o7.

The Inevitable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 7

 

“Ready for your weekly check-up??” Sunkyu chirped as she pulled open the curtains.

Yifan hissed and curled in his personal corner, spitting inaudible death threats to the cheerful nurse.

“Good morning, Sunkyu,” I managed a smile, “so what are our plans for today?”

“Well, first of all, we’ll be having some exercises for your fractured leg,” she propped my arm over her shoulder, guiding me onto a wheelchair, “then after that Doctor Kim will do a check-up on your eye.”

“Sounds like lots of fun,” I murmured under my breath.

Sunkyu simply replied with a sympathetic smile.

I disliked seeing the doctor. Don’t get me wrong; he’s a nice, genuine man, but nonetheless the thought of being sick frightened me.

Sunkyu started pushing my wheelchair, exiting the partition. I nervously looked over to Yifan.

His eyes widened in confusion, unsure of why I was looking at him in that way. “Do...Do you want me to come with you?”

I’d appreciate some company, I nodded.

I bit back at the embarrassing feeling. Had I grown too attached to him that that his presence was able to give me a sense of comfort?

That had probably boosted his giant ego. I took in a deep breath, preparing myself for at least his irritating smirk.

Yifan stood up and walked by me.

The wheels rolled into the main hallway of the hospital. Sunkyu’s soft footsteps were right behind me. People rushed around, telephones rang. My eyes were locked onto Yifan.

He matched his pace with mine, all the time keeping silent and his gaze forward.

For the first time in my whole life, I felt not even a single trace of anxiety.

He made me feel safe.

The leg therapy went well, as it usually did. I could feel that my leg was getting better than before. Yifan leaned his lanky body against the wall, with his arms crossed as he watched over me.

He smiled when our eyes met, “You look like a stupid toddler.”

I rolled my eyes. How could I not see that coming?

Sunkyu brought me for the eye check-up next. I reached for her wrist from my sitting position on the wheelchair, “Will it hurt?” It hurt before.

She gave my hand a gentle squeeze, “Only a little.”

“I’m not a big fan of pain,” I chuckled slowly.

“You’re gonna be fine,” she assured with a light laugh.

“Stop being such a cry baby,” Yifan snorted.

I glared at him, “Shut up.”

“...excuse me?” Sunkyu seemed taken aback. Oops.

I shook my head, “That wasn’t meant for you.”

Luckily, she brushed it off as we entered the doctor’s room. He gave me a warm smile, causing a wave of panic to overtake me.

Sunkyu helped me lay onto what seemed like a dental chair before settling some paperwork with Doctor Kim across the spacious room. I nervously rested my head against the hard cushion. My nails dug into my palms, remembering how much it hurt the previous time I came here.

The lights on the ceiling were blinding, yet I managed to make out Yifan’s facial features as he towered over me. His expression was grim; unreadable. “Don’t leave,” I whispered.

He blinked a few times before our attention was stirred as the doctor approached closer.

Doctor Kim smiled, crests formed on his face, “Close your eyes, Jihae-sshi.”

I did as told. I felt his gloved palms slowly took off the bandage over my left eye.

“Now, slowly, open your eyes.”

 Again, I did as told. Everything was blurry for a while – the lights pierced into my left eye, causing slight discomfort. I blinked it away and scanned the whole room. Being able to see with both eyes had become a luxury to me.

I was glad it didn’t hurt as much as it did before. But my shoulders slumped upon the realization that Yifan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter