Breaking the Ice

*Vox Amoris (Voice of Love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The subdivision is still quiet as Haeri arose from her slumber. She stays seated, resting her back against the bed’s headboard. She takes a glance on her pillow, encased in light pink—with marks of tears starting to dry up.

 

She starts tidying up her bed, folding the bed sheet nicely. She moves towards the study table, looking outside the window, shoving the pastel coloured-curtain. It is still dark outside, not a soul walking in the street. As she looks at the desktop clock, she sighs as it reads, 4:40 am...she barely had five hours of sleep. She decided to go downstairs and watch just anything on the television. Most of the programs on air are early morning news, if not, just random foreign home shopping on other channels.

 

Haeri swipes the screen of her phone, aimlessly looking up into her contacts. When a familiar number comes into sight, her thumb hesitated over the call button.

“He must be sleeping,” she mutters, but it was too late before she realizes that the call is already connected.

 

“Hm...Eri? Is there a problem?” a sleepy and gentle voice asks.

“I’m sorry, oppa...I just wanted to hear your voice.” Sighing, Haeri clenched her eyes closed, while lying on the couch. “I should hang up now.”

“No, it’s alright. My class this morning was cancelled since our instructor had an emergency.” Jonghun says, continuing, “You can always tell me, if there’s any problem. I’ll listen.”

“Appa...he’s sick. I can’t stand seeing him suffer.” Haeri’s voice trembles.

 

Jonghun sighs, “I’m sorry, I’m not there for you.”

 

“It’s okay. I’ll get by,” she whispers, trying to lighten up the mood. “Maybe I should really hang up now. You can go back to sleep.”

 

“Don’t...don’t end the call just yet. I love to hear your voice, you know that, silly girl.” Jonghun chuckles, gazing at the picture frame on his bedside table, illuminated by a lamp shade. It was the same picture on Haeri’s study table.

 

“You should rest, I’m sure you’re tired. I saw from your SNS that you’re practicing with your bandmates.”

 

“Oh, that. I’m flattered, you’re checking on me.” The former utters, proudly.

 

“Flatter yourself, Choi Jonghun,” Chuckling, Haeri stares at her necklace, as she held it out with her left hand. “It must be great fulfilling your dreams there. I think I still don’t know what my dream is.”

 

“Don’t worry; you’ll realize it sooner than you think. By the way, Eri, did you find that guy?”

 

“I don’t really know if I already met him or not...but why do you ask?”

 

Jonghun’s breathing hitches. “That thing which you need to find...it’s that guy, right? I just remembered when you shared that story with me, during Middle School.”

 

There was silence between the two. It takes a couple more of seconds before Haeri answers. “Yes. Mianhae...”

 

“I knew it.” Sighing, Jonghun lets his eyes wander on the ceiling of his shared room, with his bandmate, Hongki, as he turned to lie on his back. “But Song Haeri, I’ll not give up until you meet that guy. You should probably hang up now. Long distance charges are quite expensive.”

 

“Yeah...take care, oppa. Annyeong.”

 

“Ne, annyeong,” the last word sounds like it’s dragged, as Jonghun waited for Haeri to end the call. “I really miss you, Eri,” he mutters as he closed his eyes.

 

Holding the necklace close to her chest, Haeri tries to steal a nap, placing her right arm over her eyes. After five minutes, she washes the rice and puts the container inside the cooker. She takes a bath while waiting for the rice to be cooked. After taking a bath, she dries her hair with a towel and changed into her school uniform.

 

She then went to the kitchen—wearing her apron, turning off the rice cooker, heating the pan with oil, preparing to fry some bacon. After serving the meal, she sits and eats her breakfast. After cleaning up the dishes and brushing her teeth, Haeri texted her mother.  “Good morning, umma. Don’t skip meals. Take care of yourself.”

Taking a glance at her wristwatch whilst walking, she realizes that it’s still ten minutes till 6 am. She strides casually towards the bus station, when someone catches her attention. Sitting in one of the seats in the waiting shed, with headphones in both of his ears— Kyungsoo’s face is calm, eyes fixed on the passing cars.

 

Slowly, Haeri accosts him, sitting three chairs away to his left. She drums her fingers on her lap, not knowing what else to do. Just a few seconds later, D.O. is already sitting next to her, making the latter face him.

 

“Hi,” she greeted, quite startled. “I didn’t know you’re living around here.”

 

 “I’m residing in the adjacent subdivision.” With a subtle smile on his lips, D.O. has his gaze fixed at her. “...why did you sit a bit far from me? Are you afraid of me or something?”

 

Hearing his words, Haeri’s eyes widened. “N-No, of course not... I thought you might find it awkward with me.”

 

“It was awkward at first, since my friends always tease me—which they always do, especially Baekhyun.”

 

“Oh, Baekhyun,” she chuckles. “He’s a funny guy.”

 

“He is. He’s the type that lightens up the mood, making the people around him comfortable.”

 

“That’s true,” Haeri nods, facing him. “If I may ask, how long have you been living here, D.O-sshi?”

 

 “Kyungsoo...just call me, Kyungsoo,” he smiles, adding after, “I’ve been here since grade school.”

 

“Ah, I see.” Seeing him smile, Haeri blushes, her cheeks in pretty shade of pink.

 

“Do you always get up this early?”

 

“Not really, but since I transferred here in Seoul, my circadian rhythm has changed—not that I’m not aware of.”

 

“You’re having a hard time, aren’t you?” Kyungsoo thought, worry plastered all over his face.  “Maybe you need to let it all out.”

 

Shifting her gaze from the road to his, Haeri felt her heart throbbing.  “W-What do you mean?” she utters, almost whispering.

 

“Just a thought,” he replies, giving a friendly smile. “The bus is here.”

 

She nods curtly, snapping out of her thoughts at that moment. They get inside the bus, with Haeri walking towards the vacant seats at the back. Kyungsoo just followed after, sitting beside her. The latter closed her eyes, resting against the headboard. To her surprise, Kyungsoo gently slips the other dongle of his earphone on her right ear. Haeri has her gaze on him, wondering.

 

“Just relax,” his voice came out sweet and soothing, making the other blush. She just leaned against the seat comfortably, closing her eyes, while D.O. did the same. Haeri can feel her heart beating in a steady pace, as a familiar song, started to play.

I longed for the warmth of days gone by

            When you were mine, but now those days are memories in time.

            Life’s empty without you by my side,

            My heart belongs to you no matter what I try...

 

 

*     *     *

Upon arriving, the two walk along the lane, heading towards the entrance. Haeri has her eyes straight ahead, while D.O is occasionally glancing at her.

 

“Thank you, Kyungsoo,” she speaks, not looking at him. “It was one of my favourite songs in Middle School. I think I felt better after listening to it.”

 

“You’re welcome,” says he, shifting his vision on the gate ahead of them.

 

As they entered the campus, not many students are around. They casually stride along the lobby, passing by some empty rooms along the way. The sun has just risen, with its rays passing through the glass windows.

 

With her smiling beside him, D.O couldn’t keep his eyes away from Haeri’s face. When they reached their classroom, few of their classmates are there, with two girls doing their room duties. Recalling the meeting last Monday, Haeri ran and greeted the girls.

 

“I’m assigned this day, too. I almost forgot that it’s Wednesday,” she scratches her head, bowing slightly afterwards.

 

“It’s okay, we just dusted off the shelf and swept. You can just clean the whiteboard and refill the markers with ink,” one of the two girls, says.

 

“Alright,” Haeri says, doing her task right away.

 

“Hey, I didn’t know you’re close with Song-sshi,” a male classmate who’s sitting in front of him, turns his chair to face D.O.

 

“Why are you asking me?” his eyebrows furrow.

 

Grinning, the former answers, “Song Haeri is quite famous, you know? My friend and sunbae who’s in the Quizzer’s Club, told me that he’s fallen for her. He wants me to get her number.”

 

“So basically, you’re asking me for her number?” D.O. scowls, while the o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter