Hark the Herald

N.A.P Oneshot Compilation

Hark the herald angels sing

Glory to the newborn king

Peace on earth and mercy mild

God and sinners reconciled...

 

A sweet and gentle sounding voice can be heard across the dark alley where a man slump down on his behind. But instead of extending the spirit of Christmas, the voice coming from the person in front of him sent chills down his spine.

 

Who wouldn't pee in his pants when he's in this man's situation? He was walking past this all too familiar alley on his way home when a man, lanky in figure, but stands at around six feet, came from behind him and started singing that very Christmas carol. At first, he smiled upon hearing the sweet voice. But that smile and feel good vibe has been short lived when the man suddenly stuck a knife on his side.

 

It wasn't until he was on the concrete floor of the alley that he realized what happened. He pushed himself to sit down only to be faced with his attacker. The man on the ground wanted to see the face of his attacker but his vision is being obstructed by a face mask that covers up to the top of his nose with his forehead hidden behind a knitted bonnet. He can see nothing from the man's face. All he can see are eyes that lack remorse or any trace of emotion despite what he has just done, despite the other man's endless pleas to let him go. Why is he doing this anyway? The man asked as he try to think of anyone that he might've done wrong but drew a blank.

 

So why?

 

Why is this happening to him? Why is this man after him? Why... does he have to die this way?

 

That was the last of his thoughts as the other man again struck him with his knife. This time, it pierced right through his heart. He made a gurgling sound as he choke on his own blood before lifelessly slumping on the ground.

 

"Another one? I can'tbelieve this! Don'twe have officers scouting that area? How can this maniac slip under our noses again?" Bang Minsoo growled on the receiver of his phone. He was wearing nothing but a pair of boxers shorts - his most comfortable sleepware as he pace back and forth inside his room on the 8th floor of this apartment complex. His position as a head and senior detective is enough to provide him a luxurious roof above his head. But aside from the fat check he receives monthly, it's the satisfaction of locking bad people away that serves as the greatest trophy and satisfaction.

 

This is why he feels more frustrated than other officers will ever understand when the report of another victim from the same killer they've been hunting for almost a month now reached his ears. He wanted to strangle the faceless man from the mere frustration he's causing him. But on top of that, he couldn't let the killings go on.

 

"I'll be there in five." Minsoo said as he end the call and quickly put on a pair of jeans, shirt, and his leather jacket before grabbing his badge and gun. The recent killing happened just across the street from his apartment. Minsoo cursed endlessly at how near the killer has been to him. But then again, isn't that the reason why he deployed men to scout the area? Whatever's wrong in the head if their killer, but he's performing all his evil doings inside this perimeter. He can be crazy for doing that right under the police's noses. But then again, who's the real fool here when his officers are positioned around the area yet the killing still goes on?

 

Minsoo arrived at the scene three minutes after he ended the call with his partner to whom he stood beside now. The stillness of the night has been snatched by numerous police officers milling around and about, an ambulance with its flickering blue and red colors parked at one side of the road, and more forensic officers to add to the growing chatter of people around them.

 

"Our man struck again." Ahn Daniel said as Minsoo stood panting beside him. He knew that Minsoo lives around the area and he also knew that his partner sprinted his way here.

 

"What are we doing allowing these killings to go on?" Minsoo said, still panting.

 

"Don't beat yourself too hard. I have a plan." Daniel said with a hint of mischievousness in his dark brown eyes.

 

"Let's hear it."

 

"I'll play the bait."

 

"What?" Minsoo spun around to face his partner. "What crazinesss is this, Ahn Daniel?" Minsoo growled that made the other officers turn their heads toward the two detectives, their ears open for anything interesting. The two has been partners ever since they joined the force. And their tandem is also known as one of the bests when it comes to solving crimes no matter hiw bizaare a case may be. Now, people around them are simply curious as to how they're going to solve this equally puzzling case.

 

"Chill, hyung and think about it. I'm actually surprised you haven't noticed the similarity in all the victims."

 

The first two victims were high school students. Male and female. The third is an accountant. The fourth is a writer in a local newspaper. And the most recent one is a porter. Minsoo drew a blank face and stared at Daniel, waiting for him to go on.

 

"You really don't know? Wow! I can't believe the time will come that I'd be smarter than you. I should mark this on my calendar." Daniel laughed much to Minsoo's annoyance.

 

"Cut the crap, Niel, tell me what is it already."

 

"Fine." Niel rolled his eyes from the nickname that only Minsoo uses. "They all attended Sogang High School. What's more, all of them are also members of the school choir." Daniel informed.

 

"And?" The confused look on Minsoo's face made Daniel's shoulders fall. Is this really THE renowned great detective Bang Minsoo?

 

"Where is my partner? What did you do to him?" Daniel surprised everyone, especially Minsoo, when he pulled his gun from its holster and point it at his partner's face.

 

"Cut the crap, Niel! Just tell me already!" Minsoo growled which made Daniel withdrew his gun. That's right. Only Minsoo calls him Niel. That is enough proof that his partner hasn't been switched with an impostor.

 

Daniel cleared his throat. "I'm not going to apologize. It's not my fault you're not as sharp as I got used to. You used to connect the dots faster than me, faster than anyone else. What's wrong with you today?" Daniel asked, all trace of playfulness gone from his face.

 

Minsoo took a deep breath before saying softly, "You attended the same high school and was also a part of the school choir. All those victims were the only ones left living in this area who were also members of Sogang school choir. The others have migrated abroad while the others moved to different cities after getting married. I checked their family background and it seems that all but the first two victims, the two high schoolers have their family still living within the area. I placed undercover agents to keep an eye on them if ever the killer decide to get back at them for whatever reason. I think this is a hate crime. For decades, Sogang High has been the champion in all choir competitions in the area. If that is the case then our suspect probably came from the rival school, Maiolo High. I've investigated the members of their choir from the time of our third victim since he's the oldest and came up with this." Minsoo showed Daniel a photo of a lanky man in a corporate attire. Looking closely, Daniel recognized him as the local bank teller who always assist him with his transactions.

 

Daniel was silent as all that was said sunk in to him. "Woah! So you've already identified the killer? What are we standing here for then?" Daniel had to stop himself from praising his partner. He's a fool to think that Minsoo wouldn't be able to connect the dots. He's been working with him for four years and the guy still never ceases to amaze him.

 

"Oh, I know. We need evidence." Daniel said before wearing that playful smile again. "That's why, I should be the bait."

 

"Actually, thinking about it, you're the only one in this area that the killer hasn't killed yet. If he's really after Sogang high's choir members still residing within the area, then you are the only one left in his hit list. Great job, agent Ahn, your heroic act and years of service will be honored and remembered." Minsoo did an honorary bow before earning a smack on the head from his fuming partner.

 

"What was that for?" Minsoo whined causing a murmur of muffled laughter from the crowd of uniformed officers around them. They're used to this behavior of the two detectives. This is also probably the reason why their team performs the best in their division - the two of them are such great friends.

 

"How can you talk as though I'm going to die soon?" This time, it's Daniel's turn to bark.

 

Minsoo shrugged before sitting down on the hood of the nearest police car. "Seems like you have a plan. Let's hear it."

 

***

 

It's in the middle of the night and Daniel is walking along the street to his house. After agreeing to trap their killer, Daniel has always been on the alert, looking at his back more often than necessary. Minsoo agreed with his plan and since then on, Daniel has been walking his way home, trying to keep an eye on his back.

 

Act normal. Act normal. Daniel continue to tell himself as he stride along the familiar street. Well, if he's suspecting that he's the next victim, it's natural to be fidgety, right? Yep, this is all a part of the act. He need to look frightened and alert so as not to throw off the set up that there are 18 men hidden around him and some are positioned on top of the surrounding buildings. Once the killer show up, he's going to get it this time.

 

He was almost to his house when he phoned Minsoo. "Coast is still clear, hyung, maybe not tonight as well." Daniel said and heard Minsoo sighed at the other end. This is the third night that they've tried to lure the killer but still no luck. Maybe they should change strategies.

 

Daniel fished the key inside his jacket pocket and unlocked the door to his humble home. He used to live with his parents here until his older brother petitioned them to live with him in Australia. His younger brother was there too but Niel chose to stay because of his job. He heaved a sigh when he entered his house.

