Alternative 10 : She's Afraid of The Dark

Sunset, The Alternative Life

Alternative 10 : She’s Afraid of The Dark

BGM : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ldtYTQrNg

 

“I’m sorry..”

“Waeyoo?”

“I’m not there for you all this time.”

“Oppa..”

“But I will be, starting from now.” Yonghwa interlaced their fingers together. Hers was thin and frail.

“You don’t need to do that.. you will just get hurt.”

“I will hurt more knowing this is happening to you.” Yonghwa tucked the strand of her hair to the back of her ear.“Knowing that you have been through, seeing how much you suffered and changed.”

It’s true, she were broken. She was like an empty walking shell waiting for someone to fill her in. To remind her of what a wonderful woman she is. He saw the glimpse of the cheery little girl tonight and he’s going to bring her back…

He definitely will.

“He’s not around. I don’t know if its permanent but he won’t be around. Not for now.” She said curving into a sweet smile coaxing him to smile along with her. She’s that infectious.

He even felt the dark alley was brightened by the purity of her expected freedom.

***

Yonghwa exhaled through his mouth, smiling as he inserted his both of his hands on his pants pockets.

“That’s a relief, so you’re all mine right now?” Yonghwa bites the inside of his mouth, suppressing his smile when he received a small nod from her along with her shy “ne.”

“Let’s go?” Yonghwa raised his eyebrows, asking her a question.

“Hmm.” Seohyun curved a sweet smile and grabbed his hand that was offered for her to grab. “Where are we going?”

“I’m sending you home.” Yonghwa lifted her hand along with his as he checked on his watch for the time before inserting it along with his hand on his pocket.

Seohyun can’t help but feel safe with his fingers interlacing with hers as she watched the blinking street light giddily, hoping for this moment to last forever.

“But why are you asking where are we going?”

“Nothing, I just thought we should enjoy this freedom for now.”

“You don’t mind enjoying it with me?”

“Ayee oppa, of course not.”

“Not any other man?”

“No…” Seohyun cheeks were turning into a pinkish red again, along with her pale ears as her free hand started to roam on her hair. She twirled her hair as a result of her habit whenever she’s nervous.

“I got it. I guess I’m only yours then. So you won’t mind if I make you mine right?”

 Seohyun can feel the breeze passing them as she awkwardly avoided his teasing eyes.“Choding.”

“But you like the choding right?” Yonghwa tapped his forefinger at her nose, grinning from ear to ear like a silly person noticing her cute little button nose huffing. “I will take that you being silent as a yes.” He pinched her nose.

“It’s not a dream right Seo Joohyun?” Yonghwa looked at her longingly as she gazed the moon that was shining above them.

“Hmm..” She pondered. “I wonder.. it might be.” She directed her gaze to meet his eyes, smiling. Yonghwa mouth was slightly parted as he felt he was losing his breath as she smiled innocently at him. His heart still pain over her tired looking eyes that was looking at him adoringly.. her pain that she kept to herself for so long. Intuitively, he caressed her right cheek with his thumb.

“It’s been a hard journey doesn’t it?” She slightly nodded before slightly tilting her head causing his hand to move away from her.

No words were exchanged between them as he observed a glistening drop of tear fell gracefully from her right eye.. shedding itself until it touched the ground. He lifted their intertwining hands and kissed every single of her slender looking fingers trying to tell her that it’s okay to cry in front of him.

***

It was a sunny day as the cast and crew are back to their regular filming schedule. All of them are trying their best to exceed the already astounding viewership rating of 21 percent. One particular female lead came in the set with a cheery expression. Her smile seemingly never fades away from her face as she greeted each of the staff chirpily. She was one of the casts that were listed to film early than the others that day but she’s already nailing most of her scenes, giving chills to the crew and actors on the set with her chilly acting skills.

She has always been a fast learner and a good enough actress, but this is unusually extraordinary vibe she’s been giving that specific day. She was eager than ever. One can’t help but wonder what kind of magic medicine she’s been drinking. 

Seohyun sat under the huge umbrella busy flipping the pages of today script, memorizing the lines by uttering it over and over again as the make-up artists were busy tending to her face and her hair. Making sure, that it was perfect enough for the next scene. She was adjusting her lines with her own flair. Each time with a more perfect pronunciation and with a definite tone just right for the character she’s playing. Her focus was interrupted when a tall but muscular figure gently laid down a cup of water on the table. She slightly lifted her head to see the figure and there he goes, those charming cheek bursting smile of his was shown as he looked at her… fading under his own tent before he left a cunning little wink at her.

