Of early mornings and inspiration

Tainted Love [Broken]

Kyungsoo groaned and reached for the phone that rang insistently on the bedside table. He looked at the caller ID and groaned.

"What?" He asked grumpily, ignoring the chuckle from the other line.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today" Kyungsoo winced at the chirpy tone he used, it was too early for that and he was never a morning person anyway.

"Will you just get on with it, Baek? you know I have to make a start on the other pieces for the exhibition"

"Er.. actually, that's kind of what I wanted to talk to you about.." The way he trailed off had Kyungsoo's full attention.

"What happened?" He asked, a hint of panic underlying his question.

"Well...you know we hired that new cleaner for the hall?" Kyungsoo furrowed his brow. He did vaguely recall Baekhyun babbling on about some new member of staff. 

"Um.. I think I remember" he replied, massaging his temples withh his free hand.

"Okay so he..mayhaveaccidentallysetfiretoyourcitydawnpiece-and I.am.so.sorry" he said, taking a huge breath at the end of the sentence. 

"Right, I didn't get that so say it again, slower this time" this time, panic was evident in his voice. A sigh echoed down the line and Kyungsoo could imagine the frown on Baekhyuns face.

"Chanyeol..he um. Well he kind of set fire to your city dawn piece but-"

Kyungsoo didn't hear the rest, his hand had gone lax and his phone clattered as it made contact with the polished floor. He wailed dramatically, mourning the loss of one of his best paintings to date. He grabbed the phone from the floor.

"-soo! Kyungsoo he is so sorry and I'm so sorry-"

"Baek, please don't. I just...it's..what am I going to do?! That was the centre piece of the whole exhibition!" He cried internally, his perfect life was slowly falling apart with a single phone call.

"I know, I'm really sorry. Can't you paint something else?" He asked. Something else? Something else?! Did Baekhyun not realise the time and effort he put into that piece?! Kyungsoo groaned loudly down the speaker.

"So now, not only do I have to finish my other pieces for the exhibition, I have to completely repaint the centre piece. I'm not sure I can do it in 3 weeks." 

"Well you kind of dont have a choice"

Kyungsoo felt his anger rise at the obvious statement. "You think I don't know that?!" He snapped. Usually he would feel a little bit guilty but that painting was perfect and he had invested so much into it. He sighed.

"Fine. I'll start drafting a new piece." 

Baekhyun sounded considerably more optimistic.

"I knew you could do it! If you don't mind, could you...I'm not really sure how to go about this"

"Go about what?" The artist replied. He had a bad feeling. Baekhyun was going to ask a favour that would end in disaster.

"Listen, I know you don't like this subject..but could you maybe come up with a centre piece with the theme of love?" As Kyungsoo was about to say something he was cut off by Baekhyun.

"It's the only theme missing from your paintings and you could really do with at least one painting that depicts one of the strongest feelings ever! Please? It's just a one off, after that you can go painting whatever it is you artists paint!" 

A moment of silence was the answer to Baekhyun's question. Well, in his opinion anyway.

"Great, thanks Kyungsoo! And good luck!"

"Wait, I didn't even-" a beeping sound indicated the end of the call. Kyungsoo dramatically flopped back onto his bed. It was way to early for this and he just wants to cry because everything was perfect but now he has to start over, and who wouldn't be mad at someone setting fire to your artwork? Not only that, he also had to paint with the theme he was completely clueless about.

That was always bad, Kyungsoo usually took his inspiration from things he felt, how he viewed things, but how was he supposed to do that now? He'd never fallen in love before. Maybe it wasn't such a great idea turning down all those girls that used to confess to him.

 

°°°°°°

 

This place, again. Which is weird because he shouldn't remember this place, he shouldn't remember how the smell of saltwater calms him, or how the sound of the waves hitting the shore was oddly comforting. He shouldn't remember him..

He sat up from his position on the floor and craned his neck, searching for the male that had plagued his last dream. He spotted him sitting a few meters behind himself, smiling lazily down at him. Like last time, he was wearing his white shirt and khaki pants, tanned collarbones visible due to the top few buttons being left undone.

He felt his heart skip a beat looking at this boy, he was utterly perfect. 

"Who are you?" He asked, approaching the stranger. All the response he got was a simple smile. He remembered trying to touch the male last time before he woke up. Deciding not to risk it again, he took a seat next to the boy, hoping his dream wouldn't be cut short.

Neither made conversation, though Kyungsoo's curiosity began to spike. As if sensing the other males feelings, the tanned boy broke the silence.

"Jongin" he said in a husky voice. 

The smell of saltwater became suddenly overpowering, his senses were in overdrive and everything went black.

 

His eyes snapped open, chest heaving as he took in his surroundings. He buried his head in his hands. He was dreaming. It was just a dream. But then, why did it all feel so real? And that boy again. How is it possible for the same boy to be in his dreams twice?!

"Jongin"

"Jongin" Kyungsoo let the name roll smoothly off his tongue and bounce around the walls. He was surprised to find his lips curve into a natural smile at the sound of the name. This surely is a sign? It must be, there can't be any other reason as to why the same guy was walking around in his dreams.

"Jongin" he said again, this time more firmly. Again, the smile that came naturally to his face both scared and intrigued the young painter. Slinging his feet over the side of the bed, he'd made a decision.

"Okay then, Jongin." He muttered to himself, staring at the blank canvas in front of him.

"You can be my inspiration."