Chapter 6

Let's Live On

                                                                  

 

“Come on, go get washed up and I’ll show you what I managed to find.” He smiled. “I got that disinfectant anti-sceptic thing you needed.” He told me proudly, making my heart come back to life a bit. I nodded and he helped me up as I exited the tent, nodding awkwardly to June who was still stood there as I passed him. He did the same back and then climbed into the tent after I’d gone. “Don’t tell me there’s still nothing going on.” He said bluntly, tidying away a few of his belongings. “She’s like my sister. For a long time before we found this group, all we had was each other. Attachments naturally form that way.” Jimin stated very matter-of-factly.  June let out a snigger. “Whatever you say, man.” Jimin then left the tent without another word. He jogged down to the riverbank where I was washing my face and took a seat next to me, dunking his own hands in the water and splashing his face. “I’m sorry, you must have been so worried.” He said, guilt clear in his voice. “Kang explained what happened.” I told him. “It’s not your fault. I’m just glad you’re back in one piece.” Jimin chuckled. “Of course! You’re not getting rid of me that easily!” I managed to smile for the first time since he’d left. “I’m glad.” I said, drying my face. “Ayyy” Jimin teased, ruffling my hair. He took the towel I was holding and dried his own face.

 

“Anyway, now we’re stocked up with supplies, we’re making a move tomorrow.” He informed me and I nodded, listening carefully. “So, yeah, get your stuff packed up and ready to move. We’ll be taking the tents down first thing and leaving as soon as it’s light.” “Okay.” I stood up and looked over to the camp. “I better go and help prepare the food for tonight’s meal, then.” He nodded. “Remember to make my serving extra tasty!” he joked, giving me an overly obvious wink. “Of course!” I smiled. “Oh! I saved your portion of food from yesterday. You didn’t eat right? I’ll go get it for you now.” I suddenly remembered, scurrying off and retrieving the plate for him. “It’s cold now obviously but still…you need something in your stomach.” I said, handing him the food as he still sat at the river back. He grinned and mouthed a ‘thank you’ before digging straight in.

 

Everyone woke up early and began taking down their tents, packing them away into all the cars. Jimin and me always went with Kang. I sat in the back with Jimin, silently looking out the window as the scenery passed us. He let out a yawn, catching my attention. “Did you sleep?” I asked him and he gave me a sheepish smile. “Seriously, what am I going to do with you?” I groaned, realizing he’d stayed up all night getting everything ready to leave. I patted my thigh gently. “Lay down and have a nap.” Not needing to be told twice, Jimin grinned and laid down on the seat, his head resting on my lap as a pillow. He patted his head, signalling for me to do the same. I rolled my eyes and gently ran my fingers through his hair, sending him off into a peaceful sleep. He slept like that the whole journey until we came to a stop. Everyone gathered outside the cars and decided that it was best to stop there and make camp for the night. Only a few tents were put up, it wasn’t worth setting up a lot only to take them down in the morning, it was too much work and so many people were going to sleep in the cars. My tent that I shared with 2 other women was set up though. I sat in there and talked with Sunghwa, the one who’s scolded me that night I came back late. She got on everyone’s nerves but there was nothing they could really do about it.

 

“I bet there’ll be some berry bushes around here.” She smiled. “I hope so! Maybe I should go take a look.” I said, looking at the woodland area right by our new temporary camp. “Yes, you should. We’ll be moving on again tomorrow morning so there won’t be a chance to otherwise.” I nodded, taking in what she was saying. You hadn’t tasted berries in so long. The idea of a sweet fruit almost made your mouth water. “Okay, I’ll go and see if I can forage any before dinner.” I told her, grabbing a bag and making my way over to the woods. I awkwardly made me way around the uneven ground, stepping over large branches that had fallen until I finally spotted a berry bush a little deeper into the woods. Grinning, I quickly jogged over there, opening my bag and beginning to pick off the berries, dropping them into the bag. I’d almost cleared the whole bush when I heard a rustling. Looking up, I saw a flesh eater coming towards me. It made me jump but I didn’t panic. It was only one and he was too far away and too slow to catch up. I quickly zipped up my bag and turned to leave but froze after doing so. Another one was coming from the other direction. I sighed before reaching into my back pocket for my gun however my hands met nothing. I panicked, remembering that I’d left it at the camp. This can’t be happening.

 

                                                            

 

Jimin frowned, noticing my gun lying on one of the chairs. “What’s this girl doing, leaving that lying around?” he groaned, picking it up and taking it over to her tent. He called out politely before entering; this was a woman’s tent after all. Sunghwa only greeted him. “Where’s Ju-ah?” he asked. “Isn’t she out eating with everyone else?” She asked, confused. Jimin knew right then that something was wrong. “No, she’s not.” He shot back at her. “She said she was going out to pick some berries and would come back for dinner.” She informed him, sounding relatively uninterested and it made him fume. As much as he wanted to scream at her for being irresponsible for letting her go alone and not even telling anyone, he let it go. There was a much more important task at hand now. Without thinking, he ran into the woods, frantically looking round and listening for the slightest noise that might lead him to me. He was just praying that it wasn’t too late.