A Way Out

To Break Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I sat on the curb, slowly taking in my surroundings, while ignoring the strange looks I was receiving. Lights glimmered around me in a way that would take someone's breath away had they not been me. These lights had been my solace for a few months now and they were starting to lose their novelty. No longer could I be taken to another world by these neon signs and the bustling of weary shoppers. Myeongdong was no longer my place for escape.

As I sat there, ignoring the looks still, my phone began to buzz in my pocket. There was only one possible person it could be at this hour, and I wasn't exactly excited to speak to them. Despite that, it was still obligatory and I reached in my pocket to retrieve my phone.

"Father," I answered curtly, uninterested.

"Work is going late," he started.

"Does it ever go anywhere else?" I muttered.

"You watch your tongue," he snapped. "I won't be home tonight, so you don't have to have any dinner for me."

I bit back all the snide remarks I wanted to make and said simply, "alright. I'll see you some time, then."

"Yuna?" My father spoke quickly before I could hang up.

"Yeah?" I perked up, half hoping that some fatherly words would then ensue.

"Stop speaking English." He ordered rather sharply before hanging up and leaving me with a dial tone in my ear.

"Love you too," I sighed, feeling foolish.

Finally gaining the motivation, I stood from my perch on the curb. At least now I could return home without worrying about a lecture from my father about the number of bags I was toting.

I looked down to take a mental inventory of what I had bought that day. Amongst many miscellaneous things, there were about four tops, two dresses, five pairs of pants, and four skirts. This was my sixth consecutive day shopping and I was trying to ignore the fact that there was still a slew of bags full of merchandise that I never really had a need for in my room. 

Shopping here was my solace, my only thing to do. I didn't know anyone here or have anything to do. My father had suddenly uprooted my life in London to move me here where I had been born. There was nothing for me here, and though I was used to moving around, I was just getting settled in my life when we left.

Finally, things had been going my way. I had been accepted into a posh fashion school on a complete scholarship, gotten a job as a model for United Colors of Benaton, and was on my way to being independent from my father. He had dictated my life from the moment I was born and I had had enough. I could have finally gotten away, but he wouldn't have any of that. I had to be his little pet, his little daughter that he seemed keen on neglecting when it came to actual parenting. 

I shook my head, attempting to brush away the bad thoughts and memories, as I walked briskly towards the apartment I shared with my father. As I walked, I heard a shout that caught my attention.

"You there!" Someone cried, sounding urgent.

I kept walking, figuring it was either someone trying to sell something or someone I didn't know.

"You with the pink hair!" 

At that, I whipped around. There weren't many people with pink hair wandering around Korea and there sure weren't any at this time. As I turned, I came face to face with a short man in a suit.

He looked well trimmed and clean as well as eager to tell me whatever he wanted to tell me. I was confused by his sudden outburst and by the excitement in his eyes.

"Yes?" I raised an eyebrow, drawing the word out in uncertainty.

"How would you like to audition for TS Entertainment?" He shot at me, leaving me completely flabbergasted. 

"Would I like to do what now?" I asked as my eyebrows knit together faster than a grandmother could knit an ugly sweater for her grandson.

"Would you like to audition for TS Entertainment?" He asked again, clearly amused.

"Hold on," I turned my head slightly, smiling as if I was being tricked, "you're asking me if I want to be an idol?"

"I saw the way you hold yourself; you have the confidence and the poise." He nodded and held out a business card for me to take.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter