In Another Life

N.A.P Oneshot Compilation

 A/N: This story is a request from inuyashakh12 and so this chapter is dedicated to her – my avid requester to whom I am more than thankful for. You always fuel me to write and I love that I share this passion for N.A.P stories with you. Surely, I would love for more people to share their ideas with me but you, I am always thankful for. Thank you! ^^ I hope you enjoy this one. 

_________________________________________________________

 

Bang Minsoo is a renowned swordsman and a loyal soldier of the kingdom. The time is that of Joseon era when Emperors rule the country and power is handed down by blood and dynasty. Known to everyone as Sword Minsoo, the man, standing close at six feet tall which is remarkably tall for people during those times, slight of built, and with grace easy and fluid which are to expect from a deliverer of justice.

 

Though everyone knows of his reputation and great sword ability, few are those that really know the man; few are those that have seen him. People speculated, with some of the palace people chiming in, that Sword Minsoo only appears in the palace during those times of grave need and importance. And today is one of those.

 

Ahn Daniel, the crown prince and heir to the throne, sat uncomfortably on top of the velvet-covered cushion on the floor inside his palace quarters as we waits the arrival of the infamous swordsman. The images of Sword Minsoo playing inside his mind are nothing but frightening. From the grapevine, he had heard that the man have vicious eyes that are as dark as night and as menacing as nightmare itself. It was said that he was also tall with really buff built that houses might and power that can crush a skull with his bare hands, and that the man is nothing close to merciful.

 

All these descriptions made the crown prince fidgety at the predicament his father has subjected him to do.

 

“As the Crown Prince, you have to earn this man’s trust or you will never be a respected and feared ruler of our land. All emperors, beginning from your great ancestors have made a pact with Sword Minsoo and you had to do that too.”

 

The words his father uttered to him when he joined him inside the Emperor’s quarters earlier that afternoon resounded inside his head as clearly as though it’s being spoken to him just now.

 

“Pact? What kind of pact, Father? And you said this swordsman have been dwelling this earth even during the time of our great ancestors? You speak as though this man is immortal. Because if not, how could he have lived through centuries?” Daniel had asked, seeking clarity in his old man’s words.

 

The Emperor has sighed. His eyes bore patience and intelligence commonly seen in old people who has had their fair share of life and the lessons that was earned along the journey.

 

“It’s for you to discover all to yourself, son. You are of age to rule this country. My time is almost over. I will lay on my deathbed at peace that a great ruler in my own son will take over and rule over our people in a manner that our family has done so for centuries.”

 

“You speak so vague, Father. I’m barely keeping up. But please, halt this instant about the talks of your death. You’re as strong as our sturdiest horses so why do you speak like this?”

 

The Emperor laughed. “Oh but you must prepare yourself for the things to come. I’m younger than you when my father died, forcing me to rule this country which, by then, weighs heavy for a fourteen-year-old boy’s shoulders to carry. But you, my son, is old enough now. You’re ready. I’ve taught you everything I know and everything you must know to run a country. Ah, yes, your mother would be proud had she still been with us.” The Emperor smiled at the thought of his late wife. Soon, my love. We will be together once again. I’m sorry it took me so long to join you.

 

Now as Daniel sat alone in his quarters had he only fully grasp what his father had told him. He tried to steel his resolve and keep himself from crying at the inevitable death of his father. He knows. He’s just not brave enough to accept that his father is sick and that no sorcerer or doctor can cure him and prolong his life. He wiped the moisture in his eyes with the heel of his palms when he heard a soft tap on his wooden door.

 

“You may come in.” He said, relieved that his tone was even.

 

What he saw when the door opened both struck him motionless and frenzied at the same time. The man was sitting on top of his folded legs on the polished wooden floor, the sword he set down beside him. He’s wearing a red samurai’s dress made of silk and embroidered with fine oriental figures famous during those times. But aside from his regal demeanor and the strength and authority emanating from his still figure, it’s the man’s face that rendered Daniel speechless.

 

He looks so young! And so beautiful! It took Daniel all of his strength and self-respect to stop himself from blurting any of these thoughts out. He’s expecting to receive an ageing man, a balding one, if he need be accurate. But no, what he marvels in front of him right now is a man so young he looked to be just a year or two older than him at twenty. How is this possible?

 

“I’m not a man for pleasantries but let me appease thy presence with this bow and self-introduction.” The man said and his deep baritone voice took Daniel out of his trance and back to reality. After the man gave his customary greetings, he again sat right outside the door.

 

Daniel managed to find his voice and beckon for the man to come in which the swordsman wordlessly obliged.

 

“I must appraise you for coming in such a short notice and in the brief moment that we spent with each other, I can easily say that you’re a man of business and doesn’t like wasting time so I will make this quick.” Daniel said, thankful that he has regained his posture. The man nodded and Daniel went on.

 

“My father talked about a pact but I have not the slightest idea of what could be its contents. Perhaps you can enlighten me?”

 

“It’s simple.” The man started, staring lock on Daniel’s eyes. “I will swear my loyal services to your rule and you do nothing but ensure the wellbeing of the people.”

 

“That’s all?” Daniel asked, doubtful of the simplicity of the rules.

 

“Don’t be fooled by the easy words, my prince, for the consequences are grave.”

 

The man’s words both frightened and intrigued Daniel. The quizzical creases on his forehead urged the swordsman to go on.

