Chapter 11

Let's Live On

                                                             

 

“You take my sleeping bag.” Jimin quickly instructed, seeing me sit down among June’s bedding. “You don’t want to sleep in his blankets, he smells, trust me.” He told me, pushing me over to his side of the tent and taking my place. “Oh and you don’t smell?” I laughed, raising my eyebrows. Jimin stopped getting comfortable and looked at me, pretending to be offended. “We all smell, Jimin. Living in these conditions, we get used to it. June is just the same.” “But I smell better than June!” he whined like a little child. Knowing he wasn’t going to give up, I nodded. “Okay, you smell better than June.” I said much to his delight. Feeling like he’d won, he laid down and got comfy, lying on his side to watch me as I did the same. “I can’t sleep if you stare at me like that!” I complained, feeling his eyes on me the whole time. Straight away he guided his eyes away but only to return them when he thought I wasn’t looking. “Goodnight.” I bid him quickly before shuffling around so he was facing my back. Jimin sighed contently. “Night.”

 

Some when during the night, I was awoken by something moving against my back. Turning to see what it was out of confusion, I found Jimin had shuffled his way across the floor, closer to me. “Jimin?” I asked, still half asleep. “Hmmm.” He replied, telling me he was awake. “What are you doing?” I questioned, turning to face him. “June’s bedding really does smell, I can’t stand it.” He sniffed, trying to hint to me that he was cold, I knew his tricks all too well. “You’re not sharing with me. I’ll go sleep on June’s side if it’s too bad for you to-“ I was about to get up and move but Jimin stopped me. “I’m cold, I need another human’s warmth!” he suddenly claimed. “I’m pretty sure you don’t need it when it’s just you and June.” I pointed out. “Are you still angry with me? Because usually you love cuddles. How many times have you fallen asleep on me when we were on watch duty, huh? Why are you being like this to me!?” Jimin began ranting like an angry child and I just sighed, lifting up the edge of the blanket. “Fine, stop acting like a toddler. I thought you were the older one.” Jimin gleamed, winning yet another round of our small mental battles and didn’t hesitate to burrow his way into his covers, next to me. Now using his arm as a pillow, I quickly drifted back off to sleep.

 

“Ooh, I wish I had a camera!” June exclaimed, coming into his tent in the morning to find me and Jimin huddled together in a cocoon of blankets. “Look at you two love birds! What exactly happened last night?” Jimin shushed him but throwing a random shirt he grabbed from beside him. “Be quiet, she’s still sleeping.” He muttered in a deep voice, still thick from sleep. “Tire her out that much, did you?” June smirked. Jimin carefully moved away from my sleeping body, not wanting to wake me and then chased June out of the tent. June screeched with laughter as Jimin ran after him before eventually catching him and they both fell to the ground. “Woah, woah, calm down!” he laughed, pushing Jimin off of him. “I’m only teasing you!” The two boys pulled themselves to their feet when a voice called to them. “Hey, boys! Stop playing around and help us get packed and ready to go!” Kang shouted. The both nodded and headed back to the tent. Jimin shook me awake gently and I left to go and pack up my own things from my tent.

 

“So, did anything happen?” June continued, trying to be careful with his words so not to be tackled to the ground again. “Nothing.” He repeated. “At all?” June whined, sounding a little disappointed. Jimin stopped what he was doing and looked straight at June. “At all.” He emphasized each syllable. “But you like her a little more than a sister, right?” Jimin paused at his friend’s question. “I…guess.” June’s eyes went wide upon hearing Jimin’s answer. “You’re actually admitting it now!?” he exclaimed, surprised. “I don’t know! I’ve been thinking a lot lately and I guess… I guess I do like her but I don’t know if it’s because she’s important to me or if I have feelings for her.” Jimin huffed, confused by his own words. “Anyway, I can’t go and act on my emotions because she needs me. If she finds out I have feelings for her it might make things awkward.” He confessed, running his hands through his hair. “How do you know she doesn’t feel the same way back?” June said, zipping up his bag. “I know she doesn’t…” he muttered. “She doesn’t see me like that.”

 

“Okay! Everyone in the vehicles, let’s make a move!” Kang shouted as everyone began to climb into his or her transport. I was happy to be back in the car, sat in the back with Jimin and June. Honestly, it was fun talking with them. June yawned loudly as we set off. “You were on watch all night, you should get some sleep.” I said, seeing the bags under his eyes. “Here, lie down.” I said, patting my leg just as I always did when Jimin was tired. June hesitated and looked at Jimin briefly, as if asking for permission. “It’s okay!” I interrupted. “If he gets sleepy, too, he’s still got my shoulder to lean on.” I joked and Jimin nodded reluctantly. “Uh, okay.” June stuttered, re-adjusting his position and lying down gently on the seat, his head in my lap. Jimin felt his whole body begin to burn. He looked out the window and frowned. Could this be jealousy he was feeling? He couldn’t understand where this had suddenly come from. He knew I acted like this around everyone, looking after people and being affectionate like a mother and yet it’d never bothered him before. Something was different.