Chapter 12

Let's Live On

                                                                 

“Rise and shine, kids!” Kang said, patting June’s stomach and setting a chain reaction as we all nudged each other awake. Jimin and me had also dozed off during the ride. “Come look what we’ve found!” He told us, a smile spread across his face. It was rare to see Kang like this, whatever had been found, it was bound to be something pretty good. We stretched and waited for our senses to come back before climbing out the car and joining everyone else. There was a massive building in the near distance. “What’s happening?” Jimin asked Kang, still rubbing his eyes from tiredness. “We found this school. It’s sturdy and safe. It’s got fences surrounding it which we can fix up and make safer.” He explained. “There isn’t anther group in their, either.” He said. “Usually all the good places like this are already taken over, we’re lucky this time.” He said, still smiling. Jimin squinted his eyes. “It’s infested!” he said, seeing the dead corpses slowly troop around it. “I know, we’re going to have to clear it out first but this can be made into a nice place for us all.” June smiled. “It’ll take a while but it’ll be great having a solid building keeping us safe!” he commented. Kang nodded in response. “We move in 20 minutes. Get ready.” He told us. “What?” Jimin blurted, a little taken back. “It’s not even midday yet, we’ll get started clearing it today. It’s not safe to make camp out here anyway.” He said, referring to our position. “All of us?” Jimin continued. “We need everyone.” Kang confirmed. Jimin glanced at me nervously. “Aren’t the girls going to wait here?” Kang shook his head. “We need everyone.” He repeated again. “One of the mothers will stay back with the children under 15. The rest of us go in together.”

 

“5 minutes, everyone, make sure your weapons are loaded and ready to go.” Kang called as the whole group mumbled among themselves. I took out my gun from my pocket and checked that it was fully loaded like Kang had said. Jimin was constantly glaring at me with a sad expression and it began to make me feel uncomfortable. “What is it?” I asked, not looking up from my gun. “You can stay here, you know. There’s a lot of kids, they’ll need more than one woman to guard them.” I then raised my eyes to him. “Jimin, I’m going in with everyone else. I’ll be fine.” His expression turned a little sour as he tried to accept it. “Fine.” He grumbled, clearly not pleased. “But you stay beside me the whole time, got it?” I rolled my eyes. “Sure, we’ll stick together.” He nodded, keeping a stern expression. “Okay then, let’s get going!” Kang called and with that, everyone began to walk across the field to the building. The closer we got, the more dead crossed us. When it was just a few the men in front of the group took them out easily. There was no need to waste bullets on small matters; we needed every one we had. We soon reached the front gate. The fencing that surrounded the building was strong which was a positive looking aspect. Once we’d cleared the dead out, they’d not be able to get back in. Once we passed the front gate, the group began to jog up to the building, taking out the few that were in our way and leaving the others to deal with later. What was important was to clear out the building or at least secure a part of it.

 

“It looks like this was a boarding school.” One of the men commented, as we got closer. “That means the rooms will be more secure. Let’s get a good idea of the layout before we decide where to start.” Kang informed us all. “Once we get in, lock the door. Then everyone remain at the foot of the stairs and watch each others backs. Me and Sanghyun will go upstairs and see how it is.” The group all replied with a ‘Yes’ as we finally reached the main entrance.  We all quickly pilled in and pulled the large door shut, preventing any more from getting in. To our relief, the inside wasn’t packed like we’d imagined. There were a few strolling around but that wasn’t a problem for us to deal with. Kang and Sanghyun shot up the staircase that was in front of us as the rest of the group formed a large circle, keeping guard from all angles. The few dead that came at us were quickly distinguished and then we got the call from Kang to come up. “June and Me will guard the stairs.” One man announced, so that none left downstairs would try and make their way up. The building seemed even larger from the inside. “Split into two and cover both corridors.” We were told and the group quickly parted, half running left and the other right. Me and Jimin went right and the group began tackling the rooms in small teams. The two of us burst through one door, finding one inside. With one fast, accurate shot, Jimin took it out and it fell to the floor. “Stay here.” He told me, going to check the next room. I walked over to a door, assuming it was a washroom and checked it was clear and to my relief it was. I walked back to the other side of the room but as I passed the wardrobe, I though I heard a weird sound. It was hard to tell with the noise of everyone else and the gunshots.

 

I didn’t think much of it and unlatched the hook that was holding the doors together. As the doors opened, I suddenly regretted it all as one had been locked inside and lunged out at me. The shock made me fall to the floor and it on top of me. I pushed back its shoulders as it desperately tried to bite at me. I screamed as loud as I could and seconds later, Jimin was back in the room. Another second and a shot sounded before the thing became limp. Jimin ran over and rolled the body off of me and helped me up. The shock got to me and tears glossed over my eyes. “Did it bite you?” He breathed out and I shook my head as the tears fell. “Shh, it’s okay.” He said, pulling me into his arms, against his chest. “The rest of the rooms are clear.” He told me. “Make sure everyone checks the closets too, that’s where that one was trapped.” I sniffed and Jimin patted my back before braking apart. “Will do.” He assured me, taking my hand and guiding me out of the room. “Some of them might be locked in the closets or bathrooms! Check every door carefully.” He called out to the others. 20 minutes later the 2nd and 3rd floors were safely secured. We then went back down to the ground floor in order to finish clearing that, too. Once all was done, we returned to the top floor and decided it was best to stay there for at least the night as the stairs between the floor below had a door.  Even though we’d cleared out the place, it was quite possible to have missed one or two; the building was huge after all. Plus the bedrooms all had locks on the doors, which meant we could lock ourselves in as we slept. We could now see it was definitely a boarding school with all the bedrooms. This was perfect.

 

                                                                 

 

Hi again! This story is slowly developing~ haha I just graduated college on Thursday so I've spent the last couple of days catching up on the sleep I lost over the years from studying and now I'll enjoy my extra long summer writing and catching up on dramas ^^