 

“The exchange for treason against this pact, that is, if you commit one vile action that will endanger your people, is your death. By my own hands.” Whether it were the words spoken or the manner through which the sentence was delivered, Daniel felt a cold chill down his spine.

 

“Very well. You have my word.”

 

“So you have mine.”

 

From the day they shook hands, the two have been hand in hand in running the country and ensuring its peace. The Emperor died not long after that, transferring the right and responsibility to rule to Daniel. Though young, Daniel cut for a great ruler in the front lines while Sword Minsoo makes sure that no evildoer goes unpunished. The tandem weathered wars and threats of invasions and together, maintained peace in the land.

 

Decades have passed and Daniel’s affection for the swordsman grew deeper and before he knew it, he was nurturing a forbidden love for Minsoo. Daniel knows that it’s wrong for no love between two men have been heard before. Plus, he’s now married to a distant cousin with which he have a daughter and a son, the latter clearly succeeding him on the throne when the time comes. That time, Daniel can almost see coming.

 

He went down with great fever that, just like what his father and his father before him, had. Daniel knew it was almost his time but he was bent not to leave this world without confessing his love for the swordsman who has grown to be the most important person in his life. Yes. Ashamed as he can be to admit it, Minsoo has weighed more to him than his own wife and children. For years, he had battered himself for that endless shame but now, before he close his eyes to welcome the endless sleep, he called for Minsoo to join him in his final hours.

 

Minsoo came in a few moments after to which Daniel was greatly delighted. Daniel marveled at his ever youthful face. He should’ve known that he is no ordinary man. Through years, Minsoo’s face hadn’t changed at all. After decades, he still had that smooth skin that Daniel dreamed of caressing in more occasions than one. He longed to kiss those smooth, clean-shaven cheeks and run his fingers on his smooth forehead or his thick brows. He long to kiss those lips or that tall nose. He long to kiss his eyes and imagining them closing when his lips made contact with the sensitive skin. He long to love Minsoo. All those years.

 

However, life couldn’t be any more cruel as he lay now waiting for death to claim him with Minsoo looking nothing less than immaculate in his eyes.

 

“Minsoo..” Daniel said, strain in his voice as he tried his best not to cough at the effort.

 

“I know. I love you too, Daniel. I’ve always had.”

 

Daniel’s eyes could’ve bulged out of their sockets hadn’t the fever been too bad that almost snatch all control from his own body. He stared at Minsoo, urging him to explain himself. And, if he can be too kind, say those words again. It felt nothing but a bliss to hear Minsoo say those words to him. Daniel felt content though a kick of regret added to the pain his body is already suffering from.

 

“I’ve loved you since the day you were born, patiently waiting until it’s your turn to rule so I can make myself known to you. No, I’ve loved you even before your father or your grandfather was born. You see, I was cursed. Cursed to live through centuries, millennias if need be, until I found the one born with the spirit of my lost love. That was you, love. I know when I laid eyes on you. I know you’re the one who will free me from this curse. And though we are saying goodbye tonight, know that my love will never depart you.”

 

Minsoo spoke in the softest tone Daniel has ever heard from him. It almost lulls Daniel to sleep which, right now as the pain in his body increases by the second, is a very welcomed thought. It was so sweet and so close that Daniel can taste it in his tongue, can smell it in the air, and the hairs on his body tingle in anticipation.

 

“Minsoo.. If what you say is true. Does that mean we can be together now?” Daniel willed himself to smile and was glad to have managed a small one for his beloved.

 

“Yes, my love. From now until forever.” Minsoo leaned in to give him a gentle kiss on the lips. Daniel has his eyes closed; savoring the softness of Minsoo’s lips and the joy it brings his heart to know that his love is reciprocated.

 

“Will you lie beside me then?” Daniel asked, opening his eyes to peer at the man he love the most in the world.

 

“Anything for you, my dear, my love, my destiny.”

 

Minsoo lay beside Daniel and with intertwined fingers, bid their farewell to the world they know.

 

“In another life, my love. We will be together again.”

 

Niel smiled as he close the book he’s been reading before smiling down at the man sleeping on his lap. “Indeed, my love, we were together once again.” He muttered before leaning down to kiss his beloved’s closed lips.

 

“Are you reading that story again?” Minsoo yawned, opening his eyes and staring lovingly at his boyfriend.

 

“Minsoo.. my Minsoo.. I’m very much delighted to know that behind that curse is a gift to be together with you once again.”

 

“In another life.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I love you.”

 

“You know I love you more than you could ever do.”

 

“No, my love. I love you even before your parents thought of bringing you into this world. That means, I love you more.”

 

Niel beamed and gave Minsoo’s nose a small and quick peck. Minsoo grinned and pulled Daniel close to another deep and loving kiss.

 

“I will love you from here to eternity and what lies beyond that.” Minsoo breathed in, their foreheads touching.

 

“I know.” Niel smiled before pulling Minsoo into yet another deep kiss, pouring all his love that no words can ever begin to describe.

 

_________________________________________________________

A/N: The title is inspired by one of Katy Perry’s song that goes, “In another life, I will be your girl..”  Because of those first three words, this story came about. Yes, the song didn't really sit well with this story but I realy do get inspirations for my story from the most unlikely things. Haha

If you like this one, can you tell me so through the comments box? And yes, requests are very much open. Share your ideas with me. I would love to write your story. ^^