Chapter 6

Polaris

 


 

There were nights when Jongin slept at Bomi’s place, and they even bought a mattress that they kept on Bomi’s room for those nights. Those nights were the nights when Bomi missed her parents, her friends, their town; Sehun.

 

On those nights, Sehun’s questions wandered through Jongin’s mind.

 

***

 

“Bomi?” Jongin shook his best friend’s body gently and waited for a reaction. “Hey, wake up.”

 

“… Ung? Jongin?” Bomi rubbed her eyes sleepily and Jongin brushed strands of hair away from her face. “… What… time?” she mumbled.

 

“Early. But I need you to come with me,” Jongin urged, and he helped Bomi to get up. He already prepared her clothes and Bomi changed into them in the bathroom, still half-awake, while Jongin packed her things.

 

Without asking any question Bomi let Jongin lead her, out of their apartment, taking bus and even changing lines, resting her head on Jongin’s shoulder and slept when she could. But then finally she opened her eyes, getting enough sleep, and she stretched her arms out, yawning. Jongin covered for her.

 

Bomi blinked, taking in her surroundings. “… Why are we in a train? Where are we going?” she had no recollection at all about how they ended on the train.

 

“We’re going home,” Jongin said, a small smile graced his face.

 

“What?” Bomi turned her head so fast at him, eyes wide in shock. “B-but… why?”

 

“I see that you’re not fully awake yet,” he knocked Bomi’s head lightly. “Yesterday you’re so excited, now you forget?”

 

Realization hit Bomi and she yelled, “… MY BIRTHDAY!” Some other passengers looked at their way and both teens bowed their heads to apologize for the ruckus that Bomi made. “Yah!” Bomi hit Jongin’s arm. “We’re going home for real? But you didn’t say anything before! You only said we would eat dinner on a restaurant… Wait, my work!” Her elated expression changed into a worried one when Bomi remembered that she had to go to work that day.  “… And I don’t bring anything! How long are we staying?!”

 

“It’s okay, I called your boss and explained it to him. We’ll be back tomorrow, and I already pack what you may need,” Jongin assured her. “And if I tell you before, it won’t be called a surprise anymore.”

 

Bomi looked at him with admiration. “You’re the best, best friend ever, Seoul Boy.”

 

“Until when you will let her do that?”

 

Jongin’s smile faltered a little.

 

***

 

Sehun and Soojung already on the train station when they arrived, Sehun bouncing on his heels and looking anxious. He must be missing Bomi so much, because he yelled, “Noona!” when Bomi climbed down and he ran to her, pulling her into his embrace and lifted her up. He probably missed Jongin too, because after Jongin showed up behind Bomi with their bags, Sehun also yelled, “Hyung!” and hugged him.

 

“Oh, it seems that Soojung taught you well?” Bomi ruffled Sehun’s hair. “You call us with honorifics now? Or is it because you miss us?”

 

Sehun snorted. “It’s just because today is your birthday, come on, you have to see the huge cake Auntie makes for you,” he tugged Bomi’s arm, and of course he talked about Jongin’s mother instead of Bomi’s mother.

 

During the day the four of them walked around, Jongin and Bomi visited some of their friends that stayed in the town while Sehun and Soojung came along. Jongin noticed that even though they still bickered a lot, something about the way they stood beside each other, the way Sehun walked on the outer side and pulled Soojung’s arm when they crossed the road, the way Soojung gave Sehun a drink before he even asked, all of those made Jongin wondered – but he kept it to himself. 

 

Soojung didn’t join Bomi’s dinner party at her house, and Sehun took her home albeit reluctantly, needing Bomi’s nag before he complied.

 

After dinner the trio spent some times at Bomi’s room, and Jongin excused himself when it’s already late. To his surprise, Sehun followed him.

 

“Hyung, I’ll sleep at your place tonight, okay?” it’s more like an affirmation than a question, still Jongin nodded, but not without asking.

