Rainbows and Letters

The Bodyguard

Unfortunately, the white Lamborghini was not a good escape vehicle. Sure, it was fast, but I couldn’t say it exactly blended in. And I wanted to blend in, because a) the flower killer is after me, and b) my boss, along with my crew, wants to find me. So after I got to the bus stop, I parked Ji’s car, and hopped on the first bus I saw.

The bus, luckily for me, took me straight to the bus station. I pulled my hoodie up, and put my sunglasses on, and avoiding all the cameras managed to get on a bus that took me out of Seoul. The bus took me to Paju, which was a city near Seoul. The city was full of military bases which I did not like, so after coming there, I immediately boarded another bus that took me far into the countryside, into a small town, almost village like.

 

It was around noon, when I got off the bus. At first I took a walk around, just to get to know where I was. I saw a small town center, which had a library, 3 coffee shops, a store and a movie theater all packed into a one place. Of course everybody there was Korean so I stuck out like a sore thumb, what with my blonde hair and hazel eyes. But that was okay, I wouldn’t stay here long enough to get noticed too much.

When I finally managed to find a hotel, it was already dark outside. Luckily I had money with me, and could always access more. My laptop and mobile phone were untraceable. Of course my boss knew all my fake IDs…except one. So when I checked into the hotel I used that ID. Why I had a spare one? Well because I was taught to never fully trust anybody.

 

 I settled on the cheap bed and saw through the mirror the street lamps that were now the only source of light. I knew that my crew would expect me to leave the country, probably to Russia, but I wanted to stay relatively close to Seoul, that way I could keep an eye out on Ji, and the Flower Killer. He couldn’t hide from me here.

I finally relaxed, after running the whole day. I was not sure if I wanted to cry hysterically or laugh hysterically. I finally found somebody that I started to truly love, only to have to run from the same person who killed the last person I loved. Lovely.

 

The Flower Killer had a real sense of timing. I was also well aware that I was basically taunting him to come and get me, with me being all alone and with no protection. But I wanted it that way, because if he was focusing on me he couldn’t focus on Ji.

I tried convincing myself this was just like the other jobs, that I was doing prep work…but it was so much more. It was my life, not only me living or dying, but also doing what I want.

With another sigh, I decided to stop being overly dramatic. Instead I showered and went straight to bed, deciding that I would worry tomorrow.

 

I met Leo in a club, and I still remember Lilly telling me how she didn’t like him. But I was too dumb to notice that something was off. I fell in love hard, and although something was always missing I always hoped that somehow, someday that hole would disappear. It never did, instead it just grew. From the start Leo disliked my job, my family, my friends. But at first he hid it well, until…until one night when I came back home from a week long job. I entered the apartment, called out for his name but I didn’t get a reply, instead the moment I walked into our kitchen he slapped me. He started yelling at me that I was a dirty , that I probably ed every single crew member I had, and he kept on screaming and screaming at me. I was mostly just standing there, dumbstruck that my boyfriend could turn into…that.

Next morning he apologized, and I said okay, hoping that he was just drunk when he said all those things. He wasn’t. For a year he kept on abusing me, and I let it happen because I was scared of being alone.

 

I just kept on dreaming about my life, almost like my brain was trying to show me what I went through, but one memory stuck out.

 

Ji had a day off, which in turn did not mean I had a day off. I wanted to pout, but it was impossible to be sad when Ji was in one of his ‘I’m happy’ moods.

 

“Let’s go out.” He said, biting his lips, trying to seduce me to agree.

 

“No, right now it is too dangerous. And if you haven’t noticed it is monsoon time.” He giggled to my reply, and still managed to drag me into the rain.

 

We quickly took his Range Rover, and sped through the drenched Seoul. I had no idea where he was taking me, but for a change, I didn’t worry. Instead I enjoyed the feeling of freedom, and being relaxed.

After exiting Seoul, Ji turned to a road that seemingly took us to the countryside. The rain was starting to weaken, and both Ji and I screamed when we saw a rainbow. I giggled at how childish we were.

 

“Isn’t it that there is some sort of treasure at the end of the rainbow?” I asked, lost in thought.

 

“Well, we won’t know if we don’t go look.” Ji said, an impish smile playing on his lips. So we drove through the countryside, following the rainbow, and finally we ended up in a small town. I exited the car first, and jokingly started running away from the car, knowing that nothing bad could happen, when I felt Ji’s strong arms catch me. I lost my breath, but not from him catching me, instead I lost my breath from the feeling of being in his arms.

It was almost like he noticed my reaction, because he let me go, but he still held my hand.

I guess for that one day, it was my day off too, because that day me and Ji acted on our feelings and we just did what felt right. And his hug definitely felt right.

 

I gasped, opening my eyes, shattering the illusion that I was still in Ji’s arms. I noticed two things. First I was in the town that me and Ji visited that day. And second, there was a letter under my door.

 

Slowly taking my gun from under my pillow, I approached the door, and after opening it and seeing that there was nobody there, picked up the letter.

 

Just holding it brought back so many memories, but I shook them all off and sat down on a small chair.

 

Opening it, 3 pictures fell out. One was of Hana’s lifeless body, and the second was of me and Ji hugging. After recovering from the shock of seeing Hana, I realized that the Flower Killer watched me and Ji all the time. I needed to protect Ji from him, or I would die trying.

Next to the pictures there was a small note.

 

 My pretty little flower, back off from protecting him.. He is as good as dead if you don’t leave Korea. Go to Russia, I’ll be waiting for you.

It is your choice.

 

And then I saw the last photo. It was of me, entering the hotel. He was here.