How?

Inequality

Inequality

Chapter 26 – How?

 

Chen walked around aimlessly as he thought back to what Dongjun said. He sighed, This is much more complicated than expected. Me? Become the newwielder of Negation? ... If only Dongjun didn't get that injury, I wouldn't have to worryso much about this. But, still Akari is...

 

"I can hear you from there Chen." Dongjun called out softly. Chen looked at him in surprise and mumbled, "Sorry."

 

It took Chen a moment to realize though that he wasn't speaking aloud and he asked, "Wait, what the heck?"

 

"Negation has its quirks. Listening in on thoughts seems to be one of them."

 

Chen walked up to Dongjun and asked, "How are you so calm about this?"

 

Dongjun shook his head, "Me? Calm? Not at all. If anything I'm a swirl of emotions right now, I've just learned to hold it all in."

 

This time, it was Chen who shook his head and he asked, "How?"

 

Dongjun glanced up at him and Chen continued, "How can you be so calm despite knowing that you're about to die? How can you keep your composure up?"

 

The other male looked away, a small smile was apparent on his face and Chen, for some reason or another, felt frustration at this other man. Although this person was the one that probably was in love with the same person he was, he was still frustrated by the whole situation.

 

Why did you choose me?

 

"Why did I choose you?" Dongjun echoed. Chen nodded, it was pointless trying to hide his thoughts from the Negation wielder. Dongjun sighed, "I told you, didn't I? We're two sides of the same coin. Except your future has a better ending than mine."

 

"Not if Akari chooses you over me."

 

Dongjun's lips twitched into a smirk and he asked, "That's not the only thing bothering you is it?"

 

Chen shook his head and mumbled, "It is a huge chunk though. But..." His voice died down and he mumbled, "Will I be able to live up to your legacy? Will I be able to carry that burden you hold?"

 

Dongjun shrugged, he didn't have an answer either. But that fond smile of his was there again and Dongjun said, "You have time."

 

Chen winced and he cringed away, "But you don't! You don't..."

 

Dongjun stood up and gently placed a hand on the other male's shoulder, "you'll be fine."

 

"No I won't."

 

"You have to believe Jongdae-ah."

 

Chen lowered his gaze to the ground and he mumbled, "I don't know what to believe in. I don't have the leadership skills like Kris hyung. I'm not a good tactician like Luhan hyung and Tao. I can't even be a front line attacker like Xiumin hyung... I... I..."

 

Chen fell silent and Dongjun said, "You're not useless. Nor are you hopeless. There is a reason why the 6 of you have the positions you have."

 

"Because I barely managed to be useful in combat."

 

Dongjun sighed. Chen wasn't just conflicted about the whole transfer, but also because of the whole issue of their situation as a whole. Chen looked down and he mumbled, "Please."

 

Dongjun nodded and walked away, leaving the boy to think over everything. He sighed, he was just as conflicted, considering he wasn't emotionally or physically prepared to leave the two little ones and Akari.

 

Akari... Dongjun closed his eyes as he felt the wind gently embrace him, How am Igoing to tell you that I won't be there for you anymore? How am I supposed to tellyou to let me go just so you can stay safe? Dongjun shook his head and he sighed,I don't want to let you go. Not now, not ever, but if... No. Since I have to, I'd rather letyou go knowing there's someone who can replace the gap that I'll leave in yourheart.

 

*****

 

Akari has been wandering around aimlessly at Luhan's garden ever since she woke up, and she sighed. Everyone left me here. She pouted and began to wander around, only to realize she has left the boundaries of Luhan's garden and she noticed Chen sitting just a little distance away.

 

Chen!”

 

Chen looked up in surprise, he didn't even have to look and he already recognized that voice. Akari. His gaze met hers, and her smile dropped from her face as soon as she saw how. . . devastated the boy looked. She ran up to him as he continued sitting on the stone bench. His head was lowered to the ground, refusing to meet her gaze despite her attempts and she asked, “Did something happen?”

 

Chen shook his head and he said, “Nothing happened.”

 

Akari frowned and she sat down beside him and Chen mumbled, “How are you able to smile Akari?”

 

Eh?”

 

Doesn't it hurt..? Aren't you lonely?”

 

A soft smile formed on her face and she said, “Yes, but I'm not alone.”

 

Chen looked up and his gaze was fixated on the lone cherry blossom tree that stood tall and proud in front of them and he shook his head, as though he didn't understand. And it was true, he couldn't. If I was in Dongjun's position, I wouldn't give up the love of my life to some person I just met recently. How does he have that kind of confidence that I'll take care of her? That I'll love Akari as much as he does right now? I don't even have the faith that I love her. It's only infatuation and attraction... isn't it?

 

Chen Chen,” Akari called out softly. Her eyes were the softest and warmest hue of brown and she mumbled, “Whatever it is on your mind, you know you have us to rely on right?”

 

He froze and he looked at her and she gave him a small smile, “That's how I'm still able to smile.”

 

She looked away wistfully, gazing at the cherry blossom and she said, “Although I've lost almost everything, and there's only Dongjun oppa, Taehyungie, and Kookie left... I'm alive. And I found hope.” At the final phrase, she glanced at him, and Chen felt that suffocating feeling, as though his heart was being torn in two and he asked again, “But how? How do you still believe? How are you so certain that there can be hope?”

 

Because I'll make it happen.”

 

He lifted his head and Akari saw it, the tears in his eyes, and she gently cupped one side of his face and she softly whispered, “Nothing's over until our lives end... We have our entire life to make a difference, even if it's a small change. Remember, a ripple in the water can cause a domino effect. Everything can change if one person sets it into motion. That's why, I have hope for our future.”

 

Chen blinked, and a lone tear slid down his cheeks and Akari swiftly, but gently, wiped it away and she continued, “I don't know what's bothering you, but remember... you have a choice in life to face reality, or you can run away. No matter what your choice is... there are people who won't accept it, and there are those who will support you no matter what. You just have to find them.”

 

She gave him a bright smile, “I'll always be here for you, just like you have been for me. When I first came here, you were the one to help me get adapted to this new life. That's why... let me be someone you can rely on as well.”

 

Chen didn't look at her, but he rested his head on her shoulder, taking her by surprise and she squeaked, “C-Chen?”

 

Let me stay here, just for a bit.”

 

She nodded and he mumbled, “I don't know how you two do it.”

 

Akari didn't speak, she wasn't quite sure who he was talking about, and Chen continued, “You're both amazing... You've seen countless of your loved ones lost to battle, you were forced to fight against your own people... and yet both of you still go on with life. Both of you are still going on, despite knowing that the chances are slim. I don't know how you guys do it.”

 

He must be talking about Dongjun oppa... and I. Akari gently rubbed soothing circles on his back and Chen sighed. I can't live up to them. I can't replace Dongjun for Akari.

 

A/N: Sorry I took so long. LOL. There was a writer's block, but brain juice has been flowing like a river recently, so all is well. :D Also, PLEASE TO ANYONE WHO CAN MAKE POSTERS OR A BACKGROUND. I AM CURRENTLY SEARCHING FOR A NEW POSTER FOR THIS STORY. And a background, if that's possible. (: If you can, drop/leave a comment, or if you want, message me personally. I'd greatly appreciate it! And just to let you guys know now for future updates, it looks like Inequality might have a sequel. I say might because... well... I don't know how I feel about it yet. Haha. (: Anyways, if you guys know anyone who can make posters/backgrounds, or you can do it yourself, please please please please please tell me. <3