Chapter 1

Let's Live On

                                                      

I wonder if it’s a Wednesday. If it were, I would have been in class around this time. Back then, that is. Of course that’s impossible for me or anyone else now. The only lessons we learn now are how to stay alive. Every thing we do is for our survival. We’re constantly fighting to keep ourselves alive. As I sat here around the fire with a few others, thoughts always occupied my mind like this. My eyes travel to a boy sat in an old plastic chair across the fire. That’s Jimin. If it weren’t for him, I’d have been just like all those others who weren’t so lucky. But now I think about it, was it luck we really had? I wasn’t sure anymore. Either way, Jimin was the one who kept me alive. Mentally and physically. We hadn’t known each other before the end came but we were inseparable since that day.

                                                      

 

I frown as noises keep arising from outside. Looking up at the clock I saw there was only another 10 minutes left of the exam. I needed to focus but couldn’t. Another screech from outside ran through the room. What were those people doing? I assumed it was kids from the lowers grades. Didn’t they realise how stressful it was for the seniors trying to get into college? Clearly not. I took a look out the window and gasped loudly. The whole class turned to look at me but I didn’t take me eyes off the window. Confused, a few of them looked out as well. That’s when the girl in front of me screamed. “Teacher! There’s a girl being attacked!” The teacher ran over to the window to join us. Her eyes bulged in fear. A girl helplessly struggled as it seemed a man tried to force himself on top of her. We were a few floors up, we couldn’t see clearly what was happening. A few of the guys in the class stormed out, running to her rescue. The rest of the class soon followed. We all ran down to the yard but when we got there not only was it too late but definitely not what we were expecting. The man stood up, covered in blood, the girl’s blood. She now lay motionless, her stomach ripped open. He turned to face us, his eyes were completely white and his skin an almost yellow colour, like it was rotting. The only noises that he emitted where incoherent. Our class stood there in shock. No one knew what to say, no one knew what to do. He took a step towards us and everyone immediately backed away. His arms stretched out in front of him, he tried to get one of us in his grip. This was too weird.  The teacher began to hurry everyone back inside the building but I had a bad feeling.

 

More screams could be heard in the distance. What was happening? Were there more of these people…these things? I thought of my mother, was she okay? I couldn’t sit around and hope so. Without a second thought I began to sprint out of the school gates. My classmates and teacher called to me, but I didn’t look back. Again, if I had gone back with them, maybe I wouldn’t be alive to tell you about it now. As I ran down the streets, people were in panic. Everyone was grabbing what they could from their apartments and shops and shoving it into their cars. With all the people trying to evacuate, I couldn’t get through to the main street. Wanting to get to my mother as soon as possible, I took a quick turn down one of the side streets that lead to a load of back alleyways. I kept running and running. It wasn’t far now. After a last right turn, I’d come out onto the street where I lived. I jogged around the corner only to come to a complete stop as soon as my eyes caught sight of what was ahead. My breathing was uneven. I felt tears well up but I was too scared to move. My lips shivering, I quickly brought my hand up to my mouth to prevent myself from making any sound. However the slapping noise of my hand slapping my face was already more than enough. It looked up at me, stopping from devouring the corpse that once was a woman below it. My whole body shook in fear. These tight alleyways were like a maze, I wondered if I’d ever be able to escape. The creature dragged itself to its feet and began to hobble towards me, making eerie groaning noises. I screamed in fear, turning on my heal and running back the way I came. Looking over my shoulder, I saw it follow me. I didn’t want to end up like that woman or that girl back at the school. I didn’t want to die.

 

“Hey! Girl! Over here!” I looked around frantically, still running with every ounce of energy I had. “Girl, to your left!” Although before I had the chance to look around again, a hand grabbed my wrist, pulling me into another side alley. Terrified, I screamed and screamed. The strength of whatever tugged me made me fly, landing on top of him. He quickly rolled me off him and slammed a large metal gate closed, blocking that thing that was chasing me out. I pulled myself up off the ground and my eyes focused as it violently clawed at me through the gate, I screamed again. “Calm down, it can’t get you now!” I looked up to see a teenage boy, probably around my age. My breath was still haltering from the shock. I looked at the thing. It wasn’t a human. I knew that much if nothing else. It was pale and dead-looking. It couldn’t speak or run. All it wanted to do was feed on the flesh of other people. It may once have been a human but not anymore. The boy came over and helped me to my feet. He began to check me over. Confused, I pulled myself away from his grasp. “Are to bit anywhere? Scratched?” he asked, concerned. I shook my head. “N-no. It didn’t touch me. Why? What is it?” His eyes looked at me with pity. He seemed surprised that I didn’t know. “I’ll explain to you later, okay? But if you want to get out alive, you need to stick with me.” I nodded in response and he took my hand in his, moving away from the metal gate to the other end of the alley.

 

He placed his fingers over his lips, telling me to keep quiet. Peering out onto the street, he quickly dived back, letting out a curse in the form of a whisper. He sighed. “They’re everywhere.” He told me as his grip tightened on my hand, squeezing it for reassurance. He looked around on the floor and picked up a few metal pipes that were lying there. He handed me one. “Don’t be scared. Stay right behind me and if one comes near you, aim for the head.” He instructed me calmly. I gulped but forced my head to nod. “Okay, let’s go.”

                                                       

 

Hi guys! I'm back after a long time of not writing... This is something really different to what I usualy write but yeah.. I dreamt about it and fel the need to write it down like this. Anyway, I passed 500 subscribers!! Which is crazy and  I decided that I really should start writing again... This isn't the only thing I'm working on. I've got some more of my usual stuff coming up too.. haha Let me know what you think of this idea, though! ^^