Chapter 3

Polaris

 


 

They were late that morning, taking the last train to school as the result, and as soon as there’s an empty seats, Sehun rushed to it, reserving the seat next to him for his older friend. “It’s for Bomi,” he said to Jongin, and Jongin raised his eyebrows. He didn’t even think otherwise.

 

As soon as they settled, Sehun yawned and leaned onto Bomi’s shoulder, closing his eyes and trying to catch some nap before they reached the school. Bomi didn’t pay much attention to him, just patting his head mindlessly, still talking with Jongin who stood in front of her as always.

 

Suddenly, a girl pushed herself to the empty spot next to Jongin, standing in front of Sehun.

 

“Yah,” the girl was beautiful, tall, lean, and had a milky skin. She kicked Sehun’s shin to wake him up. “Yah, wake up.”

 

Jongin and Bomi exchanged curious look. By the look of her uniform, she went to the same school as them.

 

Sehun opened his eyes, annoyed – he’s still grumpy because he’s sleepy, and now there’s a stranger kicking his shin and forcing him to wake up. “What?” he yelled at the unwelcomed distraction. “What do you want? Who the hell are you?” he added when Sehun realized he didn’t even know the girl.

 

Instead of answering Sehun’s question, she said, “Give your seat to me, I’m tired of standing.”

 

“What?” Sehun asked, couldn’t believe his ears.

 

“Are you deaf or what? I said give your seat to me, I’m tired of standing!” the girl said again. “Be a gentleman like this guy to his girlfriend,” she pointed at Jongin with her thumb.

 

Jongin was taken aback. “I’m not—”

 

“They’re not a couple!” Sehun barked first before Jongin could finish his sentence. And for a reason Jongin couldn’t understand, Sehun glared at him, as if he’s blaming him.

 

The girl rolled her eyes. “Whatever, aren’t you tired of being a third wheel? Just move already, I want to sit.”

 

Sehun scoffed. “How is that my problem? Go find your own seat.”

 

“You’re letting a lady like me standing here all the way to K?”

 

“What did you say? Lady? Lady, my .”

 

“Sehun!” Bomi slapped Sehun’s arm for his language. Sehun pouted like a kicked puppy, rubbing the spot where Bomi hit him. She turned to the stranger and smiled brightly, “If you want to sit, you can take my place,” Bomi was already standing up.

 

“Wait!” Sehun cried out. He held Bomi’s arm to make her sit back. “Aish, fine, fine! Take my seat, you woman! Are you happy now?!” Sehun stood up and shoved the girl to his seat. Jongin glanced at him with an amused smile when he stood beside Jongin grumpily.

 

“See? That’s not so hard, right?” the girl tilted her head, smiling, and Sehun looked like he wanted to strangle her.

 

Jongin ruffled Sehun’s hair and Bomi sent her smile to him.  

 

The girl turned to Bomi. “Hello, my name’s Jung Soojung, I’m his classmate.”

 

Sehun raised his head with a deep frown when he heard this piece of information. “We’re in the same class?”

 

Soojung rolled her eyes again, ignoring Sehun’s confusion and bowing politely to Jongin and Bomi instead, “Nice to meet you, please take care of me from now on.”

 

“What do you mean from now on?!”

 

***

 

Jongin tried to stifle a yawn but failed miserably and he let his head down, resting on top of his table. He’s waiting alone for Bomi until she’s finished with her cooking club since Sehun went out with his friends to a game center nearby – even though Sehun was a grumpy kid, he actually had better social skill than Jongin.

 

He wanted to make use of the time with working on his homework, he really did, but it’s so quiet inside the empty room and it’s so peaceful and Jongin was sleepy. Soon he closed his eyes, letting the sound of the students chattering excitedly from afar lulled him to sleep.

 

Jongin had a weird dream.

 

Sehun turned into a cat – a very grumpy-looking cat – and Jongin picked him up, saying, “It’s okay, Sehun, I take you in any shape and form,” when suddenly the cat-Sehun turned to him, calling out his name in a very feminine way, … Jongin.

 

“… Jongin?”

 

He felt a gentle touch on his shoulder, shaking his body, before someone called out his name once again. And then Jongin woke up.

 

“Huh?” he raised his head slowly, rubbing his eyes. When he opened them, there’s Junhee in front of his desk. “Junhee?”

 

“Why are you sleeping here?”

 

“Oh…,” Jongin frowned, regaining his consciousness. “I’m waiting… for my friend…,” he wiped his mouth, just in case he had some drool.

 

Junhee chuckled. “You’re fine,” she said, and Jongin murmured in embarrassment.

 

“What are you doing, why aren’t you go home yet?” he asked after he remembered most of his friends already went home – except the ones with extra-curricular.

 

Junhee pulled the chair in front of Jongin to sit. “I had club activities and I was about to go home, but then I remembered I forgot my notes in the drawer,” Junhee showed her book before putting it back to her bag. Jongin nodded and Junhee glanced at him. “Your friend… is it Yoon Bomi from class C?”

 

Jongin looked up. “How do you know?”

 

The girl smiled, shrugging. “I always see you with her. And she’s…,” Junhee stopped a moment, “… Well, she’s well-known. She’s dating a senior?”

 

“Yes, Do Kyungsoo. … Is he popular between the girls?”

 

“Umm… quite a bit, yes,” she answered after thinking for a while, “He’s good looking and he’s kind, from what I heard. Never reluctant to greet the juniors first.”

 

Jongin could only nod in acknowledgement.

 

“Are you working on the math homework from today?” Junhee suddenly asked, looking over the opened book on Jongin’s desk, which he used as a pillow earlier.

 

“Ah, well, I tried, and you know how it ended.”

 

Junhee smiled. “Will it be okay if we’re working on it together? I don’t fully understand the last lesson, and it seems you get it alright,” she said, inspecting Jongin’s work.

 

“Which part you don’t understand?”

 

It became a habit, after that, for Junhee to come back to class after her club activities ended, and they would work on the homework together or sometimes just chatted over things.

 

Jongin absent-mindedly thought that it’s the thing he used to do with Bomi, back in middle school.

 

***

 

“Be nice, okay?”

 

Sehun let out an uncommitted grunt and Jongin sighed. The boy was impossible.

 

Today, they would go out with Bomi and Kyungsoo. They always heard about Kyungsoo from Bomi –at least Jongin did – and of course they saw him before, but today would be the first time they met Kyungsoo. Apparently Kyungsoo was the one who wanted to know them.

 

Both boys had their hands on their pockets while waiting for the couple by the school’s entrance. Bomi said the café she tried before served the best cakes and Kyungsoo wanted to take them there.

 

“I’ll only come for the cakes,” Sehun had said, but Jongin knew he’s more curious about Kyungsoo than Jongin. Jongin was the one who showed him which one ‘Bomi’s boyfriend’ was, not too long after Sehun entered high school. At that time Sehun only scoffed, muttering something that suspiciously sounded like, You’re definitely cooler than him.

 

“What are they doing…,” Sehun was already restless, patience wearing thin when he didn’t have much in the beginning.

 

About a minute after they showed up, and Jongin looked at Kyungsoo from up close for the first time. He’s not tall, just average, but he’s actually taller than what Jongin thought before. It’s his narrow shoulders that made him looked smaller.

 

“Oppa, this is Jongin, and this is Sehun,” Bomi introduced them, smiling brightly as usual but Jongin could sense her nervousness when she glanced at Sehun.  

 

“Hello, I’m Do Kyungsoo,” Kyungsoo said, shaking Jongin’s hand with a smile.

 

Sehun was only staring blankly at Kyungsoo’s hand before, but he shook Kyungsoo’s hand in the end after Jongin pinched his back secretly. Kyungsoo was unfazed with Sehun’s rudeness.

 

They walked to the café, and even though Jongin tried to pull Sehun into his side, the younger was persistent to walk beside Bomi, and Kyungsoo didn’t seem to care, he walked beside Jongin instead and talked with him. He asked about Jongin’s mother, who he heard from Bomi baked the most delicious cakes in the whole world.

