Chapter 3

Let's Live On

                                                       

I yawned as someone came behind me and handed me a cup of water. Taking it, I followed the arm to find Jimin’s face and his bright smile as usual. He took a seat next to me. “Did you get caught last night?” he asked. Pouting, I nodded in response. “Sorry.” He said, although still smiling. “No, it’s not your fault.” I laughed lightly. “Is there anything you need? I’m going on a run with a few of the others today.” I lifted the cup to take a sip but froze when his words hit me. “Don’t give me that look.” He sighed. “You know I’ll be fine.” I swallowed hard. “I know. I just hate you leaving me.” He cut off my sentence quickly, knowing where it was headed. “No, before you ask, you’re not coming with me.” I pouted again slightly but knew there was no point fighting this one, he’d never agree to me going along with them. I just hated having to sit back at the camp, worrying sick about him. “If you can find a chemist, some anti-septic would be helpful. We’ve almost run out of the last bottle but it’s important. We don’t want anyone getting any infections.” I said, thinking hard about anything else to add. Jimin gave me a half-hearted smile and ruffled my hair like he always did. “Don’t worry, I promise I’ll be home before you sleep, okay?” he reassured me. I nodded, deep down I knew he would be but it didn’t stop the worrying.

 

I walked over to where they were packing the car up, ready to head off on their run into a town a good few miles down the road. “It’s around a 3 hour drive.” One of the other guys said aloud. “If we head off in a minute, 3 hours each way plus an hour or so of searching, we should be back just before it gets dark.” He stated. Jimin turned to me. “See? I’ll be home to tuck you into bed.” He teased, earning a light slap on the arm from me. The others began to climb into the car and that signalled it was time for Jimin to go as well. He smiled and asked what jobs I had to get done that day. “I’m in charge of laundry today and then cooking tonight.” I said, although I knew he was partially doing this to get my mind off the fact that he was leaving. “Really?” his eyes sparkled a little. “Well if you’re doing the cooking tonight, of course I’m going to get home on time for that!” he laughed. Then he quieted down. “I have to go now.” He told me, looking back at the impatient men in the car. I nodded, knowing I shouldn’t keep him any longer. The sooner he left, the sooner he’d get back after all. “Ayyy~ Don’t look so sad. I’ll be back before you know it.” He said, rubbing my arm. It seemed he didn’t quite know how to say goodbye. I didn’t either. I wanted to hug him and hold him as tight as I could but that would have been too much. “Have a nice day, make sure you make the food extra tasty for me tonight.” You nodded once again and slowly, his hand slipped down from your arm. He waved as he walked over to the car and got it only to stick his head out the window seconds later and proceed to wave his hand at you with that stupid smile he had. Watching the car drive away, I sighed. “Jimin, come back safe.”

 

                                                        

 

Jimin sat down in his seat, closing the window he just had his head stuck out of. “Your girlfriend really hates you leaving. Every time, she’s like that.” The guy sat next to him smiled. “Oh...” Jimin started with a bit of an awkward tone. “She’s not my girlfriend.” He told him simply. “Whatever!” another guy joked from the front seat. The teasing continued the whole journey but Jimin took no notice. The new world had made changes to everyone. He was no longer concerned about child-like arguments and teasing any more. Things like that were the least of everyone’s problems. “So, why do you two stick together like that?” The oldest member of their group asked as he focused on driving. He was a kind old man. In his mid 60s. He looked after everyone in the group like a grandfather would and that’s how he earned his nickname. Everyone knew him as ‘Grandpa’. “How long have you guys been together?”

 

                                                           

 

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I trembled. One hand clutched to the metal pipe he’d given me, the other tight in his hand. I looked down at the blood on the pipe that he was holding and let mine fall from my hand, making a large clanging sound on the floor. His head turned to me, with worried eyes. Both of us panted heavily from running so much. We’d finally made it across the few streets we needed to and were now out of immediate danger where the boy had led me. “W-why are they…?” I couldn’t even word together a simple sentence. I was so confused. “Why are they attacking us? Why do we have to hit them!?” There was so much panic in my voice. He remained silent and let go of my hand, throwing his pipe on the ground next to mine. Standing in front of me, he looked down sadly, placing his hands on my shoulders. That’s when I noticed something behind him. My eyes widened in fear but he didn’t see as his were still directed at the ground. I backed away slightly and he looked up, confused. When he saw the horror in my face, he turned around but it was too late to defend himself. The thing latched onto him, making him fall to the ground. Without thinking I grabbed one of the pipes and whacked it around the head as hard as I could. A blow like that would have knocked any one out but it still grovelled and continued to try and feed on the boy who’s saved me.