Chapter 13

Let's Live On

 

“Everyone find your rooms and get some sleep.” Kang instructed, strolling the corridor. I sighed and looked back as the girls arranged themselves into pairs. Just as I was about to walk over and join them, Jimin grabbed my wrist. “Where are you going?” He questioned, still a little tense. “To find a roommate.” I told him and he shook his head. “You’ve got one here.” He retorted, simply, obviously referring to himself. “Jimin…” I hesitated, awkwardly. “I’ve almost lost you twice in the last couple of days. Just put up with me so my mind will be at rest.” He reasoned, seriously. I nodded. “Okay.” “Jimin” a voice called from behind and we both turned immediately. Kang was strolling over to us. “You come with us to go and get the children and the bags.” He said and Jimin jumped to attention. “Yes.” He replied sharply before turning to me. “You get started clearing our room and I’ll be back with our stuff soon.” He smiled. Overhearing what he’d said, Kang raised his eyebrows. “So you two are moving in together?” He asked, half teasingly, half genuinely curiously. Jimin frowned. “She almost got bit. I can’t look away for a second, she’s a liability!” he exclaimed. “I need to watch her all the time.” He stated, making Kang chuckle.

 

As Jimin left with some others, I found a room and quickly claimed it as ours. There were two dead lying on the floor so my first job was to dispose of them. Luckily June hadn’t gone with Jimin and was able to help me carry them to the window and toss them out. “So, who’re you rooming with now? Still that grumpy woman…what was her name?” I shook me head. “That old witch, no. I’m not staying with her anymore, thank god.” I exclaimed. “Actually, me and Jimin are going to share a room.” “Oh!?” June questioned, wondering if he’d heard my words correctly. “Really? Well, it looks like you’ve stolen him from me. I’ll need to find a new one, then.” I laughed and shrugged. “There’s always the grumpy witch..” I joked and his eyes narrowed. “Don’t joke about those things.” He threatened, playfully. After 10 minutes or so we’d successfully dragged the bodies out of what was now my room. Mine and Jimin’s room to be exact. It still felt strange as I went over the idea in my head. Strange but also right in a way. It made sense that we were this bonded. We did spend a long time with it just being to two of us and that’s when I felt the most comfort. When I was with Jimin.

                                                                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Can you drive?” Jimin asked me as we grabbed the bags with all nessesities we had found in my house. “No.’ I said meekly. “I’ve only taken some lessons.” He admitted to me. “I really don’t think people are going to be too worried about if you can indicate correctly as long as you get the thing moving” I informed him. Without a doubt being in a car was much safer than on foot. “You’re right.” He nodded. I grabbed some keys off a hook that hung by the front door. “We’ll use my mother’s car.” Jimin nodded in agreement and slowly opened the door, checking if it was clear. “Which car is it?” he asked, looking around as he peered out the door. “The red one. It’s nothing special but it works.” I told him. “That’s all we need.” He retorted. “As long as it gets us away from here, then it’s perfect. Right, let’s go now.” Jimin swung the door opened and grabbed my wrist as we made our way over to the car swiftly and both scrambled in. throwing our bags on the back seats. The noise of the car doors shutting had caught the attention of a few of those infected. The mindlessly began to limp towards us. “Let’s get going.” Jimin said holding his hand out for me to give him the keys. I passed them over and he stuck them into the ignition and started the engine. Just as we pulled away, I took one look back at my house. Or the building that was once my house. Just then I saw some movement. We’d left the front door open but it was pulled back further. “Mum!” I shouted, making Jimin jump and hit the breaks. “What?” he exclaimed turning round to look in the same direction I was. My heart raced with excitement but it went down hill very quickly from there. My mother emerged from the doorway into our sight. But she wasn’t herself anymore. “Mum…” I sniffed, the tears firing up all over again. She was infected. She began to move towards the car, snarling at me as if she were a predator and I the prey. I was stunned, frozen in the moment but then the car began to move again. It took a lot to build up the strength but I finally pulled my eyes away from the painful sight, setting them forwards. That was the only way to go now. We couldn’t look back on anything anymore, we just had to keep going.

 

                                                                     --------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Ju-Ah.’ Jimin chimed happily as he returned back up to the top floor. I came out to the door of the room I’d claimed for us and waved him over. “Oh.” He smiled as he walked in. “Compared to what we’ve had to deal with in the past, this is like a 5 star hotel!” he laughed, happy with what we’d found today. He turned and gripped my shoulders tightly with his hands. “It’s going to be so much better now.” He told me, his eyes full of too many emotions to name. “We’re going to be safe here. We’re going to make this into a real home.” He smiled and paused for a moment. “This is it.” I smiled back at him. He was always cheerful and positive but I could hear the relief in his voice. Was our major fight really over? Jimin really thought so.

                                                                ----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, it's been a while. I last updated this story about 2 years ago which is horrific. But I'm back. I need to complete it. I feel bad leaving it half done. Hopefully some of you will appreciate that. hehe I'll go back and fix the design later. I've forgotten how to everything oh my.