CHAPTER 02 – “I WILL BE COMING BACK”

"Because It's You"

…ringgg…ringggg…

Jaebum grunted as he rolled on his bed and slapped the alarm clock. He woke up feeling cold and blank. It was a gloomy morning and the best thing to do is to sip some warm coffee and cuddle up. And speaking of cuddling he remembered Soojin, how could he forget her. He missed her so much than she ever knew. It has been a year since his parent’s death. They died because of a car accident after attending a business meeting in America. Yes, his parents work in America for almost 10 years and he just saw them the past summer break. He and his aunt flew to America the time they received the news. He couldn’t take it all in the shock, the pain, and most of the entire thing that he haven’t spent much time with them and telling them “I Love You”. He only has his aunt with him.

Until now he can’t totally accept the fact that his parents had died, but he’s trying for his aunt and especially for Soojin. They stayed in America to tend the business his parents had. He felt really guilty and stupid for not explaining what had really happened before he left her crying and confused. He tried to call her but he can’t reach her out. He tried email but with no luck. Every time he felt down he always stare at that picture with him and Soojin. He really missed her smile, the way she laughs and every single thing she does. He shrugged and got up from his bed, changed his clothes and went down stairs.

“Good morning, Jaebum. Here drink it.” His aunt handed him a cup of coffee. He lazily sat at the counter leaning on the table while his aunt is reading a newspaper. His aunt noticed his wary expression, and she could tell that something is worrying him except from what happened to his parents.

“Jaebum, dear are you okay?” she said waving her hands on Jaebum’s face. But he just shook his head and sipped his coffee.

“I know something’s bothering you. Come on tell me.” His aunt said with an assuring tone and ready to hear him out.

Jaebum had no choice but to tell his aunt about him and Soojin and how he left her and not telling her the truth and all. Just as then he was finished talking his aunt…

 

“You stupid boy! Why did you do that to her. You …” his aunt got up and smacked him with the newspaper.

“Auntie! Yah! Okay I’m sorry…I  ...” he said covering himself.

“…don’t you know how broken she feels right now, how could you be so selfish! Ugh!” his aunt looked like she’s going to explode

“I’m sorry, I was just overwhelmed because of what had happened and I didn’t know how to tell her... it’s just i...i...” while saying this he couldn’t stop himself from crying, it’s just too heavy for him. His aunt then softened her expression and hugged him.

“Jaebum I know what you feel. Your mom was my sister and we’re very close she’s a very awesome woman and it hurts so much to lose her.” Her aunt told him.

“Auntie, I don’t want to lose Soojin. I know I was stupid and I will never forgive myself if something happened to her because of what I did.”

“You know…” his aunt was then interrupted when her phone rang, “excuse me.” She said and got up from her chair and went the living room. Jaebum just sat there and finished his breakfast. As soon as he was done he cleaned the plates and joined her auntie who was still talking over the phone. He was fidgeting with the hem of his shirt when her aunt suddenly jolted, facing him across the table.

“Jaebum I have good news for us.” She said happily clasping her hands together.

“The lawyer told me that the papers are all done. I’ll be continuing your parents business here.” She told him.

“That’s it? Nothing else?” He asked inquisitively.

“Oh and there’s one more.” his aunt said. His palms were now sweating, he felt exited even though he had no idea of what the news will be. “You will continue your Senior High back in Korea; I’ll be sending you home.”

His aunt said casually and he froze when he heard that he will be going back, the first thing that hit him was that he is going to see Soojin again. He was too absorbed in his own thoughts that he didn’t realize he was crying. His aunt took the seat next to him and hugged him.

“You’re going to see her again, you have to apologize and get her back. Got it.” His aunt told him in a stern tone.

Jabeum unfroze wiped his tears and faced his aunt with a serious face.

“I will win her back Auntie, no matter what will happen. I promise you.”

I will come back just for you Soojin, he thought.