1o.

The Inevitable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 10

 

He rested his head on her shoulder. She soothed his hands with hers. She whispered white promises, assuring him that everything was going to be okay. I looked through a small window on the ward door they were sitting across of, seeing how doctors and nurses bustled around the spacious room.

“She’s a strong girl. She’ll get through it, I’m sure.” There was a hint of hesitation in her voice, but the other guy was slightly calmed by her words.

I hated myself for feeling bitter of them. He was going through a hard time after his sister was admitted to the ICU by a sudden severe asthma attack. Jihae was just consoling him. But there I stood wanting nothing else but to pull her away.

It wasn’t jealousy. I’m sure it’s not jealousy. Why would I be jealous?

A doctor walked out of the ward and the two of them stood up abruptly. He had his arm wrapped around Jihae as he helped her to her feet. “How is she, doctor? How’s my Minsung?”

“She’s in a stable condition now,” the doctor smiled in assurance, deep crests forming on his aged face.

Jihae developed the other man into a hug. He hugged her back tightly, whispering thankful wishes religiously against her hair. They were in each other’s arms, and it was as if everything in this world was going to be okay for them.

The doctor told them they were allowed to see Minsung only after an hour. He then turned to go back inside the ward. His shoulder brushed against my arm – no, his shoulder brushed through my arm. I couldn’t help but shudder.

The doctor couldn’t see me. The nurses couldn’t see me. Nobody alive could see me – except for Han Jihae. But as I watched her walk away with Minseok by her side, his arms holding her to balance, it felt like even she couldn’t see me either now.

Minseok was carefully guiding her down the hallway, taking a step at a time. She no longer needed her crutches. All she needed was someone who could take care of her. She’s getting better now. She’s recovering.

And I knew...it’s just a matter of time before she leaves.

 

♂♀

 

“Are you feeling better?” I whispered softly as I sneaked into the partition next to mine.

The little girl grinned and nodded. She sat up and patted a spot on her bed, gesturing for me to sit down. She looked livelier and healthier than she was in the afternoon before. “Eonni,” she giggled cheekily, “I heard that you and Minseok-oppa hugged.”

 I could feel my face heating up at the warm recall. Thankfully, said man had left for work. I sat cross-legged facing her on the single bed. “Have you eaten your medicine?”

“Don’t even try to change the topic,” she retorted with her arm propped up to support her head. A sly smile formed on her cherry lips, beautifying her cute, chubby cheeks. “Oppa has a really warm hug, doesn’t he?”

“Well,” I my teeth and winked, “yes.”

Minsung giggled gleefully in content, “So when are you two getting married?”

I groaned and looked away. “Please, let’s just change the subject right now.”

“No, really,” she pouted, “can’t you just marry him now? It’s so obvious you like him and he likes you more.”

“Minsung, darling, I’ve only known him for a few weeks.”

“Eonni, I really really really want to see my brother’s wedding. If you take too much time to, I probably won’t be around any longer to witness it.”

It was pin-drop silent after she said that. Only the sound of heart monitors acquainted the heavy atmosphere. “Minsung-ah...,” I cleared my throat nervously and forced a smile. “If you eat the medicine the doctor gave you, you’ll be fine.”

She shook her head. “It would help to make me feel slightly better, but I won’t ever recover. I heard the doctor told Minseok-oppa that it’s incurable. The doctor said I’d only have 6 months left to live. But guess what? He said that a year ago. And I’m still here,” she grinned. The dim lights casted shadows on her face, but I could still

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter