CHAPTER X

Survivors's Story

“Ouch… that’s hurt you know!” The man on the ground said as he directed his sight to the shadow of the trees.

“Sorry about that… but obviously hyung, you’re too slow.” Another man said as he stepped out of the shadow with a girl.

“But that’s definitely not the way to treat people older than you.” Another stepped out from the shadow.

“Kyuhyun and Seohyun?” I asked when I finally able to took a good look at them.

“Myungsoo and Jiyeon too?” Haena added.

“Damien oppa!” Jiyeon exclaimed in joy as she looked at me when she heard our voices.

“How did you guys and girls got here?” I asked in a happy tone as I reached for them and give the boy a tap on their shoulder.

“It’s quite a long story actually...” Another girl’s voice was heard as two girls came out from the shadow.

“Bohye eonni! Dia!” Haena exclaimed in joy as she run and gave them a both a hug.

“Thank god you’re okay Haena… we’re worried.” Bohye responded.

“Where’s Soyumi ?” Dia asked while looking around the premises.

“Over here Dia, Bohye eonni!” A voice which obviously belongs to Soyumi was heard as she came out from the other side and gave the girls a group hug.

“Wait! You do you know how to get here, Soyumi?” I asked a question with an answer that I think I knew “You’re following us Soyumi?”

“Hehehe…” Soyumi nervously laugh while sticking her tongue out “Sorry… but I’m just worried about you two getting into trouble like being lost or something.”

“Oh just tell them the truth Soyumi…” Dean’s voice, which I’m 100% sure was, heard as he walked to Soyumi’s side.

“Ya! Dean oppa!” Soyumi sternly said as she pinched Dean’s arm which caused Dean to yell in pain.

“But it’s the truth!” Dean responded as he rubbed his hurting arm “You’re the one you said that we’re going to follow them around, you said it would be fun to watch them having a date.”

“Dean… you should take the first pinch to your arm as a signal there.” I said while I eyed Soyumi getting ready to kill Dean.

“Oh… I’ll just be quiet then.” Dean said as he showed an apologetic smile to Soyumi and then shut his mouth tight which cause everyone around them to be laughing and smiling.

“So you do you guys and girls managed to get here?” I asked them.

“Well for our group…” Myungsoo answered “After that huge mutant decided to chase after you, Hyung, we’re looking for a shelter to stay on for the night and planning to go looking for you the next day.”

“But we got surrounded by walkers…” Jiyeon added.

“A lot of walkers!” Bohye added another one.

“Yeah, Bohye eonni is right… a lot of them.” Jiyeon continues “Then we decided to try to breakthrough them… but everything went sideways. The walkers were obviously way too much for us three to handle and it almost cost us our life. That’s when suddenly a group of armed soldiers came and helped us escaped and brought us here.”

“How about you Kyuhyun oppa?” Haena asked.

“Well… our story is pretty much the same except for the part where they got walkers, we got nothing.” Kyuhyun replied.

“Just as we’re searching for a shelter we ran into a group of people who were claiming to be looking for survivor.” Seohyun continued “At first we’re having a hard time believing them… but then their leader, which was a woman, said that we could keep our weapons and follow them here. She said if they do anything harmful to any of us, we’re more than welcome to shoot them.”

“Is that so?” I responded to them “Dean… is it right for me to assume that this PG here is in a form of a dome?”

“Yes it is… you’re as perceptive as usual Damien.” Dean replied.

“Well it’s the only logical explanation as our group split in a totally different ways but then again here you guys and girls are.” I explained.

“You’ll be more surprised if you know the team leader that Seohyun’s talking about.” Dean added.

“Huh? Why would I be surprised?” I asked when it suddenly hit me “No way… She’s here as well?”

“Yeap… you know her. Where ever you are that’s where she will be.”

“She? Who’re you talking about oppa?” Haena asked in somewhat annoyed tone as her hand circled my arm.

“Elisa Wright.” Dean answered Haena question for me “A friend of us from our University days back then… she has been having crush with your Damien oppa here.”

“Wha… what?” Haena flustered as she let go her hand and then looked at the ground with a slight blush “What do you mean by my Damien oppa?”

“So she’s here… well she’s a tough fighter though, despite of her being a girl.” I said.

“A good soldier?” Haena asked.

“Well… remember about the war skirmish that we’re talking about earlier?” Dean asked which earned a nod from Haena as her answer “Well… she’s in it as well. You could say on skirmish war game the only one who could bested her is our Damien here, no one else can.”

“Bested her in what?” Seohyun asked

“Fist fight, Gun fight you name it… she’s on the top before Damien here joined our Skirmish Team. But since Damien, she’s the second best.”

“Well… she is trained well by her father.” I explained.

“Her father?” Dia interjected “Is her father a soldier or something?”

“Well as a matter of fact yes.” I replied “Her father was a General in the military back at our country. And he always keen on teaching his children how to defend themselves against aggressors.”

“How about you hyung?” Myungsoo curiously asked “If she was trained by an expert it doesn’t make sense that you could best her unless you’re trained under an expert as well.”

“Well… Damien never did train under an expert.” Dean answered for me “It’s just that Damien here has this hate to lose attitude.”

“Hate to lose attitude?” Haena asked.

“Yeah… what Elisa doesn’t know is that she once beat our Damien here in a skirmish game.”

“What? But didn’t you say that Damien hyung here always bested her in the game?” Kyuhyun interjected.

“That’s after he joined our team…” Dean continued “The story that I told you was when Damien in another team… an opposing team in a War Skirmish Game Tournament.”

“You’re the only one who noticed that Dean.” I said by interrupting him for a moment.

“Yeah… I guess that what’s makes me a good strategist. I observe and then act on it.” Dean said proudly and I agreed with him “Damien here was bested by her… since that he’s been training pretty hard, military style and then immediately joined our team to challenge her in to a skirmish game in which Damien bested her and got accepted into our team.”

“You’re having a skirmish game to assess whether the person is good enough or not before accepting anyone?” Seohyun asked curiously “Isn’t war skirmish game just a hobby that everyone could join?”

“Well… it should be just like what you said.” I answered it this time “But Elisa and Dean’s team here were aiming to win a world championship so that they were recruiting everyone who has the skill to do it.”

“Okay… then what’s with the crush on Damien oppa?” Haena asked in annoyed tone, I could tell for sure.

“Well, you got to admit that Damien here is one handsome boy.” Dean started explaining “And he’s also equipped with good capability to protect someone and he’s also having quite a brain… which makes me think that the world is not fair at all.”

“The world never is fair… I’m pretty sure we all know that by now.” Kyuhyun said to all of us “Not that I hate you Damien hyung.”

“None’s taken, but I kind of agree. The world is anything but fair.” I agreed to what Kyuhyun said “But nevertheless we should never ever fall out of hope…”

“Yes, Kyuhyun oppa…” Seohyun agreed “What Damien oppa said is right… we should keep on hoping that one day things will get better… That way we could keep on living in the present.”

“Seohyun always is the optimist one in the group… aren’t you?” I asked with a smile.

“Yes, I’m pretty much the optimistic one.” Seohyun proudly said as she put both hands on her waist.

And with that everyone smiled and chuckled together… it’s been quite a while since we actually had peace of mind instead being chased around by those mutants. But here this might be different… no, I knew it will be different. We got food and water, there’s soldiers which will be protecting us even if the mutants tried to break through the defenses… as long as that new mutant didn’t come barging in though.

“And that’s all about Elisa. By the way Damien…” Dean asked “According to Haena-ssi you were chased by some kind of a new mutant… was that right?”

“Yeah… That thing was fast for something with its size was and powerful and formidable as well.” I replied “Tanks would be pale in its comparison.”

Everyone including Dean could say anything as everyone knew that what I’m saying was right. They witnessed first hand of what that thing could do. It crushed Tanks and Hunters easily without even breaking a sweat… and Dean knew how bad it is to encounter one just by absorbing what I’ve just said.

“Let’s just hope that thing won’t be coming here anytime soon.” Dean hoped.

“Yeah… I hope so...” I responded “I think I’m going to call it Tyrant.”

“Tyrant?” Dean asked in confusion.

“I know why!” Myungsoo exclaimed “I’ve just realized it… that thing actually looked like one of those things called Tyrant on the Resident Evil Game series!”

“Ah! I know those monstrous things.” Dean acknowledged it “Was it actually similar to those things from the games?”

“Yeah, not only similar… as a matter of fact I find it to be exactly the same, appearance wise.”

“If those Tyrants come here… we’re pretty much screwed.” Dean continued “We don’t have enough firepower to overcome a Tyrant with us now.”

“Yeah… we better pray hard… But from the look of it, we could actually use those Tyrants to our advantage.” Kyuhyun said.

“You’re right Kyuhyun hyung! The Tyrant that chased after us did actually crush those Tanks and Hunters… in that aspect we could actually say that the Tyrant is our friend.”

“But oppa… once the Tanks and the other mutants are gone… it will be coming after us next.” Jiyeon responded.

“Yeah… but at least it will be just the Tyrant instead a horde of mutants.” Seohyun added.

“Well whatever it is, it’s been quite a day for all of us I presume.” Dean suddenly interjected as he came to the middle of us “It will be wise to go to sleep for now... just rest okay.”

“Yeah… I noticed Jiyeon has been yawning for a couple of time already.” I said.

“Tehee, I’m sorry about that.” Jiyeon said “But I really feel tired right now.”

“Well… you’re right it is past midnight.” I said “I guess it’s time to head back to our assigned room and rest then.”

“Which block are you guys in?” Dean asked Myungsoo and the others “Kyuhyun would on the B block since Seohyun mention about Elisa…”

“We’re in the D Block.” Myungsoo replied.

“Well, Damien, Haena, and Soyumi here is the A Block” Dean explained “I presumed you guys and girls still know the way to your own respective block?”

Almost everyone nodded in response to Dean’s question… except for me. I shook my head and in response Dean could only face palmed himself… but Soyumi and Haena came to his rescue by saying that they still remember and will make sure that I will be in our assigned room safe and sound. Seriously please… I’m no kid that still needs someone watching over me. But I do need some direction… I’m not that good with direction unless I’ve been used to it.

“Okay then… Let’s meet here again tomorrow okay?” Bohye suggested.

“Yeah, it’s been a long time since we have heart to heart conversation with each other without the fear of being chased by those mutants.” Dia added.

“I agreed… Let us gather here tomorrow at 10 AM in the morning.” Jiyeon said as she circles her hands around Myungsoo’s arm “And by then we’ll decide what we’re going to do tomorrow.”

After we said our goodbyes we finally split up and heading towards our own respective room. After around 10 minutes of walking, we’ve finally reached our room, the same room that I woken up in. On the way we’re practically having some nice conversation, which mainly dominated by Haena telling me about anything that ever happened to their group. How they’re a good sisters to each other and about how Soyumi always be the one who connect them all using her maknae power. We shared some laugh together… I hope this situation will last forever. Both Soyumi and Haena even made an event to do with all the others for tomorrow

But I knew the truth out there… as long as those mutants still roams the earth there will be no peace. One of this day one of those mutants may break through this PG’s defenses and by then everything will be in chaos again. But I guess we should enjoy what we have right now. We’ll be dealing with those issues when it really happens.

“Oppa! What are you doing outside?” Haena asked as she looked at me behind the door to our room “Come in! You’re going to need all the energy you could get for tomorrow!”

“And don’t squander it with Haena eonni tonight!” Soyumi said with a smirk.

“Ya! Soyumi! What the heck are you talking about?” Haena raised her voice to Soyumi with red cheeks.

“And make sure you tone the volume down because I’ll be here in the same room with you!” Soyumi added “Don’t worry I’ll cover myself up with the blankets.”

“Yah! Soyumi you!” Haena kind of yelled as she chased Soyumi to give her a good headlock being being avoided as Soyumi stuck her tongue out.

“Don’t worry.” I said with a smirk as well “We won’t be too loud.”

“Oppa! Not you too!” Haena said as she ran towards her bed and buried her face under her pillow after she gave a pout to me… she’s blushing hard.

Both Soyumi and I laughed out due to Haena’s reaction… this is nice. I like these situations where we could chat around without the fear of being eaten by those monsters out there. How long has it been since the last I laughed like this? How long has it been since the last time I could see Haena happy without a single worry? I guess we’re safe for now… And I hope this time this safe haven would last way longer than the previous ones we had. And with that I laid myself on my own bed and bid good night to the girls before I fell asleep.