 

Daniel removed his jacket and his gun holster before marching to the ref. He needed a glass of ice cold water. That's when he saw something glowing from the corner of his eye. He quickly spun around and was a hair away from the knife that was aimed to his face.

 

Daniel quickly ran towards his gun which he left on the living room but the man beat him to it. The man tower over him but with thin body, Daniel easily tackled him to the floor. He hold the man's wrist and repeatedly slammed the back of its hand on the floor, making him let go of the knife. Daniel landed one punch on the man's face before scrambling to his feet again to get his gun and probably phone Minsoo for backup.

 

Daniel expected the man to be up on its feet and launch another attack at him. But he hadn't expected what happened next. His ears ring at the splitting sound of a gun being fired. He looked back and saw the man standing a few steps away, clutching his shoulder before slumping and growing limp on the floor. It took Daniel a few seconds to realize that someone shot the man. Daniel's heart leap out of his chest when his phone rang.

 

"Son of a ! We were waiting for him on the street but it seems like he made himself comfortable inside your house, eh?" Daniel can hear amusement in Minsoo's voice.

 

"That was close! Thank you, hyung. Good thing you were there."

 

"Well, you did a great job fighting him off."

 

"What? You were watching all along?" Daniel looked outside the window towards the establishment directly in front of his house. And there, in one window, he saw a tiny red dot.

 

"He could've killed me while I was drinking water and yet you just watched?" Daniel barked.

 

"Come on, I know you wouldn't. You wouldn't be my patrtner if someone as lowly as him can kill you." Daniel can almost see Minsoo's shoulders shudder as he laugh.

 

"Whatever hyung." Daniel rolled his eyes and this time, the unmistakable sound of Minsoo's laughter was clearly delivered through the line.

 

"The guys should be coming in any moment now. Be there in a mnute. Prepare something hot. I'm starving." Minsoo ended the call before Daniel could say more.

 

 

"I still can't believe you, hyung!" Daniel whined for the nth time that night. Minsoo and him are now seated in his dining room. The forensics have cleaned the area and have also hauled the killer in but Minsoo stayed in Daniel's house to eat.

 

"What? It was fun watching you, I tell you. You should do those moves to those old and fat officers back in HQ who are always laughing at you just 'cause you're thin. Man, you almost knock the man out with just one punch! Woo! That must hurt. I saw him struggle to get up before I pulled the trigger."

 

"I can't believe you wait that long before you step in." Daniel said, still feeling annoyed.

 

"What? You're doing great on your own."

 

"Does.. the other guys.. saw that?" Daniel asked, embarrassed by the thought that he almost let himself be killed inside his own home.

 

Minsoo snorts. "Nope. I told them to withdraw after your call that the coast is clear.

 

"But you stayed?" Daniel asked wide eyed. Minsoo could've gone home too but he didn't.

 

"Uhh.. I'm disassembling my gun when I saw something strange when you the light. I assembled my gun back and looked at the scope. That's when I saw you duck under the man's knife then fight him off."

 

"And you enjoyed it." Daniel said with a pout.

 

"Don't worry, I won't hold it against you if we ever switch places next time. You can also just watch me fight off some villain."

 

"As if I'll do that. I will shoot the bastard even before he could attempt to strike you."

 

"Aww.. I feel special. I feel loved." Minsoo said in a mock touched tone and expression.

 

"You're silly."

 

"Thank you." Minsoo smiled with mouth full of food.

 

Silence.

 

"Uhm.." Daniel started but feel embarrassed to continue.

 

"You're welcome!" Minsoo chimed. Daniel smiled. There really is no other partner for him than Minsoo.

 

"Stupid. I was about to tell you not to gobble down all the food. At least leave somehing for me. That's my food and this is my house!"

 

"But I saved your life! This is but a small payment."

 

"Thank you but that doesn't give you the right to kill me from starvation! Give me some!"

 

Battle of spoon and forks followed suit while the two men laugh their silly hearts out.

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Awwww.... ain't they cute? Have I said that I love N.A.P? Kekeke

Merry Christmas fellow N.A.P shippers!! *sending you a thousand hugs wherever you might be in this planet*