Chapter 16

My True Self

CHANYEOL's POV

I hadn't noticed that I was much happie now. I hadn't touched my little cutting knives for ages, nor had I needed to put on my facade. It all came naturally now. I was genuinely happy. Opening the front door of my house, I wiped my feet and slipped my shoes off. As my mother passed by, she eyed me, but it was no longer a pain. I had somebody who loved me, and that somebody was Byun Baekhyun.

 

BAEKHYUN'S POV

I had never loved anybody more, That moment when Chanyeol eyed me to say we were a couple, made me so happy. I couldn't believe we tried to keep it from each other.

It was the end of yet another school day. Chanyeol and I sat at the school entrance on a wooden bench. He had his arm around me and I made myself comfortable by resting my head on his shoulder. I sighed.

"I'm sorry for........ being so secretive with you," I muttered.

He laughed as he the side of my face with the back of his hand.

"Think about me. I kept my whole life from you for, who knows how long?" He said.

I smiled. He always made me smile.

"Let's promise to tell each other everything, okay?" I asked, as I sat up. 

He nodded. "I promise," he said as he pulled me in and kissed me on the lips. It lasted for about 3 seconds before we both pulled away and stood up. 

"See you tomorrow," I said.

Chanyeol nodded in return, as he left for home. As for me, I had to go grocery shopping. It couldn't get any more boring than that.

 

CHANYEOL'S POV

Life is on repeat everyday. You get up to go to school, come home and sleep again. But everybody goes through the same thing, so I guess its fair. The clock hit 6 a.m, and I had already gotten up. I could hear the birds chirping in the distance. Removing my pyjamas, I slowly got dressed into my school uniform. The scars from my old cuttings were practically gone now.

 

Slinging my backpack over my back, I walked downstairs, ready to go. Grabbing a banana on the way out, I waved a mental goodbye to my mother, father and Kris, and closed the front door. Walking at my ordinary pace, I looked down at the banana. The skin was fresh and smooth, reminding me of my recovering skin.

As I entered the school, Kim Joon Myun was sticking flyers everywhere on the walls. As I approached one to see what it was about, Joonmyun tapped me on the shoulder. 

"Have a think about it, big guy," he said before smiling and walking off, continuing to stick them around. My gaze followed him until he disappeared around the corner. Then my focus went back to the flyer:

 

SCHOOL VARIETY NIGHT

6pm - 9pm on Friday the 24th May

COME AND BE A PART OF THE SCHOOL'S VARIETY NIGHT!!

SHOWCASE YOUR DANCING, SINGING AND MUSICAL SKILLS!!

There will be food, drinks and plenty of fun!

Auditions: see Mrs Jung anytime this week, and put your name down. Duets, solos and groups all welcome!!

Thanks, the Senior Student Council.

 

I stared at the flyer, before pulling it off the wall. I believed that my guitar skills and Baekhyun's angelic singing would be a good entertainer.

************************************

At recess, I found Baekhyun sitting under a tree, his back towards me. As I approached him, I realised that we was reading a book, while constantly rubbing his eyes. Hoping to surprise me, I gave him a sudden backhug as I knelt down beside him. "Guess who," I whispered.

"Yah, Park Chanyeol!" he laughed as he turned around and planted a kiss on my forehead. I sat down next to him, as he gave out a huge yawn, continuing to rub his eyes.

"Aigoo, I'm a bit tired," He sighed. "I guess I gotta sleep more!" 

I nodded as I pulled out the flyer. 

"Seen this yet?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I've seen people carrying it around but I didn't get a chance to have a good look at it.

"It's about variety night. I... uh just thought maybe you and I could uh... audition?" I said as I instantly looked to the ground, blushing.

I was waiting for the "ARE YOU CRAZY?" to come, but was shocked when Baekhyun looped his arms around my waist and leaned his head on my shoulder. "Of course I'd love to audition! We'd make a great team!" He cheered, before letting out another big yawn. He really needed more sleep and rest. 

As we walked hand in hand to class, I could see Luhan and Kyungsoo doing girly screeches as we passed. They weren't the only happe ones here! I was too.

************************************

School had ended, and Baekhyun and I were going to see Mrs Jung to sign up for auditions for variety night. Holding his hand, we walked through hallways and reached Mrs Jung's classroom. I looked through the little window on the door and found her doing some paper work. 

Knocking lightly, I pulled my head through the door and thinned into the door, still holding Baekhyun. 

"Come in boys," Mrs Jung gestured. 

I hesitated before talking. "uh, Baekhyun and I would like to audition for variety night," I stammered, and look at Baekhyun who smiled back at me.

Mrs Jung's eyes lit up. 

"Ah, I knew this would happen! You two make the perfect duet!" She said, clapping her hands rapidly, before handing us the sign up list.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the names on the list, to see if there was anybody I recognised.

Kim Jong Hyun

Kim Tae Yeon

Choi Jin Ri and Jung Soo Jung

Kim Jong In and Wu Yi Fan

Yoon-

 

Wait, jonging and Kris were a duet?!! My expression dropped. Yes, Kris was a decent rapper and Jongin is known for his dance, but the thought of the two joining up made me shiver.

"What 's the matter?" Mrs Jung questioned.

"Un... uh...I... Nothing," I lied, as I wrote Baekhyun and my name down. 

"Thank you boys! You have a week before the auditions and two weeks before the night, and since I'm going off work now, I give you permission to use the room now. Just lock the doors before leaving, okay?" She smiled as she handed us a set of keys and said goodbye.

Baekhyun and I were alone in the room now. "I have to go to the bathroom," I said. "I have something to tell you when I get back."

 

BAEKHYUN'S POV

I was left alone in the music room while Chanyeol was at the bathroom. Feeling the need to start, I sat at the piano and started singing 'Baby don't Cry'. We hadn't decided in out song yet. Halfway through the song, the door creaked open. It was probably Chanyeol. "Yeollie, we have to decide-" I stopped when I realised it wasn't Chanyeol, but Jongin with Kris.

I THOUGHT THEY DECIDED TO LEAVE US ALONE.

"I see you're auditioning for the variety night heh?" Kris sneered.

"Is that a problem?" I stood up. 

"You see, variety night wants, well good singers, not, terrible ones", Jongin retorted, eyeing me up and down.

"Hey, I've been singing my whole life!" I defended.

"Yeah, for your sick Grandpa and Dad, out in the streets," he jeered.

"It's called love, which you certainly don't have!!

He laughed. "Who needs love? All I LOVE is the memory of you shivering from the cold still trying to get that voice out. Ha! What  loser!"

"I LOVED my Grandpa and Dad! They gave me everything I needed to be happy!" I said, my vision blurring from tears.

"Well, I'd LOVE to see your loser singing out in the cold again some time", he spat, before storming off, followed by Kris, who began to on a lollipop.

Memories suddenly came rushing back. That cold Winter's night, when it was below zero degrees celcius. I sat out in the open street, wrapped in my favourite blanket while trying to sing. Although I was almost frozen alive, many friendly people walked by and dropped in some spare change. Soon, I had collected enough money to pay for another dose of medicine for my Grandpa. However, it was too late. The next morning, when my Grandpa passed away, he said his last words to me: "Baekkie, I will always remember your voice, and what you've done for me, okay?" 

By then, the tears were streaming out like small rivers and the whimpering noises I made were uncontrollable.

Burying my face into my hands, I dropped to the floor and continued crying.

 

CHANYEOL'S POV

From the distance, I heard crying. It took me a while to realise it was Baekhyun.  Immediately hurrying, I found him sprawled on the ground, crying his heart out. 

"Oh no, my Baekkie!" I screamed as I sat him up and wrapped my arms around his waist, burying my face into his neck. 

He continued to cry, but I just kept kissing the side of his face, and whispering into is ear, "It will be okay, Baekkie," but I didn't even know what was going on.

 

A/N: Hi awesome peoples! The last few days have been rly hard for me, with Kris' leaving and all. Regarding that, I just want to wish Kris a happy life, and that I will support him wherever he chooses to go. I just don't want SM to replace him or something :(. Anyways, even though Kris is leaving, he will still be in our story, because we can't forget him, right? He's not even that main of a character anyways, so it won't affect much :)

                                                                                                                                                                                   -howtotrainyourkris