 

Jongin said Bomi was easily impressed.

 

Kyungsoo said Bomi never said the same thing about the other cakes she tasted – not even Kyungsoo’s.

 

“You can order whatever you want, I’ll pay for you,” Kyungsoo said after they sat in the café, and being a committed brat he was, Sehun ordered the most expensive cake and beverage. Bomi and Jongin apologized for him. Kyungsoo just laughed and said Sehun needed the food to grow up and he didn’t mind.

 

Jongin found it that he could never hate Kyungsoo, not even if he tried, not even if he wanted to. He’s a really nice person, and he’s simply likeable. But the most important thing was, he cared about Bomi. Jongin could tell that easily just by looking at the couple.

 

Bomi talked for them, as always, and Kyungsoo was looking at her all the time when she’s talking with a soft smile tugging at his lips. And then there were these small things – letting Bomi tasting his cake and his drink, listening to her stories, giving her tissue to wipe and hands after she’s finished, asking her if she wanted more, tucking her hair behind her ear without really looking like he already did it countless times.

 

And it’s a little bit weird and awkward seeing Bomi being whiny like a little kid toward Kyungsoo, but it’s not a bad thing. Not at all.

 

Sehun was mostly quiet, it’s nothing new, but it’s different this time – Jongin knew, Bomi knew. That’s why Bomi tried hard to make the boy talked, but Sehun only answered the questions with one word answer.

 

When Kyungsoo went to the bathroom, Bomi quickly turned to Sehun.

 

“Sehun-ah, are you mad? You can mad at me but please don’t be mad at Kyungsoo Oppa?”

 

Sehun stirred his drink silently before answering. “I’m not mad.”

 

“… But you’re so quiet…,” Bomi said, helpless.

 

Suddenly Sehun pushed his chair back and stood up. “Tell him I said thanks. Go home without me, I’m going out with my friends. Bye.”

 

“Sehun? Sehun-ah!” Bomi tried to call but Sehun didn’t look back, exiting the café with long strides. She turned back to Jongin, looking even more helpless. “He’s really mad at me, isn’t he?”

 

“No, he’s not,” Jongin assured her, because Jongin thought he knew why Sehun’s acting like that.

 

He kind of felt the same.

 

“Then why—”

 

“Hm? Where’s Sehun?” Kyungsoo chose to come back at that time, sitting back with eyebrows raised.

 

“Sehun just remembered he has something to do. He said thank you for treating him, and he’s sorry that he couldn’t wait for you to come back, he’s in a hurry,” Jongin said, glancing at Bomi to tell her to stop making a sad face.

 

“Ah, I see…,” Kyungsoo nodded.

 

“Kyungsoo Sunbae?”

 

“Just call me Hyung if you want, Jongin.”

 

“Um, Hyung, can I ask you to take Bomi home? I also have something to do…”

 

Bomi looked at Jongin, surprised, because she didn’t know anything at all about this.

 

“Of course, I originally planned to take the train with you guys after all,” Kyungsoo said.

 

“Then, I’ll be going first. Thank you so much, Hyung. Bomi, I’ll see you later,” he smiled and bowed to Kyungsoo, and Bomi still had her sad face on when she waved. Jongin almost reached out to pat her head, but realizing Kyungsoo was there, he didn’t.

 

Outside, Jongin texted Sehun, and the other replied not too long after.

 

Jongin walked back to the school, finding Sehun at the soccer field, just sitting on the grass with a blank expression. To people’s eyes, it might be Sehun’s usual stoic face, but Jongin already knew Sehun for almost three years and saw him almost every day.

 

He sat beside him.

 

For a while they only sat there, looking at nothing.

 

“Jongin,” finally Sehun spoke. “… What is love?”   

 

“I don’t know,” Jongin replied honestly. He never thought about it and he never felt attracted to any girl before.

 

“… That’s love, isn’t it?” Sehun asked again.

 

Jongin thought about the way Kyungsoo looked at Bomi.

 

“… Perhaps.”

 

***

 

In middle school there’s no Do Kyungsoo.

 

There’s also no Jung Soojung.

 

Sehun finally joined the soccer club, and based on his rant, apparently Soojung joined too as the manager. Somehow, Soojung was a part of their daily routine, joining the three in the train after two stations, always asking for Sehun’s seat when it’s crowded. Now Sehun already stood up before Soojung even opened , even though he did it with a glare directed at the girl.

 

Jongin had a fleeting thought that he heard Sehun talked about Soojung more than he heard Sehun talked about anything else. Not because Sehun liked the girl, it’s the opposite, he hated the girl.

 

“She’s like a ing pest, no matter what I do I can’t get rid of her,” Sehun said one day and Jongin already gave up trying to tell him to mind his language. “I wish he’s a guy so I can punch her in her god-damn face.”

 

Basically, what Soojung did was only following Sehun around and annoyed the hell out of the boy. And it’s quite entertaining to see them, because Soojung was always so polite to Jongin and Bomi, but she turned into a total to Sehun.

 

No matter how rude Sehun was to her, Soojung just returned the attitude.

 

Still Sehun was the only one who got extra chocolate bar from the soccer club’s manager after the practices ended.

 

***

 

Since Jongin and his mother moved to the town, Jongin’s father only came during family holidays, so it surprised him when his father came that weekend. And he came with two big suitcases. It’s not too hard to figure out things.

 

Jongin knew his father tried very hard, but he couldn’t get a decent job as good as before, and he must be struggled a lot living alone without anyone to take care of him. So Jongin didn’t blame him, not at all, if his father decided to join his family in the town. The problem was, Jongin always thought he would finish his high school, and then he would return to Seoul and lived with his father, he could get a part time job and attended the dance academy he always dreamed of.

 

Years and Jongin still didn’t give up on his dream.

 

Sure he could live alone in Seoul, but then what about his parents? Would they let him? What if they wanted him to go to university?

 

The second night, his father talked to him.

 

“I heard from your mother that you’re still dancing,” his father said with a warm smile, and Jongin didn’t know where the conversation would go.

 

“Yes, Father,” so he only nodded.

 

His father looked down into his lap. “… I’m sorry, Jongin-ah. You love dancing so much. If only we’re still staying in Seoul, you can still have your dance lessons.”

 

“… No, it’s alright, Father. It’s not your fault.”

 

His father heaved a sigh and suddenly he looked so much older than what Jongin remembered. “What are you going to do after you graduated?” his father asked.

 

“I…,” he hesitated.

 

“Whatever you want to do…,” his father cut him, “I will try to support it. We don’t have that much money, but your grandfather manages to get me a job here, and I know I already let you down too many times before.”

 

Jongin was quiet.

 

“But I want you to remember, whatever you will do, it will be your decision. Don’t regret it.”

 

He lay in his bed after, thinking about his father’s words. He should be glad because he could do what he wanted, but Jongin felt restless instead. There’s too much things in his head, and he walked to the porch outside his room, about to call Bomi, but there’s a knock on his door.

 

“Hey, Seoul Boy!” Bomi’s smile greeted him when he opened the door. Jongin opened the door wider and Bomi let herself in. “Look! I make your favorite pudding for you,” she said, showing the container in her hands. “Let’s eat!”

 

Bomi sat in the carpet, like she did the first time when she’s in Jongin’s room, like she did every time she’s in Jongin’s room, and Jongin stared. She opened the container and gave a fork to Jongin.

 

Jongin took the fork and he already ate two pieces of pudding before he looked at Bomi. “… How?”

 

 She smiled faintly. “I saw your father came with suitcases yesterday.”

 

“… Just that?”

 

Bomi shrugged, looking up to grin at Jongin. 

 

***

 

They’re definitely too old for sleep over and their houses were next to each other anyway, so sleep over was kind of pointless, but still Bomi stayed that night. When preparing the blankets for himself to slept on the floor, Jongin thought Sehun would probably kill him if he knew they’re having a sleep over without him.

 

It’s a little bit ridiculous how Bomi’s parents trusted him – and Sehun, because the first sleep over was actually their idea. They had a big test in the morning after and Bomi was having a break down because she didn’t understand a thing and she was so sure she would fail and Jongin was trying to teach her and calmed her down when Bomi’s mother said, “Jongin-ah, why don’t you sleep here tonight?”

 

“Eh?”

 

“It’s already late, and Bomi will be happy if you’re around. Sehun also like to sleep here sometimes,” Jongin turned to Bomi and she was nodding frantically, trying to convince Jongin to sleep there with hopeful eyes. “I’ll talk to your mother, I’m sure she doesn’t mind.”   

 

She didn’t mind.

 

It became a habit after, another unspoken agreement between them. Whenever Jongin felt depressed because he missed dancing, whenever Bomi was afraid of failing a test, the night before their exam’s results were out, the night before the announcement of K’s acceptance – whenever they needed to be not alone. 

 

But of course they let the door slightly open now.

 

Jongin turned off the light and stumbled around to his blanket with the help of the streak of light coming through the gap in the door from outside.

 

“Good night, Seoul Boy,” Bomi said softly from Jongin’s bed.

 

“Good night,” Jongin replied from the floor.

 

Jongin closed his eyes but he couldn’t sleep. He started to practice his dance movements in his head, counting the beat but then he remembered his father and his mother and everything’s a mess.

 

It probably 15 minutes later when Bomi said quietly, “Jongin, what are you thinking about?”

 

He opened his eyes, didn’t question out loud how Bomi knew he’s not sleeping already. Jongin felt a hand fell on his chest, palpating around in the dark. He caught it to stop it from moving around.

 

“Where’s your head?” Bomi asked, and Jongin place her hand on his head. She started to his hair.

 

“… Bomi?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“What are you going to do after we graduated?”

 

Bomi’s hand stopped a moment but then she continued. “I don’t know yet. Soo Oppa said I should start thinking about it…”  

 

“What is he going to do?”

 

“Soo Oppa? He’s going to university… A great one.”

 

Jongin was pretty sure there’s no ‘great’ university around the area. He didn’t ask more. Bomi didn’t explain.

 

“What about you?” instead, she asked.

 

“… I… want to go back to Seoul. There’s this dance academy I always want to go to.”

 

“But?”

 

You.

 

“… What if I fail? Maybe I’m not as good as I think I am. Then I’ll just waste time… and money.”

 

Jongin heard Bomi’s soft chuckle after. “Jongin… You only feel like that because you don’t see what other people see when you dance.”

 

“I don’t understand.”

 

The touches on his head grew softer. “I told you before, didn’t I? You, dancing… is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. I mean it. You should trust your biggest fan.”

 

Jongin swallowed the lump on his throat, but his chest still felt heavy and full of feelings. He remembered the first time he told Bomi about his hobby and her reaction.

 

Slowly, he closed his eyes. “… Thank you, Bomi,” he said, thankful that it’s dark and she couldn’t see his face or his expression.

 

She hummed before replied, “Anytime, Jongin.”

 

His consciousness drifted away along with Bomi’s on his hair, and Jongin had a brief thought whether Bomi ever told Kyungsoo that sometimes she slept at Jongin’s house.

 

***

 

In middle school there’s no Do Kyungsoo, there’s no Jung Soojung.

 

And there’s no Choi Junhee.

 

Beside Bomi – and Soojung, occasionally – Junhee was the only girl Jongin talked to regularly. From their working-on-homework-together, they chatted during the days, and then sometimes they texted each other, and soon Jongin found himself on the phone with the girl during the nights.

 

Junhee was different from both Bomi and Soojung. Junhee was sweet and gentle. Jongin secretly thought that Junhee was the girl that they would call as ‘Yamato Nedeshiko’ – a Japanese term used to describe a pure, feminine beauty.

 

She had a smooth skin and Jongin wondered if the skin would feel like Bomi’s, but it seemed smoother, much like a baby’s. In fact, sometimes she smelled like baby’s powder too. Jongin liked that. She also had round, squishy cheeks, and Jongin wanted to pinch them. She’s just so small and Jongin wanted to protect her.

 

Junhee also didn’t talk much. And that made Jongin talked. He would tell stories and Junhee would laugh, covering and eyes nothing but a mere slit. Jongin liked that too.

 

It was just natural for him to invite Junhee to his dance competition.

 

“You want me to come?” Junhee asked with wide eyes.

 

“I—Well, if you want to,” Jongin shrugged, rubbing the nape of his neck. “It’s nothing big, and I will dance in a group, not solo, but—Yeah, if you want, I’d like you to come…”

 

“I will!” Junhee quickly said, eyes twinkling. “Ah, I should write down the date so I won’t forget…,” she quickly typed in the date of Jongin’s dance competition in her phone. “But I don’t think I’ll need a reminder,” Junhee added shyly.

 

Jongin really, really like that.

 

***

 

They snatched the third place and Jongin felt a little bit upset about that, but his group was the second team from K and the first place went to the first team, so he felt slightly better. Taemin was elated, it’s their first win after all, and he jumped around in his place, arms slung around Jongin’s neck while his mouth shouting cheers.

 

Jongin’s eyes darted around while trying to keep Taemin on his place with his hands on the other boy’s hips.

 

“Seoul Boy!”

 

Jongin turned around at the same time Taemin let him go, and he hadn’t had time to think before Bomi replaced Taemin’s arms on his neck with her own arms. “Congratulation!” Bomi yelled, hugging him.

 

Kyungsoo stood behind Bomi, meeting Jongin’s eyes, and he smiled.

 

Jongin felt awkward.  

 

“Yeah, congratulation,” Sehun said in a flat, boring tone, but he didn’t miss the chance and hug both Bomi and Jongin. “Eeww you’re sweaty!” he quickly stepped back, wiping his hands on his jeans.

 

Jongin laughed as the group hug ended. “Honestly, what do you expect?”

 

“Congratulation, Jongin,” Kyungsoo handed him a bouquet of flower. The card said it’s from the three of them.

 

“Thanks for coming, Hyung,” Jongin said, accepting the flower.

 

“You were fantastic!” Bomi yelled again. “When you did this—” She tried to copy one of Jongin’s movements and Jongin ended up chuckling, unsure about which move Bomi tried to imitate.

 

Sehun scrunched up his nose, shaking his head, telling Bomi to stop. “Don’t even try, Noona.” Somehow, Sehun never forget to use honorifics with Jongin and Bomi when they’re outside.

 

As Bomi pouted and Kyungsoo patted her head, Jongin looked around once more. He was glad when he found what he’s looking for.

 

“You came,” Jongin grinned to the approaching Junhee, still feeling high with all the excitement.

 

“This is for you,” Junhee handed him a bouquet of flower too. “Congratulation… You did a great job. And of course I came, I already promised you.”

 

“Oh?” their moment broke when Bomi peeked from behind Jongin. “You’re Choi Junhee, right? Ah, you’re in the same class as Jongin!”

 

“Umm, hello…,” Junhee quickly bowed. “I’m Choi Junhee.”

 

“Yoon Bomi! And this is Oh Sehun, we’re Jongin’s best friends,” Bomi chirped happily. “Oh and this is Do Kyungsoo, our senior!”

 

Junhee bowed again to Sehun, who bowed back, and to Kyungsoo, who nodded and smiled to her.

 

“So why she’s here?” Sehun asked bluntly, turning to Jongin. Junhee ducked her head, flushing red, and Bomi smacked Sehun’s arm for his rude question but Sehun only said, “What?” They knew Jongin didn’t really have friends other than them or Taemin or several acquaintances from the dancing club.

 

“Well, she’s…,” Jongin glanced at Junhee. He cleared his throat, “… She’s my girlfriend.” Junhee looked up to him in a snap and Jongin gingerly linked their fingers together, waiting for her rejection. But it never happen, instead Junhee just squeezed lightly and smiled bashfully, looking down to the ground.

