Chapter One

The Lady N

 

[January 4th: Tokyo, Japan]

 

A soft knock echoed through the expanse of the extravagantly decorated, high rise apartment overlooking the scenic night’s sky of Japan’s most legendary city. A voice, soft and clear, yet commanding and authoritative, called back.

 

“Who is it?” it said.

 

A young man, dressed in a black Armani suit, black wingtips, and silver-rimmed glasses, opened the door and hesitantly peeked inside.

 

“Madame?” he questioned.

 

From across the room, a beautiful woman in her late thirties, dressed in sparkling silver heels, a mid-thigh black dress -encrusted with clear silver crystals around the lower hem and neckline, and a wide brim hat delicately trimmed with a silver inlaid black veil that obscured her eyes, stood silently in front of the large clear glass window, gazing at the beautiful skyline before her.

 

“May I come in?” ventured the young man.

 

“You may,” she answered softly with a nod, never taking her eye off the beautiful city.      

 

The young man stepped into the room, and after closing the door quietly behind him, ventured across the expanse of the woman’s private apartment, coming to a stop just a few feet behind her.

 

“Madame,” he started slowly, gripping the hard black folder in his hand “I have the report you asked for.”

 

“Just tell me, Director Choi.” she sighed gently.

 

“Everything is going according to plan,” informed Director Choi. “Everyone is in place and awaiting your orders.”

 

“And the kids?” she questioned as she turned her face to the man, flashing a faint smile from her lushly painted soft pink lips. “How are they doing?”

 

“The triplets are doing well,” he answered with a smile. “Their current activities are being well received, even with the current hindrances being placed on them, and their popularity has continued to grow, steadily, over the last three months –both domestically and internationally."

 

"They are currently ranking in the top five for global popularity. Their current release has sold over a hundred and eighty thousand units –placing as high as first on album sales charts and their title track has been steadily holding onto number one on the popularity charts. And, they are continually garnering fair attention via the news media and other industry leaders. The buzz, both domestically and internationally, is high. Trending on all popular internet search sites as the top search for six weeks straight.”

 

“Their eight-stop Asia tour pulled in both record-breaking ticket sales and endorsements in Japan and Korea, along with also inciting a wave of offers from global promoters for another world tour,” he added. “Two out of the three are currently signed to highly lucrative acting contracts with both SBS and KBS, and the third is currently starring in another major musical."

 

"All-in-all, they are on the up-and-up.”

 

“Very good.” she acknowledged with a nod before turning her eyes back to the Tokyo skyline. “And the twins?”

 

Director Choi suddenly fell silent, the hesitation apparent in both his eyes and body language.

 

“Tell me.” sighed the woman disappointingly. “Is it truly that bad?”

 

“I’m afraid so,” answered Director Choi. “And it’s steadily getting worse.”

 

“Explain.” she countered, in a soft but authoritative tone.

 

“Their current album’s sales have fallen below their normal average.” began Director Choi. “They’ve only sold a mere fifty thousand units since the release a month ago. There has been a significant decrease in both CF and appearance offers over the last three weeks, and there are unconfirmed rumors that the reported ticket sales, for their upcoming Tokyo Dome performances, have been greatly manipulated to show more sales than have actually occurred.”

 

“The number of registered members of their domestic fancafé and the traffic on their international fan pages has been steadily falling since early December,” he added. “And their current global popularity ranking is in the low forties. Several promoters in both the US and Western Europe, have pulled all their contracts with the twins’ entertainment company and have sited the inability to garner profits as their reasons for the partnership dissolution.”

 

“In other words, the promoters pulled the contracts and will no longer work with their entertainment company when it comes to holding concerts and events in the US and Western Europe?” questioned the woman solemnly. “Because there’s no money in it?”

 

“Exactly,” answered Director Choi with a burdened sigh. “Their declining popularity, out-of-touch concepts –both musically and visually, their short-sighted singular push of the Japan market, and lack of fan interaction; over the last few years; has now come to a head so-to-speak."  

 

“Sometimes, I hate being right.” muttered the woman softly to herself.

 

A hovering and lingering silence enveloped the room as the mysterious woman stared quietly, once again, at the Tokyo skyline. Director Choi waited patiently and watched her as she seems to mull over all the information he had provided her. He knew that this new information would compel her to rethink her current plans and possibly move up its implementation date to much sooner than she had expected. It was, he felt, the best option considering the current status of both the triplets and the twins.

 

With a long, drawn-out sigh, the woman reached up, slipping her hand underneath her veil, and wiped her eyes gently, before dropping her hand back down wistfully to her side.

 

“Your orders?” question Director Choi.

 

“We move up our plan,” she answered with a sorrowful sigh. “We’ve waited far too long.”

 

“Very well.” acknowledged Director Choi.

 

“And your personal plans? Will they be implemented now as well?” he questioned for clarification.

 

“It’s the most important part,” she answered as she turned to Director Choi and flashed a mischievous smile.

 

“As you wish, Lady N.” smiled Director Choi as he stood to attention, bowed respectfully, and then turned and left the room.

 

“It’s time.” Lady N whispered as she heard the door close with a soft click “Time to change the world.”

 

 

 

 

[January 5th: Seoul, South Korea]

 

“Hello?” asked Jaejoong as he answered his phone.

 

“It’s me,” answered Yoochun. “What are you up to?”

 

“Oh, nothing really,” replied Jaejoong. “Just sitting at home looking over sheet music. Where are you?”

 

“I just finished up filming next week’s episodes,” informed Yoochun. “I called because I wondered if you had time to have dinner with me and Junsu tonight? He’s feeling a little bummed out.”

 

“Bummed out, our bubbly Junsu?” questioned Jaejoong, a little surprised. “That’s not like him. Is he feeling alright?”

 

“He’s a little sick and… well…he has something bothering him he wants to talk to us about.” supplied Yoochun.

 

“Does he even have time to see us?” questioned Jaejoong worriedly. “Doesn’t he have a tight schedule this week?”



“His next performance isn’t for a few days and manager Hyung told him to take a break for a little bit,” informed Yoochun. “The musical is stressing his voice out a little too much and they’re worried that he won’t be at his optimal level if he does any more performances between his musical appearances."


"It’s making him a little upset as of late too, the fact that his voice isn’t cooperating with him. He’s been ordered to rest. But, you know Junsu. The second he gets any time off, we’re the first people he wants to see.”

 

“That’s true. Well, he definitely needs to protect his voice and rest, but I know that if I say no for those reasons he’ll be even more upset. ” chuckled Jaejoong knowingly. “Ok… So where do you guys want to meet for dinner? The usual place?”

 

“Yeah, I’ve already called and reserved our private room,” answered Yoochun. “So we’ll see you there around eight then?

 

“I’m buying!” Yoochun added quickly.

 

“Sure thing.” laughed Jaejoong as he tossed the sheet music in his hand on the edge of his bed. “It’s been a while since we are all together, without it having to do with work anyway.”

 

“I’ll see you there Chunnie,” added Jaejoong happily.

 

“Ok.” answered Yoochun “See you there.”