Admiration and Agony

*Vox Amoris (Voice of Love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two days passed by and it was already Saturday, Club Day. To attend the orientation, Haeri went to the campus at around 9 am. She went to the Scholar Society’s office near the Student Council’s office. Jin and Won approached her and let her enter the room filled with the club’s old and new members.

 

“Everyone, this is Song Haeri-sshi from Suwon campus,” Jin introduced to the people around. “Let’s give her a hand.”

“Welcome Miss Song!” the members applauded her, with some of the males cheering for her.

“You’re quite famous among men Miss Haeri. Please introduce yourself,” Won gestured her to come in front.

“Ne, Annyeonghaseyo. I’m Song Haeri, a second year high school transferee student.”

“Miss Haeri, do you have a boyfriend?” a guy from the back seat asked playfully.

 

Quite flustered, Haeri made a shy smile. Fortunately, the person beside the guy came to her rescue.

“That’s a personal question, buddy,” an average built guy, with slightly toned round face, blurted.

The guy from before, gave an awkward laugh, “I was kidding, Minseok-ah. Just chill man.”

“I know, but she’s just new here; do you want to intimidate her?” Xiumin said softly, so that only his seat mate could hear.

 

Haeri who was still grasping at the situation, looked at Xiumin, who was also looking back at her, smiling.

“Hwanyoung, Song Haeri-sshi,” Xiumin greeted, giving a cute salutation gesture.

“Ne, panggap sseumnida (It is nice meeting you).”

 

Jin and Won who finally get hold of the affair, proceeded with the orientation. They also discussed relevant matters concerning campus activities participated and managed by their club. The meet-and-greet session followed after the orientation.

 

“I’m sorry about earlier,” Xiumin said, gently. “That colleague of mine loves to joke around as you noticed.”

Haeri slightly shook her head, and smiled, “It’s nothing. Anyways, thank you sunbaenim.”

“You’re welcome. By the way, you’re D.O.’s classmate, right?”

“Yes.”

“Can I ask for a favor?”

“Sure. What is it sunbae?”

“Can you give this to him? I have somewhere else to go right now.” Xiumin held out his hand, holding white earphones. “He left it when we had our lunch yesterday.”

“Okay, I’ll give this to him in the Music Studio. Anything else sunbae?”

“That’s it. Thanks Haeri-sshi.”

“You’re welcome sunbaenim. I’ll head out first.”

“Okay.”

 

It was still 9:45 am when Haeri reached the Music Studio. Since she came forty-five minutes earlier, she decided to wait outside the room. Not later, she received a call from Eunkyung.

            “Yeoboseyo? Where are you?”

            “I’m still on my way. My mom gave me some errand to do, so I’ll be quite late.”

            “Arasseo. It’s still early anyways. Just do your errand properly,” said Haeri. “Hang up, or else you’ll be arriving quite later.”

            “He-he, annyeong Haeri.”

“Ne.”

 

A few minutes after, Baekhyun arrived. Upon seeing her, he approached her with a smile on his face.

“Annyeong,” said he, brightly. “Welcome to the team~”

“Hi... thanks, Baekhyun-sshi.”

“Let’s get inside first.”

 Baekhyun suddenly grabbed her wrist slightly, leading her inside the room. Although surprised by his action, Haeri just followed him.

When they entered, Baekhyun realized what he did and a shy smile carved into his lips.

“Did I surprise you?” he uttered, scratching the back of his head.

Haeri smiled, seeing him shying away, “...A little.”

“Ah, geurae?” Baekhyun laughed awkwardly, biting his lower lip. He immediately unstacked two chairs and placed them near her. “You can sit.”

“Thanks. You’re quite a gentleman,” she complimented, while taking her seat.

Baekhyun’s face slightly reddened at her remarks. “Thanks,” he uttered, slightly looking at her, as he was seated. “Whoa, why is it so hot, suddenly? Should I turn on the air conditioner?”

Haeri just nodded and smiled. As Baekhyun went back to his seat beside her, he got his phone and connected his earphones.

“There’s a song that I would like you to listen to. It’s sung by D.O. and I. Jamsimanyo (Just wait a little bit),” said the latter as he was scrolling through his playlist. “Oh, it’s here.”

 

When Baekhyun faced Haeri who was on his right, he gestured to put the earphone in her ear, to which she just nodded. After wearing the other one, he played the song.

 

The moment the song started playing; Haeri was drawn to it, tapping her fingers on her lap.

“Oh, this is D.O.?” she mouthed to Baekhyun, as she listened to the opening line. “He has a deep voice.”

            Girl, I can't explain what I feel.

As she was listening, Baekhyun enjoyed watching her smile.

 

“She’s so cute...what do I do?”  He screamed inside his head, still staring at her.

 

When the succeeding chorus arrived, Haeri was already singing along.

 

I lost my mind neoreul cheoeum mannasseulttae (I lost my mind, the moment I saw you.)
Neo hanappaego modeungeoseun get in slow motion (Except you, everything get in slow motion)
Naege malhaejwo ige sarangiramyeon (Tell me, if this is love)

 

“Whoa~ you’re good,” Baekhyun complimented, raising his two thumbs up.

 

As the song ended, both of them were smiling.

“How was it?” He asked, curious about her response.

“It’s beautiful,” she praised, continuing. “...your voice is attractive and so is D.O.’s.  Any girl would fall instantly, when they hear you sing.”

“Jinjja?”

Haeri chuckled at his reaction. “Yeah, I mean it.”

 “By the way, which part is your favourite?”

“I like the whole chorus...also, the last part where you sing, ‘Tell me, what is love?’  and D.O.’s ‘I don’t know why’ –It gives me goose bumps especially when you hit those high notes.”

After hearing her response, Baekhyun couldn’t hide his happiness. He slightly scratched the back of his head, embarrassed of himself. Next to the door, D.O. who arrived a few minutes ago overheard their conversation.

 

 “Why do I feel uncomfortable?”

 

After heaving a deep sigh, he decided to walk into the room.

“Oh, D.O. you came.”

“Yeah...Where are the others?” He got a chair and seated next to Haeri.

“I guess they’ll be here at 10:30 as mentioned in our last meeting.”

 

Remembering Xiumin’s request, Haeri got the earphones from her bag and gave it to D.O.

“Xiumin-sunbae asked me to give it to you.”

“Ah, thank you.”

“Haeri-sshi, what song did you sing when you auditioned here?” Baekhyun asked.

“It was I Love You by Kim Taeyeon,” she replied, softly.

 

Upon hearing her answer, D.O. felt his heart, skip a beat. He was just watching the two talking comfortably to each other.

“Can you sing it again? It was a pity because I didn’t get to see it.” Baekhyun requested.

“Alright... I’ll just sing the chorus. Please excuse me; my voice is quite strained.”

 

As she sang, D.O. was avoiding her face, while Baekhyun is doing the exact opposite. When she finished, Baekhyun applauded her, while D.O. finally stole a glance at her.

“She’s good,” he thought. “She expressed the song’s emotion well.”

 

“...I will not forget it,” Baekhyun uttered, referring to the lyrics of the song’s chorus.

 

“Ha-ha. Baekhyun, you’re such a smooth talker,” Haeri blurted.

 

Hearing this, D.O. burst into a chuckle, astonishing Haeri.

 

“He is...he’s quite flowery in his words,” the former added, grinning.

“Yah Do-dyo, did you just grin?” Baekhyun blurted. “Are you not a smooth talker?”

“... I’m not that type, you know that.” D.O. retorted.

 

Looking at the two bickering, Haeri just chuckled. Not wanting to lose, Baekhyun faced her, and started talking about D.O.

“You know what, Kyungsoo is a nagger. Whenever our group has overnight at the dorm, he would be nagging for almost about everything.”

“Yah, Byun Baekhyun,” the former blurted, dumbfounded. “...stop it.”

Haeri looked at D.O., “Is it true?”

“I-I nag...but they’re like kids, so they make my head hurt,” said Kyungsoo, defensively.

Convinced with his answer, Haeri looked at Baekhyun.

“He’s Do-dyo after all,” she said, smiling. “You must be really playful when all of you are together... ”

“What can we do? Chanyeol, Chen and I can’t sit still nor keep silent for long...but Haeri-sshi, are you taking his side?” Baekhyun uttered, sulking.

“...it’s not like that. When I was in middle school, I was living with my aunt in Gyeonggi-do. During my free days, I used to baby sit my aunt’s children when she was working. She had three kids—a pre-schooler, a toddler and an infant—it was a carnival!”

 

Recalling those times, Haeri laughed. Baekhyun also chuckled, imagining th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter