CHAPTER IV

Survivors's Story

How the hell the bloody Tank knew the exact place to crash in? I’m pretty all the doors and windows were shut pretty tight that the lights from the candles can’t be seen from the outside. And we’re not that loud that a Tank could hear us!  Any way this isn’t the time to think about that! We need to get out of here or we’re going down.

“Hurry up! Pick your backpacks and get the hell out of here!” I exclaimed as I pumped my shotgun “I’m going to buy you sometime!”

Both Jiyeon and Myungsoo immediately ran to grab their backpack and then quickly move towards the entrance without questioning anything. The Tank stood on its own two feet… dang! This one is bigger than the one that I faced before. And soon after a loud roar alerted me of an incoming hostility that the Tank going to dish out. The Tank lunged towards me with such tenacity but thanks to my fast reaction I managed to dodge the punch from the Tank by an inch. But the shockwave created by the impact propelled me farther that I crashed into the vending machine.

“Damn that hurts!” I muttered to myself.

“Hyung!” Myungsoo called out of worry.

The Tanks looked over towards the direction where Myungsoo was heard… Myungsoo and Jiyeon stiffen up because of fear of the Tank. I stood up and then directed my aim to the Tank.

“Hey you monster…” I called to the Tank which made it change its view to me “You’re dealing with me!”

The sound of a gunshot that I released awoken both Jiyeon and Myungsoo from their paralyzed state and they waste no time to get the hell out of here. Thank God! I can’t really concentrate well against this thing if I have others to protect, because it means that I have divide my attention for them… which I couldn’t really afford when I’m fighting against this guy.

After a series of gunshots released by me and also some punches and kicks by the Tank this Convenience store held its previous form no longer. Everything was trashed and there were holes everywhere… I think it’s only a matter of time until this building came on crumbling on us now. And to add to the list of my problems this Tank wasn’t even tired after all that… If I can’t escape now it will be my funeral, well I don’t expect anyone will be having a funeral ceremony now, but the bottom point is… I will be dead!

For now I managed to hide from its sight which caused the Tank to search for me... I didn’t trash around like I expect it to be. Instead it was slowly walking around while looking for me with a steady breath.  It’s so quiet in here that I could actually hear the Tank’s breathing pattern… it was much like us normal humans but feels heavier.

I need to get out of here… The entrance door was not that too far away from where I am right now. If I could just somehow draw its attention to somewhere else, even just for a few seconds, I might be able to escape out from here. I couldn’t shoot my shotgun as it definitely the same as me telling it where to look at me. After I looked around I saw these cans of sodas which some of it already spilt around the floors. Maybe I could try to distract it by throwing one of these cans to the opposite side…. Well it’s better than sitting here and waiting to get caught.

I carefully picked a can of soda that lies at my side and took a peek to check the Tank whereabouts… it were walking just a couple meters from me. I need to make sure that I won’t be visible to it when I throw the can… or everything will be going on the drain for sure. I crouch and then move a couple steps on the opposite direction of the Tank and took a peek once in a while to make sure it’s safe. Once I’ve made sure it’s safe I threw the can to the opposite side as strong as I could just to make sure that it will create a hell of noise to distract it.

And as I expected it does create a lot of noise… I think it worked out as I could hear that the Tank reacted to the noise and making its way there. But I think I heard a distinct voice there besides the tin can… something like a man shouted the word OUCH, I know that’s not a word but you get my drift.

And short after I could hear man actually screamed and then followed by the Tank’s roar. I immediately stood up and looked towards the other side and witness something really outrageous. A man running from the Tank and the Tank was chasing after him. I was baffled as I only could open my mouth without any sound at all.

“Help!” The man shouted while he was running from the Tank.

His shout has woken me from my trance condition of trying to digest what happened in front of me. You Idiot! What the hell! I chased after them outside the convenience store and there I saw the man running towards a girl and two people who seemed to be Jiyeon and Myungsoo while screaming for his life which effectively caused all of them to run and screaming for their life as well.

After I saw the direction where they’re running to I could make a prediction on where they’re going as up ahead was the road that I passed on while I was running from the previous Tank. I could jump over some walls and maybe pass through the crushed walls to get to them faster than the Tank. I immediately chased after them with all that I’ve got left as I reloading my shotgun as well.

After few minutes running while hearing screams from the two girls and two boys that are on the run I’ve finally catch up with them. Right now they were still ahead of the Tank, but its gaining on them… or is it that they’re getting slow. But whatever if they’re to suddenly missing from the Tank line of sight that should encourage the Tanks to think that they had ran ahead of him and will keep on running.

I immediately signaled the four of them to enter the hole on the wall that I was behind… and they followed suit. The five of us sit behind the wall while hearing the footsteps of the Tank coming closer. We’re panting heavily as we’ve running with a full speed for quite some time now. And just as I predicted the Tank passes us with a full speed and roaring like there’s no tomorrow… after a few moments everything came to a silent. The only thing that I could hear was the sound of us panting, trying to get as much oxygen as we could.

“What… The… Hell were you doing?” I asked in a stern voice after I’ve managed to catch my breath.

“Wha…” the man tried to asked back but cut out short as he haven’t catch his breath yet.

“I asked you… what the hell were you doing back then you dum dum?”

“Hey! Be polite, he was trying to help you!” The girl retorted in his stead “You should’ve said thank you!”

“Yeah right… in the end who needs saving huh?”

“You’re right… and I thank you for that.” The man said “I was only trying to help by trying to distract that thing.”

After a few moments of silence and watched the girl muttered something under her breath I said “Well… thank you. But I was planning to distract it by throwing some can to your direction.”

“Ah… that does explain the tin can that hit my head.” He said as he rubbed his hand on his head.

“Sorry about that, so… how did you managed to decide that I need help back then?”

“Well… actually when we’re running out from the convenience store we bumped into them.” Jiyeon said

“Yeah, Seohyun sunbae said that they’re around when they heard a loud roar and some gunshots. So they figured that we might need some help.” Myungsoo added to Jiyeon explanation.

“Seohyun sunbae?”  I asked as I pay a good look at the girl that is glaring at me right now.

The girl then sighs before she extended her hand to me as she said “I’am Seo Joo Hyun, but people call me Seohyun.”

“Ah… it’s nice to meet you then.” I said as I took her hand and shook it.

“And I’m Kyuhyun… Cho Kyuhyun.” The man introduced himself.

“Well… enough with introduction for now…” I said as I stood up and dust off my clothes “We can’t stay here much longer… with all the noise those walkers might be heading thing way. Not to mention that bloody Tank.”

“Hey! It’s a common manner to actually introduce yourself back when people introduced themselves!” Seohyun intervened as she abruptly stood up.

“Look… I’m not intending to be impolite but with my luck that I have right now, I don’t want to introduce myself as whenever I introduce myself problems always coming at my way.”

“What kind of reason was that?” Seohyun asked with a tone that rhyme with are you kidding me.

“Oh, now that you mention it… that Tank came when you were trying to introduced yourself.” Jiyeon responded.

“And not only that… I told you right that I got separated from Haena because of a Tank?”

“Yeah, I heard you mentioned that to Jiyeon back at the convenience store…” Myungsoo answered.

“Well… I got separated when I tried to tell her my name, so…”

Seohyun and Kyuhyun could only somehow shocked and looked at each other when I revealed that… and they seems don’t want to risked it by pushing me to introduced myself. I guess they have enough adventure for the whole day now… heck I know I have!

“Who is Haena?” Kyuhyun asked me.

“Long story short I’m helping her to find her friends… they got separated a while back.” I replied and watched Kyuhyun nodded as a sign of understanding.

“So… how are we going to call you then if we haven’t got your name?” Jiyeon asked.

“Just call me anything you like… maybe you or hey or something like that.”

“But, that’s just plain rude!” Seohyun retorted.

“Well, if you’re okay with it you could call me Hyung or Oppa.” I said to them “If you’re the Seohyun and Kyuhyun I know, the two of you are younger than I am… so does Jiyeon and Myungsoo here.”

“How old exactly are you?” Seohyun asked “If you don’t mind telling us that is…”

“I have no problem telling with that… I was born in 1987.”

“Ah! You’re in the same age as Soyeon eonni.” Jiyeon responded.

“Yes… that I am. So it’s not the time to chatter around.” I said as I took a peek making sure that nothing dangerous is out there “I will continue our chatter later once we’ve found Haena and reached a safe place.”

All of them nodded and then followed my lead… I never thought that they will be following my lead so easy like this. I thought they will say something like who are you to lead us… or something like I don’t trust you to lead us. Well I guess I have to put that thing aside from now as I really wanted to find Haena as soon as I can… she could be in danger right now.

After a couple of hours of traveling and avoiding the walkers by staying out of their line of sight and taking a lot of detours we’ve reached the neighborhood where I left Haena yesterday, I never thought that I am  this far from her. I do hope she’ll be okay… how is she right now? Did she meet with any problems? I fastened my pace towards the house where I left her.

But then suddenly when I was about to make a turn someone grabbed me and dragged me back behind a wall and then place their hand on my mouth before I could say anything. It was Myungsoo… he signaled me to look at the direction where I was going before. Damn! Hunters! Two hunters were residing in the vicinity… one by the roof and one by the street roaming around. I nodded my head as a signal that I got the condition right now and by then Myungsoo retracted his hand. I mouthed a thank you at him before signaled that we’re going to have another detour.

“Hey…” Jiyeon called to me “We need to find shelter as soon as possible.”

I looked at the sky… well it seems it’s going to be night fall soon. These people need to find a shelter as soon as possible… but Haena is out there waiting for me… I knew she is.

“You guys try to find some shelter… I’m going to look for Haena.” I said.

“What? Are you crazy?” Kyuhyun said as he grabbed my arm “It’s going to be night fall soon! You know how those things at night!”

“I know… that’s exactly why I need to find Haena as soon as possible.”

“Kyuhyun oppa’s right!” Seohyun added “And there’s no guarantee that you’ll find her if you look now! She might even be dead already.”

I flinched upon Seohyun statements and I could feel that I clenched my fist… I know… as a matter of fact I know that Haena might not be there at the house anymore. Something might be forced her to move around… or worst something might have killed her. But I wanted to know… I wanted to see her… or at least her body if she’s dead already.

I could see Kyuhyun grabbed Seohyun’s arm before she could talk anything else and shook his head. Seohyun seems to understand what her words already did to me as she bit her lower lips and has this guilty expression on her face. Even Jiyeon could only hug on Myungsoo’s arm and they looked at each other not sure what to do in this situation.

“It’s okay…” I intervened before Seohyun could say anything “What you said is right… but I think you know how is it to worry about someone important to you and not knowing his / her condition, right? I need to make sure… so for now just look for a shelter and stay there for the rest of the night. And if you’re willing you could leave some hints on the way so that I could seek you out later.”

“Okay… Be careful out there, Oppa.” Jiyeon said with a hint of worry.

“Don’t worry… I will” I replied with a nod and then started heading out towards the house where I left Haena before. I couldn’t use the same path as the one that I took earlier, the Hunters are there… I need to take some detour now. I looked back and saw them leaving in search of a shelter... Seohyun turned back and then give a nod to me as if she’s saying to be careful in which I nodded back in return. Haena… Hang in there! I’m going back for you… just as I’ve promised you before.