 

“You don’t want to sleep here with Bomi? We’re going back early tomorrow.” Bomi had her work and Jongin had summer classes too, he already skipped classes today.

 

There’s a lazy smirk mixture with bitterness on Sehun’s face. “I don’t think she trusts me enough now to do that.”

 

Later when they already lay on bed, room was still bright with the summer’s sun’s light, Sehun’s voice was clear against the silence.

 

“Do you still sleep together?”

 

Jongin was quiet, and that was his answer.

 

“She still lets you? Huh… I guess Bomi really trusts you, Kim Jongin. There’s only the two of you now.” After a while, Sehun turned his back on Jongin. “Night, Hyung.”

 

“… Good night, Sehun.”

 

***

 

Bomi was regretful that they had to leave soon, and she clung to her mother until the last minute. Sehun and Soojung, again, took them to the station, and then Bomi hugged Soojung like a koala. It looked like she’s the younger between the two when Soojung patted her head to comfort her.

 

Sehun kicked Soojung’s shin and told her to let Bomi go.

 

Soojung kicked back and told him to mind his own business.

 

“Visit us after your test,” Bomi said to both Sehun and Soojung. “The view from my apartment is not that great but if you have perfect eyesight you can see Han River, far, far away. And then we all can go to Lotte World together!”

 

This time, Bomi looked glum when they went back to Seoul. She kept on staring outside the window, propping her chin with her hand. 

 

Jongin touched her knee to take her attention. “Bomi, are you okay?”

 

“Hm? Well, yeah…” He still stared at her, concerned, and realizing it, Bomi quickly smiled. “I’m fine, really! And thank you for the surprise,” she grinned, “It’s the best birthday ever! Thank you, Jongin.”

 

Jongin patted Bomi’s head. “Anytime, Bomi.”

 

“Oh, I will cook you anything you want as soon as we arrived!” Bomi promised.

 

“Anything’s fine, you know I’ll eat anything you cook.”

 

“Ppfft, it’s because you can’t cook! Seoul Boy, what would you do without me?” Bomi asked playfully, nudging him.    

 

“Better, probably,” he joked and Bomi rolled her eyes.

 

Bomi’s mood brightened after, she hummed to a new summer song and they ate the kimbap Jongin’s mother made. When Bomi told him about what she felt yesterday, waking up in a train and having no memory how she got there, Jongin remembered Sehun’s talk.

 

“… Why do you trust me so much?” because Jongin woke her up out of nowhere and told her to come with him, and without a question she followed. Because, just like what Sehun said, she still let Jongin.

 

Bomi turned to look at him, staring right into Jongin’s eyes.

 

There’s a small smile and a soft stare that accompanied Bomi’s next words, “… Because you never give me a reason to do otherwise, Jongin.”

 

And Jongin let her too.

 

***

 

“Son Naeun and Kim Jongin,” Donghae, the teacher, said, and Jongin’s eyebrows rose. He glanced to the side and his eyes met Naeun’s, who smiled slightly to acknowledge him. Jongin returned the gesture.

 

After the class, for the first time since the school year started, Jongin waited for Naeun.

 

She was indeed Dongwoon’s cousin, the one he talked about. Dongwoon introduced the two during lunch and often they ate lunch together with Dongwoon’s friends, but even then, even if they took a lot of classes together, Jongin never talked to Naeun before. She always ate quietly beside her cousin, Jongin only heard her voice when she answered Dongwoon’s questions.

 

“Hello,” Jongin greeted her. Naeun nodded and together they walked to the canteen to meet up with Dongwoon and his friends.

 

“Woaa, look at this!” Dongwoon was already there on their usual table, “I forgot you two are classmates. It’s good seeing you being friends.”

 

“We’re appointed to be dance partners,” Jongin explained, taking the empty seat next to Dongwoon.

