Breaking the News

So This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Eunmi's POV

 

Once the car reaches home, I get out from the car and enter our house. I greet my mom who is sitting on the couch watching her favorite drama called 'My Love From The Star'.. Tch! How come an old woman watch that kind of drama? I thought only teenagers would watch that kind of dramas.

My mother gets up from the couch and approaches me. "Oh Eunmi-ah, my lovely daughter is home. You must be tired right? Go and take a warm shower then let's eat dinner together okay? I cooked your favorite dishes, you know." she says. But seriously guys, what's wrong with my mom? Is she sick or did she accidentally hits her head with something hard? What's with this sudden angel-like behavior? She has never been so sickly sweet to me before. Never once in my life, she ever cooked my favorite meals. I just shrug all these thoughts off and say okay.


After I'm done taking shower, I approach the nightstand to take my phone. I check my phone. No messages.. Ughh! Why is my life so lonely? Well, I think a part of it is my own fault, whenever people want to date me, I reject them. It's because I want to focus on my studies. But now I regret it a little. Serve you right Eunmi!

I type a message to Miyoung.

To Miyoung:

Miyoung, why do I feel something weird is going on with my parents? Firstly, my father..you know how ing busy he is. But he managed to pick me up at the uni today. Secondly, my mother who rarely cooks, cooked my favorite meals today. Wtf? Seriously, I feel like something bad will hit me today.


I put my phone back on the nightstand and walk to my dressing table. I begin to dry my hair using the hairdryer. Then I hear a beep sound that comes from my phone. I get my phone and unlock it. It says '1 new message' and I tap my finger on it to open the message.

From Miyoung:
Really?? Emm.. Maybe they feel bad for treating you like a servant before. Don't think bad about your parents. Hey.. I'm busy right now. I'll text you again later. Bye ♥

Tch! What a helpful friend I have. I continue to comb my hair. After I'm done, I walk downstairs. 

Wow! They're all already gathered at the table including my annoying -like sister. Frankly, this is our first time for this year eating together like this. It has been a long time we don't eat together in one table like this. As in a long long time. 

My mother brings a hot pot and places it at the centre of the table. "Oh Eunmi, come and sit with us. I cooked your favorite kimchi stew and bibimbap today." she says and opens the lid of the hot pot and puts it at the side. My sister, Hana just glares at me.

Mmmm!! I love this smell. So delicious. I don't know why she rarely cook when she's actually not that bad at cooking. I begin to dig my spoon in the pot and taste it. Mm.. As I've mentioned it before, my mom is quite good at cooking. It surely tastes good.

While we are eating, everyone is focusing on the food and none of us even bother to starts a conversation first. All I can hear is only the sound of the utensils clashing to each other. My father is the first on to break the silence. "Eunmi, how's the university? I know it must be hard right? Just bear with it for awhile. There're only 3 months left before you graduate right?" he asks while sipping his soup.

"Oh. My uni life is okay. Yes, there're 3 months left before I graduate."  There.. silence again. I hate silence. It makes me feels awkward! Why would I feel awkward with my own family?! After we are done eating, I get up and collect all the plates. But, my mother takes them. "No no, just leave them to me. I'll do dishes later. I want you just to relax now. We have something important to tell you." I'm dumbfounded for a while but then I obey and go to the couch to sit. My mother also sit at the couch. I look at their face, their faces look so serious. What is it that's making them so hard to tell me? Seriously what is it that they want to tell me? Ughh! Just say it already!

"Emm... Eunmi, I know this is hard for you. But can you promise you will say yes to this?" my mother begin to say. "Promise? Promise to what? Just say it omma."  I'm starting to feel irritated. Just say it, no need to promise thingy like that.

"No, I want you to promise me first." she says. Yes.. this is her true behavior.  She loves to force someone to follow her words. "Okay, I promise. Just say it already." Finally, I say it.

"Okay since you've already promised, you can't take it back you know?" she says again. Yeah yeah.. I know. My father clears his throat and begin to talk. "Eunmi, our company have a huge debt with someone. It will take 10 years for us to pay it back. But, they said we can pay it back if we do something for them." my father says while looking deeply into my eyes. 

"Really? What is it? Does it have anything related to me? I don't think so." I say with a boring tone. Since when they ever shared their company problem with me? I don't know why they're telling me this, they should discuss it with the finance manager or whatever you call them. 

"Actually, there is. You need to marry their son." My eyes widen when I hear that and stand up. I really feel like screaming right now. What? Get married? This is absurb you know. I mean look at me. I'm still young! I want to enjoy my life as a single woman first before getting married with a guy. And not to mention with a guy whom I don't even know?! Are they ing serious?

"No! I don't want to!" I begin to shout. "Unnie, don't you think you're being rude? Don't yell to appa." that says. I roll my eyes at her. Yeah right, . Try to be in my shoes. Then you'll know how I feel right now. "I'm sorry appa, I can't. I don't want to.  I'm still young." I'm trying to persuade my dad to not let me marry this guy. And hopefully he will give up. 

"You've already promised us. No backing off. This marriage will happen next week. If I ever know you try to escape or anything, you are going to be in a big trouble." my father says with a serious tone. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter