Chapter 5

Polaris

 


 

Of course Jongin’s parents weren’t surprised with Jongin’s decision, but with Bomi part sure did. And it took more discussions on Bomi’s side – Bomi with her parents, between her parents, her parents with Jongin’s parents, and once with Jongin, too – but in the end Bomi’s parents gave their permission for their only daughter to go to Seoul.

 

With his connections, Jongin’s father helped them with the apartments, so that it would be ready by the time Jongin and Bomi moved.

 

Before, Jongin thought it’s a little bit ridiculous how much Bomi’s parents trusted him, but letting your daughter slept in the same room with her childhood friend was definitely not the same with letting her go to a big city with him. Jongin had his fair share of words from Bomi’s father, and he felt the weight of responsibility on his shoulders.

 

He promised he’d take care of Bomi there.

 

But hadn’t he always?

 

***

 

Jongin had been thinking about it since the first time his father told him he could do anything he wanted with his future, ever since Jongin had his approval if he wanted to go back to Seoul. Then Bomi broke up with Kyungsoo, and he thought about it more. Because he’s going down the same path with Kyungsoo, he would leave the town, and if Bomi broke it off with Kyungsoo, so maybe Junhee…

 

Junhee was all quiet when Jongin told her he’s going to Seoul, that day after school, on Junhee’s empty classroom.

 

He looked at his girlfriend, at her long eyelashes, down to her button nose, to her pink lips. Jongin knew he didn’t tell her he loved her enough.

 

Some time passed, and there’s still no reaction from Junhee. “… Junhee?” Jongin called her hesitantly.

 

Junhee just exhaled, and that made Jongin even more worried. “… I guess I’ve always known you’ll leave,” she finally said, and she looked so sad. Jongin took her hand, playing with her fingers.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jongin whispered. 

 

“Don’t be,” Junhee squeezed his hand. “You’re chasing your dream. And it’s great.”

 

Jongin looked down into their intertwined fingers and he thought, why not add another selfish deed, he already did plenty. “Junhe… Do you want to… try?” he glanced up to meet Junhee’s brown orbs. Junhee was planning to attend a university in the area.

 

“Jongin-ah,” Junhee was smiling, “I think both of us know the answer to that.”

 

She kissed him after, but when Jongin leaned in to deepen the kiss, Junhee pulled back. She shook her head, and her eyes were glassy. “… Good bye, Kim Jongin.”

 

When Jongin was left alone in the room, he buried his face into his palms, thinking about the choices he made and the consequences, wondering if this was how Kyungsoo felt, and understanding why Bomi didn’t tell him about her break up.

 

Because the reality would felt more real if he said it out loud.

 

Jongin remembered Kyungsoo’s broken expression on his graduation when he held Bomi, and Jongin wondered if he looked the same now when he rubbed his eyes harshly.

 

***

 

He knew, this time, no amount of video games could make Sehun happier – Sehun was right, he’s not a kid anymore, even though sometimes he did act like one – so Jongin just went to the younger’s house with empty hands. He went there on Friday night, so if Sehun punched him until it bruise, he had two days before he had to go out with black eye or something.

 

It had been icy cold between them after Bomi told Sehun she would go to Seoul with Jongin. Sehun even woke up earlier so that he didn’t need to take the same train with Jongin and Bomi, and he stopped eating lunch with them too – and since Jongin didn’t eat lunch with Junhee anymore, it short of quiet with just Bomi and Taemin.

 

And it got even weirder, because Bomi didn’t complain at all, didn’t mope around like the last time when Sehun was mad at her. She let Sehun avoided them. Maybe Jongin’s suspicion about what happened on Bomi’s room was right. 

 

Jongin knocked on Sehun’s door – there’s a big poster of Manchester United in it – and after he heard, “Come in!” from the inside, he opened the door.

 

Sehun was lying on his stomach on the bed, reading something. Jongin was surprised when Sehun saw him coming and remained indifferent, not scowling or saying anything, just returned to his reading silently. Jongin had prepared himself for an angry, shouting Sehun, but the quiet, ignoring-him Sehun was different. So he sat on the chair, waiting for the other boy to said something first. 

 

After a while with no words exchanged, Sehun finally scoffed and sat up on his bed. “What, you come here just to stare at me creepily like that?”

 

“Hey, I’m not staring creepily,” Jongin said defensively.

 

Sehun rolled his eyes. “You prefer I said you’re staring at me lovingly?”

 

Jongin chuckled hearing this. He wasn’t sure about Sehun’s feelings right now, but it seemed like he wouldn’t go home with a black eye or cut lips or a broken nose.

 

The corner of Sehun’s mouth turned up a little when he saw Jongin’s laugh.

 

“… I’m not avoiding you,” he said suddenly, running his fingers between his locks of hair. Jongin stopped laughing, waiting for him to continue talking. “I was—Well, I did something to Bomi, and she’s probably angry and don’t want to see my face, so,” Sehun shrugged.

 

“Okay.”

 

“You’re not going to ask me what I did to her?”

 

“… You’re going to tell me anyway,” Jongin replied quietly.

 

“Hm.” A pause, and then Sehun spoke again, “I kissed her.”

 

So Jongin was right after all. “… I know.” He didn’t want to think about it. “… I was outside Bomi’s room when I heard your argument with her.”

 

“… And you’re not mad at me?” Sehun looked at him, didn’t believe or understand how Jongin could be so calm about the fact.

 

“On Bomi’s behalf, maybe. But for myself…,” Jongin looked down into Sehun’s bed, avoiding his eyes, “… you have more rights to be mad at me.

 

Sehun raised his eyebrows. “Huh, that’s true.” He lay back onto his bed, using his crossed arms under his head as a pillow. As if he just remembered that Jongin overheard his argument with Bomi meant he heard everything Sehun said, he murmured, “Sorry for cursing you.”

 

“It’s fine… Wait. Did you just say sorry?”

 

“Shut up.”

 

Jongin was still grinning when he shoved Sehun aside, forcing him to make some space for Jongin to lie down beside him in Sehun’s small bed.

 

“I used to hate you. Still do, I guess, sometimes.” Jongin didn’t respond, waiting for Sehun to continue. “You came, and then suddenly it’s all about you. But even if you look cold on the outside, you’re so ing kind, it doesn’t make any sense. You don’t say enough but you act it out. It’s irritating.” Sehun huffed and Jongin smiled a little. “Look, I know I’m a pain in the , I know I cling on Bomi too much, and I do want her to stay here, but… But if that’s what she wants, then…,” Sehun stopped, swallowing. Jongin glanced at him, wondering if the boy’s going to cry. “… Then it’s okay. … But Jongin,” Sehun turned his head to look at Jongin, and he looked sad but determined, “How do I know if it’s what she really wants, if there’s you in the picture? Until when you will let her do that?”

 

Those were not questions that Jongin could answer, and even if Sehun didn’t touch him, Jongin still felt like he was punched in the gut.

 

***

 

Everything happened so fast; Jongin felt it was just yesterday that he had his first dance competition and suddenly he’s on his last, snatching the first place this time with Taemin. And at one moment he was busy choosing apartments, the next one his nose was buried in his textbooks, studying for the exam. There were applications that he filled, and the next thing he knew, his graduation was coming closer.

 

Bomi was laughing happily, glad that the exams were finally over – she’s been stressing over it so much. They all went out to eat and celebrate it, their little group, minus Junhee of course. Bomi and Sehun were already on the talking term again, Bomi acted nothing’s wrong ever happened between them. 

 

On the graduation day he took a picture with Junhee – her friends threw him dirty looks and Jongin didn’t blame them, but Junhee just smiled and wished him good luck for his life in Seoul. Sehun and Soojung came, of course, and when Bomi took a picture with Sehun, linking their arms together, Jongin had an unwanted image of his two best friends kissing.

 

He erased the thoughts and joined them, taking more pictures for memories.

 

No one talked about how a week from now, Jongin and Bomi would leave their town.

 

***

 

Soojung peeked at Sehun who stood beside her. “… Don’t cry,” she said. She thought of yelling and punching him like she always did, but Sehun’s expression was even more stoic that usual, and Soojung had no heart to . Not today.

 

“… I won’t,” Sehun replied quietly, eyes still fixed on Bomi and Jongin who were busy loading the last of their luggage to the train.

 

Today was the day Jongin and Bomi moved to Seoul, most of their stuff were already packed and sent days before, and now Sehun and Soojung went to the station to say goodbye, along with Jongin’s and Bomi’s parents.

 

Jongin and Bomi walked back to their parents, hugging them and nodding to the words their parents said. And then finally it’s time for them to say goodbye to Sehun.

 

“I’d kill you if something happen to Bomi,” Sehun said as he hugged Jongin.

 

“I promise I won’t let anything happen. Don’t forget to study, eat well, take care of your health,” Jongin patted Sehun’s head after they let go. “And be good to Soojung.”

 

“Stop it,” Sehun slapped Jongin’s hand away half-heartedly. “I’m not a kid, you’re only three months older than me,” he muttered.

 

Jongin smiled. “I know.”

 

As Sehun took Bomi slightly away from them, Jongin walked to Soojung. “So, I heard that you like our Sehun.”

 

“Complete nonsense,” Soojung retorted, didn’t look flustered or taken aback at all. “No one in their right mind will like Oh Sehun.”

 

“Are you in your right mind?”

 

The girl just snorted.

 

“Take care of him for us, okay?” Jongin said, standing beside Soojung and throw his gaze to Bomi and Sehun. Bomi was slightly tiptoeing so she could hug Sehun’s neck – the boy was growing taller rapidly through the last few years – and Sehun bent his back awkwardly, hugging Bomi’s waist with his face buried on her shoulder. They watched while Bomi rubbed Sehun’s back.

 

“What a big baby,” Soojung commented at the sight.

 

Jongin was about to reply when Sehun pulled himself back from Bomi and kissed the top of her head.

 

He heard Soojung’s sharp intake before she turned to him, “Oppa, I expect you to do something about that in Seoul,” she said with an accusing tone.

 

Jongin frowned, didn’t really understand what Soojung meant. “They’re just friends—”

 

“And let’s keep it that way,” Soojung cut him.

 

Bomi said her goodbye with Soojung, and judging from her mischievous smile and Soojung’s vigorous head shake, Jongin guessed Bomi said something about Sehun to her.

 

Finally it’s time to leave, but before Jongin could board the train, Sehun pulled him back by the elbow.

 

“H-Hyung,” Sehun called, surprising both Jongin and Bomi. “You—” Sehun hesitated, and for a split second Jongin remembered his encounter with Kyungsoo after they watched Sehun’s soccer match. Sehun looked exactly like Kyungsoo, like he had something to say. “—Nothing,” Sehun said, changing his mind. “Just, take care of Bomi.”

 

“I will,” Jongin nodded, still staring at Sehun confusedly. “Don’t worry, I promise you before, right?”

 

“… Right,” Sehun stepped back, avoiding Jongin’s stare and let the two board the train.

 

Soojung came to Sehun’s side once again, and Sehun turned his backward snapback, pulling it down to cover his eyes.

 

“… You said you won’t cry,” Soojung said quietly.

 

Sehun sniffed. “Well, yeah. I lied.”

 

***

 

“You’re not crying,” Jongin pointed out after checking Bomi’s face. They were already seated side by side, and Bomi was looking out the window, seeing the scenery flashed by.

 

“Why, you expect me to?”

 

“I cried when I left Seoul,” Jongin leaned back, remembering the day he moved away from the city he grew up at.

 

“Jongin, you’re like, 14? You’re 14 at that time, it’s normal to cry,” Bomi chuckled. “And I bet you don’t want to leave Seoul. This time it’s different. I want to go to Seoul. I’m just nervous. Or maybe… Maybe it just hasn’t hit me that I’m leaving and not coming back? I don’t know.”

 

Bomi hummed a song, looking out happily again. Jongin watched her. “… We can go back,” he said softly, and Bomi turned her head to him.

 

“What?”

 

“We can go back,” Jongin repeated. “If you don’t like it there at Seoul. We can go back anytime you want.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Bomi laughed, ruffling Jongin’s hair. “Nice try, Seoul Boy, but you have an academy to attend, and we’re not going anywhere.”

 

She’s smiling and she looked happy, and Jongin could only wish that this was what she really wanted.

 

***

 

Ever since Jongin left, he hadn’t come to Seoul, not even once, because it’s always his father who came to visit them in the town. Now, almost five years later, things changed, but at the same time it’s still the same.

 

He lead Bomi to their apartment, the girl never stopped looking around, turning her head here and there, but didn’t say anything, only taking everything in view silently. Their apartment was on the fifth floor, Jongin’s room number 14 and Bomi was across him, number 13. It was one room apartment, with a small kitchen in the hallway and a bathroom, then the rest of the room was the bedroom, or the living room, whatever suited.

 

It’s not much, but Bomi ran to her veranda as soon as she’s inside, opening the door and let fresh air in – even though in Seoul, there’s no such thing as fresh air.

 

“… Woaa,” Bomi finally let out a sound, as she looking down to the street. “… Jongin.”

 

“Hm?” Jongin approached her, standing behind Bomi.

 

Bomi turned around, facing him. She was grinning, “Call me Seoul Girl from now on.”

 

***

 

They spent the rest of the evening unpacking their suitcases and getting knew the things around the apartment. They found a convenience store nearby and bought some food, and there’s also a park too which they stopped by at and ate the cookies Bomi bought.

 

They called Sehun from there, telling him that they already arrived safely and Bomi chatted with him. It seemed that Sehun only listened, since Bomi kept going with her stories. After a while she hung up, but she promised to call again tomorrow.

 

“You and Sehun…,” Jongin started, but stopping himself when Bomi looked at him curiously. “No. Nevermind.”

 

For dinner, they ate the food Jongin’s mother packed for them. 

 

Jongin slept at Bomi’s place that night.

 

***

 

The following week, Jongin took Bomi for a tour around Seoul, making sure she remembered the ways from their apartment to Jongin’s academy or Bomi’s bakery. He took her to Han River at night, to Namsan Tower, and Jongin even took her to his old house and his old school.

 

It’s just like when Jongin moved to the town and Bomi blabbered, telling him all the things about their neighborhood, but this time Jongin was the one who talked and Bomi was the one who listened. Although, in Jongin’s opinion, Bomi was a better listener since she showed eagerness, asking questions from time to time to Jongin.

 

And finally, it’s Monday, Jongin’s first day at the academy, and Bomi’s first day at the bakery. Jongin had to go earlier and that meant Bomi had to go alone to the bakery and Jongin was fussing about it.

 

“I’m really sorry I can’t take you to your work, are you sure you already memorized the bus you need to take?”

 

“Yes, you write it down on my phone for me, remember?” Bomi replied calmly, packing lunch for Jongin on the boy’s apartment. Jongin still couldn’t cook anything to save his life. Except ramen. He’s not that to screw up ramen.

 

“If you lost, just call me, okay? Anytime,” Jongin momentarily forgot that he needed to bring his bag with him until Bomi shoved it to his chest.

 

“Jongin-ah, I’ll be fine! Seriously, do you think I’m a little girl? I already put your lunch inside. My phone has GPS, in case you forget that too.”

 

Jongin looked down and took his bag from Bomi. “Oh, thanks. But Bomi—”

 

“Have a nice day, Son!” Bomi pushed Jongin out of his room. “I’ll lock for you, bye bye!”

 

 And before Jongin could say anything more, Bomi already closed the door behind him. Jongin huffed, still unmoving from his place, staring at the door and having an internal debate on what he should do.

 

“I still can see you out there, Kim Jongin!” Bomi yelled from behind the door and Jongin couldn’t help but to chuckle.

 

“Fine. I’ll go first, Bomi. Text me!”

 

“And make some friends!”  

 

***

 

Luckily for Jongin, he didn’t have to make friends, because he met one.

 

“Kim Jongin?”

 

Jongin was walking down the hall, looking for his first class, when someone called out his name. He turned around, facing a stranger that looked familiar – tall, big build, looking like a foreigner.

 

“… Dongwoon Hyung?” he called hesitantly.

 

“It is you!” the guy laughed, taking big steps to Jongin and engulfed him in a bone-crushing hug. “Holy mother of god! Kim Jongin! You’re so tall now! What-I thought you-You’re studying here?”

 

Jongin grinned, nodding. Son Dongwoon was an old friend of his, they used to go to the same dance academy after school. “I moved back to Seoul.”

 

“Wah, I almost didn’t recognize you without your long hair,” Dongwoon joked around, touching Jongin’s short hair. “It’s good to see you again! We have to catch up, ah , we need to go to class now. I’ll see you later at lunch?”

 

“Sounds good.” It’s nice to had a familiar face around.

 

“Okay then!” Dongwoon was almost leaving but he remembered something. “Ah, what class do you take?” Jongin showed him his schedule. “Oh, you’re in the same class as my cousin. I’ll introduce you two later.”

 

“Alright.”

 

Jongin found his class not too long after, and he seated himself in the middle. It’s a small class, only around twenty students inside. He tried looking for a guy that resembled Dongwoon but found none.

 

Their teacher came, a young man with the sweetest smile, not too tall, but sturdy. He introduced himself as Lee Donghae, and soon started taking attendance.

 

Jongin raised his hand when his name being called.

 

“… Son Naeun.” Donghae called out and Jongin looked around curiously. Since it’s the same name with Dongwoon, maybe it’s the cousin he talked about. The girl that sat two rows in front of Jongin raised her hand. She sat diagonally from Jongin, so he could see her side profile.

 

She’s gorgeous, even though looking nothing like Dongwoon. She had milky white skin with dark, long hair that contrast beautifully against her skin, with tall nose and small lips. She only wore a simple white shirt with dark jeans and flat shoes, nothing special, but for some reasons she still looked stunning. And judging from the curious stares she got from the boys in the class, Jongin was not the only one who noticed.

 

Naeun seemed uncomfortable with the stares and she looked down to her desk, squirming in her seat. Her hair fell perfectly to the front, blocking her side view from Jongin.

 

And then, suddenly, Naeun turned her head to the side, locking eyes with Jongin.

 

Jongin looked away instantly, startled. He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, hoping that Naeun didn’t think weird of him, especially if it’s true she’s Dongwoon’s cousin and they’d be introduced to each other later.  

 

***

 

Jongin was already outside Bomi’s bakery, waiting for her, when the girl walked out.

 

“Hey, Seoul Boy!” Bomi said cheerily as soon as she saw him. “Did you wait long?” Jongin shook his head. “How’s the academy? Please tell me you make friends!”

 

Always making sure Jongin had friends, Bomi was.

 

“I do… kind of,” Jongin admitted. They walked side by side to the bus station. “I met a senior, we used to go to the same dance academy together when I’m in middle school. And he introduced me to his friends.”

 

“That’s so nice of him! But what about your friends? Your classmates?” Bomi asked while busy fumbling around her bag. She took out a small paper bag from inside and offered a muffin to Jongin. “You’re hungry? I’m allowed to take this home. It’s really good.”

 

Jongin split the muffin into two pieces and gave the bigger one to Bomi. “He has a cousin that’s in my class. This is good. You make this?” he asked after having a bite of the muffin.

 

“Of course not! I’m still helping in the front with the cashier, and washing the dishes… But next week the cooking class will start and my boss said they’ll see from there, if I’m good, they’ll teach me more and maybe I can sell my own bread,” Bomi told him, looking a little bit anxious but also thrilled with the idea. She noticed Jongin’s soft stare at her and frowned. “What is it? There’s something on face?”

 

“No, I’m just glad,” Jongin smiled and looked away.

 

“Glad? About what?”

 

“Do you love baking?”

 

“I think I do.”

 

“So there, you have it. Something that you love, and you’re great at it.”

 

Bomi’s eyes slightly widened, remembering their conversation back, almost three years ago. “I guess you’re right…,” she mumbled. And then she looked up to Jongin. “And it’s all thanks to you, Seoul Boy!”

 

Jongin shook his head. “It should be me who thank you.”

 

“Huh, why?” Bomi tilted her head.

 

There were many reasons why, and Jongin couldn’t just mention one. So he didn’t. “Just… Thank you, Bomi.”

 

For staying with him, for making things easier. For everything.

 

Bomi nudged his shoulder lightly, a small smile on her lips. “Anytime, Jongin.”

 

***

 

They ate dinner at Bomi’s place that night, and after that Jongin washed the dishes while Bomi folded their laundry. When Jongin was done he joined Bomi, and he glanced at her, checking her mood. She seemed fine, half distracted by the variety show on the TV and stopped folding the clothes.

 

“Bomi?”

 

“Hm? Yes?” she turned her head to Jongin.

 

“Do you…,” Jongin wasn’t really sure how to bring the topic out. “… Do you keep contact with Kyungsoo Hyung?”

 

“I don’t,” Bomi replied, folding Jongin’s shirt and put it on the pile of Jongin’s clothes. “I don’t hear about him at all since graduation.”

 

“He doesn’t call you?” Jongin frowned.

 

“I don’t want him to. … It’s easier that way,” she continued calmly. “Why do you suddenly ask?” When Jongin was quiet, Bomi asked again, “Do you miss Junhee?”

 

“I don’t—Well, sometimes,” he admitted reluctantly. “But I don’t want to call her… I think it’s better for her if I don’t.”

 

Bomi nodded but didn’t comment on it.

 

“You don’t want to meet Kyungsoo Hyung again? I mean, we’re in Seoul now, so…,” Jongin hesitated.

 

“Seriously Jongin, what is it? Why the sudden talk?”

 

“It’s just, you never talk about him again since that night and I don’t know how you feel about him,” Jongin finally said, a little bit flustered with his own whiny tone.

 

“Aahh… I’m fine, if that’s what you want to ask,” Bomi grinned, patting Jongin’s head as if he’s a little kid. “And no, I don’t want to meet him again. I’m sure he’s doing fine too.”

 

Jongin let go of the topic after that, deciding to believe on Bomi’s words.

 


 

140518 Sorry if it’s a little bit messy and rushed, I just need to update since I will be away from laptop for the next three days. Also, I think the ‘feeling’ of this story is a little bit different? Or not? (Anyway I’m a little bit surprised no one mentioned about Bomi/Sehun in the last chapter. So in case it’s not clear, Sehun kissed her.) Thank you for reading.