CHAPTER VIII

Survivors's Story

“A Tank! Ready your weapons!” I exclaimed as I pumped my shotgun and then aiming it at the silhouette.

“Oppa! We’ve another problem here!” Haena said as she pointed her gun into a whole different direction.

I took a look at the direction in which Haena pointed her gun and there I saw a Hunter crouching and ready to attack all of us. Damn! A Tank at one side and a Hunter at another side… our future seems kind of bleak right now. A Hunter is agile enough to cause us problems taking it down while a tank is formidable enough to withstand most of our attack. And both of them have tremendous Killing capability equipped with their traits which is one swift attack for the Hunter and one strong attack for the Tank. Facing one of them already gave us many problems already… and now we have to face both of them at once? What could be worse than this huh? This is the worst that could happen right?

“Hyung! I hate to break it to you but we’ve got an additional problem here!” This time Myungsoo directed his aim to another point.

Ough… me and my big mouth! I directed my line of sight at the direction of Myungsoo’s gun point and there stands one completely unknown mutant. The sheer size of its body is overwhelming… it has double the size of the biggest Tank that I’ve encountered. But this one is much more… stylish? Well it wears some kind of trench coat which has the color black that cover its body from the neck below with some kind of metal accessories. But from just one look I knew… this one was much, much more dangerous that the Tank.

“What should we do, Oppa?” Haena asked in a little bit panic.

“Lockhart…”

“Lock… what?” Haena asked back in confusion.

“My name is Damien Lockhart.” I said loud enough for everyone to listen “Well we’re in trouble even before I introduce myself so I figure I might as well tell you guys and girls my name.”

All of them looked at me with a mix of expression between confused and amused and then Kyuhyun said “Well Damien hyung… I guess it’s not your name that brings bad luck.”

“Yeah Damien oppa… it’s your presence that seems attracts them.” Jiyeon said added this time with a little joking tone.

“It seems like it.” I said once again with a nervous smile “By the way… It’s nice to meet all of you, especially you Haena.”

“Damien-ssi… Why would you say it like that we’re not going to make it?” Bohye asked.

“Well… With these four mutants surrounding us… our future looks bleak Bohye noona” Myungsoo answered for me.

Yeah… with the four of them we don’t really have a chance here… wait… four…?  Myungsoo said four just then… wasn’t he? I immediately looked towards the hostilities around us and speak to myself “One Tank by my side… One Hunter on Haena’s side which is right at my left… And the unknown mutant on Myungsoo’s side which is on my right… and the last one would be.”

“At my side Hyung…” Kyuhyun which was right behind me said “It’s another Hunter.”

What the heck…? Our chances here are getting thinner and thinner by the minutes. We got ourselves two agile and deadly Hunter, one strong and formidable Tank, and one unknown mutant which is deadly just by its look.  How the heck we could survive this.

And then suddenly the unknown started walking towards us… with each step the ground shook. I don’t think the ground going to hold if this thing decided to took a jump at us. And soon to follow the Tank roared and lunged forward with a considerable speed. But… it lunged itself not at us… it lunged itself towards the unknown mutant.

The Tank rammed itself to the unknown mutant which caused it to be pushed backward. No wonder they called as Tanks… their defense and power were not to be taken lightly. But then suddenly the Hunter at Kyuhyun’s side jumps towards him and soon the hunter at Haena’s side follow suite. Both Haena and I directed our gun point towards one Hunter (Haena’s side) and then Myungsoo and Kyuhyun directed their gunpoint at theirs. But before we could even pull the trigger something flew by and crashed with our hunter while suddenly a fist crashed at Kyuhyun’s and Myungsoo Hunter.

 “What the…?” Bohye baffled as she watched what have just happened.

“I’m as baffled as you are Bohye-ssi.” I said “But suggest we should use this chance to get out of here before any of them decided to come at us… especially that new one.”

“I agree with Damien hyung here… It can single handedly handle one Tank and two Hunters… literally!” Myungsoo added.

And with that everyone nodded as an acknowledgement and then with my lead we immediately heading downstairs to get out of this building. We won’t be taking any chances here… but what was once an empty hallway now swarming with a horde of walkers… they we’re attracted by all the noise produced upstairs. I could still hear the fighting happened upstairs, especially the Tank’s roar and the sound of something hitting the walls many times.

“Take out the one that matters!” I commanded “Leave the rest alone! We got to move fast!”

Out of nowhere we formed a single line where I was the one leading them… each of the person with a gun would took charge of their own area of sight. I took front left and right, while Myungsu middle left and Bohye middle right and last but not least Kyuhyun taking charge of the back left and right. And between them were the other girls which provides backup, if they hold a gun, for the one in charge respectively which are Haena right at my back, Jiyeon at Myungsoo’s back and then Dia and Soyumi on the front and the back of Bohye and then Seohyun right in front of Kyuhyun. The one holding the guns were Haena, Dia and Soyumi while Jiyeon and Seohyun holding a melee weapon for anything that came to close.

We’re swiftly shooting and bashing our way out of the building with ease as those walkers were slow and poses no actually threat as long as they’re not having you surrounded. And what they lack in quality they covered in quantity… these walkers travels in hordes and if you’re surrounded by one of these hordes… you’re basically dead. Luckily due to the building topography they don’t have the chances to surround us and it actually limits the quantity of those walkers which made us easier to handle them.

“Almost there! Keep up the good work!” I encouraged the rest as we’re reaching the first floor.

But as soon as we reached the first floor suddenly the ceiling that was not far from us cracked. And the crack was expanding quite far. Then I gave out a command to the rest “Run! The ceiling is going to collapse on us!”

As we ran outside the building the ceiling collapsed which caused quite a tremors to the surrounding. We ducked on the ground to avoid the flying debris and all… as the dust subsides I looked around us to assess the situation. I can faintly hear some around us… it seems we’re surrounded here.

“Everyone… stand up.” I said in low voice “I think we’re in trouble here.”

“Tell me something that I don’t know Damien hyung.” Myungsoo said as he was coughing due to the dust.

Moments later after the dust have subsided considerably every single one of us widened our eyes… We got surrounded by a horde of walkers! And they’re wasting no time coming to us! By instinct we immediately try shooting and bashing all the walkers that has come to close on us.

“Oppa! We have to do something!” Haena said “We’re running out of ammo here! We’re not going to last long if this continues.”

“I know! I’m trying to think here!” I replied to here while shooting the walkers.

There’s seems to be no end to the walkers that coming at us. Every time we killed a walker another replaced it place and it seems only a matter of time before we got overrun by them. All of us who had some distance before right now were back to back with almost no space from each other. Damn! Is this it? But then something flew by and taking multiple walkers with it opening a path for us to run.

“RUN” I shouted while I taking the lead to run through the opened path.

As I saw the side I saw a Hunter trying to get up, which soon failed as it dropped dead, from the ground and around it there’s some walkers’ body dismembered and scattered all around it. And then the Unknown emerges from the rubbles with one of its hands holding the head of the Tank and below its feet there’s a crushed Hunter’s body. The Unknown won against the three of them. But I knew it… that creature won’t be on our side… It just considered the Tank and The Hunters as obstacles only and that’s the only reason for it to destroy them. And now it’s chasing after us! How the heck we supposed to win against something that could best a combined effort of Tank and Hunters so easily.

“It’s chasing after us!” Seohyun pointed the obvious.

“Yeah! I think we’ve all notice that! Don’t look back, run!” Kyuhyun exclaimed as she took Seohyun’s hand and grabbed it tight.

After running at full speed for a few minutes we’re starting to lose our speed. Did this thing has a target or was its target to destroy every one of us. With that in our mind then I said “We need to split up!”

“We need to stick together!” Seohyun said.

“But Seohyun-ssi by sticking together we’re just making sure our demise.” I replied “If we split up, at least some of us will make it alive.”

“Let’s do it.” Kyuhyun said with determination and soon every one nodded reluctantly.

“Okay then… up front the road split into 3 ways.” I said “We will each take our own way by then.”

“But how will we regroup?” Haena asked.

“I’m afraid we won’t be regrouping for the time being. Even if the mutant decided to follow one of the groups it won’t be wise to chase after them.” I said.

