Chapter 10

Let's Live On

                                                                  

 

“Ju-ah, get back here.” He said as I walked on ahead of him. He jogged after me and grabbed my wrist but I shook him off. “I’m not going after you this time!” he warned to which I laughed. “Good!” I replied. “I don’t want you near me.” Jimin stiffened at my words. “T-This is your last chance! Come back now!” he called out, but keeping his voice low so not to attract attention from anyone else in the camp. I ignored him though and continued walking, not even looking back. Cursing, Jimin ran back into the camp and found Sanghyuk. “Sanghyuk I need you to keep watch for me, I need to deal with something.” Jimin said, his voice was urgent. Sanghyuk nodded. “Sure no problem." Thanking him, Jimin told him not to mention it to anyone else and ran after me.

 

I reached the park and swiftly jumped over the metal fence surrounding it. At least that made it a little safer. I sat down on one of the swings and took a deep breath; once again letting the memories of my mother consume me. “You need to hold on tightly.” A voice came from behind me, making me jump. I looked over my shoulder to see Jimin walking over to me, panting from running. My eyes became sad looking but deep down I was relieved he actually came after me. Before I could say anything though, he told me to face forward as he took hold of the swing and pulled me back before letting go and watching me saw through the air. He gently pushed me back every time I swung back to him, making me go higher and higher each time. Once he was satisfied, he left me to keep going by myself and sat on the swing next to it, watching me go backwards and forwards. Tears began to fall despite me trying to sniff them back. It was a mixture of emotion. It felt so good to play like this again, but it hurt so much to think of the past.

 

“I’m sorry.” I chocked, my breath becoming uneasy. Jimin’s eyes watched me as I continued to swing backwards and forwards for a moment before standing up and stopping me. He stood in front of me and I looked down at the gravel. “Do you remember that time we had problems on the run we went on that time? When I promised I’d come back before dark? Do you remember how you felt that whole night?” My eyes rose to meet his and I nodded, still sniffing back tears. “I thought I’d lost you.” I cried, thinking back to how painful that time was. “Me, too.” He said and I frowned, urging a further explanation from him. “When you disappeared from camp and I heard you scream in the woods, I thought I might have lost you, too.” He confessed. At that moment, guilt began to eat me up. I did react immaturely; he only got angry because he was worried. “I’m sorry.” I said again and Jimin nodded, understandingly. “I know you are and I am, too.” He held out his arms, signalling for me to go to him. I stood up from the swing and he immediately wrapped his arms around me and I did the same. “You’re my best friend and I don’t know what I’d do if something happened to you. I promise I won’t shout and scream at you again just please stay with me. If you want to go collect berries, I’ll go with you.” I nodded against his chest. “I will.” After a few more moments, we finally broke away. “Come on, let’s go back before people notice we’re gone.” He said, holding out his hand. I nodded and took it as we began walking back.

 

Sanghyuk waved happily as the two of us approached him. Seeing us hand in hand, his smile grew. “Hey, I’m glad you two made up!” he said. “This guy really is miserable without you, you know?” he told me. Jimin sent him a warning glare, making me laugh. “Thanks for covering.” Jimin said, hinting that he wanted his friend to leave now. Sanghyuk took a few seconds to catch the hint, though. “Oh!” he mouthed. “I get it, I’ll leave you two alone.” He rolled his eyes, picking up his jacket and heading back into the camp. “Are you on night watch again?” I asked and he shook his head. “Once everyone heads to sleep, I’m switching with June.” Jimin informed me. “Ah, I see. Well I’ll wait with you then.” I said, sitting down. Jimin let out a small chuckle and then sat down next to me. “Are you going to come back into Kang’s car when we move again tomorrow?” he asked hopefully. I nodded, making him smile. When everyone headed off to their tents, June came up to take the look out spot over. Jimin and me stayed and chatted with for a little while. He, too, seemed happy that we’d gotten over our little falling out. Eventually, we decided it was time we went and got some sleep, too and bid goodnight to June.

 

Jimin still held onto my hand as we walked slowly back into the camp. We stopped when it was time for us to split ways. “Are you still sharing a tent with that witch?” Jimin asked, feeling raw about how uninterested she seemed the night I’d gone into the woods. “Yes.” I answered, feeling just as annoyed by it. “She’s going to complain again when I go in as most people are already asleep.” I said, sighing. Then, Jimin had an idea. “Then stay in my tent tonight.” He said, smiling. “But…” I hesitated. “Come on, June’s on watch all night so I’m all alone in that tent and I might get scared.” He said in the cutest voice he could muster, pouting for extra effect. I rolled my eyes. “Fine, at least I wont have to get moaned at for once.” I concluded, letting Jimin guide me over to his tent.