CHAPTER IX

Survivors's Story

I opened my eyes slowly… everything around me seems to be a blur, maybe because of the bright light right in front of my face… I could hear voices from distance but that’s it. I closed my eyes once again and then open them again slowly as my eyes adapting to the bright light. I saw the ceiling with one bulb on it… it’s the source of the light that I have been seeing.  It seems that I’m on a bed here… a soft warm bed. How long has it been since I’ve enjoy this kind of bed… I couldn’t even remember anymore.

The room was pretty simple; it consists of a single bed where I’m laying right now and a small cabinet at the left side of the bed. On top of it I could see a couple of empty glasses and a pitcher of water and also some food… where the heck am I? And then it hit me… We were running from this unknown mutant and then collapsed because of exhaustion and then I saw at least three walkers coming at us… Haena… Soyumi… where were they? I immediately tried to wake up but feel a jolt of pain across my body which made me grunts.

“Damien Oppa!” A girl’s voice echoed at my ear as she put her arms around my shoulder and push me back to the bed gently.

“Soyumi-ssi?” I asked to the girl… I knew I know that voice.

“Yes oppa… It’s me Soyumi.” Soyumi answered as she smiled “I’m glad you’re awake. And drop that ssi thing… I told you before just be comfortable around me.”

I then smiled as I saw her smile and then said “And I’m glad you’re okay… How about Haena? Where is she? She’s just okay right?” I asked as I forced myself to sit on the bed.

“Oh! Right! Haena eonni! I got to tell her that you’re awake!” Soyumi said as she left the room in a hurry before I could say anything.

Oh well… That means both Soyumi and Haena is alive and well right now. When those walkers came at us I thought that we’re done for. But… how did we get out alive from there? Someone came and helped us? But who was it? When I was deep in my thought suddenly I heard the door being opened harshly as the door hit the wall pretty hard… and then someone suddenly jumped at me which of course knock me down on the bed.

“Oppa! You’re awake!” It’s Haena’s voice that sounded on my ears while she hugged me pretty tightly “Thank God you’re okay! I thought you will never wake up!”

“Hae…na….” I said with a gasp “I… can’t breathe!”

And with that Haena immediately let go of her hug and then saying that she’s sorry while checking me all over to see if I’m hurt.

“I’m fine now Haena… Don’t worry.” I said with a smile to her as I put both of my hands on her shoulders… It’s nice to see her again, to see her smile again.

“Yeah… I know…” Haena responded with much warmer smile and then she hugged me once more.

Then I suddenly heard a sound of someone coughing nearby and when I directed my sight at the source of coughing I saw Soyumi with both of her hands on her waist with a smirka and said “Oppa... Eonni… you need to find your own room.”

“Hehe… Sorry for that… But isn’t this my room? ” I asked as I scratched my head with a slight blush while Haena just approached Soyumi and then slap her arm slightly which… of course with a slight blush as well which resulted in Soyumi made her pouting face to her eonni while rubbing her arm that got hit. Both of them were cute!

“Sorry to break it to you but this room is not just for you two…” Soyumi replied.

“We would love to give you two a private room of course…” a man said as he entered the room “But too bad we don’t really have the luxury of it here in this place.”

I looked at the man with my face full of question marks of course... and then I looked at both Haena and Soyumi asking for some explanation about the guy that had just entered the room.

“Ah… where’s my manners. I’m sorry.” The man answered my mentally asked question as he extended his hand “My name is Roh Ji-Hoon.”

“If you’re wondering how all of get here… it’s us that saved the three of you from those walkers that were about to devour all of you.” Another man’s voice sounded and this time it sounds familiar.

“And this man’s name here is…” Roh Jihoon said as he put his arm around the man’s shoulder just before I interrupted.

“Dean?!” I asked with a surprised expression.

“Yo Damien! I knew you’ll survive this… You’re our team’s ace not just for nothing” Dean said as he taps my shoulder.

“So am I…” I said as I tap his arm “You’re always the best at strategizing… which means you will surely have some ways to survive.”

“That I am.” Dean said proudly.

“Team?” Haena asked with confusion “What team? Weren’t you told me that you work as a programmer before?”

“Yes he was.” Dean answered for me “But you see us here have the same hobby which was war skirmish games.”

“Oppa, what is a war skirmish game?” Soyumi asked.

“It’s a game where we simulate a war condition and fight between teams. The games usually lasted a couple of hours but there are some exceptions depend on the players. Some of the games might even last for a week; of course it must be on some private property not those publicly provided skirmish places.” I explained to Soyumi and Haena “And of course we don’t use any real guns… just gas powered guns which at most could only cause some bruises.”

“Yeah… and Damien here when we played in the past always lead the team to victory with no casualties on our teams, well sometime we did have one or two casualties but that’s it.” Dean added.

“But all of that also thanks to the strategy that this guy Dean devised.” I added another one “Without him to strategize we might ended up with much more casualties.”

“Oppa… what do you mean with casualties?” Haena asked carefully.

“The team members who got ousted because they got defeated by the opposing team member.” I answered and by then I saw Haena seemed to breathe in relieve “Definitely not because they got killed in a game… I told you we’re using fake guns.”

“And by doing that the two of you got used being under pressure and able to make any decisive decision which lead to our survival… is that it oppa?” Haena asked.

“Well... you could assume it like that” I answered and then directed my attention to Dean “And by the way Dean… where is this? Is this some kind of refugee camp?”

“Well pretty much… This is not the only place though.” Dean replied “There are a couple of places just like this where they safe guard an area so that civilians could live their life pretty much normal.”

“Who’s the one managing the places?”

“It’s the Government.” Roh Jihoon answered me this time “They’re the one who secured the places and then open them to any survivor that they came across or coming to them. They call these places as the Protected Ground abbreviated as PG.”

“And this PG’s name is PG-27. This literally means that this was the 27th protected ground that was established.” Dean added.

“How many PGs are out there?” I asked.

“Well one of my friends was on PG-164… So I assume there are hundreds of them.” Roh Jihoon said.

“Why we never actually came across any of those places until now?” Haena asked.

“Well… I don’t really know about that…” Dean responded “You might have missed it somehow.”

According to this information I could assume that the government has been really active… it wasn’t that long since the start of the End of Days. And they have established at least 164 protected grounds? It’s either that or they somehow knows about the coming of the End of Days and already prepared ahead. If it’s the latter that could means the Government somehow has some involvement in this matter.

“Well at least for the first time for so long we could actually get some rest oppa!” Haena chirped happily as she circled her hands around my arm.

“Well… I guess so.” I said as I looked at Dean “If I look at your outfit right now is it safe to say that you’re one of the people in charge of protecting this place?”

“Yes I am. I’m Head Strategist of this PG-27. And this Roh Jihoon here is my right hand man!” Dean proudly said.

“Congratulations then… I’m sure we’re in a good hand now.” I said as I extended my hand in which Dean accepted “And especially you Roh Jihoon-ssi, if Dean acknowledge you then I put my faith in you.”

“Don’t worry… I’ve been here for quite some time now and there’s no accidents involving those mutants. And I intend to keep it that way.” Dean assured us “Why don’t you go take a look on this place… It seems you’re healthy enough.”

“Well I intended to do so myself.”

“Don’t forget to bring your girlfriend here with you.” Dean said with… was that a hint of teasing that I felt? “You nailed it man! You’re dating with one of those Idol Girls!”

With that I immediately tried to give that guy a hit on the head in which he evaded smoothly and then on his way and not forgetting to say to have some fun here with Haena while Dean himself pull Soyumi with him… He’s either helping me to get sometime alone with Haena or he’s interested in Soyumi. When I looked at Haena she was all quiet and a little blushed? Her cheeks were reddish, or maybe because she’s using a blush-on.

“It’s the blush-on that I’m using!” Haena said as she turned away from me… she’s a psychic? How the heck she knew about that? And where would she get that blush-on anyway?

“Alright then… should we go for some sightseeing?” I asked as I extended my hand to Haena which she returned with a smile.

Once we’ve come out from the room that I was in, we’re in this corridor… Which looks like came from a movie setting. It looked high tech! You know those movies where they have this gray colored corridor which looked made from metal with some high tech design… I’m pretty much looking at it right now.

“You don’t seem amazed by all of this?” I asked.

“Oh this corridor? You were out for 4 days…  And I was awaked two days earlier from you. I was as amazed as you’re back then.” Haena explained.

