CHAPTER I

Survivors's Story

“Arrrrgggggghhhhh!” I screamed at the top of my lung feeling upset.

And the next thing I knew I was laying on my back with this girl beside me with her left hand covering my mouth and the other hand signaling me to be quiet.

“Oppa! Are you crazy?” She spoke with a low and stern voice accompanied with I’m going to kill you look “Do you want them to swarm all over us here?”

I raise both of my hands signaling that I gave up followed by a sigh. But seriously with all of these happenings I really need to release at least some of my stress. And the only thing that I could think of was to scream at the top of my lungs. But I guess that was one hell of a stupid move… just like what Haena said.

“Yeah maybe…” I said as I moved Haena’s hand from my mouth “Oh and by the way… You’re smelly!”

Haena’s eyes widened upon my statement of her smell and then she mouthed something that I believe to be do you want to die sentence. I grinned at her… Hey, teasing her and then watching her reaction seems to be a good way to release some stress. I should’ve thought about this earlier.

“So… is it clear?”

“Yeah… I guess... I don’t see anything moving around here.”

“Well then… let’s get moving.” I said as I stood up and collected all of our belongings “It’s going to get dark soon… we need a shelter.”

Haena nodded her head and then pick up her belongings and walked besides me towards the town, towards Seoul. It’s been quite a few months since The End of Days came and changed our lives for the worst. If you asked me what is The End of Days… all I can give to is that was the day when our normal lives came to an end.

The usual routine of me waking up at seven o’clock in the morning and then walking for at least fifteen minutes towards my workplace where I was doing my eight hours of grueling and boring work as programmer and then back home all where I have to prepare the materials for my work for the next day even when it’s a holiday.

All of that is no more… Everything that you took for granted is no more. Everything started exactly six and a half months ago, July 2013. Everyone thought that somehow things will get better as the time passes, but from what I can see here it’s not. As a matter of fact everything got worse… what started as a blackout which caused panic all over the place now has escalated into something somewhat supernatural. A couple of months after the blackout, mutants started appearing inside the town killing every single person that they had come across. And to makes thing worse was the mutant’s bodily fluids carries a virus that will turn anyone that had been injected with it to become one of them.

How do they inject their bodily fluids you asked? It’s pretty simple actually, body contact and no it’s has nothing as erted as some of you might think. All they have to do is to inflict some wounds on to your body and you’re officially infected, the point is... they just need to put their bodily fluids inside of you by any means necessary. But luckily all those mutants was pretty slow… slow enough for us to kill it first before they could actually touch us. But then again fighting a swarm of those mutants is definitely a suicide for sure; even the speedy and flexible Haena wouldn’t be able to escapes if she were to get surrounded.

Oh and about Haena… I met her during one of my escapade to the unknown territory of one of the supermarket in Busan a month earlier. I was running away from a horde of mutants and was about to run out of gas a.k.a my stamina when I found her signaling me to followed her into one of the emergency exits and out of the hell hole.

When I asked her why she would help me back then her answer was simple, she was happy because she actually able to meet someone else that is still human. Haena was actually travels in a group of four together with her friends, but a couple of weeks earlier they got separated due to the ambush of those mutant hordes. She couldn’t actually saw which direction did her friends took off to and she’s worried sick about them thus she was on a journey to find her friends. They’ve agreed before that they’re heading towards the city of Seoul, a city in where safety and supplies supposed to be

The days in which before she met me was dreadful to her. All she saw was wreckages, dead bodies, and those mutants… she never actually got a good sleep since she spent most of her time on the road and being alone did nothing other than making it worse. She has to actually stay awake just to make sure that weren’t any mutants sneaked up on her and attack her. The day in which she met me was accounted to be one of the best days of her life.

I’ve come to agree to travel together with her towards the city of Seoul as I’ve nowhere to go except for searching for any safe place to stay. I was a tourist actually... I’ve long followed K-POP dan Korean culture and then one day I go the time and means to travel to South Korea where K-POP originated. On the day of The End of Days I was actually doing some sightseeing in the City of Busan, and since then have been moving from place to place inside Busan just to survive. And on one of my escapade into one of the supermarket there I’ve came to meet her.

“Oppa… my friends… do you think they’ve reached this city?” Haena stuttered as she clasps her arms as we set foot inside the City of Seoul.

“I don’t know… ” I answered truthfully as I know the chance of surviving alone is slim. I was about to collapse before and if it weren’t for Haena that came to my rescue, I was one hundred percent sure that I will be one of those mutants by now.

“You don’t really know how to speak to a girl don’t you?” Haena answered with a sigh and a sad smile adorned her face.

“I’m sorry…” I replied with a bitter smile… I know how she feels as I feel the same as her. At least she got a chance to find out what happened to her friends while for me… My family was not of this country. I don’t even know how they fare during these days as I’ve come to know that this Incident occurred in other countries as well.

Haena shook her head a little and then says “No… I’m the one who’s sorry Oppa.“ as she hug one of my arms and then rested her head on my shoulder.

I smiled weakly and then told her that we should continue our search for shelters. Those mutants’ gets more aggressive at nightfall, which combined with the darkness around us due to the blackout, will make one fine dead wish combination if you’re traveling during the night. The safest route that we could take was to find a shelter in where we could rest safely for the night before we continue our journey in the morning. After a couple of hours of searching for shelters we found this area… some sort of a complex of guest houses. We entered one that was located pretty deep inside the complex.

“This place should be good enough for tonight.” I gave my opinion to Haena.

“Yeah, it’s not too big and manageable, seems quite comfy here.”

“And it still got food and water here.” I said as I lifted some canned food and mineral water for her to see from the kitchen.

The guest house… its empty, has no sign of any live including those of mutants and there weren’t any traces of blood… as if there’s nothing happened here. This would be a perfect place to actually stay for the night as it has a sturdy reinforced iron gate on the front entrance and the building was actually surrounded by stone walls that is tall and strong enough to hold those mutants.  The layout of this guest house is simple since it’s just having one floor with five bedrooms in the middle section, a kitchen and a bathroom in the back. On the front section there’s a living room with two sofas and a TV on top of a TV Stand.

“Haena-ya…” I started a small talk as I entered a room to check on it.

“Yes, oppa?” She replied from the room across me.

“I always wondered… ”

“Wondered about what, oppa?”

“It seems that I’ve seen you before… before all of this happened.”

Haena chuckled a little and then says “Well, you might have seen me before…”

“Oh? I have? Where was it?”

“Oppa… you’re a K-POP fan, weren’t you?”

“Yes! How do you know that?”

Haena then took a sit on a sofa in the living room as she looked at me, smiled and then said “We’re actually never met before Busan, but if you feel that you’ve seen me before it could only mean one thing.”

“What is it?”

“Have you ever heard a Korean Idol Girl Group Kiss & Cry?”

I thought for a while trying to remember all the Idol Girl Group that I’ve come to know. I knew T-ARA as they’re my very first Idol Girl Group that I idolized… It’s because of T-ara that I even knew what K-POP is. And then there’s SNSD a group of nine young girls which was known throughout Asia and even Europe. Kara which have the renowned Dance, and then there’s Wonder Girls who were known because of Nobody. And about this Kiss & Cry… I think I’ve heard of them.

“Ah!” I exclaimed but soon covered my mouth as I realized that I’ve somehow shouted that which causes Haena to look into the windows checking for any mutants that might come because of my shouting and then mouthed do you want to die now sentence with widened eyes.

“Watch it oppa! I don’t want us to get swarmed!”

“Yeah, sorry about that… But now I remember!” I said excitedly with normal volume “You’re one of the Kiss&Cry personnel… Haena!”

“Yes, I am… you better are treating me right, I’m an idol here.” She replied with her head held high and both of her hand clasped on both sides of her waist.

“But I liked Soyumi better back then.” I said nonchalantly.

“What?” Haena said with a playfully surprised tone.

