My Blind Love

N.A.P Oneshot Compilation

My Blind Love

A huge crowd gathers in the activity center of a certain mall. The certain mall where I am right at this moment as one of the many in this huge sea of faces. Why am I here? Well, I’m waiting for the initial screening of another product advertisement endorsed by my celebrity crush. Saying it like that sounds so cheesy, wouldn’t you agree? But that’s the truth.

I can’t recall the time when I first laid eyes on this particular man, but from then on, been smitten by his mysterious personality.

My name is Ahn Daniel, by the way. And I think, though the realization didn’t come real quick, I think, I am in love with Bang Minsoo. The man who seems to have everything one man can ask for – handsome face, great body, wealth, popularity, a good family background to put him at the high chair in society.

But these are the things that everyone knows about him. On a personal note though, no one knows him. It’s like he’s not really existing in the realms of the real world. I mean, we see him often on advertisements but that’s the end of it. We don’t see him outside of those bright shining lights of his celebrity life. When the cameras stopped rolling, and the spot lights are turned off, no one knows where he is or what he might be doing.

Fans often wonder why that is so. I did first. But after a while, I came to understand that maybe, he wants his private life away from the public’s eyes.

The commercial was shown and again, I was smitten. Is it possible to fall in love to someone again and again? I don’t think the routine will end soon. It’s as though I am destined to be enthralled by those mysterious eyes every time I get to see them.

I walked away from the place with a contented smile on my face. For years, I have been following Bang Minsoo’s career, adoring him, loving him from a far even though I know that our paths will never ever cross.

As I was walking on the street, about to cross at the intersection, I almost cursed when I bumped into someone. I really hate bumping into people. I don’t know why but it really tick the annoyance in me.

“What the-? Are you blind?” I asked without thinking. I am annoyed and I want whoever that person is to know that I am.

He looked at me, or so I thought he’s doing behind those dark tinted eye glasses which he’s wearing along a face mask that’s covering his face except for his nose. A CAP, a padded hooded jacket that stretched down the middle of his thigh which could’ve made him look like a penguin except he’s tall and with a lean body. On his right hand, he’s holding on to a walking stick. Daniel eyes that then looked back up to the man in front of him.

“Go figure.” Came the man’s deep voice. Daniel felt his cheeks heat up at his thoughtless remark. He quickly bowed and apologized after realizing that the man is, indeed, blind.

The blind man in front of him waved his hands and said; “Don’t bother. You don’t know, so I forgive you.” The man simply said without any trace of emotion in his voice.

“I’m really sorry. I was talking without thinking.” Again, Daniel apologized with a flushed face. Good thing though, the man couldn’t see. That would’ve added to his embarrassment. “Can I at least help you with anything?” He offered, a simple kind gesture to make up for his harshness earlier.

Behind the mask, the man smiled though no one could’ve caught a hint of it. “Of course you can! You see, these are advanced-technology walking sticks that would beep in alarm when bumping into something so the user can avoid it beforehand. Truly helpful. But, I don’t know if anybody else noticed this, I’m pretty sure the government hasn’t, but the traffic lights needed that kind of alarm too, you know? To tell blind people if it’s okay to cross or not.” He gave him a momentary shrug of his shoulder and instinctively looked up at the traffic light looming above them.

“So, you’re saying?” Daniel asked, seemingly lost at the things this man has been chattering about.

“You’re a little slow, no?” The man chuckled much to Daniel’s annoyance. “I am asking you to help me cross the street. Just tell me when it’s okay to cross and that’s it. Can you do that for me?” The man asked and Daniel could almost see his eyes staring locked at him if not for the knowledge that he’s talking to a blind man.

“I’ll just take you then. I’m crossing the street anyway.” Daniel replied and looked at the red digital number counting down. “But it’s still 30 seconds to go.”

“It’s okay. We blind people are known for our patience.” Daniel caught a hint of a smile in the man’s voice. This made him smile as well.

The time came and they are crossing the street side by side, with the man’s walking stick tapping the concrete at every step they make.

Finally, they reached the other side of the street and Daniel wants to make sure that the man would get to his destination.

“I’m headed to my ophthalmologist’s office just some 300 steps ahead. Thank you for your kindness.” The man bowed slightly at him then proceeded. Daniel watched him walk away for a few seconds before going his own way.

The incident happened a few more times. And they always happen at the same time that Daniel soon after got convinced that the two of them have the same schedule of crossing this same street. He’s always headed for the university while the man goes to different places. Daniel is almost amazed at how a blind man can navigate without much trouble except for traffic lights.

“I was wondering though..” Daniel started. Again, he’s assisting the man cross the street. “How many people are you asking to help you cross the street in a day? You seem to be going around a lot. Are you handling your things and business on your own? Don’t you have anyone else to do that for you?” He asked which made the man chuckle.

“Didn’t know you could talk so much.” He laughed at this with which Daniel’s eyes widen in shock. What’s so funny about that? “Do you have some time to waste? I think I’m 30 minutes early for my appointment anyways.” The man then pressed something on his wrist watch and an electronic voice stated the time. “29 minutes left now, I guess.” He smiled under the mask.

Daniel shrugged and moved to follow the man.

“So, are you coming?” Daniel blushed. He forgot that the man couldn’t see him.

“Yeah.” He curtly answered.

They sat down at a nearby bench.

“I told you before that blind people are patient, haven’t I?”

Daniel nodded but quickly realized it, answered, “Yes.”

“I can sit here and talk for hours if you have the patience to listen.” Again, he laughed. “But seriously though, about your question,” he paused and seem to ponder on his words. “Not much.”

“Eh?”

“Not much. I don’t ask much people to help me cross the street. I don’t really cross streets that much but I ask people to help me hail a cab when I’m tired of walking around and wanted to go home quickly.”

Daniel have no response for that. But there is one thing he wanted to ask.

“How did it happen?”

“Huh? You mean this?” The man pointed towards his eyes, indicating his blindness.

Daniel made a small sound in place of answering yes.

“Hmm… Let’s see. Not too long ago. Got into a car accident. My whole face was injured, hence the mask. And my eyes completely lost vision after being severely damaged. My family wanted to take care of me but I told them off. I wanted my independence back then, and I sure wanted it now.”

Daniel was speechless. He doesn’t see the man as someone who wants anyone to pity him.

From then on, the two of them have been good friends. They talk and chatter and share stories every morning after Daniel help him cross the street.

One day, Daniel’s phone rang. He picked it up and saw the name of the caller. Takeshi. He quickly answered the call and thought of his blind friend who’s starting to become really close to him. Daniel was watching a feature story about Bang Minsoo in a showbiz channel while plopped on his sofa. He’s definitely in a good mood.

“What’s up?”

“Can you pick me up? I think I’m lost.” Came the voice from the other end.

“What?” Suddenly, the TV show was forgotten and Daniel was on his feet, ready to leave the house and rescue his friend.

“It’s what I said. Pabo!”

“Ya! Who are you calling pabo? You’re the one that’s lost! Who’s the pabo now?”

“Ya! Don’t yell! I’m older than you!

“I’m not yelling!”

“Yes you are!”

“I’m not!”

Suddenly, Daniel heard a laughter from the other end.

“We’re both stupid. Shouting at each other like that.” Then he laughed again.

Daniel joined in.

“So, where are you exactly?”

“If I know, I wouldn’t call you, pabo!”

Daniel hissed but realized how dumb that was.

“At least give me an idea where to pick you. Ask anyone from the crowd. Why aren’t you thinking?”

“Ya! I’m older than you!” After that, Daniel heard a muffled conversation of Takeshi asking someone of his location. He heard what the lady said but still waited for his friend to come back on the line.

“What are you doing in central park?”

“I was walking around aimlessly. I lost count of the steps I made. I suddenly couldn’t recognize the noise from my surrounding, and I know I was lost.”

Daniel listened in awe. He still find it amazing how Takeshi can navigate around with just the number of steps, the feel of the pavement under his shoes, or the sound of the passing cars and the establishments  nearby.

“Okay. Can you tell me where exactly in central park? That’s a huge park, you know.”

A pause. Then Takeshi is back on the line.

“Hmmm… I’m sitting on a brick bench.”

“Every bench in there is made of brick. You’re not making sense at all.”

“Hmmm…”

“You know what, just stay there. Don’t move. I’ll find you.” With that, he ended the call and head to the central park which is a good 15-minute taxi ride from his house. How did he end up there?

Now at the central park, Daniel searched for his friend. Five minutes passed and he still couldn’t find him. Daniel decided to make a call.

“You said you’re sitting down a bench, right?”

“No. I moved.”

“Why did you-? I told you to stay put.”

“Relax. Someone I know saw me and invited me inside his RV.”

“You should’ve called me then! Where are you now?”

“Why do you sound like a mother?”

“I’m worried, okay?!” Daniel yelled.

Silence on the other line.

“Hey, you still there? Where is this RV?”

“Uhh.. since I’m already with someone I know, you can go home now. Thank you for your concern.”

“No. I’m not leaving unless I see that you’re okay. So tell me.”

“Uhmm..”

“What?”

“Behind you. Past the waffles stall. There’s a white RV.”

“Hey, how do you know where I am?”

“Just get here.” The call ended.

Weirded out but totally worried about his friend, Daniel marched towards the direction of the RV. He tapped on the glass window and the door to the side slide open. In there, he saw Takeshi seated and facing him.

“You’re all right?”

He nodded.

“Come in. I’ll introduce you to my friend.”

Gingerly, Daniel hop on and sat across his friend. He looked around and saw no one else but them.

“So, where is your friend?”

“I really appreciate you looking after me. Me, a total stranger, yet you worry about my safety. It feels really good to have someone worry about you, you know.”

“What’s with the cheesiness?” Daniel tried to laugh the embarrassment.

“I really didn’t know how I could repay you when this little experiment is over. Good thing though..” He let his words hang.

Experiment? What is he talking about?

Takeshi then removed his sun glasses and stared directly at Daniel’s eyes which are now wide in shock.

“You-!”

He laughed. “That’s right. I’m not really blind. I was just working on my thesis paper about how normal people treat the blind in a day to day basis. I’m taking up psychology, by the way.”

Daniel was speechless and just remained staring at the man in front of him. Somehow, those eyes are making him feel nervous. What is happening to him?

Next, Takeshi moved to remove his padded jacket which then revealed his arm tattoos. By this time, Daniel is seeing the most unbelievable thing in his life. Those tattoos are familiar! This can’t be happening!! He put his hands on his mouth to stop himself from screaming. No no no! This isn’t happening!

Finally, Takeshi removed his mask and revealed the smiling face of Bang Minsoo.

Daniel screeched and moved to get out of the car if not for Minsoo blocking the way.

“Ya, where are you going?” Minsoo asked laughing.

Daniel couldn’t form words. He’s simply staring at his face in disbelief.

“This isn’t happening! This couldn’t be happening! This is a dream! I need to wake up now!” Daniel closed his eyes in hopes that when he opened them again, he’s in his room full of Bang Minsoo’s posters from all of his product endorsements.

“What are you talking about? This is real!” Minsoo continue to laugh.

Daniel was merely staring at him, his eyes still wide in shock.

“So.. you know?” Daniel couldn’t believe his fate. He never did once hide from Takeshi about his admiration for Bang Minsoo and now this… He couldn’t believe that he’s been telling his crazy adoration to the man himself!

The amused smile on his handsome face tells Daniel that he doesn’t have any secret now. Everything is revealed. He buried his face on his hands. Minsoo moved to grab his hands away from his face and look him in the eye.

 “Ya!” Daniel hit him in the arm which he dramatically whined from the “pain”. s“I hate you! How can you do that?”

“What? I was doing my research. I didn’t intend for you to come along. I haven’t anticipated anything. I don’t have anything to expect.”

“So during all those times, you really can’t see? What if you’re hit by a car? Or pushed around, gets bullied, and ended up being hurt?”

“They’re all part of the experiment.”

“I hate that experiment.”

Again, Minsoo smiled.

“I really like how you take care of me.” He smiled cheesily.

“Stop it. It’s not funny.”

“Not meant to be. It’s meant to be romantic and cheesy, you know.” Minsoo smiled greasily. Daniel scrunched his nose.

“Stop it. You’re not cute.”

“I know. You said I’m handsome, right? And manly? And oozing with charisma? And—“

“Ya!” Niel screamed before burying his face again on his hands.

Minsoo laughed heartily.

“Oh Daniel. You’re so cute I almost didn’t finish the whole experiment.”

“Huh? What do you mean?” Minsoo got his whole attention now.

“You know, I just want all of it to be over. Just tell you the truth and get to know you more. Let you know me more. Start a relationship.”

“Huh? What?”

For the nth time that night, Minsoo laughed heartily at Daniel’s cuteness.

“I didn’t know I need to be blind before seeing someone as beautiful as you.”

They fell silent. None wanted to break the eye contact. Even without words, they know that they share the same feeling.

“Will you go out with me?”

“No.”

“What?”

“What, are you pretending to be deaf now, too?”

Minsoo merely looked at him in disbelief. I thought the feeling is mutual! What is he talking about?

“I don’t wanna go out. I wanna stay here with you.”

The boyish grin is back in Minsoo’s face as he pull Daniel in a sweet kiss.

 

_________________________________________________________________

A/N: If you like what I'm doing here, please subsrcibe, upvote, and comment! That would definitely make my day. :)