Cold Start

*Vox Amoris (Voice of Love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day 2

 

As soon as she got off from the bus, Haeri almost ran towards the gate to avoid being late. She met Eunkyung along the way.

 

“Oh, it’s you,” the latter blurted, holding onto the strap of her back pack, slowing down on her pace. “Did you sleep late?”

“Sort of,” Haeri spoke with a sheepish grin.

Speeding up, Eunkyung sighed. “Let’s hurry up. We’ll be dead meat if Miss Nara arrives,” she said, worried.

“Is she our Calculus professor?” Haeri asked amidst brisk walking-slash-running.

“Aiyoo! Just the mention of that subject gives goose bumps all over my body,” Eunkyung paused, clasping her hands together in front of her chest.

Haeri suddenly grabbed Eunkyung’s hand, starting to run. “Let’s hurry up.”

“Y-Yes,” she stuttered as she was being dragged.

 

The moment they got hold of their chairs, they sighed of relief.

“That was close,” they uttered in unison, laughing after.

 

Inside the class room, the students turned silent, as the footsteps of their Calculus professor echoed throughout the corridors.

“Whoa! This thrill is the same as the feeling of being in a dark horror house,” Baekhyun shook his head and shrugged after.

“I really hate this feeling,” Chanyeol mirrored the latter's gesture,  his expression dulling.

Jongdae frowned. "Same for me."

Kyungsoo who was silent as usual, just smiled at his friends’ remarks.

 

“Good morning, class. Please get you workbooks,” Miss Nara, their calculus professor, instructed. “Answer the problems in Tests I and II for Chapter 1.”

 

“Dae~bak! She doesn’t even blink while saying those,” Eunkyung muttered flabbergasted, making Haeri chuckle while slightly covering with her left hand to muffle her noise.

Baekhyun smiled, seeing her chuckle. Seeing this, Chanyeol suddenly elbowed him.

“Focus,” Chanyeol said, softly.

Baekhyun nodded, turning away. “Okay, Park Chanyeol.”

Not minding the two, Kyungsoo slightly looked towards his right where Haeri is seated. He noticed that her laugh slowly faded as she read something on her phone.

 

Keeping her phone inside her outer uniform’s pocket, Haeri sighed.

“Hey, is something bothering you?” Eunkyung whispered.

“It’s nothing...”

“If there’s anything, you can tell me.”

“I will. Thanks.”

 

9:00 am, Chemistry Laboratory-A-2, Natural Sciences and Mathematics Building

 

“Today, you’re going to perform Activities 1 to 3 in your lab manuals. The first two activities will be answered individually,” Miss Lim Jina instructed.

“How about the third activity ma’am?” a girl from the class asked.

 “It’ll be done by group. You’ll be divided into groups of four and since you’re 30 in this section, there’ll be two groups which will only have three members. Do you have any questions?”

“Do we choose our group mates ma’am?” Baekhyun asked, raising his hand.

“Ah, that’s a good question. I have here the list of the groupings for this whole academic year. So, Group 1 will be occupying the area in the left here in front, while Group 2 will be at the back, and so on and so forth. Also, don’t forget to wear your lab gowns. I hope you’ll do well, okay?”

“Ne.”

As students approached their instructor, some girls and boys high-fived, while others teased each other for being group mates. Chanyeol and Jongdae became Group 3 along with Eunkyung, while Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Haeri became Group 2.

“Wow, our group mate’s a scholar from Suwon. Please take care of us,” Baekhyun blurted, making the only girl in their group smile.

“It’s too much of a compliment. I heard that you, Byun Baekhyun-sshi is not bad either,” Haeri replied, modestly.

“You can just call me Baekhyun. You don’t need to be so formal. We’re classmates after all, right D.O.?” the former placed his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

“Just let her decide on that.”

Baekhyun just smiled, dryly. “Although this friend of mine looks a little blank, he’s also a great student.”

“Really? That’s good then,” Haeri smiled.

“Let’s just start our activities,” Kyungsoo uttered flatly, walking towards the experiment table.

Baekhyun slightly tapped Haeri’s shoulder and whispered, “Don’t mind him, he’s got red flag.”

Haeri chuckled, making the said guy turn to face them.

“Yah, I can hear you,” the latter blurted, giving a warning look to Baekhyun.

“Alright, Do-dyo.”

“Why is he called that way?” Haeri asked in a whisper.

“He’s so disciplined, that’s why.”

“I see.”

 

While answering the activities, Baekhyun slightly looked towards his left, where Kyungsoo is seated. Across the latter was Haeri, who was diligently doing the seat work.

“Whoa, I really can’t stand this,” Baekhyun blurted out. “Haeri-sshi, can you help me with this one?”

“Sure, which one is it?” Haeri asked, moving her chair so that she's across from Baekhyun.

“This,” Baekhyun pointed the certain problem on the second activity. He listened attentively as Haeri briefly explained the formula and the problem.

“Whoa, as expected from our scholar...Thanks!” he said, beaming.

“You're welcome,” she responded with a smile.

“It’s supposed to be an individual work,” Kyungsoo blurted out, all of a sudden.

“Hey, I just asked her nicely and she just responded kindly,” Baekhyun muttered, sounding irritated.

“Guys, just forget it, alright?” Haeri mediated in her usual soft voice. “And Baekhyun-sshi, I’m okay. Let’s just hurry up and do the rest of the activities.”

 

Baekhyun sighed while Haeri and Kyungsoo were both silent. They hastened to finish their individual works and they proceeded immediately to the group activity. Baekhyun volunteered for signing out the materials for their Activity 3 which involves viewing of chemical structures of certain substances under the microscope, leaving Haeri and Kyungsoo alone in their area, creating an awkward atmosphere for the two of them. They could not talk to Chanyeol, Jongdae and Eunkyung who were busy preparing for their activity.

 

“...About what I said earlier...I apologize,” Kyungsoo uttered suddenly, not looking at the other.

Not expecting to hear it from him, Haeri was surprised. “You don’t have to. I must’ve offended you. I apologize instead.”

A shocked expression was plastered on Kyungsoo’s face. “Why would she apologize? It’s not even her fault...”  he thought, stealing glances at her from across him.

 

Flashback, eleven years ago...

 

“I’m sorry, but what’s the tune for this part here?” the 7-year old Kyungsoo asked his classmate in his music lessons.

The latter did not respond and later, the teacher approached them.

“What’s the matter?”

“He was asking for the tune of the piece, seonsaengnim.”

“You’re the new student, right?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter