exhaled. “But…,” he closed his eyes, hesitating in voicing out his opinion. The feeling came back, stronger than before, and it made his throat bone-dry even though Jongin just drank a glass of water earlier. He knew it’s unfair for Chanyeol, and Sehun shouldn’t depend on his words only. Still he said it in the end quietly, “… But I like Kyungsoo Hyung better.”

 

***

 

People always talked about women’s intuition, about how a girl could know her boyfriend was cheating, or about mothers that knew instantly which boy was a match for her daughter, which one was a lost cause. Jongin wondered if this thing he felt for Chanyeol could be called an intuition too, a best friend’s one even though he’s not a girl,  because Chanyeol was nothing but a good boyfriend for Bomi, still Jongin couldn’t bring himself to warm up to the other male.

 

“Well, it’s hard for anyone to be compared with Kyungsoo Hyung,” Sehun had said when Jongin told him his opinion about Chanyeol. “He’s a really great guy. But I’ll chop off your if you ever tell anyone I said that.”

 

Jongin had snickered that time, because Sehun never showed any sign that he respected the senior, yet now he admitted that Kyungsoo was great.

 

He met with Chanyeol a couple more times, often when Chanyeol took Bomi home and ate dinner at her place. He’s always nice, talking to Jongin with the same amount of excitement every time even though Jongin was not the easiest person to talk to. His persistence at talking to Jongin could rival Bomi’s when Jongin first moved to the town.

 

The first oh that somehow made Jongin even wary of the guy happened a couple months later.

 

Jongin was running late, looking for his notebook and turning his room into a wreck in the process. Standing in the middle of his room, Jongin vaguely remembered that he might leave the book on Bomi’s room, so he went there. Bomi wasn’t awake yet – because if she already did, the first thing she did was bugging Jongin – and even though Jongin had the key to her room, he knocked if he could.

 

“Coming…,” a grunt could be hear after Jongin’s several knocks, and he’s stilled on his heels because it’s a man’s voice. A deep one. Chanyeol’s.

 

Before Jongin could move, there’s a rustling sounds, and the next moment the door opened to the inside. A very messy-looking Chanyeol showed up; he had bed hair, obviously just woke up, wearing nothing but a tight sleeveless shirt and a boxer.

 

“Jongin?” Chanyeol squinted his eyes, voice thick with sleep.

 

Jongin knew Bomi came home late last night with Chanyeol. He didn’t know Chanyeol stayed the night.

 

“Uh, hi, Hyung,” Jongin averted his gaze to a safe place, somewhere around Chanyeol’s shoulder blade. “I think… I think I left my notebook here?”

 

“… Where?”

 

“Um… maybe near the TV.”

 

Chanyeol disappeared for a while and returned with Jongin’s notebook. “This one?”

 

“Yeah,” Jongin took the book and quickly put it on his backpack. “Sorry for waking you up.”

 

Chanyeol’s stare lingered on Jongin longer than necessary, but Jongin couldn’t make out the meaning behind the stare. “No big deal.” His usual toothy smile was absent, replaced with a deep scowl, but he just woke up so that probably explained it.

 

Jongin excused himself after that.

 

In the bus, on his way to the academy, Jongin put on his headset and he turned the volume of his ipod to the maximum, trying to drown his feeling, that feeling. It only got worse, until he made a lot of mistakes during his dance practice.

 

It’s like something was clogging his chest, making it full in a way that he hated it.

 

And Jongin was scared, because he had a feeling he knew what it was.

 

It was the same feeling when he saw Naeun with her new dance partner, chest to chest because they’re learning salsa, his arm around Naeun’s slim waist.

 

But why it bothered him if Bomi slept with Chanyeol? He had no right at all to feel upset either, it’s not like he didn’t do the same with Naeun.

 

His mind tried to rationalize the feeling, and Jongin felt calmer when he remembered Sehun’s jealousy when Bomi first went out with Kyungsoo. So that must be it, he’s just jealous because he’s afraid someone was going to take away his best friend.

 

“Jongin?” Naeun touched Jongin’s arm, taking his mind back to the present. “What should we eat for dinner?”

 

Jongin pressed his lips together in an attempt to smile, taking Naeun’s small hand into his grip. “What about chicken?”

 

“But we had chicken yesterday!” Naeun protested, but then she bargained for soy sauce chicken.

 

Jongin smiled and nodded, squeezing Naeun’s hand and saw she smiled sheepishly at the fond gesture.

 

That must be it – just best friend’s jealousy.

 

***

 

The second oh happened when Bomi sulked all day because Chanyeol ignored her for a small misunderstanding. Jongin tried to take her mind away from her boyfriend, but Bomi glanced at her phone every now and then.

 

Chanyeol called her the next day, and Bomi was smiling again.

 

***

 

The third oh was when Jongin found Bomi with puffy eyes, in the morning when they ate breakfast together.

 

“What happened,” Jongin asked quietly.

 

“Just a stupid fight,” Bomi muttered.

 

And it was normal to have a disagreement on a relationship, his own was not all sweet and kisses too. So Jongin dismissed his growing distaste toward Chanyeol and ate his breakfast.

 

***

 

But then it happened again, and again, and again, like a recurring nightmares, a bad cycle of Bomi crying and then smiling only to crying again in the end.

 

He kept seeing Bomi with puffy eyes in the morning, mood glum and exhausted for crying all night. Then Jongin started to find Bomi cried at times. He even heard the fights. Once, Bomi was busy cooking when Chanyeol called. She told him to pick the phone.

 

Chanyeol sounded upset when he heard Jongin’s voice, and then when Jongin handed the phone to Bomi, they started to yell to each other. Chanyeol shouted loud enough for Jongin to hear, Why is he at your place again?!

 

Jongin slipped out from Bomi’s room and didn’t return.

 

***

 

The last straw was when Jongin waited for Bomi to come home from work. Bomi was feeling down lately because of her endless fights with Chanyeol, and Jongin had bought dinner and dessert, hoping it would cheer her up. Jongin was just putting the ice cream on the freezer on Bomi’s room when the front door opened.

 

“I told you we’re just friends! How many times I have to tell you—!” Bomi sounded upset and on the verge of yelling. Jongin was not used to that kind of tone from his best friend.

 

Bomi came in with Chanyeol behind her, and the two stopped in their tracks when they saw Jongin.

 

“I... bought dinner,” Jongin said awkwardly.

 

Chanyeol glared at Jongin for a second before he turned to Bomi, scoffing. “He even has your key?” he was shouting and Jongin balled his fists, restraining himself from pulling Chanyeol’s collar for his action toward Bomi.

 

“It’s just for emergency,” Bomi bit back.


“Is this what you call as just friends? Do you think I’m stupid?”

 

“Just stop it, Chanyeol, I’m tired, okay!”

 

Bomi tried to turn away, but Chanyeol gripped her arm and forced her to look at him. “I see the way you look at him, and the way he looks at you. I have eyes!”

 

Jongin could only stand there, his knuckles going white as Chanyeol keep on shouting at Bomi. He knew he shouldn’t meddle in, but Jongin was ready to jump in anytime soon.

 

“What are you talking about?! You’re talking nonsense!” Bomi yanked her hand away, returning Chanyeol’s glare at her.

 

“What? Nonsense? Go ask his girlfriend! I’m sure she also feels the same!” Chanyeol raked his hair in frustration. “I won’t be surprised if you two are ing behind us!”  

 

The sound of palm slapping the skin was loud, happening even before Jongin could haul Chanyeol. Bomi was fuming, tears threatening to fall down from her eyes. “Get out,” she wiped the tears harshly, refusing to cry in front of Chanyeol. “I said, GET OUT!”

 

Chanyeol gritted his teeth, not minding his stinging cheek. For a second there’s a pained expression on his face, almost like regret, and he opened his mouth, only to close it again when Jongin stepped up to stood between him and Bomi. The pride won, and Chanyeol jutted out his chin.

 

“Fine then,” he spat, “I’m not that desperate to stay with someone who doesn't care about me.”

 

He slammed the door behind him, and as soon as Chanyeol left, Bomi broke down, sobbing hard out of anger and sorrow.

 

Jongin pulled her into his arms without a word, just hugging her tight and Bomi’s back in hope to soothe her. “I’m sorry…,” he whispered softly, kissing the top of Bomi’s head when her cry subsided.

 

He stayed with Bomi through the night.

 

***

 

They never spoke of that day, or Chanyeol’s words, to be exact.

 

Jongin would never admit that he’s secretly relieved Bomi broke up with Chanyeol, simply because his guts didn’t like Chanyeol.

 

It was clear for Jongin that he was the reason behind their fights, and he couldn’t bring himself to ask. He didn’t dare asking the meaning behind Chanyeol’s words, because he’s scared of what he might hear as the answer even though he’s not sure which one he’s more afraid to hear; if they were indeed just friends, or if Chanyeol was right – they were not.

 

It took a while for Bomi to recover, but she seemed determined to forget Chanyeol, and soon she was the bubbly girl Jongin knew again. It was different from when she broke up with Kyungsoo.

 

“You should at least punch that dickhead in the face!” Sehun yelled through the phone when Jongin told him about Bomi’s break up. “Why they fought anyway?”

 

Jongin hesitated for a second. He did tell Sehun that Bomi had been crying a lot, but back then he didn’t know why, and now he knew.

 

“I think… I think Chanyeol was jealous of me.”

 

He expected Sehun to snorted and said something alongside of Chanyeol’s a moron, but the line was quiet except for a simple, “Oh.”

 

“… What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

“Nothing. The guy’s an and I’ll kick him in the nuts if I ever meet him, but I guess I know how he felt.”

 

Jongin was taken aback when the meaning behind Sehun’s words dawned to him. “But—”

 

“You and Bomi are just friends, I know, and you have Naeun, fantastic, good for you,” Sehun said with a bored tone, cutting Jongin off. “I’m going to skype with Noona, so talk to you later, Hyung. Bye.”

 

***

 

Later, Jongin would find himself wondering whether he regretted it or not, being the one who advised Bomi to join the cooking club.

 

Because if Bomi didn’t join the cooking club, maybe she wouldn’t meet Kyungsoo and dated him.

 

Because if Bomi didn’t join the cooking club, maybe she wouldn’t fall in love with baking and ended moving to Seoul with Jongin.

 

Because if Bomi didn’t join the cooking club, maybe she wouldn’t work in that bakery, meeting Chanyeol and dated him.

 

Because if Bomi didn’t join the cooking club, maybe…

 

***

 

It was particularly cold that day as the city slipped away to Winter.

 

Bomi rearranged the cakes in display shelf while Eunji behind the cashier sang along to the new song from an idol group. Sungyeol who mop the floor joined her as the backing vocal, but the two quickly shut up when a customer entered the bakery.

 

From her peripheral vision, Bomi made out a small build with gray blazer.

 

“Welcome!” Eunji and Sungyeol chorused.

 

The customer seemed to ask something to Sungyeol, because the next thing Bomi heard was Sungyeol’s cheery reply, “Yes, of course we have them! It’s in the corner. Bomi, the customer wants to see the cupcakes!”

 

“Ah, yes, right here, Mr.—”

 

Bomi turned around, and the rest of her words died down when she saw the customer.

 

His hair was longer, no longer the short, neat hairstyle he had in high school, and it was reddish, too. But the rest was the same, two years did nothing to his features, he looked like he hadn’t age even a day from the last time Bomi saw him.

 

His eyes widened, recognizing Bomi. “Bomi-ah?”

 

Bomi blinked, dumbfounded. “Soo Oppa…”

 

***

 

Because if Bomi didn’t join the cooking club, maybe Bomi wouldn’t meet Do Kyungsoo again.

 


 

140706 Ah… Chanyeol only showed up for one chapter… Is it too rushed? I wrote and edited this non-stop so expect typo and grammatical errors, my head’s full now. Thank you for reading.