o6.

The Inevitable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 6

 

“Why did the chicken cross the road?”

I stared at the man anticipating my response, “Uh...to get to the other side?”

He beamed with a shy smile and handed me another fried sesame chicken, “Bingo!”

“Minseok-oppa, I’m pretty sure everyone knows that joke,” the little girl rolled her eyes, “You’re lame and you should be ashamed of it.”

Minseok had come over to visit Minsung, bringing a huge bucket of fried sesame chicken for the three of us to share. He sat on the provided chair while Minsung sat across of me on the bed in my partition.

I laughed at his flabbergasted expression. Personally, I find his lame jokes really...attractive.

The way he nervously looks away when I caught him staring; the way he rub the back of his neck as he bites his lip; the way he unconsciously puffs his cheeks when he stares into space...

...Kim Minseok is a blessed, wonderful human being.

“You might bore a hole through his face if you keep on staring at him like that.”

It was utterly difficult, but I’d managed to ignore the cranky man constantly spitting out bitter words for the past hour. He stood hunched over the smaller man, a despised look pasted on his face, “He looks like a hamster in my opinion.”

Well your opinion don’t matter, so shut it.

Minseok sighed as he looked at his watch. “I have to get going now. Lunch break’s almost over,” he stood and grabbed his jacket, “you two better finish that. Don’t throw it away, I’ll be heartbroken.”

I smiled, a grumbling giggle threatened to escape my throat. “No problem. Work hard, Minseok-shi.”

“Take care, oppa! Don’t get bullied by your co-workers,” Minsung kissed her brother’s hand.

He scrunched his nose, ruffling the little girl’s hair, “You take care of Jihae-shi, okay?”

I felt my face heat up as he shyly looked away.

“See you two later,” he coughs awkwardly and rushed out.

Minsung grinned at me, “Do you like my brother?”

My eyes widened in surprise, “Well, I—”

“Do you love him?”

“Well ‘love’ would be too much, but—”

“He likes you. I guarantee it.”

I can’t help but grin sheepishly at that.

“Jihae-eonni,” Minsung scooted closer. Her eyes glinted of slight sadness, yet the cheerful smile remained on her face, “when I’m gone, please take care of my oppa.”

 

-

 

“How are you feeling?” Jongdae squeezed my hands, his eyebrows knitted in obvious concern.

“Besides your strong grip on my hands, I’m feeling fine.”

He loosened his grip and slouched by my bed. “When’s your next check-up?”

“The nurse said my next schedule will be on this Thursday.”

“Three days more,” he pursed his lips, “so when will you be discharged from the hospital?”

I rolled my eyes. He can be extremely worried and annoying sometimes – most of the time. “I don’t know for sure. If the doctor thinks I’m fine to go, probably the earliest would be by next week, maybe?” I sighed, “Jongdae-ah, you have to stop wasting your time to come here every day. You have an exam coming up for this semester, don’t you?”

He nodded and slowly let go of my hands.

“I’ll let you know if the doctor says anything. Besides, you can just call me for ‘how-are-yous’.”

 He nodded once more, this time with a heavy sigh.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter