Butterflies

The Bodyguard

I  guess that was how I ended up pinning a half-, very scared looking girl to a wall. I quickly realized my mistake as she shrieked, and realized that a) she was the girl from earlier this night, and b) that the thing that I saw flash was not a weapon, instead, the girl was holding metallic handcuffs. All of those realizations came crushing down on me as I let the girl go and saw Jiyong silently staring at me at the end of the hall.

He didn’t look mad, he looked…amused. But I had to quickly drop my gaze down as he was also half . Professional, Dani, please be professional. You can do it.

“Sorry, I thought you were trying to brake in. I’ll be going now.” I said and quickly made a run for my room.

Finally closing the doors behind me, I took a deep breath. What the hell happened? Since when was I bad at my job? Groaning, I decided that it was just the long flight, and that I only needed a good night’s sleep and would be as good as new.

The next morning my alarms went off so early that I saw the sunrise. And it immediately made me cranky. I hated mornings. And mornings hated me. We heated each other, with a passion. But I had a job to do, and since I had no idea what his schedule was I decided to better wake up early.

I had a quick shower, and then dressed in comfortable jeans and a light sweater. Sweaters were my best friends, because I could fit so many knives and guns under them that it was almost like pure magic.

Only when I stepped out of the apartment I saw that I had made a mistake. There was clothes littered everywhere. What, did they come out dressed and then decided to undress again, just for ts and giggles? And his phone and keys were still on the coffee table where he left them the night before, which meant he was still asleep. And that left me kind of standing there, clueless to what I was supposed to do now.

After I heard some unhuman noises come from his bedroom again, I quickly decided to go back to my room. As I was starting to feel bored, I unpacked and somewhat organized my stuff in my new room. Then (since it seemed that they were determined to keep getting it on) I took all the details about the job out of the envelope, and laid them on the floor before me. That way I could see if I missed something when I looked over them during the flight.

I was just deciding that he needed to install another alarm in his house, and that I needed to see the security of his cars, when I heard the front doors open and close. I jumped up and rushed out of the room, scared that something would happen to him while he was out, and almost bumped into him.

He had just sweat pants on, and they were hanging very low on his hips, and that was it. He was wearing nothing else, except for a smirk and a cocked eyebrow.

Play it cool, and for ’s sake don’t act like a teenager, Dani.

“Hey, hungry?” That was my idea of playing it cool?

At first he seemed very confused by my reaction, but then he just smiled and nodded. I went into the kitchen and opened the fridge. It was stocked full.

“What do you want? Oh and by the way, sorry for what happened this night. I promise it won’t repeat.”

He looked at me, grinning, and said in a rather amused voice:

“It’s fine. You were just doing your job. And eggs would be nice.”

As I cracked open the eggs and fried them, I couldn’t help but wonder since when a bodyguard cooked breakfast. And since when did I ever offer to cook somebody breakfast? Why were we so comfortable? And was it bad that we were already like that?

We sat down and ate in a comfortable silence. I looked up to see him biting his lip and smiling at me.

“What do you say to a little game? We can ask each other questions to get to know each other better since we will be living together.” he said, seemingly not nervous at all.

 Although at first I wanted to refuse, after some thinking I couldn’t find anything in me that really wanted to say no, and that was why in the end I nodded.

“Okay, I guess…what do you want know?”

“Do you have a boyfriend?” he asked that question just like that, like he was asking me if I liked ice cream. I chocked on my eggs. I wasn’t sure why I was making such a big deal out of this. He probably thought of it as an innocent question and here I was, blowing it out of proportion.

“Uhm, well, yes, I-I think so.” Did that really sound as bad as I think?

After suppressing his laughter, he looked at me, still smiling and shaking his head.

“How can you think that you are in a relationship? You either are or aren’t, or that is at least how I do it.”

“Well…We had a big fight before I left for Korea, and we have been having problems even before that. And now he is not even speaking to me.” I said, sighing slightly.

He took a deep breath, puffing up like a puffer fish, and then letting his air out said:

“And here I thought I was asking a simple question. Sorry. Do you want to ask me something?”

And I blurted out the first thing that came to my mind.

“And how about you, are you in a relationship?”

He raised his eyebrow, silently asking me if I was serious.

“Yeah, I guess after last night, it is safe to say that you are not.” And surprisingly it wasn’t awkward after that. We kept on talking and asking each other questions, laughing and eating together.

We ended up both giggling like small children as he, sounding almost surprised, said:

“Wow, if I knew that it would be this fun to have a female bodyguard I would have asked for one before they already gave me my bodyguards.” I smiled to him, but in my mind I just remembered that I still don’t know why I was called for the job.

“Jiyong, I mean Ji, why was I called for the job? I asked your boss and he told me to ask you.”

It seemed that my question made him somewhat uneasy.

“There have been some threats made towards me, and they were not your usual threats, so my boss decided to add an extra bodyguard who was specially trained for situations like this.”

I nodded, but I still didn’t know from who I needed to protect him.

“Do you have any idea who the person behind the threats is?”

“No, I can show you the letters later, but right now we really need to get going or I’ll be late for a photoshoot.” I nodded, and was left alone in the kitchen as Ji went to go get dressed.

Even now that I got my answers I still felt like something was missing. Why wasn’t the reason behind the job mentioned in the details, or why didn’t his boss tell me? They were all acting like it was something terribly mysterious, when in reality, from what I have been told, it was just a simple job. I really didn’t get the fuss behind it.

 Shrugging my shoulders I waited for Jiyong. And waited, and waited some more. Really how long did it take for him to get dressed? I know he is a fashionista…but won’t we be late for his photoshoot or something?

Which reminded me that I needed to get a hold of his schedule asap. I could already see myself pestering his manager.

And that was when it happened. The doors to his room started opening and I half expected him to exit dressed like a princess, but instead he was wearing ripped jeans, a shirt with a print on, a very weird coat on, and sunglasses. I was pretty sure that combination would look awful on anybody, there were so many colors, but on him it kind of…looked good.

“All ready to go?”

He nodded and we exited the apartment. The company van was already outside and as we entered it, I remembered about all the things I wanted to change with his security. So during the 30 minute drive I pestered him with alarms, car security, weapons and schedules.

I think that by the end of it he was ready to murder me, but instead he nodded and said that if I thought it was necessary, then he would do it, and that I just needed to say that to his manager.

I was quite happy that I managed to get him to say yes to 2 new alarms, changing his schedule a bit, and him letting me carry guns. It wasn’t like I wasn’t carrying them already, but he didn’t need to know that.

We got to the photoshoot venue, and immediately he was whisked away to hair and makeup, and I was left to being bored. I watched as his hair was styled into a y mess, while his makeup artist was applying eyeliner to his eyes.

Jeez, I had never had this much makeup on me in my life. While all of that was happening I was standing quietly next to the wall, and observing people, trying to see any potential threats.

The rest of Big Bang came too, and got their hair and makeup done. Soon the clicking of the camera started and I watched in amazement as all of them changed expressions and poses, and at the same time looked natural.

I felt a slight tap on my shoulder and turning around noticed Ji’s manager had approached me.

“Here is his schedule, and I had ordered the new alarms.” He said, giving me at least 10 papers, and grinning. I smiled shyly, as I was truly amazed how efficient everybody here was. Not to bash on Europe, but there things got done much slower.

“Thank you very much.” He nodded, and before going back to his place of supervising how the photoshoot was going, said:

“Just keep him safe.”

I was surprised at the sincerity in his voice, and nodded again. It seemed that in Korea all I did was nod. All of the people were talking in Korean, and since I didn’t understand a word of it I just concentrated on the boys and their safety. Finally it was lunch break time, and they had 30 minutes to eat and then had to change their clothes and get back to work. The photoshoot had catering so while everybody was eating I looked at his schedule.

This shoot was supposed to end by 6 pm, and then he had an hour and a half gap, and then performance and interview at some show. I disliked that I had to go the building where the show was without knowing the floor plans or the security, but I couldn’t really whine about it. Every few seconds I would lift my eyes to check if everything was okay, but this time when I did that I was met and locked into place by two brown orbs.

He mouthed ‘come here’ and I stood up and took those small 10 steps to the table where Big Bang was eating.

“Is everything okay?” I asked, not sure why he wanted me to come.

“Why aren’t you eating?” he asked, looking up to me, while all the other members were literally stuffing their faces with food.

“My job isn’t really to eat, it is to protect you, and I can’t do that properly if I’m chocking on meat.” I said and blushed really hard when the whole table chocked. It took me some time to realize that my statement could be taken in a very…y way and smirked.

“Bull, I order you to eat.” Jiyong finally said, after recovering from chocking. With a sigh, I sat down next to them and ate just a tad bit to make them happy. Soon I found myself laughing with them and talking, and I was really grateful that everybody was speaking English for my benefit.

Taeyang looked at me, cocking his head to one side, as if he was thinking about something.

“Dani, do you usually do this type of jobs?” he finally asked.

“Yes and no. I have my team and usually we do jobs together. That way one of us is in charge of collecting data, the other 2 are immediate protection and one is a bit more far away looking for potential threats. It is much harder to this all alone.” I said biting my lip, and smiling shyly.

“Are they like your family?” Daesung asked, flashing me his famous smile.

“Yes, I usually spend most of my time with them. I miss them.” Why did I open up so easily in front of them? I felt weird by telling them all of this. But at the same time it felt right.

“Well then we will be your substitute family.” Seungri happily concluded and the whole table burst out laughing.

The photographer yelled wardrobe change and in 15 minutes the clicking started again. If I was bored, I couldn’t even imagine how much they were bored.

Finally 6 pm rolled around, and the torture ended. The van drove us back to Ji’s apartment, and entering it all I could think of was sleeping. I was still very much jet lagged and that didn’t help at all.

“Ji, for the show I need to be dressed as a bodyguard, right?”

“Yeah, is that okay?”

“Mhm..” I murmured and went to my room, to try and dig up my suit. The whole suit was made from special materials that easily stretched, but at the same time were resistant to braking. I was wearing pair of pants and a white dress shirt that were both very form fitting. Pulling my hair back into a ponytail, I secured everything with an elastic band and some bobby pins, and then finally put my jacket on.

I had a belt similar to what police officers wore, but less bulky. It held my gun, two knives, a flashlight, a teaser, and I had two more knives in my boots. At the end I looked at myself in the mirror and saw the very familiar reflection. I felt most comfortable in this, and I knew I could fight in it well. God knows what this suit witnessed during my bodyguard career.

I exited my room, and played the waiting game again. Jesus, he took longer than most girls. When he finally emerged from his room he was wearing very form fitting and colorful pants with a simple black T-Shirt, and a lot of jewelry. I really didn’t have to worry about finding him today, I could hear him a mile away.

He stopped in his tracks as he saw me in my full bodyguard attire, and laughed.

“You are still a cute blonde, but now you also look like you can bite somebody’s head off.” He said, his voice holding a note of amusement in it.

“I’ll take that as a compliment, now let’s go.”

We were again placed in a van and came to the building were the show was in less than 20 minutes. As I steeped in I was given an ear plug to hear everything that was happening and to communicate with the rest of the bodyguards. To late did I realize that all of them spoke in Korean and I didn’t. Deciding against worrying about literally no communication between me and the rest of bodyguards, I stood and watched people move and shuffle around while taking their seats. The moment the lights went off, the room got filled with excited whispers.

Then the lights went on to show two MC’s smiling. Soon they introduced Big Bang, and the boys walked in and sat down, smiling at all the fans screaming. They started talking, and kept on talking for at least an hour. The crowd was going crazy, laughing and screaming ‘Oppa’.

Since I didn’t understand anything I was just scanning the crowd over and over and trying not to die of boredom. If you ever see bodyguards in reality and they look very focused, then that usually means that they are bored out of their mind but are pretending like they are doing something important. The ability to look focused when in reality you are not comes with the job and thank God for that

The talk part ended and now it was time for them to perform 3 songs (I checked in schedule, sighing in relief that it would soon be over). The first 2 songs went awesome, the crowd going crazy and the boys having fun. In the third song,  a minute before the ending, I saw something that made me worry. As Jiyong was dancing I saw him stumble just a bit, and pain flashed through his face. He kept on singing like nothing happened, but I knew better. I came closer to the backstage and as the song ended and Big Bang left the stage I was already next to Jiyong.

“Does it hurt?” I asked and he looked at me, surprise showing in his face.

“I get paid to notice things, you know.” I said making him sit down backstage, while the other members were surrounding him, worry showing on their faces.

I looked at his foot, ankle to be exact and sighed. It was not awful, but it was not good either. I lifted my gaze up and my eyes met Jiyong’s. My heart did a little dance, a dance it had never done before. I could see that he was in pain, but his eyes said something else, something that made me blush and sent butterflies into my stomach.

But this was not right. I had a boyfriend. I had a job to do. I couldn’t feel this way…or could I?

 

 

*I have no idea why I think this chapter , but I do. I don’t know…what do you guys think? Anyways, thank you for reading! :)