I grinned towards here before I said “Yeah… Soyumi has this sweet and caring look kind of face, while you have this bad girl kind of vibe.”

“So you’re more into innocent girl than bad girl huh?”

“I was…” I replied with a big grin “But for now… I prefer your kind of girl.”

“You prefer my kind of girl? A bad girl?” Haena asked curiously.

“Yeah! We can’t really survive with being a good girl now… don’t we?”

“That… I agree.”  Haena replied as she laying herself on her back on the couch “Oppa…”

“Huh?” I checked out the TV Stand right across the sofa where Haena was laying. There were a couple of DVDs and magazines in it.

“We never really talk about our lives before… haven’t we oppa?”

That one question definitely put a stop on whatever I’m doing right now… when I thought about it she is right. We never actually knew anything about each other’s past life. All that we did was trying to survive as long as possible… We had to run from those mutants, searching for supplies to support our lives and find a shelter to rest as our stamina has dwindled to almost nothing by the end of day.  We don’t really talk to each other that much… and we’ve been together for over a month.

“Yeah, you’re right.” I said as I sat myself at the same sofa as Haena “We never really got the chance there… we always has something else to do at our hands.”

Haena was thinking to herself for a few moments as seems she tried to recalling everything that we’ve done since we met and then said “You’re right… We’re either being chased, gathering supplies, searching for my friends, and resting every day. We don’t even have time by the end of the day because of being tired that we went straight to sleep.”

“Yeah, you tell me about it…” I said as I sighed.

“So oppa, you do know about our group?”

“Yes I do… but not that well though…” I responded “As you know it yourself your group debut was just a couple of month before The End of Days occurred. You see I was originally a fan of T-ARA… but one day when I visited the international fansite of T-ara, one of the site members give out this video link in the shout box. And guess where the video link led me?”

“Ermmm… Was it our music video?”  Haena answered the obvious question.

“Yes… it was.” I said as I fish out my Smartphone and looking at it “It’s your group’s Music Video for Domino Game.”

“How was it?”

“Huh? How was what?”

“Our song... how do you think was it?”

“It’s quite good actually. It was catchy enough and the Music Video was choreographed pretty well. I watched your Music Video over and over until The End of Days came.”

“Wow… it’s that good?” She asked with an excited and hopeful tone as she raises her upper body from the couch supported by her arms and looked at me.

“To me it was.”

“So… who catches your attention for the first time?”

“The brown haired girl wearing a patterned black and white strapless tops with black leggings and black heels as well lacy black armband and holding a black stick.” I said as I displayed a warm smile to Haena.

Her response was a blushing face and a shy smile while she lowered her head staring at the floor… yes it was Haena that catches my attention back then. From the four beautiful girls in that music video, Haena managed to catch my attention and making me looking for her throughout the music video. Sometimes I wonder… would I be able to meet with Haena if it wasn’t because of the apocalypse here. I know its sound bad but I somehow grateful that this apocalypse happened in the first place. But then again this situation right now endangers her life…

“Oh by the way oppa… I’ve never got a chance to ask your name…”

“Yeah you never did. With everything happened around us, I guess it’s pretty much normal.”

“It’s a kind of wonder you know oppa… just out of the blue I feel safe and comfortable around you that I started to call you oppa.”

“It happened almost like naturally… I too, feel comfortable around you.”

“So oppa… what’s your name?”

“My name is…” I was interrupted by a loud roar that broke the silence of night. I’ve heard this roar before… a couple of weeks after The End of Days happened I heard this kind of roar. And what followed after the roar was an abomination that almost annihilate every single person on my group.  Only a handful of people survived the monster wrath including me… but still because of that monster we got separated from each other.

“What the hell was that?” Haena said as she stood alarmed.

“Damn it!” I cursed under my breath… going out in the night with that thing roaming around is definitely not an option. My previous group was decimated on a broad day light! And then another roar was heard again which caused Haena to circle my arms with hers with a scared expression on her face. This is not good… “A Tank!”