Warmth

*Vox Amoris (Voice of Love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The following morning, Haeri does her daily routine. The night before, she already folded the sweater neatly and placed it inside her back pack. She locks the front door and the gate of their house, heading to the bus station directly. Upon reaching there, she greets D.O., who is currently studying his notes for their History unit exam.

 

“Hi,” says he, closing his notebook and placing it in his black sling bag. “You look better than yesterday.”

 

“I don’t know if I should take that as a compliment or not.” Haeri says chuckling, sitting next to him. “Well, I suppose I passed that critical first day. I really appreciate what you did yesterday. It must be embarrassing asking it from the infirmary.”

 

“It’s nothing,” D.O. mutters. “Did you study for History exam?”

 

“...Barely. I slept halfway and I woke up at around 3 am, only to find out that I was still there on my study table.” Haeri covers , yawning. “Oh, before I forget. Here’s your sweater. It helped me a lot. Thanks.”

 

“You’re welcome.” D.O. takes the sweater, placing it inside his sling. He then turned slightly to look at her. “Haeri, you should take care of yourself more. It’s only the second week of school.”

 

Smiling, she looks at him, “... I will. You know what, it’s hard getting used to new faces and new environment—that’s why I’m glad you’re around.”

 

“It was the same for me when I first got here in Seoul. I was grade school then, and unlike you, I was not that sociable.”

 

Haeri pins her sight on the road. “You said you’re not sociable, but you have a way of making other people want to talk to you...make them like you.” Noticing that D.O. has his eyes fixed on her from her peripheral vision, she shifts on her seat to face him. “Kyungsoo, you’re very likeable.” And with a smile on her face, the latter blushes.

 

He is about to say something, when he is cut off.

 

“The bus is here. Let’s get on,” Haeri breaks his trance of thoughts.

 

“Sure,” he says, nodding curtly.

 

D.O. follows her to the vacant seats towards the back, just like yesterday. He chooses to sit beside her, earning another smile from her. Trying to will away the frantic beating of his heart, he takes his notebook from his bag and skim through the pages.

 

“Your eyes will hurt, if you read while the bus is running,” Haeri whispers, glancing at him. “We can sort of discuss our lessons while we’re here. You might not believe me, but I like History next to Chemistry and English.”

 

Grinning, D.O. closes back his notes and gazes at her. “You’re really good with everything.”

“No, I’m not,” she humbly says, “I learn a lot from the teachers and our classmates.”

 

As the ride went on, the two had their Q&A regarding their past discussions, not only in History but also in English and Physics. When they arrive at the campus’ entrance, Baekhyun greets them.

 

“Good morning.”

 

“Good morning...Where are Chen and Chanyeol?” D.O. asks.

 

“They’re already inside. I saw the both of you, so I stayed.” Baekhyun says, walking towards Haeri’s left. “It’s strange seeing you coming with him.”

 

“We’re neighbors. I just learned it yesterday,” Haeri says, smiling at Baekhyun’s pouty face.

 

“Kyungsoo-yah, can I sleep in your house?”

 

“Why suddenly?”

 

“I would like to see Haeri. Perhaps, I could go strolling in the neighbourhood,” Baekhyun says with a puppy-like smile, his eyes turning into crescents.

 

“Baekhyun-ah, I’ll be having trouble putting up with your mess. I’m quite sure you’ll bring Jongdae and Chanyeol with you.”

 

“Of course, we’re a package. We’re the beagle line,” Baekhyun grins.

 

While traversing the lobby, Haeri excuses herself from the boys and runs to Eunkyung after recognizing her.

 

“Eunkyung-ah,” she calls, slightly gasping for air.

 

“Hey, you came with them?” the former asks, eyeing the boys behind them.

 

“I actually came with D.O. He’s my neighbour.”

 

“Really?” Eunkyung blurts, a bit too loudly, making the boys eye her. She slightly bows, wrapping an arm around Haeri’s shoulder. “Wow, what a coincidence? That’s good to hear. At least, there’s a guy accompanying you.”

 

“Well, I guess you’re right.”

 

“By the way, we will have our MT in Jeju after the prelims. Our adviser told Minhyuk, our homeroom president.”

 

“That’s great, but I think I won’t join,” Haeri utters, her voice saddening.

 

They already arrive inside the classroom, when Eunkyung manages to ask her. “Why? Is it about your family?”

 

 Haeri nods, sitting on her chair. “It’s quite tough but I’m fine.”

 

“If you say so,” Eunkyung says, worrying her lip.

 

 

Minutes later, their classes for the morning started. They had their unit exam for their History and a chapter quiz for their Physics. In the afternoon, Professor Kang, their English teacher, assigned them to make a book/novel summary and review/reaction paper for any local or international works to be submitted a week before their prelims. The students from 2-A went to their lockers to prepare for their P.E.

 

“Kyungsoo-yah, I now have a valid reason to stay at your house this weekend,” Baekhyun says, smiling sheepishly. “You’re quite good with English.”

 

“Don’t try to flatter me Baekhyun,” D.O scowls, facing the latter.

 

“Wae?” Baekhyun blurts, whining cutely.

 

“Maybe we can also get a drink to release our stress,” Chen suggests, Cheshire grin showing on his face.

 

“I’m in,” Chanyeol seconded, grinning.

 

“Whoa, are you really coming for the homework or for the drinks?” D.O blurts out, his eyes widening than usual.

 

“Both,” the three chorused.

 

“You’re guys are insufferable,” shaking his head, D.O mutters.

 

Hearing their conversation, Eunkyung lightly nudges Haeri’s side. “That’s a good idea.”

 

“What is?”

 

“Can I stay tomorrow night ‘til Saturday at your house? You know, we can have girl talk and even do our requirements.”

 

“I think that would be plausible. We don’t have club meetings this week,” Haeri agrees, smiling.

 

“Great. Then I’ll tell my parents later. I’m excited~”

 

“Same here.”

 

 

After changing into their P.E. uniforms, they proceed to their classroom adjacent to the gymnasium. They resumed their lecture with Mr. Park for the whole period and agreed for their activity for the next week.

 

“Is there anything?” Haeri asks, referring to her behind.

 

“There’s none,” Eunkyung smiles, slightly pulling her back to the lockers to get their things and to change.

 

 

 

“I’ll go ahead. Bye,” Eunkyung waves her hand over her head.

 

“Bye,” Haeri waves her hand back.

 

“Are you going home?”  D.O’s voice came from behind.

 

Haeri stops walking and turns to face him, “I-I’m still dropping by somewhere,” says she, pursing her lips. “Sorry.”

 

“It’s alright. Take care then,” he mutters.

 

“You, too,” she replies, smiling after. “Bye.”

 

“...Bye.”

 

*     *     *

“Umma,” Haeri called, walking towards her mother in the lobby. “I bought you some food. Let’s eat in the cafeteria.”

 

“You don’t have to do this,” Mrs. Song says, smiling at her daughter. “How’s school?”

 

“It’s still the usual. We got some requirements and the teachers are great.”

 

Haeri leads her mother towards a table at the corner upon reaching the cafeteria. “Umma, Eunkyung, my friend—she’s staying tomorrow night until Saturday. We will just do our requirement and you know, talk about stuffs. Are you okay with it?”

 

“As long as you don’t have club meetings, then I don’t think there’s a problem,” Mrs. Song held her daughter’s hand. “You should have fun, Eri. I know you’re doing well in school, but you should take a break. You’re still young.”

 

“I know,” Haeri utters softly. “Do you have any news from oppa and unni?”

 

Her mother nods, “Your brother was promoted and your sister is doing well in Jeju. Jaehee told me that he saw Jonghunnie today, since their band was the one performing for their company event.”

 

“Really? That kid didn’t tell me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter