CHAPTER V

Survivors's Story

What the hell happened in just one day? These streets were literally flooding with those walkers! I have been wandering around for a couple hours now… and to make things worst it’s night time already. These things are getting more aggressive and getting more relentless by the minutes. I was chased around a couple of times by those walkers already and was lucky that I’m able to somehow lose them… but I don’t really have the stamina to do this anymore.

The building where I left Haena is right there! Just a couple more buildings from where I’m standing right now. How the hell I’m going to get through these walkers… I could just storm the place but then I won’t be able to get out as those things will be chasing me. I need some kind of distraction here… just to lure them out of here and then took Haena to safety.

“Hey you freak!” I widened my eyes when I heard someone was shouting I immediately turn my eyesight to the direction of the voice “Yeah… I’m talking to you, you rotten piece of meat!”

It’s Myungsoo! What the hell! I thought he was looking for a shelter together with Jiyeon and the others? What is he doing here, provoking those walkers? My minds were as full of question as I saw Myungsoo running away drawing plenty of those walkers that I don’t realize someone was approaching me from behind.

“Hey.” I was surprised by his voice that I literally jumped and pointed my Shotgun at him “Hey! Hey! It’s me Hyung! It’s me Kyuhyun.”

“I could have blast your face off you know!” I said as I lifted my shotgun out of his face and sighed with relieve.

“Well you didn’t… Thanks God for that.”

“What the hell are you doing here? And what the heck was Myungsoo doing provoking those walkers?” I asked in a stern low voice, I don’t want to attract any walkers left to us.

“Well you need the distraction to get rid some of the walkers right… and now you got one.” Kyuhyun said as he pointed to the street that was flooded with the walkers.

Well this is my chance now if I wanted to go through here… but what about Myungsoo? He was drawing those walker attentions to himself, and what making things worse was that once you got that plenty of walkers behind you it will attract quite a few special mutants such as Tanks or Hunters if you’re not careful.

“I know you’re worried about Myungsoo, but hey… as much as I know he survive till this day that got to be some prove of his capability right?” Kyuhyun trying to convinced me.

“Well… I guess you’re right.” I said hesitantly “Okay then, but what about you?”

“What about me?”

“Why are you here? Who is protecting Jiyeon and Seohyun?”

“It’s them who made us come here… ”

“They made you to come here?” I asked in shocked “You shouldn’t just agree to that so easily!”

“I heard from Myungsoo that Jiyeon is holding a 3rd Dan on Taekwondo and I know for sure that Seohyun is holding a 3rd Dan in Geomdo… and so I think they know how to fend for themselves for a while.”

“Geomdo?”

“It’s the way of the sword… similar to what Japanese called Kendo. You do saw that wooden sword that she holstered on her back didn’t you?”

“I guess I remember a long object was attached to her back… but I don’t know it’s a wooden sword.”

“Now you know… So just worry about finding and saving Haena for now. The sooner we find her the sooner we could go back to Seohyun and Jiyeon.”

“Very well then… by the way whose idea it was to come and help me?”

“Well actually it’s Jiyeon who convince Myungsoo to back you up first as the both of them were saved by you.” Kyuhyun started explaining the situation and I nodded in acknowledgement “I wasn’t going to come with Myungsoo but Seohyun made me… she said that’s the right thing to do because as human we have to help each other as it what differentiates us from those monsters.”

I chuckled when I saw Kyuhyun actually rolled his eyes around when she mention Seohyun saying that it’s the right thing to do to help Myungsoo and me. But that’s not the only one that made me chuckled… Seohyun said the same thing as what Haena said to me. And anyway I could use all the help that I can get right now and the distraction that Myungsoo gave were exactly what I needed to continue.

“Is there something funny about what Seohyun said?” Kyuhyun asked in bafflement “Myungsoo and Jiyeon were also chuckled when Seohyun mentioned that.”

“No… there’s nothing funny about what Seohyun said that’s for sure.” I replied by and without knowing it I smiled weakly “It’s just that the words that she said was the same thing with what Haena said to me, which encouraged me to help Jiyeon and Myungsoo before.”

"Ow... that's why... okay then let's save yours soon to be Haena then."

 “Okay… here’s the plan.” I said as I looked towards Kyuhyun “The last place where I left Haena was inside the building over there by the hook.”

“Oh, you mean the clinic over there?”

“What clinic?”

“There… the building by the hook… that was a family clinic.”

“Oh no wonder there’s this spacious room with chairs in it… It’s the clinic’s waiting room.” I contemplated “Okay whatever… so the plan is pretty simple. We go inside the building, look for Haena and some of medicinal supplies while we’re at it, and then we get the hell out of there.”

“But what if we couldn’t find her there?”

“Well… I’m sure she left some clues about whereabouts somehow.”

“I’m a little skeptical about that… you know those walkers… they don’t wait for you to do anything they just come at you.”

“Yeah I know the chances are slim… but it’s worth the shot. Look if you don’t want to you could always go back where to your Seohyun is, it’s okay… I’m not going to force you to do this.”

“She’s not my Seohyun okay…” Kyuhyun responded “Well not yet at least, and she will hate me if she knows that I left without helping you saving your Haena.”

I chuckled a bit after hearing that and said “And you need to get to her not to hate you if you want her to be your Seohyun.”

“Yeah… you got the drift Hyung.” Kyuhyun replied “And I will definitely doing the same thing as you’re doing right now if it was Seohyun.”

“Well for your information… Haena is not my Haena as well… yet.”

“And you need to get her to safety if you want her to be your Haena, right hyung?” Kyuhyun said with a smile which triggered our chuckles.

“Okay then… ” I said as I stood up but then stopped as I remember something “Do you have any weapons with you?”

“Yeah… I found this baseball bat on my way over here.” Kyuhyun said as he showed me his wooden baseball bat “And here… I got this steel pipe too; shotgun is too noisy for now.”

“You’re right… Thanks.” I said as I took the steel pipe “I was planning on using my shotgun as a bat, but I guess this better.”

“But won’t you have trouble bringing that shotgun…” Kyuhyun asked me as I sheathed the shotgun on the holster on my back.

“What about my shotgun?”

“That’s a shotgun holster on your back?” Kyuhyun asked “I thought it was just some suspender part of your clothes.”

“Well… looks could be deceiving. Come now, we need to move now we don’t really have much time.”

I looked over to the street in front of the clinic to see on how many walkers are left there. There are only about five walkers and they’re just standing there waiting. I signaled Kyuhyun that we will be charging on my count… I slowly count until three and then took off towards the building and Kyuhyun followed swiftly, he’s pretty used to this. On our way to clinic we managed to whack away a couple of those walkers and avoid the rest of them… there’s more than what I saw before hidden by the buildings around them.

We reached the front gate of the clinic and we’re each standing on the left and right side of the gate checking the insides before we stormed in. By then I detected movement coming from behind the wall behind Kyuhyun… seeing that there’s no walkers inside I immediately lead him to enter the Clinic vicinity before anything that behind the wall show itself. We thread carefully towards the main door which seems to be ruined now… I’m as sure as hell that I left that door closed and intact. I grimaced when I imagining the possibilities of what happened here and Kyuhyun saw that could only gulped and waiting for my lead.

I stepped in carefully inside the clinic and saw a wrecked place… damn! What happened here while I was gone? When I left Haena here the building is pretty much intact with only some of the chairs were overturned and some blood over the walls. But now… the building has these big holes on the wall and there’s seems to be more blood. There are also bodies of what seems to be walkers all over the place, did the place got overrun or something?

I and Kyuhyun split up after I’ve gave him a description on how Haena looks like and looked around carefully for any signs of life on this clinic but we found none of it. We’re lucky that this clinic isn’t that big and there’s only one floor existing. By then I started to overturn the bodies to make sure that none of them was Haena… Kyuhyun followed suit in checking the bodies even the one inside the rooms. Some of the bodies were in a very bad condition… some of them are rotting beyond recognition. I couldn’t found anything relating to Haena here… I headed towards the waiting room again to regroup with Kyuhyun and finding out if actually found anything.

“So did you find anything?” I asked to Kyuhyun who just entered the waiting room.

“No… there’s no signs of life anywhere. But...” Kyuhyun said but then he hesitates about something.

“What is it?” I asked away…

“Well, I found someone who matches the description of Haena that you gave to me.”

“You found her? Where? Why don’t you bring her here?”

“Well…” Kyuhyun somehow choked on his own words.

“What is it? Where did you found her?” I asked once again but got no direct answers from him… but then he was looking towards the room where he came from just a few minutes ago.

I immediately ran inside the room to find Haena while Kyuhyun just standing there in silent. I stepped into the room slowly with fear instilled in my heart. There’s usually only one thing that happened to make someone to act like Kyuhyun acted before and it’s definitely not good. It seems the room used to be some laboratory or something as I saw plenty of laboratory equipment such as microscopes, measuring glasses, some syringes and plenty more.

I stepped in further as I couldn’t see the person that Kyuhyun said he saw… and when I was about to reach the end of the room I saw a pair of legs from behind a cabinet. My heartbeat jumped when I saw the legs… I’m praying and hoping that it’s not hers… I know how this sounds but I seriously prayed that pair of legs belongs to another person. I promised her something and I’ll regret it my whole life if didn’t manage to actually fulfill it.

I slowly approached the cabinet with my hand clasped tightly that I even feel some kind of stings to my palms. It must be my fingernails that dug into my skins; my nails are indeed a little long over the course time after The End of Days. I my hand reached over to the cabinet and then slowly move towards the back of the cabinet. I stopped when I was right in front of the legs… I will be able to see who was behind the cabinet just by taking another step. I gulped my own saliva, and then with my heart racing like crazy I took another step which revealed the person who owns the leg behind the Cabinet.

“Haena…” My heart almost stopped when I looked at the girl which laying cold on the floor.