 

“Aaah…,” the senior nodded in understanding. Then suddenly, he had a mischievous grin and he leaned onto Jongin’s side so Naeun wouldn’t hear what he’s going to say, “Jongin-ah, a lot of my friends ended up dating their dance partner! I trust you with our Naeunnie~”

 

“Hyung,” Jongin pushed Dongwoon’s shoulder lightly.

 

“Hey, I’m serious! You’re going to spend so much times together, not to mention the amount of skinship you’ll have during your dance routine. I also dated my dance partner for a short time,” Dongwoon said, still grinning. Both of them glanced to Naeun across the table.

 

“What is it?” Naeun asked. “What are you talking about?”

 

“Nothing,” Dongwoon answered playfully, “It’s a secret.” But then he winked at Jongin.

 

Naeun could only furrow her eyebrows.

 

***

 

Son Naeun was a hard-worker, a perfectionist. And it’s perfect, because when it came to dancing, that’s exactly what Kim Jongin was.

 

They had to memorize a dance routine, the same one with the rest of the class, and then they had to make choreography for another song. That’s why they’ve been spending times after school hours, booking a practice room for them, and stayed there until night time.

 

On those days Bomi always put extra sandwiches or breads or anything really on Jongin’s bag, even as small as a vitamin or ginseng or lemon candy.

 

Today she packed him tuna sandwiches and a bottle of energy drink, which Jongin drank while leaning back to the mirror wall behind him. He’s drenched in his own sweat, exhausted after dancing for two hours. He glanced at Naeun, sitting a little bit afar from him, drinking her mineral water without a word.

 

They never chatted much, and if they did, it’s always about their assignment.

 

Naeun might look gentle and fragile, even, on the outside, but she’s one though woman. Jongin knew he could be difficult at times and he’s not being the nicest dance partner, bluntly pointing out Naeun’s mistakes and asked her to practice more. But Naeun never complained, never replied his remarks coldly, she only nodded and then after some times she asked Jongin’s opinion about her moves. And she improved.

 

But they already received their first feedback, and even though Donghae said the moves were flawless, it didn’t give any appeal at all. They were just dancing, and it wouldn’t move people’s heart, it wouldn’t attract them. People would say it’s great, but they would forget about it minutes later.

 

Both of them didn’t know what were they lacking, and Donghae wouldn’t tell them either. It frustrated the two, and Jongin could feel things had been a little tense between them.

 

Jongin looked at his sandwiches, and he remembered Naeun rarely brought snacks or ate anything during their practices.

 

“Do you want some?” Jongin offered Bomi’s sandwiches to the girl, pushing the food container to her direction.

 

Naeun looked surprised at first, but then she smiled, murmuring a small ‘Thank you’, taking one sandwich and bit into it.

 

Jongin inspected her expression carefully.

 

“… This is delicious,” Naeun said after she swallowed. Jongin smiled, feeling oddly satisfied that Bomi’s food got compliment. Noticing his reaction, Naeun asked, “Do you make it yourself?” 

 

“Ah, no,” Jongin chuckled, waving his hand, “I’d rather starve than to eat my own cook. My friend made it, she always cooks for me.”

 

“Your girlfriend?”

 

Jongin shook his head. “Best friend.”

 

“But she always cooks for you?” Naeun widened her eyes, confused.

 

“Her room is just across mine,” Jongin explained. “I originally from Seoul but I moved to the town at 14, she’s my neighbour there. Since she also wants to go to Seoul, I move back here together with her.”

 

“Ah…,” Naeun nodded. “She’s studying here?”

 

 “Working at a bakery. She always likes to bake since high school, and at her bakery she can learn to be a pastry chef too.”

 

“That’s nice… To have your best friend at your side.”

 

“... It is.”

 

They finished the rest of the food and then practiced more for an hour. Usually they parted in front of the academy, Jongin would walk to the bus station and Naeun walked to the opposite direction. Tonight, however, when Jongin stared at Naeun’s back as she walked further away, he felt like doing something else.

