Appearances

Inequality

Inequality

Chapter 8 – Appearances

 

Akari-sshi,” Lay spoke up. Akari didn't look up, and he continued regardless if she was paying attention or not, “You don't need to speak if you don't want to.”

 

Akari shook her head subtly, and she muttered, “Why am I still alive?”

 

All six of them looked at her alarmed, but nothing else was heard. The room was silent and they were all frozen in place, unwilling to move. It hurt far too much to remember the past.

 

It's been two years, I've escaped looking back for two years... I know that, that's why I want to avoid it. But I can't, it's part of me. And nothing I do will ever get rid of that fact. You can't avoid it, master.

 

Akari froze. She hadn't heard that voice for four years. It had kept quiet for four years. Why did it come back now?!

 

She began trembling, shivering on the spot. Akari didn't want to face it. She had counted the deaths before, but reality never hit until she realized it, saw it for her own eyes, how people outside weren't as caring as those who went through the same hell as she did.

 

They'll never understand me. They'll never come to accept me. Akari shook her head and she mumbled, “There's no reason to exist anymore.”

 

I was a tool, used and worn out, and then tossed aside. I don't care anymore. I don't.

 

However, her words were proven to be wrong.

 

Suddenly the siren began screeching and she covered her ears in an attempt to dispel the sound. The boys looked about frantically and a voice boomed, “Clovis' men are within a 200 km radius. I repeat, Clovis' men are within a 200 km radius.”

 

From the hide out?!” Kris shouted out as he immediately left the room. The badges were glowing slightly and the voice affirmed it, “Yes. The girl.. they're probably after the girl.”

 

Akari looked up. The vision of the five boys and their obvious concern in their eyes towards her was enough for her to pause and reconsider her previous thoughts.

 

They care about me.. and for some reason I to them.

 

The five boys were distraught. They had only just found her, what were they supposed to do if they lost Akari, their strongest combative power?

 

Akari blinked her stray tears away, rubbing her face and pulling the hoodie over to cover her face as her hair fell over her eyes. Chen noticed it though, and that familiar pang in his chest reappeared.

 

They're after Akari,” Luhan mumbled softly. Akari glanced at him and she gazed at them warily and she mumbled, “Maybe I'm not useless yet.”

 

She glanced towards Luhan and asked, “Will you be able to track me if I connected with you?”

 

Luhan's eyes widened and he hesitated, but nodded. Akari didn't say anything, but she stood up and walked toward him before gently placing her lips on his. It wasn't even a second, that the two had connected, and Luhan stumbled backwards after she broke away. The other four boys looked at her in surprise and she mumbled, “Let me trust in my comrades once more.”

 

She teleported out of the house before looking around for Kris. As soon as she spotted him she flew over to him, gliding effortlessly in the air.

 

Akari?” he asked, surprised. Akari nodded and she said, “Don't go out there, not yet.”

 

But then-”

 

Trust me on this, it's better if I appear first.”

 

We can't afford them to know we're here Akari!” he hissed. She glanced over to him, perhaps he wasn't as cool-headed as she had assumed. He sighed as he met her eyes and he nodded in submission.

 

Akari thanked him mentally before willing herself to remember the scenery, the exact place, the air, the wind that gently played with her hair; that was just above them. Upon fabricating the picture, she teleported over to that spot.

 

200 km was not a lot, and it definitely wasn't enough time for Akari to handle it on her own. Especially with the consideration she's rusty. However, at a second glance from sky view, the amount of men were small, and they were probably fresh.

 

They are fresh, don't you feel it in their bloods? They won't live past today. Akari heard its voice and she pushed it away. Shut up.

 

The voice laughed softly and it responded, Let me taste blood again Akari-ah. As you are my master...

 

Akari shook her head and suddenly, the attention from below shifted to her, and she felt it, they had finally noticed her.

 

The army almost paused as they just stared at her from afar in awe. She was barely visible to them from their distance. Just a floating white blob with a spot of dark brown. The commander stopped them from advancing and immediately, she felt a connection with Luhan.

 

Akari-sshi?

 

Right here, they've spotted me. Akari responded. She looked at them and she smiled, the blood lust within her was itching to fight again, and Luhan visibly shivered. Direct mental connections scared him the most. Within a direct connection, you could completely feel the other's emotions and thoughts, whether or not they wanted to show them all.

 

Food, Akari-ah! Feed me, spoil me. Let me protect you again. Let me fight for you again. Allow me. Give me permission master. The voice inside pleaded. Luhan was shocked at it, and so were the others. Luhan had directly connected all 7 of them together and the voice seemed to have sensed the other six and it cackled. Humans, how easily manipulated they are, unable to control their-

 

She snapped the connection off and screamed at it, Shut up!

 

Your wish is my command Master Akari.. but remember, you are only alive because of me. Akari scoffed and responded, And you to me.

 

Luhan hyung! Hyung!” Chen shouted as Luhan held his head in his hands. He shook himself slightly and he managed to say, “That is by far the most evil presence I have ever felt in my life.”

 

What was that?” Lay mumbled. He was confused, but that voice sounded so distorted, so deformed.

 

Akari...” Tao mumbled, he glanced at the floor and he continued, “I hope she's okay.”

 

She sighed as Akari felt herself transform again, into that ugly being of complete destruction. Let the metal protect you.. Let me protect you master. Akari shook her head and yet she felt it cover her completely, molding to her body in a thin layer, almost like a second skin, just leaving her head bare. The metal stopped as soon as it reached her cheeks, forming a slight mask over and nose, but still giving her room to breath.

 

After feeling completely covered, Akari looked down, only to see the army rushing straight at her in full speed.

 

Tire yourselves out and make my life easier. Akari sighed and her wings flashed open, the light reflecting off the metal, causing it to gleam and flicker in the sunlight. Akari was about to head down until she looked around, checking her surroundings once more, only to be in shock to see Kris gliding towards her, a camera in his hands.

 

Before you yell at me,” Kris blurts out, “Let me do this.”

 

Akari frowned and she looked back to the army and she mumbled, “Promise me you won't get yourself killed?”

 

Kris smirked and he said, “What, you worried?”

 

Akari shook your head and frowned, not that he could see of course, and she scoffed, “Whatever.”

 

Her lithe form shot forward, heading towards to meet the battlefield. It will be bloody, it will be heartless, but she had to. For their sake. Blood..and a familiar one. Yes. There are brethren here. Brethren.

 

Akari closed her eyes and she prayed to whatever God still existed in this deformed world even though she knew deep down inside it was futile.

 

Please.. let me control myself from losing it.