“I agree with oppa… The mutant might turn around and chase after everyone that chased after them.” Seohyun said while short on breath.

“So once you’re not being chased anymore, find a shelter and give it a rest before doing anything.” I said “Good luck to all of us.”

With that everyone suddenly were on their own mind… they seemed to be thinking of something. Maybe because they know that they will be on their own again just like before we met… or maybe they’re thinking the chances of survivability if they were to go with someone. But I don’t think they had that many time… as we’re going to reach the intersection just in couple of seconds. The earth below us tremors signaling that the unknown mutant was getting closer and closer with each step it took… I, Haena, and Soyumi took the right path while Myungsoo, Jiyeon, and Bohye took the left path and finally Kyuhyun, Seohyun and Dia took the straight path. From there on out we’re on our own… at least until fate decided that we would met again.

And just as what might everyone thought… the unknown could only chose one path to pursue. But there’s a bad news following it… well at least bad news for my group though. For the others it will be one, helluva, good news. The mutant decided to chase after my group… Damn it… my feet almost giving up on me right now and I could see that Haena and Soyumi were already short on breath. I got to think of something fast… or else we’re dead!

“I need you girls to let out every ounce of stamina that you have left and follow me!” I said after I saw another fork road up head by the curve. The girls slightly nodded and while trying their best to keep up with me.

I planned to trick the unknown mutant by doing a sudden turn by the fork road. Especially since the fork road near a curve road which means we could actually out of its sight for a slight moment if we’re fast enough. And then I signaled the girls to increase their speed while I increase my own pace… If this was a horse race and we’re the horse you could say that we’re doing the Last Spurt. With no pun intended, whether we succeeded or not it will be our last spurt and we won’t have any energy left to do anything after this.

The fork road consist of two ways… straight ahead and a turn to the right. I don’t really have any time to look back as I’m putting everything onto my last spurt here. But I could see from my peripheral sight that the two girls were trying their best to follow me. Once we’ve reached the for I immediately took a deep turn to the right hoping that the girls could follow swiftly and to our luck there’s another turn that we could take, it seemed to be some kind of an establishment but I couldn’t really pay attention to it right now. And then I took another turn to the right to enter that establishment to hide behind the walls and soon followed by two skidding noise.

I rested my back at the wall while closing my eyes and panting hard. If the mutant found us now, we’re definitely dead. I then opened my eyes and looked to my side to make sure that the girls are here with me. Thank God they’re here… they’re right at my side; both of them had their back against the wall while sitting on the ground, panting hardly. I guess it was hard on them to run like that… and then suddenly the footsteps stopped.

The mutant seemed to be looking for us as we’re suddenly disappear from its line of sight… moments later the footsteps started again but it came closer by the minutes. The mutant decided to take the same route as the one that we’ve took! I could only pray that the mutant won’t be trashing around destroying anything… including the walls that we’re behind. When I looked to my side both Haena and Soyumi hugged each other with both of their eyes closed… scared of what might happen to them if the mutant found us. I could see Soyumi’s tears rolling down her cheeks…

God seems to favor us right now… as I heard the sound of the footsteps were getting farther and farther. After a few moments there’s no more noise to be heard aside from our own breath. I took a peek behind the wall to make sure that the mutant was long gone… and it was. There’s no trace of the mutant around us anymore… soon a wave of relieve hit on me as I lose the power on both of my legs which made me sliding down to the ground. My head is pounding hard due to the intense chase by that mutant… but that’s not the end as I heard a low growl near us. Soon three figures came out from the shadows, limping on its way towards us. Walkers! Damn it! I have no more stamina to do anything! I looked to where Haena and Soyumi were and there I saw them passed out, laying on the ground… the fatigue has taken its toll on them and so am I.

“Damn it… Haena… Soyumi-ssi…” I stuttered between my breaths as I losing my consciousness due to the fatigue “Haha… I guess this is it then… I’m sorry Haena… Soyumi-ssi… I couldn’t protect you girls.”

And then everything went blurry as I could feel my own body fell to the side onto the ground… and then slowly as the walkers came closer my vision was getting darker and darker while my body became numb. And then everything went black.