CHAPTER VII

Survivors's Story

“Hey you, turn around.” I said to the girl with a purple-ish hair that I held hostage “Slowly… and don’t try anything funny.”

The girl than slowly turned herself around as I told her too... her features were quite fair even though she looked messed up. Well I don’t think anyone would be able to actually groom him or her self during this kind of time. Heck you have your life to worry for instead of your look. It took a couple of moments before I finally recognized the girl that is facing me right now.

“Bohye?” I asked for her confirmation as I lower my shotgun “You’re Bohye, aren’t you?”

The girl then widened her eyes and then asked back to me “How… How do you know my name?”

“So that means the girl with the black girl is Soyumi and the girl with the red hair is Dia?”

“Wha…” Bohye baffled on how do know their names and she lower her hands “How… Who are you?”

All the three opposing girl suddenly widened their eyes when I actually say their name… Soyumi and Dia even looked at each other briefly but still hesitate to turn around and look at me because of the condition. I couldn’t actually see the other girl’s face though… all that I could see is her hands holding a gun which is pointed towards Kyuhyun.

I immediately walk out from behind the pillars to make sure of my suspicion. As I finally out of the pillar’s path I have a direct sight to the girl with brown hairs who’s holding a gun. The girl then looked at me and has her eyes and my eyes widened when our eyes met with each other.

“Oppa?” Haena called to me.

“Haena!” I kind of shouted and ran towards her and then hugged her “You’re alive… you’re okay, aren’t you?”

“Yeah… I’m fine” Haena said as she dropped her gun and returned my hug tighter; I could feel that her tears fell on my shoulder. I then breathe a sigh of relieve “Oppa… I missed you…”

We stayed like that for a couple of minutes while I occasionally her hair… I missed her… and thank God she’s alive and well. And the others seems to have lower their weapons after seeing me and Haena hugged each other… while my group mates which is Jiyeon, Myungsoo, Seohyun, and Kyuhyun knew why, Haena’s group mates, Bohye and Dia, were left baffled by themselves except for Soyumi which I presume she must have heard about me from Haena. But then again if Soyumi knew… shouldn’t the other know as well?

I released my hug and grab hold of her shoulders and then asked her “What happened to you? And how did you manage to find your friend there?”

“Well that’s kind of a long story…” Haena said to me and then looked at the others “Maybe we all should sit while I tell you about it?”

I then smiled at Haena as I wipe her tears from her face… she still look as beautiful as always. It feels like that it has been months since the last time I saw her when it’s actually only has been no more than two days at max. All of us then headed towards the center of the opening and then sit together in circular form… of course with Haena exactly on my left hugging my arm. On my right there’s Jiyeon and Myungsoo, Kyuhyun and Seohyun, and then Bohye, Dia, and Soyumi right at Haena’s left side.

“So… how should we address you and your friends there Haena-ssi” Seohyun asked

“Well you could just call me Haena as we’re born in the same year”

“Really? You we’re born in 1991 too, Haena-ssi?”

“Yes… we’re at the same age. And I believe I’ve told you to just call me Haena right?”

“Well you have to excuse her Haena-ssi.” Kyuhyun answered in Seohyun stead “This young girl here is pretty much accustomed on using polite gestures.”

“Oh I see… I do hope when we get closer you’ll be more comfortable with me Seohyun-ssi.”

“Maybe I will Haena-ssi… but for now I’ll stick to this and you could comfortably call me Seohyun.”

“Very well Seohyun-ah… and the one who right beside me here, Soyumi, born in 1992.” Haena continues her introduction.

“Is that so? Well then it’s nice to meet you Soyumi-ssi.”

“The pleasure is all mines, Seohyun eonni… I hope you don’t mine I called you eonni.” Soyumi greeted Seohyun back “And please everyone… just act comfortably around me.”

“Oh not at all Soyumi-ssi… please by all means be comfortable towards me.” Seohyun replied.

“Okay then… I’ll continue my introduction.” Haena said “The one beside Soyumi is…”

“Oh! I know Dia sunbaenim!” Jiyeon suddenly blurted out “She debuted in the same year as us T-ara.”

“Dia was born in 1992 as well… same as me!” Soyumi added cheerfully.

“Yes I am… But I was debuted a couple of months earlier than your group. And you could just call me Dia eonni, Jiyeon-ssi and as the rest of you as well, just be comfortable around me.”

“Alright then Dia eonni… you should be comfortable around us as well. You could just call me Jiyeon.” Jiyeon said representing us.

“And then the eldest in our group is Bohye eonni… she was born in 1990.” Haena added.

“It’s nice to meet you all.” Bohye greeted us all.

“The pleasure is all ours.” I returned her greetings.

“So I guess that’s all for the introduction from us.”  Haena finished her introduction.

“Well I’m pretty sure all of your group must have known about me, Seohyun, Jiyeon, and Myungsoo here.” Kyuhyun said.

“Well pretty much, yeah.” Dia responded “Who wouldn’t know about SNSD, T-ARA, SUPER JUNIOR, and INFINITE?”

“I don’t know about SNSD and SUJU but there are people out there who don’t know anything about us, T-ara, Dia eonni.”

“Well at least you’re still better known than us Jiyeon-ah” Haena responded to Jiyeon statement earlier.

“Well of course… They debuted much earlier than your group Haena-ssi. Of course they’re better known.” Myungsoo interupted “I’m pretty sure if your group had more time before the end of days came… your group will be pretty well known.”

“Well thank you for your compliment Myungsoo-ssi, but I guess we will never know now… won’t we?” Bohye replied.

“Well I guess that pretty much true,  Bohye noona.”

“Okay, that should cover the introduction neatly and now… Haena, what happened? How did you get here? How did you meet with your group here?” I asked in curiosity.

“Well actually oppa… after a few hours you left me inside that clinic and went to distract that monster I didn’t just stay hiding. I was so worried about you that I actually decided to try look for you.”

“What? You did what?” I interrupted with a surprised look.

“I’m fine oppa! I’m doing just fine… I’m here, aren’t I?” Haena said as she held linked her hand with mine to calm me down… and she did a great job at it “Well, once I get out of the clinic I checked the surrounding area just as we always did a couple months back together. Safety first right… especially in time like this. The coast was clear and there is no danger at all, and with that I decided to track you down. ”

“Wow eonni! You could actually track people?” Jiyeon interrupted.

“Well it’s pretty easy in case of tracking Oppa here.” Haena replied and continue her story “Since he was distracting a monster that pretty much destroys everything in its path.”

“Ah… you followed the trail of destruction that the Tank left didn’t you?” Kyuhyun interjected.

“Yes, I did. I followed the trail of destruction that the monster left behind… but it was not that easy. The Tanks seems to be pretty noisy, didn’t it oppa?”

“Yeah… I really get sick of its roaring though. But every time the Tanks destroy something it roars and not to mention the racket that the Tank caused… All that noise attracted walkers all around didn’t it?”

“Yeah… there were a lot of walkers on the path that I followed that caused me to take a lot of detours. And then there were these strange creatures that have blades in their arms…”

“Ah! I know that! Both me and Myungsoo oppa here were running from it back then.” Jiyeon intercepted.

“Yeah… that thing is bloody fast and the blades on its arms could cut through steel like it was a tofu!” Myungsoo added.

“And while we’re escaping from it Myungsoo oppa got hurt so I had to carry him but when everything looked bleak for us…” Jiyeon stopped her talk and then rose and then approached me and put both of her hands on my shoulder each “This oppa came to our rescue! So both Myungsoo oppa and I are indebted to this awesome oppa here.”

“I told you before Jiyeon… you should thank Haena instead of me.” I calmly replied to Jiyeon as I looked into Haena’s eyes and smiled.

“Thank me? Thanking me for what oppa?” Haena asked curiously.

“Hyung said that he helped us because of you, Haena noona.” Myungsoo answered.

“Because of me?” haena asked as she looked at me with confusion written in her face.

“Oh! I know about this one!” Kyuhyun interjected which caused Haena and her friends to looked at Kyuhyun at once.

“You knew oppa?” Seohyun also asked in curiosity.

“Well… she’s pretty much like you on that part.”

“Like me? On what part are you talking about oppa?”

“Well… remember when both you and Jiyeon insisted us on helping our Hyung here?”

“Yes… I remember. What about it?”

“Well you did say it is the right thing to do to help each other because that is what differentiates us from those monsters.”

“Yes… that sentence, that sentence that you said to me once before Haena, was the reason for me to save them.” I said as I tighten my grip on her hand.

“Ah… that words.” Both of Haena and Seohyun talked in the same time.

Some of us smiled and some of us chuckled at when both Haena and Seohyun talked together in harmony. It was just like that they have one single mind at that time. They even looked at each other and then chuckled to themselves… they have the same perception about humanity.

“Okay so… what happened next, Haena?” I asked Haena to continue her story.

“Well… I took another detour of course. I could tell just by looking at it… that creature was dangerous… I don’t want to take any chances.” Haena continued her story “I continued following the traces that were left until I reached this Construction site where I saw a dead carcass of that bladed arms creature and some traces of fight broke out.”

“What? You reached the Construction site?” I asked as I widened my eyes “When did you reach the site?”

“I don’t know it’s rather dark already but the carcass seems to be a fresh kill though… there was blood still flowing from it.”

“Wait… if so why didn’t we bumped into each other? Me and both Jiyeon and Myungsoo traced back where I came from. If you’re following the path that set by that Tank we should’ve met.”

“Well I do tell you before Oppa… I took a lot of detour.” Haena start explaining “I came up from the right path which is I’m pretty sure do not have those destroyed wall and everything.”

“Ah… I came from the left path.” I nodded in acknowledgement “So that means that we missed each other just in seconds’ right?”

“Yeah… it looked like it.” Haena answered as she nodded slowly.

“So what happened next?” Soyumi asked Haena, which actually took me by surprise.

“Huh? You didn’t know what happened next, Soyumi-ssi?” I asked.

“Well… you could say since we met her here… it’s been pretty hectic.” Soyumi said as she rubs her nape with her hand “I guess we simply forgot to ask.”

“Hectic as in…” I asked again.

“We’ll be getting into that later oppa.” Haena interjected and I just nodded in acknowledgement “The next thing was that I check the construction site for a brief moment just to make sure that I didn’t miss you there, which apparently I did. After around 10 minutes or so I came to a conclusion that oppa wasn’t there anymore as I could see some footprints that are heading back towards where it came from. So I decided to trace back from where I came from, you did promise me that you’ll be back for me. So when I didn’t see you there I was thinking of going back to the clinic to wait for you.”

“And that’s when things get pretty hectic for us for the first time here.” Bohye suddenly interjected.

“Oh… so this is where it gets interesting.” Jiyeon said with a big smile.

“Jiyeon-ah!” Myungsoo shushed Jiyeon up by nudging her.

“Hehe… I’m sorry.” Jiyeon apologized with her tongue slightly poking out (merong).

“Well, Jiyeon’s not wrong there though.” Dia added “Let’s just hear the continuation from Haena.”

And with that Haena nodded and then continues “Well what Bohye eonni said is right… that’s where things started to went downhill for me. On the way back I stumbled upon Soyumi there… at first I’m unable to actually recognized her since her appearances at that time was of a total wreck!”

“Hey! It’s not that bad!” Soyumi claimed with a pout.

“Soyumi… seriously?” Dia said with a smirk which succeeded making some of us laugh especially the girls.

“Alright then… let me continue my story for now okay?” Haena asked for confirmation which receives everyone’s nods “Just as I said before someone with a vain pride interruption…”

And with that sentence Soyumi practically pounced at Haena while shouting the word eonni and then playfully trying to choke Haena… which was a sure fire to obtain laughter from everyone. I like this situation… it’s just like that nothing went wrong with this world. But I knew that was just a faint illusion that will be broken once we’ve mention anything related to the current situation. But then again, who am I to rob them from this moment in which they can have something normal. And then slowly I joined them in laughter almost like naturally.

“Okay… we have enough playing around.” Haena stuttered between her laughter and slowly gaining composure “When I found Soyumi she was battered all over the place… it’s just like that she was getting beaten up by someone which was the main reason why I couldn’t recognize her back then. I carefully approached her as I wasn’t sure that she was a human or another walkers I even almost shot her head we she suddenly reaching out to me.”

“Haena eonni could be so cruel at times… Oppa! You need to be careful around Haena eonni!” Soyumi said when she sit behind me and then put her arms around me.

“Yah! Soyumi, you!” Haena shouted as she’s the one who pounced at Soyumi this time.

“Oppa help! Save me from Haena eonni!” She playfully yelled while Haena performing sleeper hold on her.

With a little chuckle I grabbed Haena by the waist and then pulled her to seat beside me… Haena immediately blushed so hard that her cheeks’ have the same color as a boiled crab “So… do please continue your story Haena. I think you have enough with torturing your dongsaeng.”

“Bu… bu… but, she’s the one started it!” Haena stuttered as she thinks that the floor was the most interesting thing there was. Bohye and Dia could only smile and shook their head while watching Haena and Soyumi arguing like that… it seemed that it has been a while for them to actually to be able to smile, laugh, and act like this.

“Yeah… I know. But you’re eonni right? It is not the other way around.”

“I know… ” Haena sighed and then continues her story “Well it turned out that she was running away from something. She was running away from that Bladed Arms creature.”

“Hunter…” Kyuhyun said.

“Hun… ter?” Haena asked a little confused.

“We called it Hunter, because of its Hunter like qualities… relentless, agile, and pretty much stays on target.”

“Ah… okay then…. Thank you Kyuhyun-ssi” Haena thanked Kyuhyun for the information “Soyumi was running away from a hunter… and how did I find out what chased after her? It was because soon after that, that Hunter came out of nowhere just a few meters from us.”

“What? It showed up near you girls Haena-ssi?” Seohyun asked.

“Yes, Seohyun-ah… and soon after that the Hunter lunged towards us with its blade readied to cut us into pieces. Both I and Soyumi were literally stunted. We couldn’t move a single muscle as we’re scared stiffs… I remember that I couldn’t even scream, my voice didn’t come out like it supposed to be.” Haena said as she seemed to be shivering from remembering that event so did Soyumi, her smiling face has become non-existence… all that I could do for Haena was hugging her tighter just to tell her that I’m here at her side, while Bohye and Dia hugged Soyumi.

“But… when we thought that we’re about to die Bohye eonni suddenly showed up and then fired her gun.” Soyumi added.

“I missed though… but it was enough to serve my purpose which was to distract it.” Bohye told us.

“Yes… after the shot has been made Bohye eonni just yelled at us, ordering us to run away from there.” Haena continues her story “The both of snapped out of our daze and then immediately started running away from there with Bohye eonni and Dia following us tightly at our back.”

“The Hunter relentlessly chasing after us not even a gunshot could throw its attention anymore.” Dia continues from where Haena left of “It’s only after using our one and only flash grenade which blinded it for a few moments that we’re able to escape from it.”

“You had a flash grenade?” I asked.

“Well, I got it from a military guy’s dead body.” Bohye answered “It is how I obtain the gun and some bullets as well.”

“So all of you survived your first ordeal… how about the others?” I asked “You did say you’re having a hectic day after you met with Haena again. I presume that’s not the last of your problems…”

“As a matter fact… yes oppa. That’s not the last of our problem here.” Haena answered “We’re here in this building right now because of that problem.”

“So Haena-ssi… you’re basically saying you’re here right now because all of you hiding from something?” Seohyun asked.

“Yes… we are.”

“What was it? What drives you into hiding here?” Jiyeon asked in worried tone.

“Well… we’re here because we’re hiding from…” Haena said but then interrupted because of a sudden roar echoes throughout the building and followed the roar was the sound of a destroyed brick walls. Everyone was tensed upon hearing those sounds and directed their sight at the direction of the noise. I picked up my shotgun just to be ready… that roar was known by every single living soul here.  Moments later another roar was heard and with it one of the pillars was destroyed and a figure came forth from the dust... that silhouette… there’s no mistaking it.

 “A Tank! Ready your weapons!” I exclaimed as I pumped my shotgun and then aiming it at the silhouette.