 

“Naeun,” he called, jogging to her side as the girl stopped. “I don’t think there’s a bus station over there?”

 

“I don’t take the bus,” Naeun answered, eyes clearly questioning why Jongin talked to her instead of waiting for his own bus. “Since my apartment is nearby, I always walk.”

 

“You don’t live with Dongwoon Hyung?”

 

She shook her head.

 

Jongin shoved his hands into his jean’s pocket. “… Can I walk you home?”

 

Naeun stared at him for a while, obviously not expecting Jongin to ask her that question. But then she nodded, biting her lips. Jongin caught a small smile there before she looked away.

 

***

 

It was Sunday when Sehun showed up in front of Bomi’s doorstep out of nowhere.

 

“Sehun?” Bomi’s small shriek and the name she mentioned was enough to take Jongin’s attention, and he got up from his spot on Bomi’s living room – having been working on his homework there for the whole morning, dashing onto the hallway.

 

“Noona,” Sehun said, and when Jongin entered his vision, he added, “Hyung.” He sounded rather reluctant, as if he already expected to see Jongin at Bomi’s place, but at the same time still wishing he wouldn’t. Or maybe Jongin just looked into it too much.

 

“What are you doing here…? Is this why you asked me yesterday whether I work or not on Sunday?” Bomi quickly ushered Sehun in, tugging on his arm.

 

“Well,” Sehun raked his hair, it’s already long enough that the tips reached his eyes.

 

“You’re alone?” Jongin asked.

 

“Yeah.” He looked distracted, and he turned to Bomi, “I need to talk to you. … Alone.”

 

Bomi was frowning when she looked at Jongin and Jongin gathered his books immediately. “We’ll have lunch together?” Sehun only nodded absent-mindedly at his question, and even then he still didn’t look at Jongin.

 

When Jongin returned to his own room, he sat on his bed, thinking about Sehun and his sudden appearance. In the end, he decided to call Soojung.

 

He had to wait for three rings before the girl picked up.

 

“… Um, Oppa,” Soojung’s voice was small. This was the first time Jongin called her and she didn’t seem surprise at all, she probably already knew why.

 

“Soojung. How are you doing?”

 

“Sehun is there, isn’t he?” Soojung asked back, shooting down Jongin’s attempt for small talk.

 

“... Yes.”

 

Soojung heaved a sigh from the other line. “So he really goes to Unnie… Aish, that fool.”

 

“Is there something happened between you two?”

 

“It’s not like that. It’s just, tomorrow, we’re supposed to hand in our form.”

 

“What form—The future plan form?”

 

“Yes, that one.”

 

Jongin recalled the night Sehun slept at his place on Bomi’s birthday. “He said he wants to continue play soccer even in college.”

 

“Yes…”

 

“And then what’s the problem?”

 

Soojung was silent for a while. “The problem is… where.”

 

***

 

Jongin stared blankly at his carpet. Soojung told him that Sehun was talented enough to get noticed and scouted by a well-known coach from Busan. And according to his coach in high school, it was a great opportunity. The only hesitation Sehun had was, obviously, Bomi.

 

Jongin tried not to think about what Sehun would do, alone in the room with Bomi.

 

He didn’t know how much time had passed until he heard sounds from across his room. Jongin got out, finding Bomi and Sehun stood in front of Bomi’s room. Sehun’s face was unreadable as always and Bomi’s face didn’t give away either about what just happened between them. However, Jongin knew her enough to realize she’s feeling uncomfortable.

 

“But you just arrived,” Bomi held onto Sehun, and with a subtle motion Sehun brushed her off. It didn’t go unnoticed by Jongin.

 

“I have school tomorrow.”

 

“You’re leaving?” Jongin was surprised.

 

“Yeah,” Sehun said to him, “… I already got what I wanted.”

 

“At least stay for lunch,” Bomi pleaded, looking desperate now.

 

“I’ll buy something on my way.” Sehun didn’t look at her but to Jongin instead. “Hyung, accompany me to the station?”

 

Jongin caught Bomi’s upset expression out of the corner of his eyes. He hesitated at first but Sehun stared at him firmly, so he nodded, “Sure, let me grab my wallet first.”

 

Bomi wanted to come with them too but Sehun refused, saying that she should rest at home instead. He’s not being very subtle at rejecting her.

 

Sehun didn’t say anything at all on their way to the station, lowering his head and his fringe hang down, covering half of his face. Jongin bought hamburgers and fries and they ate it at the station while waited for Sehun’s train.

 

“I’m going to Busan,” suddenly Sehun said, stop eating his burger half-way.

 

Jongin also stopped eating and he looked at Sehun. “I heard from Soojung. That’s good, …right?”

 

Sehun snorted. “Yeah. That’s good, isn’t it?” he turned his head to Jongin and it didn’t make sense, but the way he look at Jongin made him remembered Kyungsoo. It’s weird. Sehun and Kyungsoo had no resemblance at all.

 

Sehun went back to his burger and he didn’t say anything else until his train arrived.

 

***

 

Jongin would be lying if he said he’s not attracted to Naeun.

 

Dongwoon was right, he’d been spending awfully a lot of times with his dance partner. Even when they’re not practicing, they would discuss about it during the day, and they still ate lunch together with Dongwoon. And something that Jongin already realized since the first time his eyes landed upon Naeun, she was gorgeous.

 

It also didn’t hurt that Jongin liked her personality.

 

He had to admit, there’s something about Naeun that reminded him of Junhee. Maybe the way both of them didn’t talk much, the gentle vibe they gave out. But Naeun was stubborn at defending her opinions and principles, and Jongin liked that about her.

 

He admired her.

 

 

She came from a small town alone, pursuing her dream to be a dancer. True she had her cousin’s family here in Seoul, but even then she chose to live alone so she wouldn’t bother her uncle. Naeun said she’s not gifted with talent, so she had to work harder than everyone else to reach where she was right now. And on top of all her endless practices, she also worked part time at a restaurant as a dish-washer during weekend.

 

He knew all about this from Naeun’s story, on nights when Jongin walked her home.

 

Sometimes they took a detour and stopped at street vendor for a quick snack, and it progressed to dinner. Twice, Jongin ate at Naeun’s apartment.

 

“Do you want to come to my place?” he asked her after school one day, they decided to give themselves a day off that day. “There’s a nice Chinese restaurant near my place, we can eat there or order and eat at my apartment.”

 

Naeun smiled, fixing the strap of her bag on her shoulder. “Take out sounds good.”

 

They took the bus and sat side by side with Naeun on the inner side. Their thighs were pressed to each other on the small seats and Naeun didn’t move away, so Jongin didn’t either. At one point Naeun flipped her hair and Jongin’s nose picked up a sweet fragrance. He rubbed his own neck to calm himself down.

 

The Chinese restaurant was one of his favorite with Bomi, they often ate there or ordered take out when Bomi was exhausted and Jongin prohibited her from cooking. Even the waiters and cashier there already knew them.

 

“Oh? Where’s Bomi?” the cashier asked.


“At work,” Jongin replied, didn’t bother to read the menu because he already knew what he wanted. After Naeun mentioned her order and Jongin followed, he added in the end, “... and also—”

 

“Four cheese spring roll,” the cashier cut in, grinning when Jongin smiled to him. “Haven’t bored with it yet?”

 

“You always order cheese spring roll?” Naeun asked curiously.

 

“It’s not me, it’s Bomi. My best friend that I told you before.”

 

“Ah… The one who always cooks for you.”

 

When Jongin tried to unlock his apartment’s door only to find it not locked, he realized Bomi was inside.