‘That Choding..’ She gushes to herself, hoping that her cheeks weren’t showing any evident blushes aside from the blushes that she was wearing. Naturally, she curved into a shy smile before observing the cup on the table. It was a blue cup with Jung Yonghwa face plastered on it, a sentence was written below his picture. “Be happy!’ She felt herself melting under his teasing gaze although his tent was quite far from hers.

‘Real smooth oppa.. real smooth..’ She thought to herself as she sipped the plain water leaving a hint of her red lipstick on the cup. “Unnie, you’re going to the van?”’

“Yep.”

“Can you pass this to the male lead?” She asked her make-up artist to give it back to Yonghwa purposely. Who says she can’t be as cunning as he does.

Yonghwa eyes widened with the red lip stick stained on his cup. “What’s this?” Yonghwa asked the make-up artist. “She said thanks for the water but no thanks for the vain cup you gave her.” The make-up artist unnie clearly tried her best to hold back her laughter.

Yonghwa sat there agape before smirking amusingly. “Jasshik.” He muttered to himself before placing the lipstick stained on the cup to his own lips. He then send a text to the SNSD maknae.

To Hyun,

Silly, I will take it as an indirect kiss then. ;)

Seohyun eyes narrowed disbelievingly. She turned to look at him. He was giving her a seductive gaze with his lips puckered. A hint of ‘redness’ can be seen on his lips. He was a true definition of overly cheesy choding. She rolled her eyes, snickering at times only to be replied with another greasy wink of his.

This.. Is too much. She can’t control it anymore. She bursts into a roaring laughter, her tears were hanging at the corner of her eyes. It was too funny.. his expressions are too hilarious.

As it was an addictive disease, Yonghwa too was laughing despite their distance.. His heart was doing somersault as he witnessed the overjoy Seohyun. A truly genuine laughter of her that he deeply missed with all his heart. How she leaned her head back, fanning herself.. disturbing the retouching makeup process by her staffs as she flails around trying to control her laughter. Her infectious giggling are like angel sounds on his ear as he followed her into the laughter land.

The staffs were trying to find the reason for her unending laughter so they took noticed of the frequent glances Seohyun has been throwing at the other tent.

“He was laughing too!” They muttered, as their mouth was slightly parted with shock.

“Why are they laughing?”

“I don’t mind.. they look so couple-ish.. It’s cute!” The set assistant let out a fangirl screamed as they keep hitting on each other body parts trying to convey their excitement the way that girls knew the best.

To Hyun,

Stop laughing cutie.. or I will arrest you for stopping my heart. :3

Seohyun laughter is only turning worse with his text, she tried to hold it in and it took her a while before she calmed herself down. She gave him a ‘slashing the neck’ gesture that she learned from her Yuri unnie from afar as she glared at him.

Yonghwa was amused and about to reply to her gesture when he received a text from her.

To Yong oppa,

Stop it oppa, I can’t concentrate.

To Hyun,

Coffee, after my parts are done?

Seohyun was about to text in an okay when she noticed a familiar companion of Yonghwa stopping by with packs of coffee that she clearly bought from some coffee shop.

She was Hee Joo. The same girl that she met after the confirmation was met with the PD to costar with Yonghwa in the drama.. and the same girl he was with years ago when she was drinking at the same coffee shop as them.

Hee Joo jumped excitedly trying to greet the oblivious Yonghwa who was still waiting for her response on his phone. She felt a throbbing pain on her heart seeing the scene that was occurring in front of her. She bitterly smiled to herself as she darted her gaze away from it and tried to focus on the scripts instead. It wasn’t a fruitful action because her mind wasn’t on the script at all, thinking about their ‘oh so happy’ conversation at the other side.

“Hyun?” Yonghwa gently acquired her attention when she was secretly eyeing his ‘new’ companion standing among the crew trying to see how the filming process was conducted.

“Hmm..”

“You didn’t reply my text.”

“She bought you a coffee so I don’t think a coffee outing is needed anymore.”

“Are you jealous Hyun?”

She gave him a tight lipped smile as she shook her head.

“Okay guys, get ready.. Yonghwa and Seohyun start hugging each other will you?” PD Pyo Min Soo screamed from his director seat.

Hee Joo was looking at them intently, wanting to stop them from doing so but she knows better than to actually stop them when they are clearly just working despite what Yonghwa just told her before.

“You look pretty.. and you smell good too.” Yonghwa whispered huskily at her right ear as he lightly graze his lips with her ear. “I was thinking that I still want to go out for some coffee. What do you say?”

“Busyy..” She answered flatly despite feeling all the butterflies floating away in her stomach.. The tingling sensation just won’t go away when it comes to Yonghwa no matter how mad she is.

“Hyun~ She’s nothing to me.. She’s just a great friend.”

“I know, you don’t have to explain to me. It’s not like I have any right on you.” Seohyun’s tone was clearly gloomy. Yonghwa was about to argue when the PD shouted “ACTION!”

“Please Yoorim ahh.. Saranghanda.. I said I love you! Why won’t you understand my heart?” Seju cupped her cheeks and tried to make Yoorim look at him.

“If you love me? Why don’t you tell me before? Why now? Why now? When I’m so incapable of loving?”

“Let’s make our act real Yoorim.. They don’t need to know the truth.”

“Cut! Excellent job Yonghwa and Seohyun. Keep it up.”

It was at that moment that Hee Joo realized no matter what’s going on with their personal life’, they still act their heart out of the drama. Hee Joo just stood there, seeing those longing glances Yonghwa has been throwing the quiet Seohyun. She needed to talk to Seohyun.

“Hee Joo, remember.. Seohyun.. I love her.” Yonghwa said gently at the determined Hee Joo who was forcing him to introduce her to Seohyun.

“This is Seohyun..” Yonghwa glanced worriedly at the two figures.

“Annyeonghaeseyo Seohyun sshi.”

“Annyeonghaeseyo Hee Joo sshi.”

“This would be the first time we probably talk right?”

“Ne.”

“I wanted to talk with you.”

Yonghwa was about to say something but was cut off by Hee Joo. “It’s important for us to be alone.”

“Okay, but I need to finish up with one last scene.”

“Hyun~” Yonghwa held her wrist worryingly. He was shaking his head in protest, not preferring her to go.

“Let’s meet some other time, oppa.”

“Some other time?! What if there weren’t anymore ‘some other’.” Yonghwa suddenly burst out. Hee Joo looked at the angered Yonghwa besides her in shock. She never saw his angry side but the woman in front of him was composed and calm. Hee Joo doesn’t understand why there might not be some other time, she wanted to ask him but Yonghwa never wanted to tell her anything regarding his precious Seohyun. Seohyun was like an absolute enigma to Hee Joo.

“I want to go, oppa. Ne?” Seohyun curved a gentle smile and Yonghwa eyes turned gentle at the sight of it.

Hee Joo could clearly see how Seohyun got Yonghwa wrapped around her fingers and she doesn’t like the feeling at all.

***

Hee Joo watched as Seohyun who was still wearing the same clothes as her character does in the drama strutted her way to the table beside the window where she was seated at. She couldn’t help but felt jealous at the girl. Well, every single girl in the café was as they stared at the figure.. jaw hanging and all.

“Annyeonghaeseyo..” Seohyun greeted, her eyes are still roaming around the shop making sure no suspicious people around.

“Don’t worry its private enough. I used Yonghwa’s oppa reservation.. I’ve experienced with stars so I know what I need to do.”

Seohyun grew tensed. Hee Joo has been pretty direct trying to insinuate her and Yonghwa closeness.

“I will get straight to the point. I like Yonghwa.” Hee Joo face turned serious.

“I know.” Seohyun said calmly nodding her head though deeply her heart was breaking to pieces. After it broke, she felt her heart was being stepped on repeatedly.

“I’ve been pretty direct with him about that too.” Hee Joo said again trying to read Seohyun expression but she got nothing from the composed woman sitting in front of her. “We’ve met before too right? Two times, if I was not mistaken.”

“Actually, lots of times.” Seohyun chuckled leaving Hee Joo frowning at her weird behavior.

“What do you mean?”

“I’ve seen you around. Not necessarily with Yonghwa oppa though.”

“I too, have seen you around. On television and stuffs.” Hee Joo mumbled..

‘And on Yonghwa’s phone too..’ Was what she would say if she doesn’t have any feelings for Yonghwa.

“It must be great.. you are a star. The same as Yonghwa so it’s easier to always be closed with him.. That’s why you think you can play around with his heart don’t you?” She knew she was being judgemental towards the so-called ‘innocent girl’ but she was pissed off by her demeanor. She was composed.. How could she be as composed at that when she was meeting a rival? How could she?!

Seohyun stayed silent..

“Stop playing with him okay? I heard you already have someone.”

Seohyun smiled after hearing what Hee Joo said, but still she remained unresponsive willing to take a couple of blows because she deserved it.

“Why are you making him your toy? You dumped him and get together with him like a flick of a switch. You know fully well what kind of pain you inflicted on him.”

“We’re never together so I don’t get the dumping part.. and we’re not together now either too.” Seohyun said calmly sipping the coffee in front of her.

“What are you trying to say?”

“I’m not saying anything.”

Hee Joo sighed frustratingly at the girl in front of her. “You’re so fake you know that?”

Seohyun curved a tight lipped smile, not defending herself again.

“Why aren’t you saying anything?” “

“I deserved it.” Seohyun answered plainly.

“I will take it as you offer a truce and going to let him go from your manipulative ways.”

 “I love him too.” Seohyun said carefully likes the words were about to break if she said it wrongly.

“Then stop making him suffer!” Hee Joo half shouted as she smashed the table with her palms. “I will get him, I don’t care if he’s still so stupidly in love with you! I’ve been there for him every single damn time. It sounded pathetic yes but its better than the girl who left him alone despite saying she loves him!”

Seohyun stayed there, her eyes were looking at Hee Joo with unspoken sorrow. 

Was this how Yonghwa felt when he was waiting for her? No it’s not a was.. it kept going until now.

Hee Joo was about to storm off from the table when she stopped and sat again at the table. A few lines of wrinkles were formed on her forehead.

“Why don’t you answer me back when I talk to you Seo Joohyun sshi?” Hee Joo fist was tightened as she clenched her jaw… withholding her outburst.

“Why can’t I BE SELFISH FOR ONCE?! WHY!?” Seohyun calmness was crumbling… her eyes was blazing as the tears showed the unfairness she’s been keeping inside of her for such a long time. “Is it wrong for me to just want him by my side!? I PUSHED HIM! I DID! But what can I do when he kept coming back!? How can you push someone you love when he loves you back!? How can I did that when I longed for him to hold me!? Just once, I wanted to love him without thinking… why can’t i? Why?” She asked… her eyes were desperate for answers as she looked at Hee Joo.

Hee Joo was beyond surprise with Seohyun sudden changed. Thankfully, they were in a private room.

“I-I.. What are you talking about?” Hee Joo stammered.

“You don’t need to insult me… I know how terrible I am to him. You don’t need my answers because you won’t hear me out and its true anyways. Yes I’m not that innocent. How can’t I not be one when this world is corrupted! You told me you’re jealous of me for being a star? Please don’t.. you will feel dirty with yourself.” Seohyun tried to control her shaking hands by trying to even her breath as she held her hands together. Trying to stop them from their trembling streak.

“I didn’t meant it.. Y-you were so calm… and relax. I-I..” Hee Joo looked at Seohyun worryingly, before she saw her as this high and mighty figure that was so unreachable but this girl in front of her was beyond broken. Seohyun’s eyes spoke nothing but the nightmares that she has seen and experienced. Was this the stuff that Yonghwa said to her regarding Seohyun’s past. That she’s been through a whole lot more than anyone can imagine.

“I’m sorry.” Seohyun muttered, her body was still shaking. “You must know this, I can’t stop you from approaching Yonghwa. It’s your right but stop if you think you’ve done enough. It must have hurt to wait for someone like that.” Seohyun spoke gently.

Hee Joo can’t understand how can Seohyun thinks of her position. How can she hates her now when she’s being all nice to her.

“Sorry for suddenly raising my voice too.”

“Seohyun sshi.. wait.”

Seohyun stood up and walked away

Hee Joo stood there following Seohyun in a hurry. She was afraid of the slightly younger girl than her staying alone in her state. Hee Joo watched in horror as she saw how Seohyun tried to balance her steps by grabbing every single thing she can find on the street.

“Seohyun sshi. Geez! I’ve been calling you since forever.” Hee Joo held her wrist worryingly. “Calm down. I won’t be that dumb to wait for him that long.. he’s the only dumb one here but I guess there must be a reason behind it and I can’t see any of the reason during our talk that’s why I was livid. Is this the woman he has been so hung up for? You seemed trouble but I don’t think you could live properly without him either. So be selfish Seohyun sshi. Be selfish.” Hee Joo ensured the weak younger girl before helping her getting into her company van. Making sure that the manager knows of her condition.

Hee Joo dialed Yonghwa number right after seeing her off. “Yonghwa.. I’m sorry.”

“Why.. what’s with Joohyun?”

“Is she not well Yonghwa yaa?”

“Tell me.. What’s with Joohyun?”

“You tell me first.”

“She’s well now.”

“She doesn’t look all that stable before.”

Yonghwa cursed to himself as he hung up on the phone almost immediately. That freaking guy effect was still there and he will help her erased the last remaining disgusting memories of his corrupting and possessive ways by himself. It was his promise to her and to himself.

 

 

Author's Note

Long updateeee. Because i haven't update for quite a while. Writing block has taken its toll on me so i reread this fic on my past time and got into the feels for the first 4 chapters. It reminded me why i'm so in love with this fic at the first place. Some time even more so than Arrogant Stranger. It was light at first and then it grew heavier at the end.. i'm sorry but this was needed. She can't be all that happy after what she's been through right but be rest assured Yonghwa is by her side now. ^^