Farewell

Inequality

Inequality

Chapter 40 – Farewell


Akari and Jungkook walked up to the very top and the center of the laboratory, where the Core Stone stood... or floated. It was a gigantic teal translucent crystal, almost the size of a one story house and it was caged in between pillars of gold and silver and bronze.

 

Jungkook and Akari looked at it in awe and Akari mumbled, “This is it.”

 

This will be... my last deed before I go away for a while.”

 

Noona..?”

 

Akari turned around and gave him a small smile before giving him a tight hug. Jungkook responded back equally and he mumbled, “Do you have to?”

 

She nodded her head and Jungkook mumbled, “But what do you mean go away for a while... will you be back?”

 

I don't know Kookie. It's risky.”

 

Jungkook felt the tears slide down his face and Akari softly mumbled, “Hey Kookie.”

 

He looked up and he saw the sadness in her eyes, but also the love, just like the first time they met, when she saved him from being killed off because they thought he was a failure.

 

"Promise me something Kookie-ah." Akari's smile was sad and Jungkook managed to choke out despite the tears, "W-What?"

 

"Right after I activate the True Awakening... Can you erase everyone's memories of the powers that exist?"

 

"Huh...?"

 

"Please. Erase them of the memories of Abilities, or Powers."

 

Jungkook wanted to shake his head, he wanted to say no, but he had already swore he'd be on her side no matter what and he asked, "Why?"

 

Akari smiled softly and she gently ruffled his hair and the sob escaped Jungkook's throat and she whispered, "To ease their pain."

 

"Their?"

 

Akari merely nodded and she pushed him away into the safety dimensional tunnel she had forced the rest of them to go in and she mumbled, "I'll miss you."

 

"Akari noona...?" His soft cry fell on death ears as the dimension shut on him and he was sent to another area where the rest of the Exo hyungs and Dongjun and V was waiting.

 

Akari sighed as the dimension portal closed momentarily and she mumbled, “Thanks Myungsoo.”

 

She stepped up to the Core Stone and she felt a cold shiver go down her spine and she mumbled, “True Awakening...”

 

It only occurs when both members of the parties agree to the usage of the full strength and power available to them, and when they have the utmost trust within each other,” Akari and J echoed each other. The Wings on Akari's back glimmered brightly and shook with intensity until they separated from Akari and there stood J, in her physical form, a younger version of Akari.

 

J looked up, her eyes that familiar golden hue that they all have come familiar with and J asked, “Are you sure about this...?”

 

Akari nodded and J sighed and she mumbled, “I don't like seeing you in that form, as much as I want to live, I don't think this is worth it. What if I fail you?”

 

I trust you.” Akari repeated, she frowned slightly and asked, “What's wrong with how I look?”

 

Akari's hair was the original sleek, long black it was years ago, the two fluffy ears on the top of her head was gone. On her back, where there were once Wings, was just a bunch of metallic shards. Her eyes were silver orbs and J softly mumbled, “It's like you gave me more of your spirit than you should have.”

 

Akari smiled and she said, “That's the whole point. Remember?”

 

J sighed, “I miss the days when you used to be snappy and bipolar.”

 

There was laughter from the both of them and J mumbled, “What if they freak out when they see me?”

 

Uh,” Akari paused and she mumbled, “They'll freak out regardless. I mean, you look exactly like me.”

 

J grumbled, “I'm a part of you, what the hell do you expect?!”

 

Akari laughed again and she said, “Are you ready?”

 

J shook her head and she mumbled, “How am I supposed to digest all those powers within a day?”

 

Take as long as you need J, I'm sure you'll wake up sooner or later. Just... be sooner rather than later, yeah?”

 

J sighed and she mumbled, “Fine. You promised.”

 

I know. You better keep yours too.”

 

J narrowed her eyes at her and smirked, “As long as you better keep yours. Or I won't ever forgive you.”

 

Akari nodded and J mumbled, “For world peace.”

 

Akari and J held out their hands, with only a centimeter away from the stone and at a nod, both of them placed it against the stone and Akari mumbled, “Here we go.”

 

*****

“Did you feel that?” Jungkook asked them. They nodded and Dongjun hesitantly tested it out and he held his hand out and he mumbled, “But mine is still here.”

 

So is mine..”

 

Mine as well.”

 

There were soft choruses of agreement and Jungkook mumbled, “Why is it just us.. Did you have a reason noona?”

 

There was a soft rumbling and everyone held onto each other tightly before they felt an overwhelming pressure practically swallow them, and then spit them back out, as though it was a vacuum. From the group of nine, Dongjun was the first one to stand up, and the only word they heard was Akari's name.

 

Dongjun opened his eyes, and upon regaining vision, he saw Akari on the floor by the pedestal. He let go of the rest of them, leaving them to fumble on their own as he gently scooped the fading Akari up and he softly called her name, “Akari... Akari... Look at me Akari, please.”

 

He gently swept her black hair away from her eyes carefully as her brown eyes gently fluttered open, and he could see that despite looking perfectly healthy, her energy was slowly fading away like L did and she gave him a soft smile and she mumbled, “It worked.”

 

Dongjun couldn't speak as his throat was clogged by tears. The others also couldn't as they watched their fierce and strong, yet also sensitive and delicate Akari fade away slowly, the light had already reached her knees and she gently placed a hand against his cheek and wiped away a tear, “Don't cry Dongjun oppa... I'm supposed to be the cry baby, remember?”

 

Pabo.”

 

Her eyes slowly and gently swept over the group and as she made eye contact with each one, they all held back their tears and she mumbled, “Did it work?”

 

Luhan nodded and he hoarsely replied, “The people back at the base are panicking because they suddenly can't use their powers... Akari...”

 

I'm glad.”

 

Her voice was soft, and gentle, nothing like the sassy and strong confident voice she once had. Her eyes lingered on Chen for a moment before he broke away first and she looked at Jungkook and he ran over to her side as V stood there numbly and he mumbled, “Noona.”

 

Kookie-ah... if you can... please remember to clear their memories.”

 

Jungkook nodded and he stood up, although tears lined his cheeks, and he gently placed his hand on the stone and he felt the overwhelming power seeping in and mingling with his and he closed his eyes as he fulfilled his promise.

 

There was a soft sigh and Akari murmured, “It actually worked...”

 

She closed her eyes and a small breath escaped her lips and she whispered, “Please.. take care of J.”

 

Akari,” Dongjun whispered and he mumbled, “I can still save you. If I just..”

 

She shook her head, and her fingers gently his cheek and she replied, her voice almost gone now, “Don't... Stay alive for me. Please.”

 

Dongjun's eyes widened and he promised, “I will. Because...”

 

I know.”

 

He held her close and suddenly he felt the warmth in her hand fade away as the light finally caught up to her and Chen shouted, “I won't replace you!”

 

Akari barely managed to glance over to him in time, his expression determined and tears were staining his cheeks.

 

Thank you Jongdae... She shuddered a small breath, and closed her eyes. … Don't forget about me... please.

 

A small smile graced her features before she disappeared with the light and everyone went numb as the light blinded them. Whether it was the light from Jungkook finally accomplishing his promise, or from Akari finally fading away, the result was clear... Akari was gone, and she only left behind one person, only one legacy: J.

 

Author's Note: I HAVE COMPLETED THIS STORY. FINALLY. So then like, the ending was originally 8 pages (I know what the heck), but I cut it to 5, how? Because the last half after I put “Akari finally fading away” was pretty much build ups to Memories, the sequel to this story (link is below!).

 

To all my lovely readers who have supported me throughout this whole thing, please continue to do so if you love this series, if not... then.. well.. that's okay too. ;A; I can't even explain how much I love you guys for your overwhelming support, and this is the first time I'm doing a sequel of anything. ROFL. But this story needs it, and I like the plot. I absolutely do. x) So, please please please. Love this story, leave a comment on how you think I did, upvote it if you really did love it, and overall, just love it. ROFL. Thanks guys!

 

InequalityMemories