CHAPTER 04 – “HE’S BACK”

"Because It's You"

While in the car Soojin was still in daze, the scenes kept replaying in her mind like a roller-coaster.

Jinyoung called her attention so many times but she just kept looking straight. So Jinyoung had no choice but to distract her by purposely stopping the car which caused Soojin to bump her head at the cars dashboard.

She grunted and touched her forehead, “What… yah! Park Jinyoung”, she slapped his arm and muttered random things like ‘you brat’ ‘are going to kill me’ ‘can’t you drive correctly’ and etc.

Jinyoung massaged his temples and said, “Arghh! I did it to shake you up from your daydream.”

“Hey I am not day dreaming!” Soojin answered back.

Jinyoung spread his arms dramatically, “Then what, I was like talking to you and exactly calling your name for like 37 times already!”

“For real?!” Soojin said in disbelief as she propped herself leaning on the window

“Yeah! Whatever Soojin. Tsk girls are so difficult…” Jinyoung muttered as he starts the car’s engine and began to drive.

For minutes they became silent and then…

“Hey Jinyoung, what are going to say anyways?” Soojin asked him curiously.

He sighed and said, “I was asking if you are okay.”

“I am okay.” She answered bluntly.

“You looked pale back there, I thought you’re gonna puke?” He said stifling a laugh.

“What?! No for heaven’s sakes Jinyoung what kind of question is that.” She said.

“Oh, just kidding. But do you know that guy?” He asked intriguingly.

“Eh? Who?” She said in an inoffensive tone.

He clucked his tongue and said, “Tsk. don’t redirect my question Soojin you know exactly ‘who’ I am talking about.”

“No.” She answered expressionlessly.

“You’re still a bad liar.” He chuckled.

“Huh Really! Tell me about it Mr. ‘Know it all’.” She made air quotes and shrugged defensively.

Her cousin really knew her well, he might be that annoying and childish but he is very keen when it comes to things like these. Without thinking twice Jinyoung blurted out, “He’s your boyfriend, or rather your ‘runaway’ boyfriend.” raising his eyebrows. Soojin just stared at him her eyes full of sadness and angst; she looked away from him and wandered off again. Just then Jinyoung know he was right.

He heard her sigh gloomily and said, “Yeah you’re right, but how did you know about it?”

“Well, I’m Mr. ‘Know it all’ after all.” He said grinning.

“Huh. Whatever”, she replied rolling her eyes at him.

“But seriously you could tell me everything that happened, I’m your cousin.” He said assuringly at her.

Soojin eyes softened and replied, “Gee thanks Jinyoung, were cousins after all.”

“On the happy side were here, so get your off my car now.” Jinyoung beamed at her.

She sighed and muttered, “Yeah right you’re really my cousin.”

Jinyoungs mom waved at them as they entered the house. Soojin readied herself because talking with his mom is worse than having a job interview.

Maybe this meeting would wash away the thoughts she has about Jaebum. Just maybe…

 

 

The next day Soojin woke up feeling good. Disregarding her puffy face and hair that looked like a nest of hundreds of birds. She proceeded on doing her morning routines, dressed up for school and ate her breakfast. As usual Jaerin would wait for her at the entrance, and surely she’s there. But something’s different; they have been friends for a very long time and she could tell that Jaerin was glowing. Well you can tell or feel it when someone is looking good even without efforts.

“Hey! Good morning!” Jaerin said with a big smile painted on her face.

“Ooh, you look good today. What’s up?!” Soojin cooed.

“What? I always look good.” She said straightforwardly.

They both cracked up and shared jokes as they walked to a café since it is still early to go to school so they decided to buy some coffee. After buying coffee they continued walking when suddenly a car stopped at their side.

Soojin snorted knowing it was her cousin, the ever annoying, narcissistic, and clever, Park Jinyoung.

He opened the cars door and motioned them to get inside, and of course who would reject a free ride.

So Soojin sat beside the driver’s seat and Jaerin at the back. They rode quietly to school.

Arriving at school Jinyoung parked the car and then they get off and together they went to their respective rooms. There are several students who have arrived. They sat on their assigned seats as they wait for their teacher to arrive.

A few minutes later the teacher had arrived and just gave them some seat works to do, well how nice. The students sighed and some exchanged hi-fives, but the three of them did their seat works and ignored their noisy classmates. At last the bell rang the cue for lunch break. Students fixed their things and rushed out the room leaving them trailing behind.

 

As they were walking their way to the cafeteria, they saw their homeroom teacher with a boy, a new student they deciphered. It looked like their teacher was touring him and answering questions. They were facing their backs against Soojin and her company.

They should have continued walking to the cafeteria but something makes her want to stay there, a familiar feeling. Hers palms began to sweat, at her side she could hear Jaerin and Jinyoung bickering about something. She ignored it, she kept on looking at the teacher and at that familiar back, she silently prayed that her hints were wrong.

‘Just no’ she thought ‘I could not be him’.

Mixed feelings are running on her when the boy turned around, she gasped and dragged her friends behind the corner. She panicked and her knees turned wobbly, she gripped Jaerin with cold hands, her face pale and shaky breath.

“He… He’s back.” As soon as she said that she started to breakdown, memories flooding reminding her of the past.

Jinyoung stared at them confusingly while Jaerin comforted Soojin, telling her to hush down and forget it. Jaerin took a peek from the wall and there she saw him, the guy who broke her best friend’s heart, who ran away without explanation. ‘This is not so good’ she said to herself. She looked away and pulled Soojin up and brought her away from that place.