 

“Jongin!” Bomi’s voice could be heard as soon as Jongin opened the door with Naeun trailed behind him. “You won’t believe who I met today at the bakery—” she said excitedly, showing up from inside Jongin’s room. She stopped herself when she saw Jongin was not alone. “Oh. Hello.” She looked at Naeun curiously.  

 

“This is Bomi… Bomi, this is Son Naeun, my dance partner,” Jongin gestured to Naeun behind him, and Naeun bowed politely.

 

“I’m Yoon Bomi!” Bomi introduced herself, bowing to Naeun too.

 

“Son Naeun.”

 

“You don’t tell me you’re already home,” Jongin frowned. “I didn’t buy you dinner, I thought you’d eat at work again.”

 

“The boss changed my shift just now. It’s okay, unlike someone, I actually capable to cook for myself,” Bomi teased.

 

“We can eat together…,” Naeun quickly said, checking the amount of food they bought.

 

“No, no no! I’m fine, just enjoy yourself,” she grinned widely, throwing a knowing look at Jongin when Naeun wasn’t looking. “As long as you buy me—” Jongin handed her the plastic bag that contained the cheese spring roll and Bomi beamed. “Seoul Boy, you’re the best! Alright, I’ll go now, nice to meet you Naeun! See you around!”

 

“She’s so lively,” Naeun commented after Bomi left. They placed the food on Jongin’s plates and carried them to the living room. “… She has the key to your room?”

 

The question was simple and innocent enough, still Jongin didn’t look at Naeun when he answered, “Yes, we have each other’s key… Just in case.”

 

They dropped the topic after that, opting to chat about other things.

 

***

 

When Jongin returned after taking Naeun home, he went straight to Bomi’s place.

 

“Jongin, she’s so pretty!” was the first thing Bomi said to him. “You never said that your dance partner is a girl! And a beautiful one too! Are you going out with her?”

 

“No, I’m not,” Jongin looked away.

 

“Ooooh but you’re thinking about it!” Bomi said excitedly, nudging Jongin and poking his cheek.

 

Jongin didn’t answer. “Before, you said you met someone?” he asked instead.

 

Bomi blinked a couple times, obviously already forgot what she’s going to tell Jongin in the first place when she waited for him on his room. “… AH! That’s right! I met Yoo Minkyu!”

 

It took a moment for Jongin to remember the name. “… The actor?!”

 

She giggled. “Well, actually, not the real Yoo Minkyu, but it’s crazy, he looks like a copy of him! He’s also tall, taller than you and Sehun, and he has a deep voice, just like Minkyu, and his eyes are also big! Oh, but the best part is…”

 

Jongin raised his eyebrows, slightly amused by Bomi’s excitement.

 

“… He also has a bird nest as his hairstyle!”

 

“Seriously?”

 

Bomi nodded frantically. “I’m not kidding, I think it’s even curlier than Hajin’s hair, I almost asked him if I can touch it.”

 

“Did you see this guy on the street?”

 

“No, he’s a customer,” Bomi answered. “He really looks like Yoo Minkyu, ah I should have asked for his picture so I can show you.” She slightly pouted, mumbling to herself, “... I wonder if he’ll come to the bakery again…”

 

 


 

140630 I’m sooooorrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy. Writer’s block (to all my stories!) + real life is the worst combination. I’ve been thinking about it, and decided that nope, Sehun wouldn’t be joining Jongin & Bomi in Seoul. Thank you for reading!

Anyway, remember Bomi and Jongin watched Shut Up Flower Boy Band and Bomi’s a fan of Yoo Minkyu in chapter 4? For you guys that doesn’t watch the drama (please watch it, it’s super awesome and one of my fav kdrama), this is Yoo Minkyu as Kim Hajin (Kim Hajin is the name of his character, that’s why Bomi said Hajin instead of Minkyu in the end):

 

Looks familiar isn't he...? He's actually more handsome than this, haha.