Chapter 5

Let's Live On

                                                        

 

After going through a few more stores, the three boys began to walk back to the car, quite pleased with what they had found. As they walked back, they noticed a semi-large group of flesh eaters heading down the street, towards them. However, none of them worried as they quickly darted through one of the alleyways, going back to where the car was parked. Kang and Grandpa were already there, waiting. “Got anything good?” Kang asked as they approached. The three boys nodded, grinning. “We found a chemist and cleared out all the good stuff.” Sanghyun said. Kang seemed impressed. “You didn’t run into any trouble, did you?” Grandpa cut in, concerned. “No, but there are a few heading this way from up the street so we shouldn’t hang about too long.” Jimin explained. Kang nodded and signalled to get the bags packed into the car. Once everything was done, they all climbed into the car and began to drive away. Everything was great as they happily celebrated the stash of important items they’d acquired. That was until about 40 minutes into the journey when the car hit something. All of them jolted forward suddenly and the car came to a stop. “What was that!?” Kang shouted, having not been paying attention on the road. “I hit a hole in the road.” Grandpa admitted, sighing.

 

They climbed out of the car to check for damage and much to Jimin’s distress, he heard what he really didn’t want to hear. “, the tire’s dead!” Kang exclaimed, running his hands through his hair. “Just our luck!" he sighed. "We’re not going to get much further with that.” June’s eyes widened. “So…so what are we going to do?” Kang remained silent as he thought for a moment. “There was a garage back in the town.” He stated. “I’m pretty sure they had a load of tires there, one’s got to be right for us.” He told them. “And if not, we just find another car, we keep the jump leads just in case these things happen after all.” Sanghyun nodded. “So… I wonder how long it’s going to take us to walk back.” He thought aloud. “Well it’s not going to happen tonight.” Grandpa cut in. “What?” Sanghyun frowned. “It’ll be dark by the time we walk back there… and with that small heard we saw, it’s just not safe for us, especially on foot.” Jimin pointed out, sadness in his voice as he realised they weren’t getting back that night. Kang nodded as they all groaned in annoyance. Jimin remained silent and climbed back into the car as the others did their own thing. He leaned against the widow and stared out, hoping that this whole thing would be resolved as fast as possible.

 

 

I kept staring at the plate of food I had prepared, ready for when Jimin got back. Dinner time was ending now, everyone had near enough finished earing. However, he still wasn’t back. As the minutes went on and on, I began to feel a pang in my heart but shrugged it off. I shouldn’t be thinking so negatively, of course he’s fine. They must be running a little late, that’s all. I mean, there’s no precise was to keep time anymore, it’s understandable. It came time to clear everything away for the night. I sighed and covered up Jimin’s food, keeping it safe until he came back. After clearing up everyone headed off to bed, except me. I had to wait for him. He said he’d definitely be back before dark so where was he? I sat in one of the chairs and stared in the direction the car was meant to come from. Every second made me worry more and more. “You should go in a sleep now! They will be back soon, okay?” one of the guys on watch called to me, looking down from where he was sat up on the van. I knew he was only saying those words as a comfort but nonetheless, I slowly trudged back to the tents. Although, it wasn’t mine that I went back to. Instead, I went to Jimin’s tent. The one that he shared with June, a guy who was also out on the run with him.

 

I felt tears begin to well up as soon as I stepped in there. Just the sight of his empty bed made it sting even more. Sniffing, I curled down into his covers which smelt of his scent. It made me feel strangely safer, just closing my eyes and pretending that he was there with me but then I remembered that he wasn’t. Still no sound of the car. This was torture. I stayed up well into the early hours of the morning, just as the sun began to rise. It was only then that I eventually managed to cry myself to sleep, huddled up in Jimin’s sleeping bag. A few of the camp members were worried when I couldn’t be found but when they saw me sleeping in Jimin’s tent with a swollen red face, they decided to leave me be. “She probably has hardly slept. No doubt she’s worried sick about him” One woman commented, sighing. I continued to sleep late into the day. I dreamt of him, too. That must have been the extent of my heart’s longing for him to return safely. Even when asleep, he consumed all my thoughts. I felt myself begin to shake and my eyes slowly opened. They felt sore from all the tears they’d shed. As my vision blurred into focus, my heart dropped. “J-Jimin?” I stammered, looking at the person who’d just woke me up. I swallowed hard and reached out to touch his arm. It wasn’t a dream, he was really there. He gave me a soft smile. “I’m sorry we got back late.” He said as I sat up, still staring at him like he was a ghost. “Why are you in my bed, anyway?” I noticed June stood behind him, just outside the entrance of the tent, probably wondering the same thing. I looked at him with wide eyes, tears threatening to fall again as I jumped forward, clinging onto him as tightly as I could. He chuckled and wrapped his arms around me, returning the hug. “I thought you weren’t coming back.” I whimpered into his ear. Jimin rubbed my back comfortingly, hushing me. “I promised I wouldn’t leave you ever, remember?”