 

“… What?” Bomi said, blinking her eyes. “… Oh my God why you never tell me you have a girlfriend!” she squealed excitedly after some times. “Congratulation! Junhee-yah, thank you so much for accepting our Jongin, please take care of him, I know he doesn’t show his feelings much but I promise he’ll be good to you. Aaah I’m so happy!”

 

Junhee just nodded her head at whatever Bomi told her, cheeks still as red as tomato.

 

Jongin grinned, feeling impossibly happy with his winning, Junhee, and then Junhee with Bomi. He looked at Sehun, and realized just now that the boy was quiet. “Sehun?”

 

“I need to look for the ,” Sehun suddenly said out of the blue. “I ditched her earlier. I doubt it she knows the way home. See you later.”

 

“What?” Jongin was confused. “Wait, Sehun—Sehun!”

 

***

 

“You , I’m looking for you everywhere!” Soojung walked to Sehun and purposely stepped on his foot before she sat beside him, ignoring Sehun’s glare.

 

“Your own fault. No one told you to follow me,” Sehun said, looking away from the girl. After fleeing from Jongin, he walked outside the building and found a deserted bench on the parking lot.

 

“And I don’t find Jongin Oppa either, I haven’t congratulate him,” Soojung clucked.

 

At the mention of Jongin’s name, Sehun looked down to his shoes and he kicked the rocks scattered around on the ground. He wasn’t aware that Soojung was staring at him.   

 

All of a sudden, Soojung grabbed his head and pulled him, forcing Sehun to lay his head on her lap.

 

“What the hell?!” Sehun shouted at the action.

 

“Shut up, I’m being kind here, so talk.”

 

“What the are you talking about?”

 

Soojung flicked her fingers on Sehun’s ear and Sehun yelped in pain. “I said shut up. Why I always need to repeat my words to you? You really need to check your hearing.”

 

“Crazy woman,” Sehun muttered, shifting to find a comfortable position.   

 

“Comfy? Great. Now talk.”

 

Sehun scowled.

 

“On three, or I’ll flick your ear again. One, two,—”

 

“Alright, alright! I’ll talk!” Sehun shouted and Soojung smiled smugly. The boy grumbled before finally he talked, “… You know Bomi has a boyfriend?”

 

“The senior with the bug eyes,” Soojung said. “He’s cute.”

 

“I don’t ask for your opinion,” Sehun scoffed.

 

“What about them? Get over you sister-complex already, Oh Sehun.” Soojung pinched Sehun’s cheek and he slapped her hand.

 

“I don’t have a sister-complex.”

 

Soojung snorted.

 

“… Jongin just told us that he has a girlfriend,” Sehun said abruptly, didn’t really sure or understand why he told Soojung these things.

 

“Ah,” but Soojung nodded, as if she understood why.  

 

They fell into a silence after.

 

“… I thought they’re a couple...,” Soojung said, “… the first time I saw you guys. They’re a couple and you’re the stubborn third wheel who doesn’t want to get left out.”

 

Sehun frowned hearing this and he turned his head slightly to bit Soojung’s thigh.

 

“YAH!” Soojung screamed and she punched his arm hard, but Sehun rested his head back comfortably on Soojung’s lap.

 

Soojung huffed. In the end she decided to let it go. “But then I found out that they’re not a couple, and until now, I still wonder why they’re not together.”

 

Sehun didn’t reply immediately, just staring at the blue sky.

 

His next words came out as a whisper.

 

“… I always wonder the same thing too.”

 


 

26/04 Yeaay for a fairly quick (I hope) update and slightly longer than usual too (though maybe you don’t notice it). Do you mind if this fic gets longer?

Anyway, some of you thought that Sehun loves Bomi, well actually, he doesn’t. I know it may looks like he is. I’ll try to explain it by the end of this fic (one day… someday…). I really hope you enjoy this, and I hope you’ll tell me if you (or if you don’t, or if you’re confused or disappointed or anything).

I’ll stop here. Thank you so much for reading. Happy weekend.