That explained it… she woke up first. I gave a slight nod to her and then continue walking out of the corridor. While I was expecting for some well-maintained building at best what I see was far better than that. The whole building is like a set of a space colony from the anime Mobile Suit Gundam! I like that anime by the way… the best robotic anime in my own opinion. But the people in it still wear normal clothes… not those space suits… well I guess that was given, it’s not as we’re in space or something.

“Oppa! When I was lost yesterday…”

“Lost? You get lost yesterday?”

“Yeah… this place is pretty much new to me. I don’t really know my way around… even now.” Haena replied “Okay back to what I was saying... I saw this Beautiful Garden!”

“You saw a garden here?”

“Yes… and it’s an outdoor garden! Want to go see it with me?”

“Sure! Show me the way… but are you sure we’re not going to get lost?”

“Oppa!” Haena raised her tone a bit while she slapped me on my arm.

“Ouch! That’s hurts! You said it yourself that you don’t really know your way around here, didn’t you?”

“Well yes! But I never got lost more than once! I know the way to the garden.” Haena replied with a slight pout.

“Alright, alright… I’m just kidding Haena.” I said as I stifled some laugh “Okay then… lead the way to the garden.”

“Done! And while we’re on the way we’ll pass shopping block… maybe we could do some sightseeing there.”

“Really? There’s a shopping block here?” I asked in amazement “How big is this place anyway?”

“Yes they have a shopping block here and it’s quite big… I was told this place here have more than 5 levels and have the size of thrice of a soccer stadium.”

“”Wow… this place is quite big.” I said as we entered the shopping block… How would I know that we’re entering the shopping block you asked? This place is literally filled with people who were selling and buying things! I could see some people having transactions and all. And by then Haena suddenly dragged me into one of the stores… it seems like an accessories store. I should’ve have guessed… girls and their shopping habits.

“Looking for something Haena-ya?”

“Nothing just looking around… Oppa! Looked at this hairpin! It’s nice right?” Haena asked as she wears the hairpin on her head.

The hairpin that Haena’s wearing was a simple hairpin with a floral figurine on it.  She then tried the hairpin by pinning it on her right side of her head just right above her ear; it was simple but beautiful with her using it.

 

Floral Hairpin

 

“It looks really good on you, Haena.”

“Really?” Haena asked as she looked at the mirror before she took the hairpin off and put it back on its place.

”Don’t you want it?”

“Naaah… I told you before oppa. I’m just looking around; I have no intention of buying one.”

“Is that so? Well if you say so let’s go then, we still have plenty of places to visit right?”

“Okay! Let’s go!” Haena said as she grabbed my hand and start pulling me.

“Wait!”

“Huh? What is it oppa?”

“Could you wait outside…? I need to use the toilet.”

“Oh well, be quick oppa! I’ll wait outside.”

“Okay, I know.” I said as I head towards the clerk and asked her if I could use their store’s toilet.

“Sure! No problem, the toilet is that way.” The clerk said as she pointed to the left side of the store “And by the time you came back I’ll have the hairpin ready for you to take.”

I got surprised when the clerk said that… Is everyone around here turn into a psychic or something? How the heck the clerk knew about what I’m going to do? I looked at her amazed for a few moments before I heard a stifle of laugh by the clerk.

“Relax mister… I’m no psychic.” The clerk said while smiling with me whom of course makes me widened my eyes “You were going to the toilet sir?”

“Ah right…” I replied and then smiled back at the clerk “Thank you miss, you have such a beautiful smile you know.”

“You’re welcome… and thank you for the compliment.” The clerk said as she walked towards the floral hairpin that Haena tried on earlier.

And with that I head to the toilet, I really need to use the toilet mind you. And once I’m done I’m heading towards the clerk to get the hairpin and to say thank you.

“Here you go sir.” The clerk said as she gave me the flower hairpin “That would be $15.”

“Okay then…” I replied as I grabbed $15 from my pocket which was given to me by Dean earlier and then give it to the clerk “Here you go miss. And once again thank you, miss.”

“You’re welcome, okay now go her… don’t let her wait any longer.”

I smiled and then once again said thanks for her and then immediately head towards the store entrance to meet with Haena. I grabbed her hand and then said that I’m done and asked her to lead the way to anywhere she wants to go. For a couple of hours we’re doing some sightseeing and windows shopping… I thought we’ve visited almost all the store there are in this shopping block. We even visited some food stand and eat there... they tasted good! And thus time goes by and its night time.

“It is night already…” I said to Haena as we stepped out of a Family Restaurant as I saw the see through ceiling.

“Yeah… but the shopping block still so bright huh?”

“Well this is the shopping block after all, where people shop for things and foods. I bet it will be bright 24/7.”

“Yeah… you’re right oppa!”

“I wonder how the garden is at late night like this.”

“Ah you’re right! I was going to show you the garden earlier!” Haena said with a tint of sadness on her face.

“Well… we could try to go there and check it out.” I suggested.

“We could oppa?”

“Of course… we’ll never know right?”

“You’re right oppa! Well, let’s got then!” Haena said as she grabbed my hand and then start dragging me with her.

Finally we’ve arrived at the Garden Entrance… it’s still open. I guess this garden will never be closed… just think of it as a public park. You could always visit the park no matter what time of the day it is… the only different will only be the number of people there and the lighting.

But the garden was not your ordinary park… the place was pretty much illuminated up even during this late hours. The amount of people was almost non-existent though. I guess people pretty much just wanted to take a rest at these late hours. The government even made this garden for the people here? They’re quite nice huh?

“Good! The garden is still has sufficient lighting here!” Haena chirped “I thought it’s going to be so dark…”

“Well this is not exactly your normal kind of place anyway. I assume they would have proper lighting anywhere in this place.”

“Okay then… follow me! I found this one special spot.” Haena pulled me by the hand.

We’re not passing through the provided path instead Haena dragged me through the trees here. It’s quite far from the entrance as we took around 15 minutes walks already but apparently still haven‘t reached the spot that Haena mentioned. I could hardly remember the path we’ve been walking through because of all these trees. I hope Haena really good with directions here. If not… we could only hope for a miracle for someone to find us here in the middle of nowhere. The garden itself is pretty big and the trees are pretty vast… I couldn’t spot the wall surrounding it by now.

“We’re here oppa!” Haena exclaimed as we stepped out of the sea of trees into this one clearing.

Up above through the see-through ceiling I could see the moon shining brightly illuminating a body of water right in the center of the clearing, it’s a lake… they even form a lake here. Haena then released her hand from mine and then heading towards the body of water… once she reached the edges of the lake she stopped and then turned her face towards me. That sight was… divine… beautiful… all that I could do was kept on staring at Haena without even blinking once.

“Beautiful isn’t it oppa?” Haena asked.

“Yes… you are.” I murmured as a responded.

“Huh? What did you say oppa?” Haena asked again because she couldn’t hear the word that I said.

“Huh? Oh I say yes… it is beautiful.” I said as I found that the trees were much more interesting at that time.

“Yeah… cool huh? When I was lost I reached this spot without even knowing.” Haena explained “But it was on broad day light… there’s this flower bed to the far upper right side of the lake that you could see during the day.”

“But even though we couldn’t see the flower bed right now… The lake itself is pretty astounding.” I said as I approached her.

“Yeah you’re right oppa.” Haena agreed as she enjoys the view around the lake.

“Haena-ya…” I called to her.

“Yes oppa? What is it?” Haena asked as she looked at me.

“I have something for you.” I said as I pull the floral hairpin earlier from my pocket that it was visible to her.

“Oppa… that’s the flower hairpin from earlier, isn’t it?” Haena asked in a surprise.

“Yeah…” I responded “Do you mind if I put it on you?”

Haena did not answer that question verbally instead she stepped forward and then smiled with a slight nod. I gently clipped the hairpin onto her head on the right side just like she did earlier this afternoon. After I’ve done clipping the hairpin to her hair I stepped a few step back and then looked at her.

“The hairpin does fit you beautifully, Haena.” I said as I continue to look at her as she was basking in the moonlight which helped showed her beauty.

“Thank you, oppa.” Haena said as she gave me a hug.

But a few moments later a rustling sound was heard by me. It was slight… even Haena didn’t hear anything. But I definitely heard it… which instantly put me on alert mode.

“What is it oppa?”

“I heard something…” I answered but before even Haena could ask more the rustling behind the trees am getting more and more obvious as time passes. Haena circled her hands around my arm pretty tightly as she’s in alerted mode right now… the same as me. Did they put some wild beast here? I don’t think so… but then another people or worse… those mutants. And then a few moments later something jumped out of the trees.

“Haena, get right behind me, now!” I said as I shoved Haena behind me as the figure landed on the ground.